Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Surgery vs. Pills for Life?  (Read 18434 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Surgery vs. Pills for Life?
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2009, 01:53:23 PM »

Hoist, one thing I do and  would suggest you consider is wearing a med alert braclet or something similar that identifies your use of warfarin.  I never think about the outcome of a spill or other accident at home, hunting , fishing boating, etc., because I've already contemplated all that and made my decisions about how I want to live.  However, if something does happen then at least the folks around me will know quickly that I have an anti-coagulent problem and address it as best they can.  I also have let my riding buddies and those I do things with regularly know of my use of warfarin.  If that can help me to survive, great.  All Emergency folks are supposed to be trained to look for these ID's promptly and wife who works in an emergency room indicates that such is pretty true.  I weaar a web one with the metal tag riveted on because I am not a jewlery type guy but they have every style for personal preference.  Just google it if you are interested.   Just a thought.
Thanks for the welcomes.  I have found this board to be very helpful and I appreciate all of it.

I carry a medical alert card in my wallet, but a bracelet might not be a bad idea. I'm sure the wallet's not the first place they'll be looking though. I've been appraised of the dangers of being on this stuff early on. I take it very seriously, which is why I was looking for alternative surgical procedures to get off of it. Since that's not possible, I'll be on it for the rest of my life. I hate wearing jewelry, but it might be time to get used to a Medical Bracelet! Thanks again for all your good suggestions! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2009, 01:55:47 PM »

Coumidin requires routine monitoring (blood draw) to regulate the dose.  It's very easy to have too much or too little.  Ask your Dr. if Plavix would be a suitable alternative.  Their modes of action are different (Plavix inhibits platelet aggregation (like aspirin, but stronger) and Plavix doesn't require monitoring.  Coumidin is a safe but lazy bet for most Dr.'s because it's been around forever.  It keeps them from having to read journals or attend CME classes to learn new therapies.  Bleeding and bruising are still side effects you'll have to live with either way but eliminating the monitoring or eliminating the risk of having too high or too low a dose is worth it.  There is a new anticoagulant coming from Bayer this summer that works more like Coumidinbut won't require monitoring either.

"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2009, 02:04:15 PM »

Coumidin requires routine monitoring (blood draw) to regulate the dose.  It's very easy to have too much or too little.  Ask your Dr. if Plavix would be a suitable alternative.  Their modes of action are different (Plavix inhibits platelet aggregation (like aspirin, but stronger) and Plavix doesn't require monitoring.  Coumidin is a safe but lazy bet for most Dr.'s because it's been around forever.  It keeps them from having to read journals or attend CME classes to learn new therapies.  Bleeding and bruising are still side effects you'll have to live with either way but eliminating the monitoring or eliminating the risk of having too high or too low a dose is worth it.  There is a new anticoagulant coming from Bayer this summer that works more like Coumidinbut won't require monitoring either.

Excellent info Jim! I go once a month for blood tests to monitor the Coumadin level right now. These alternatives without monitoring would help make things a lil more convenient, that's for sure! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2009, 02:21:25 PM »

Hoist, one thing I do and  would suggest you consider is wearing a med alert braclet or something similar that identifies your use of warfarin.  I never think about the outcome of a spill or other accident at home, hunting , fishing boating, etc., because I've already contemplated all that and made my decisions about how I want to live.  However, if something does happen then at least the folks around me will know quickly that I have an anti-coagulent problem and address it as best they can.  I also have let my riding buddies and those I do things with regularly know of my use of warfarin.  If that can help me to survive, great.  All Emergency folks are supposed to be trained to look for these ID's promptly and wife who works in an emergency room indicates that such is pretty true.  I weaar a web one with the metal tag riveted on because I am not a jewlery type guy but they have every style for personal preference.  Just google it if you are interested.   Just a thought.
Thanks for the welcomes.  I have found this board to be very helpful and I appreciate all of it.
Great idear. :2vrolijk_21: What I do is keep "Emergency Info" card in my wallet with contact info, meds I'm on, and any other pertinant information. All this would help if you were to go down and be unable to give this info to emergency care provider.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2009, 02:39:18 PM »

I just saw this thread.  Knew I wasn't going to like it, even before I opened it, just based on the title.

I was on Comodan after my accident.  The doc told me "you'll have to give yourself shots in the stomach".  I said "oh doc.....I don't think I can do that".  He said "oh JC, I don't think you can go home".  I immediatly replied "oh doc......shots in the stomach.....no problem".

They give you all the caution talk that makes you scared to climb out of bed.  But they were taking the blood samples twice a week for six months.  I wish you the best of luck with it, Howie!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »

Hi Hoist!,
Like others have said having a medic alert bracelet or necklace is important if you have an active life and may get injured. A wallet card is important also but it may not get spotted right away if you have lots of stuff in your wallet or the wallet falls out during the accident and it's not near you or some thief takes the wallet as it's in the road etc.
Monitoring your levels can be a pain....I have to do it weekly as part of a study but I have a home monitoring kit so I don't have to go see the doctor every week and pay the copay each time, I just phone in my results to the study doctor and my cardiologist. Maybe you could get one of these at home systems if you stay on blood thinners?
David

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »

Howie, ID bracelet or necklace would probably be a good idea. They might not look at you wallet right away, the hospital will, looking for insurance card! Not funny, but pretty much true. So keep you med card in front of your insurance card.  

My licence is marked with a donor heart, so they probably won't look any further! :'(

Craig

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »

Howie,
  Just stumbled on this topic.Explains why you rode so
 Conservative in the Adirondacks.You've got the right answer.Like I've told my wife
 You can't live your life afraid of what might happen
     Jim

'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2009, 04:43:38 PM »

Holy crap! Man did this thing take off again! I really appreciate everyone's comments and kind thoughts on this. And when we're healthy enough to just take pills, they say we're fortunate. I would have opted to take my chances surgically to get off these pills, but that's not an option at all. But I ain't lettin them pills control my life either! Dr says stop doing dangerous things. I say NO WAY! She says "Be careful!" I say I'm always careful. But chit happens too. And to that I say it is what it is! What will be, will be! One day we all wake up dead. I'm way not up to that yet. But when my number's called................................! ;)

Thanks again for all the participation here gang!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »

At least in your case there sure ain't no way you going young and leaving a good lookin corpse... :P ;)

Stay well pal...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2009, 05:24:37 PM »

At least in your case there sure ain't no way you going young and leaving a good lookin corpse... :P ;)

Stay well pal...

HeHe!!! Mike, I plan on sucking every breath I can from this decrepit decaying ole body of mine!!! By the time I'm done with it, nobody's gonna want what's left!!! ::) ??? :nixweiss: ;D ;D ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

screwup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC 3
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »

9 years ago i was diagonsed with cartilage pressing against my spinal cord, hands were going to sleep on me at times.   surgury was one answer, however two second oplinions were to try cortzazone injections, they worked for about 4 years so will see if there are any changes this time around.  According to to doc a sudden jar, fall, etc would or could sever the spinal Hoist:  pills are a way of life at our ages, Hoist so just keep up with them and be safe.   hopefully see u in eureka springs.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2009, 07:44:08 PM »

9 years ago i was diagonsed with cartilage pressing against my spinal cord, hands were going to sleep on me at times.   surgury was one answer, however two second oplinions were to try cortzazone injections, they worked for about 4 years so will see if there are any changes this time around.  According to to doc a sudden jar, fall, etc would or could sever the spinal Hoist:  pills are a way of life at our ages, Hoist so just keep up with them and be safe.   hopefully see u in eureka springs.

Thanks SU! That's all I can do as I don't even have a choice anyway! And I hope to see ya there in May too!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2009, 07:56:54 PM »

Howie,
Man this has resurfaced big time. If in your situation, I'd surely get a bracelet (maybe one with flames?).

Riding a Harley, the wallet is probably the last place anyone official will nose around in since they pretty much know we've spent our hard earned dough already and the cards at best are near maxed out on chrome bling and those darn extended service/warrant plans.  :huepfenjump3:

Good luck with your ongoing treatment bro!

:drink:
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2009, 08:00:40 PM »

Howie,
Man this has resurfaced big time. If in your situation, I'd surely get a bracelet (maybe one with flames?).

Riding a Harley, the wallet is probably the last place anyone official will nose around in since they pretty much know we've spent our hard earned dough already and the cards at best are near maxed out on chrome bling and those darn extended service/warrant plans.  :huepfenjump3:

Good luck with your ongoing treatment bro!

:drink:
Joe

Thanks Joe! I agree. Now Binx will get one for me. I kinda refused to wear one previously. Just always hated wearing ANY kinda jewelry! :nixweiss:

And a very Happy New Year to ya Bro!!! :drink: :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 24 queries.