Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Surgery vs. Pills for Life?  (Read 18436 times)

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
Re: Surgery vs. Pills for Life?
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2009, 08:04:03 PM »

Hey Howie i just saw this thread and i hope all works out fine for you.A bracelet that says harley davidson on it would look cool. :drink:
Ridin Legend

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2009, 08:06:09 PM »

Hey Howie i just saw this thread and i hope all works out fine for you.A bracelet that says harley davidson on it would look cool. :drink:

Thanks Al. Great idea! Maybe combine yours and Joe's idea, a Flame HD Bracelet!!! :2vrolijk_21:

And a HNY to you too Al!!! :drink: :drink: :drink: :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2009, 11:26:01 PM »

Probably be in the next accessory catalogue.Harley medical alert bracelets.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »

How about a group buy on the bracelets?  :2vrolijk_21:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »

How about a group buy on the bracelets?  :2vrolijk_21:

HeHe!!! I'll get Sean to design it, and get Don to start a Group Buy for them!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Red07

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2009, 04:52:52 PM »

Thanks Jerry. I'm meeting my Cardiologist on Tuesday to discuss this. If she tells me there is no surgical alternative, I'll need other opinions to confirm that. If it's true, I guess I'm stuck with the pills. If she tells me it can be surgically repaired, I'll have a decision to make. Then I'll probably have to fight w/ the Factory (Insurance Company) who will probably only want to keep paying for the pills under the w.....ty! I wasn't looking for advice, as much as wondering what some of you would do should you be faced with this. Thanks again.
Hoist! 8)

Hoist,

A few years ago I had a stroke and the first thing that I thought about was not being able to ride. I was lucky that I made a good recovery not perfect but good I am able to ride and work just cant remember real well but at 52 who can.
The thing about it is every time I get on the bike I wander if it might happen again it used to bother me but ridding is what I enjoy most. I don't have a death wish I have a wish to Live. Every time we get on our bikes there is that chance that something might happen. Take the meds and ride.

Walt

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2009, 04:56:56 PM »

Hoist,

A few years ago I had a stroke and the first thing that I thought about was not being able to ride. I was lucky that I made a good recovery not perfect but good I am able to ride and work just cant remember real well but at 52 who can.
The thing about it is every time I get on the bike I wander if it might happen again it used to bother me but ridding is what I enjoy most. I don't have a death wish I have a wish to Live. Every time we get on our bikes there is that chance that something might happen. Take the meds and ride.

Walt

And that's exactly what I do! Thanks so much Walt! Be well man! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2009, 06:15:37 PM »

Howie,
Just ran across this thread today.  I didn't read all eleven pages so I don't know what the outcome was with your visit to your cardiologist.  Hope everything has worked out your you!
 :2vrolijk_21:

I had to have open heart surgery at the age of 31!  In 1980 the odds of surviving the surgery was MUCH LESS than it is now, but I didn't have any choice.  I went to my doctor with "indigestion" on a Thursday morning.  He sent me to a cardiologist that afternoon.  After doing a cath I was told that I had an artery that was 99% blocked.  The doctor gave me two choices, one, have the bypass, two die.  They did the surgery that night.

The surgery saved my life in more ways than one.  Besides fixing the blockage it made me realize that all the drugs that I took in the 60's and 70's had to stop!  And believe me I took um all and a lot of um!

Anyway, what I wanted to tell you is since the surgery I take four medicines every day to help prevent future problems.  Metoprolol (beta blocker), Vytorin (to control cholesterol), Monopril (ACE inhibitor) and aspirin.  I had been riding a bike since I was thirteen and decided to give it up after the surgery because the doctors told me that if I had an accident in the wrong place and couldn't get medical treatment I could bleed to death.  That scared me so bad for the first year I wouldn't even leave town in a car!  No vacations, no trips, I stayed home for at least a year!

As you know I got over my fear of being more than 20 miles from a hospital.  After a lot of thought I decided that if I wanted to enjoy life and do what I loved most, riding, it was worth the risk!  And it's not just a little ride here and there, usually 15k a year!  Do I still think about the risk? You bet!

Ride safe!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 06:19:38 PM by 07hd110 »

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2009, 06:35:02 PM »

Howie,
Just ran across this thread today.  I didn't read all eleven pages so I don't know what the outcome was with your visit to your cardiologist.  Hope everything has worked out your you!

I had to have open heart surgery at the age of 31!  In 1980 the odds of surviving the surgery was MUCH LESS than it is now, but I didn't have any choice.  I went to my doctor with "indigestion" on a Thursday morning.  He sent me to a cardiologist that afternoon.  After doing a cath I was told that I had an artery that was 99% blocked.  The doctor gave me two choices, one, have the bypass, two die.  They did the surgery that night.

The surgery saved my life in more ways than one.  Besides fixing the blockage it made me realize that all the drugs that I took in the 60's and 70's had to stop!  And believe me I took um all and a lot of um!

Anyway, what I wanted to tell you is since the surgery I take four medicines every day to help prevent future problems.  Metoprolol (beta blocker), Vytorin (to control cholesterol), Monopril (ACE inhibitor) and aspirin.  I had been riding a bike since I was thirteen and decided to give it up after the surgery because the doctors told me that if I had an accident in the wrong place and couldn't get medical treatment I could bleed to death.  That scared me so bad for the first year I wouldn't even leave town in a car!  No vacations, no trips, I stayed home for at least a year!

As you know I got over my fear of being more than 20 miles from a hospital.  After a lot of thought I decided that if I wanted to enjoy life and do what I loved most, riding, it was worth the risk!  And it's not just a little ride here and there, usually 15k a year!  Do I still think about the risk? You bet!

Ride safe!

Wow Tommy, that was a very young age for that! Glad you've been doing well all this time since. While never having any heart surgery I can't see myself giving up riding unless I'm physically not able to for some reason. And I'd have to be real bad to not be able to ride a trike if I couldn't 2-wheel it anymore! Never gave it a passing thought when the Dr told me to stop riding. But we all have different priorities and thresholds! I commend ya for getting back in the saddle and stayin in it! I wouldn't have it any other way! :2vrolijk_21:

Yep, that's pretty much my routine too. Coumadin, Crestor, Altace and Coreg. Same as you, but Coumadin instead of aspirin. Taking the pills isn't any issue for me. The dangers of the ramifications if something happens, led me to start this thread and look for alternatives. But alas, there are none. And like I said, giving up riding's not an option. So like you, I'll do my best and leave the rest to fate! ;)

Happy New Year to ya Tommy! :drink: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2009, 06:56:10 PM »

I take Cardizem, Lisinopril, Metoprolol, Norvasc, Pravachol, Coumadin, Isosorbide Mononitrate,81mg Aspirin  and Nitroquick for a variety of heart issues. I also carry Hydrocodone and Celebrex for my lumbar spinal stenosis and Xanax for stress.  Lastly an acid reflux med called Omeprazole because all of the above cause major heartburn. I usually carry a months's supply of everything when I'm out on the road. Basicallly I'm a walking pharmacy if you need something on a run.

B B

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2009, 07:00:30 PM »

DAMN BB. You definately a TP to travel!
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2009, 07:29:56 PM »

Hoist,

Mite ya not be usin the Ganga man at da partie?  We kant be havin ya fallin down no.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2009, 07:39:45 PM »

Howie,
    Take the meds for now,  there are new treatments entering clinicals each and every day........mark my words,  soon they'll be able to remove brain tumors via you a$$hole.  The robotics company that I work for now is doing some pretty cool stuff (especially cardiac MIS).  Hang in there,  do what you love to do,  and be careful.  Also let those around you know what you're on so that if something stupid does happen,  they can take the proper actions to help in an emergency.

Stay tough....

_Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »

mark my words,  soon they'll be able to remove brain tumors via you a$$hole.

_Beags
  I am so glad you posted this.  The wife says when it comes to Harleys, my head is so far up my butt.. I can see yesterday.  Good to know that someday I can get it removed..  then I can see tomorrow

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2009, 07:52:41 PM »

So I have to ask.......what kind of bike does she ride??????

Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 24 queries.