Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Can you ride with no hands?  (Read 6989 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Can you ride with no hands?
« on: July 31, 2007, 12:45:08 PM »

I have noticed that I can not ride with no hands for a split second. I thought the bike should be able to run  a straight line a 50 miles per hour on a good road. Not that I will plan on this but  I question is the bike aligned right. I have seen people ride for some distance like this. My bike tends to move the right no matter which lane or where I'm at in the tire tracks.  Just wondering if this is normal? Thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Can you ride with no hands?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 12:49:29 PM »

I have noticed that I can not ride with no hands for a split second. I thought the bike should be able to run  a straight line a 50 miles per hour on a good road. Not that I will plan on this but  I question is the bike aligned right. I have seen people ride for some distance like this. My bike tends to move the right no matter which lane or where I'm at in the tire tracks.  Just wondering if this is normal? Thanks Billy

Hey Billy, are you sure you're sitting straight on it and not shifting your weight at all? Are you trying it on flat roads or are they crowned? My bike tracks perfectly straight and can keep my hands off as long as the road allows. I only tried it to see, but I never ride like this except to strech my arms and back sometimes.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »

Generally this is the way it is, most roads have a crown, your bike will drift away from that high spot, it is easily compensated for with a slight lean to the left.  I ride with no hands alot.  There was a nice officer in FL who pulled me over to ask that I not, but once he was gone I did again.  :D\

Woohoo.....post # 1000 for me....... :P

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 12:50:54 PM »

Pretty normal. I can ride with no hands, but it usually requires moving to one side or the other, and then it only lasts for a bit before it drifts further/faster than I can persuade it with my body. These are big heavy bikes and don't respond to weight shifts like smaller and lighter bikes do. You've always got road crowns that will send you one way or another too.

:indian_chief:

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 12:54:03 PM »

I prefer to ride with no hands so I have time to read American Iron.  -Just stick a knee out to grab some air to go around corners.  - :huepfenlol2: -Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 12:54:09 PM »

The bikes are self centering.  Have some one look at the steering head bearings probably need to be adjusted.   :2vrolijk_21:
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 12:58:41 PM »

if you have more weight in one saddle bag compaired too the other ,,you will drift
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 01:04:38 PM »

Mine runs straight as an arrow, your wheels may not be in alignment. There are several ways to check this, but if you have a long enough straight edge you can run it along your wheels while someone holds the bike up and the front wheel straight. If they are in alignment the straight edge should hit your tires in two different spots one in front and one in the back of each wheel/tire. If not then you need to look at where it's not hitting and figure which way the rear wheel needs to be cocked to get it straight. If your swing arm is off then that's a whole different story, and theres a section in the service manual on how to correct that.

Could be a fat wallet in your back pocket, to fix that buy more parts for you bike!!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:07:06 PM by Talon »

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 01:08:43 PM »

Mine always drifted to the left, until I installed Metzeler tires.  Now, no hands and straight as an arrow.  Same bike, same roads, tires were the only change.  Oh, and the ride is SO much better too.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 01:16:40 PM »

Pretty normal I can ride with no hands :pepper:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 01:25:04 PM »

Yup, especially to light a cigar with the new cigar lighter in the FAIRING...

Miker

bobaroni

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 1999 Dyna LowRider
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »

I only have trouble if I stand on the seat at the same time. :orange:
Seriously though, with electronic cruise it's hard not to go no hands occasionally. Mine rides straight.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 01:47:17 PM »

SCRM-R, you alignment might have been off a little and when they change the tire they corrected the alignment.    :nixweiss:

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 01:51:13 PM »

I ride for miles without my hands on the bars. Usually without my eyes on the road either.... ;)
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 02:24:37 PM »

Billy,

Lots of good ideas listed so far, let's recap some of them:

1.  Road crown - try riding in the left lane (ahh, preferably on a four lane road) and see if the bike still pulls right.  If it pulls left, looks like a crown issue.  If it still pulls right, probably not the road.

2.  Steering head bearings - if they are too tight they might not let the front end self center.  Have them checked in conjunction with an alignment check.  Related item - check for binding cables, brake lines, and electrical harnesses that could bias the front end to the right.  This is more common than you might think.

3.  Alignment - not only horizontal but vertical as well.  Need some special tools for this, have a shop check it in conjunction with the head bearing fall away check.

4.  Tire kinesity(sp?) - tires can have pull built in to them.  Easy to check on a car by swapping tires side-to-side or car-to-car, a little tougher to diagnose on a bike without a source of wheels/tires to swap around.

5.  Drag - is there more wind resistance on the right side for some reason?  Remove the fat wallet from the left rear pocket and send to me for safe keeping, try test ride again.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.