Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34

Author Topic: ENGINE MODS AND UPGRADES!!!!  (Read 46338 times)

REGGAB

Re: ENGINE MODS AND UPGRADES!!!!
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2007, 04:12:18 PM »

Got pictures!!!!  Here's one with the front jug exhaust, pushrods, A/C assembly and cam cover removed and set up for runout measurements.

REGGAB

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2007, 04:13:12 PM »

Closer view of the cam case.  That tensior shoe doesn't look half bad for 18,351 miles from that angle.  Having lived the cam chain tensioner nightmare before, I'm pleasantly surprised.  The one on the other side of the cam support plate will be interesting to see.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 04:16:07 PM by REGGAB »

REGGAB

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2007, 04:17:22 PM »

Zeroed for runout check

REGGAB

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2007, 04:18:59 PM »

Runout measurement.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2007, 04:35:04 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong but .012 is awesome, no?!!!

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2007, 05:25:45 PM »

0.002 actually, which is within the 0.003 tolerance.  Should be good to go.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2007, 07:38:17 PM »

Looks like .0021". ::) So, you're leaving the bottom end alone and not splitting the cases? How many miles on your motor? Just curious. I'm looking for any excuse to do the Timkin and Flywheels! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2007, 07:41:25 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong but .012 is awesome, no?!!!

.0012 is awesome! .012 is horrible Seeg! Shouldn't really be more than .001". S&S says .002". HD says .003". HD doesn't replace engines til .008"! WTF! Try running a gear drive at .008"! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

REGGAB

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2007, 07:57:15 PM »

Looks like .0021". ::) So, you're leaving the bottom end alone and not splitting the cases? How many miles on your motor? Just curious. I'm looking for any excuse to do the Timkin and Flywheels! ;)

Hoist! 8)

That's right!
See reply #47

Henry  ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:02:55 PM by REGGAB »

REGGAB

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2007, 07:58:20 PM »

0.002 actually, which is within the 0.003 tolerance.  Should be good to go.

Jerry

Yep, she's good.......and the GMR cam plate will take care of the rest.

Henry

REGGAB

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2007, 08:00:32 PM »

.0012 is awesome! .012 is horrible Seeg! Shouldn't really be more than .001". S&S says .002". HD says .003". HD doesn't replace engines til .008"! WTF! Try running a gear drive at .008"! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Says who?  :nixweiss: I wanna know.  :nixweiss: If that is true, then why is .003" the OEM tolerance?  :nixweiss:

Henry
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:10:21 PM by REGGAB »

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2007, 08:23:14 PM »

Says who?  :nixweiss: I wanna know.  :nixweiss: If that is true, then why is .003" the OEM tolerance?  :nixweiss:

Henry

the bike in pics behind henrys is 07 heritage. .015 runout on chinese cast crank. HD refused to warranty from three different dealers.

andrews says .004 is okay , but borderline. looking at the gauge, you see .002 from my angle, eyeball, i saw .0022. this is within everyones allowed tolerance---------no matter who you quote.

funny thing is---------look at all the people that never check runout, just stick gear drive in the bike and bolt it together. then bitch about worn oil pumps and noise----------------------------------------------------that would be a dealer job, if they would even venture to do a job like this. their game is to take parts from a box and screw them together. :nixweiss:

REGGAB

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2007, 08:47:14 PM »

the bike in pics behind henrys is 07 heritage. .015 runout on chinese cast crank. HD refused to warranty from three different dealers.

andrews says .004 is okay , but borderline. looking at the gauge, you see .002 from my angle, eyeball, i saw .0022. this is within everyones allowed tolerance---------no matter who you quote.

funny thing is---------look at all the people that never check runout, just stick gear drive in the bike and bolt it together. then bitch about worn oil pumps and noise----------------------------------------------------that would be a dealer job, if they would even venture to do a job like this. their game is to take parts from a box and screw them together. :nixweiss:

THAT'S what I thought.  Thanks for clearing this up, Red.  I have no idea where the .001" came from.  I've looked all over the place, and I've never seen a .001" runout tolerance limit.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2007, 09:27:21 PM »

THAT'S what I thought.  Thanks for clearing this up, Red.  I have no idea where the .001" came from.  I've looked all over the place, and I've never seen a .001" runout tolerance limit.

back in the day, when we used to actually true wheels in shop, we strived for less than .001. on jjap bikes that turned 16000 rpm, we strived for .0005 or less. this was with a 2 lb sledge to adjust wheel true! its much easier to farm the labor out now to someone who has spent tons of money on precision machinery, and hired a school kid to whack the wheels with a hammer at $6 an hour. lol

when working at another shop that advertised their accuracy, we found most major wheelset vendors needed their in the box wheels both balanced and trued------most folks trust these vendors and just drop the parts in the cases without checking. blueprinting a motor is as accurate as you want it to be-------but if you look at the manufactors tolerance limits and use those for the deciding factor, you have piece of mind that the motor will stay together as designed. if someone wants their wheelset at less than .001 runout, it can be arranged.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2007, 03:27:51 AM »

UHHHH sorry guys lost a "0" in the typing.  Thanx for the info should go wonderful in my Dummies Guide.   ;) :-[

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.