Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: HD Cust Serv Call Campaign - 110 Head Gaskets  (Read 60326 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: HD Cust Serv Call Campaign - 110 Head Gaskets
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2007, 08:45:28 PM »

In a perfect world, yes.  However my prediction is that they will say "This is not a Burger King, you get it out way, or you don't get the SOB at all!" :coolblue:

Steve, never said they'd accept it  :huepfenlol2:  .  It is the MoCo after all.  Fair has nothing to do with it when working with HDI.  It is, however, exactly what I'd start with and be willing to make rather loud noises with to try and get the new motor with.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2007, 09:01:11 AM »

I left my leaking but running bike at the dealership on Wendsday to have the motor and transmission replaced. I was told it would be ready on Friday afternoon.
I called on Friday and was told the new motor had no oil pressure. I called the mo co and tried the "0" trick and got a receptionist who asked me for my trouble ticket number I told her I did not have it with me and asked to speak to someone with the authority to make a decision, I was promptly put on hold for 20 minutes. I popped out on Phillips phone and was told that my trouble ticket was closed. I asked how that could be as I didn't have my bike and the new engine had no oil pressure, he said he would put his technical people in touch with my dealer and try to solve the problem. I went to the dealer on Saturday and they told me they ran it with no oil pressure but they didn't think it was hurt. They took it back out and found the problem the, the return oil passage in the transmission was blocked by a silicone plug. It was jammed in so tight that they had to break it up to remove it. they also removed the oil pump and let me inspect it. I checked the cams lifters and rockers, no signs of damage.

Now for the question of the day do I let them put it back together or do I ask for another new motor. i am about tired of this crap.This $35,000 "Custom Vehicle Operations" Hand Built with Care Bike has been apart more times than my 10 year old grandsons erector set.

:confused5:   Do you know if the MoCo shipped the transmission already assembled to the engine, or separately?  The reason I ask is that the MoCo claims it runs every engine before it ships it (either to the customer or to the assembly operation).  If they installed the trans without first pulling the shipping plugs, they should have found the problem when they ran the engine.  However, if they shipped the engine and trans separately to the dealer, removing those shipping plugs becomes the responsibility of the dealer.

If the oil return line was plugged, I assume they had some oil pressure until the sump was sucked dry.  The question becomes, how long and under what kind of load did they run the engine when the pressure dropped?  If they just ran it in neutral and shut it down as soon as they noticed the pressure drop, it's unlikely they damaged anything.  Unfortunately, the parts they showed you aren't the only ones that would be damaged if they ran without pressure very long.  Pistons and cylinder walls would be my concern, especially on a brand new engine, and the plain bearings for the cams. 

Twolane offers a good suggestion.  Find the supervisor/manager of the customer relations organization, calmly but forcefully explain the circumstances, and ask for a new engine or at the very least an extended warranty. 

Ultimately, we can all offer up suggestions, but it really comes down to how you personally feel about the situation.  If you take the bike as is, are you going to be able to put this out of your mind and enjoy the bike, or is it going to be like a festering sore that worries you every time you take the bike out for a ride?  If it would constantly be on your mind, then by all means hold out for another new engine, or a totally new bike, or a full refund if it comes to that. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

patbowdy

• CVO1: 07 screamin eagle ultra
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »

Thanks Jerry, the engine and trans were shipped separately. The mechanic looked for the plug before assembly but due to the fact it was so far up,the pasage he missed it.

I was told that it only ran for a few seconds. I think you are right about the fact that this is really a matter of perseption and how I feel about knowing it ran without oil pressure. Tomorrow when the dealer reopens I hope that I have spoken with the the consumer advocate from the motor company.

As I said this thing has been apart more times than my Grandsons erector set. I think I have reached the point were the aggravation has overbalanced the pleasure and I should walk away.
Some days are magic, some days are tragic

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2007, 09:27:17 AM »

well, I'm joining the leaking head gasket club :bigcry:

So I call HD customer service, 414-343-4056 at 8:05am, 10/12, press 0, and get a nice lady that tells me the 'customer service' dept is in a meeting and unable to take calls?!!? (what, a 3 of 'em?)
As soon as I mentioned my SEUC is leakin' more oil than my old '76 shovelhead and that the bike is 4 months old and has been in for other 'covered' repairs and what is the solution for buying a $35K 'lemon'?,
she says - "oh, let me give you a reference # and have them call you back today".

Hmmm, she already had my info on file, but didn't ask for a current phone#.....
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2007, 11:00:09 AM »

well, I'm joining the leaking head gasket club :bigcry:

So I call HD customer service, 414-343-4056 at 8:05am, 10/12, press 0, and get a nice lady that tells me the 'customer service' dept is in a meeting and unable to take calls?!!? (what, a 3 of 'em?)
As soon as I mentioned my SEUC is leakin' more oil than my old '76 shovelhead and that the bike is 4 months old and has been in for other 'covered' repairs and what is the solution for buying a $35K 'lemon'?,
she says - "oh, let me give you a reference # and have them call you back today".

Hmmm, she already had my info on file, but didn't ask for a current phone#.....

As a pioneer in this arena, (not something to be proud of)  I called everyday until someone finally called back with a plan even thought I was promised a call.  After ther third day, they answered the phone "hello Phil".  They get your number from caller ID and know who is calling.

Good luck.  Maybe HD is changing the script to announce a real fix!
Any day on the bike is a good day.

ae8850t

• CVO1: 07 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2007, 12:51:52 PM »

Well Gents,

I dropped my 07 FLHTCUSE2 off on Tuesday at Kelly HD in Billerica, MA with oil seeping from the rear cylinder and a trace at the front cylinder. The service personnel were well aware of the head gasket issue as well as the crank runout issue. They, much to my surprise, said they were going to check the crank runout before doing anything, because "if it is bad, then we'll be looking at a new engine". All I can say is these guys have been great so far and very willing to do the right thing with NO cost to me. I spoke with them again this morning and they said the crank checked OK at .003". They have ordered new cylinders, pistons, and rings as well as the latest head gasket revision. They said the cyclinders are on national back order but they should be in within a week, and that as soon as the parts are available, they will get my bike back together pronto. As I said, these guys at Kelly HD have been great so far. I'll keep this post updated as things progress.

Paul
Rinehart True Duals
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stg.1 A/F kit
SERT
SE 251 Cam Kit
SE QI Push Rods
HPI 51mm TB

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2007, 01:09:08 PM »

Well Gents,

I dropped my 07 FLHTCUSE2 off on Tuesday at Kelly HD in Billerica, MA with oil seeping from the rear cylinder and a trace at the front cylinder. The service personnel were well aware of the head gasket issue as well as the crank runout issue. They, much to my surprise, said they were going to check the crank runout before doing anything, because "if it is bad, then we'll be looking at a new engine". All I can say is these guys have been great so far and very willing to do the right thing with NO cost to me. I spoke with them again this morning and they said the crank checked OK at .003". They have ordered new cylinders, pistons, and rings as well as the latest head gasket revision. They said the cyclinders are on national back order but they should be in within a week, and that as soon as the parts are available, they will get my bike back together pronto. As I said, these guys at Kelly HD have been great so far. I'll keep this post updated as things progress.

Paul

I just left there.  They have done all my work. My engine was replaced several weeksd ago for runout before changing the cylinders for the leak.  Good luck.

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2007, 10:30:03 PM »

Well, I just joined the club too. I have had all the 110 issues listed. I was wondering why the bike was vibrating a lot more than when I bought it recently.

Long story short. Had an  ACR melt down and left me stranded. Had an ECM fuse blow and never found the reason but it left me stranded too till I found out where the spa
res were in the fuse box.  Left the bike with the dealer yesterday to fix a profusely leaking rear cylinder head gasket. He said it was a cylinder sleeve issue and he has done 4 of them already. Now I am going to tell them to stop work when they get the cylinder off and I want to personally check flywheel runout. What is specified tolerance?

I am pissed but will be very pleasant til I don't get the thing fixed.
02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2007, 10:40:25 PM »

Well, I just joined the club too. I have had all the 110 issues listed. I was wondering why the bike was vibrating a lot more than when I bought it recently.

Long story short. Had an  ACR melt down and left me stranded. Had an ECM fuse blow and never found the reason but it left me stranded too till I found out where the spa
res were in the fuse box.  Left the bike with the dealer yesterday to fix a profusely leaking rear cylinder head gasket. He said it was a cylinder sleeve issue and he has done 4 of them already. Now I am going to tell them to stop work when they get the cylinder off and I want to personally check flywheel runout. What is specified tolerance?

I am pissed but will be very pleasant til I don't get the thing fixed.

The ACR wires shorting out blow the ECM fuse. It might have been intermittent before it fried completely. Piss poor design on those ACRs and it's wiring. That's why I got rid of them, and installed manuals near the spark plugs. Runout at the pinion shaft was recently changed to .012". Another scam. If you can't fix the problem, change the spec. I hope the new cylinders fix these HG leak issues. I'm not convinced of that yet. Good luck and let us know what they do for you. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

patbowdy

• CVO1: 07 screamin eagle ultra
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2007, 08:15:48 AM »

Well the saga has ended. I am no longer the proud owner of an 07 SE ultra. Last Tuesday the Motor Company purchased it back from me at 100% minus $500. for Mileage from new to 1200 (the time of the first service visit). I am happy to not have to deal with it any more but miss the bike. I have found a used 07 RK and have purchased it to have something to ride.

Actually the new motor and trans seemed to improve the noise and vibration and if this would have been done in the beginning and not after 7000 miles of agrevation I would still have it. But as most the large majority of bike owners, I bought it for relaxation and pleasure and that was not happening I want to thank the members of CVOHARLEY for the all of the information and suggestions,
Some days are magic, some days are tragic

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2007, 09:39:12 AM »

Well the saga has ended. I am no longer the proud owner of an 07 SE ultra. Last Tuesday the Motor Company purchased it back from me at 100% minus $500. for Mileage from new to 1200 (the time of the first service visit). I am happy to not have to deal with it any more but miss the bike. I have found a used 07 RK and have purchased it to have something to ride.

Actually the new motor and trans seemed to improve the noise and vibration and if this would have been done in the beginning and not after 7000 miles of agrevation I would still have it. But as most the large majority of bike owners, I bought it for relaxation and pleasure and that was not happening I want to thank the members of CVOHARLEY for the all of the information and suggestions,

Wow! That's interseting.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2007, 11:42:30 AM »

I'm glad it worked out for you.  Good luck with the new motor.  It's good to see them step up to the plate. 

Gordon_on_a_Sporty

• Banned
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2007, 05:38:49 PM »

If more you you had balls like skreminegul07 your problems would be solved. I've been lerking for a long time and cant get over the wininng, some of you do, not to mention the worse of them all.. Mr Cheif.

Now see Mr Cheif..see how easy it really is?? The lemon law protects the comon consumer. Now put all them moan and groning wors you been crying over the lase several months and go talk to you dealer.. You're like a darn broken record that wont stop!!!

Now how do you like that from a new member entree.... More to come folks... Unless i get politically booted.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2007, 05:55:47 PM »

If more you you had balls like skreminegul07 your problems would be solved. I've been lerking for a long time and cant get over the wininng, some of you do, not to mention the worse of them all.. Mr Cheif.

Now see Mr Cheif..see how easy it really is?? The lemon law protects the comon consumer. Now put all them moan and groning wors you been crying over the lase several months and go talk to you dealer.. You're like a darn broken record that wont stop!!!

Now how do you like that from a new member entree.... More to come folks... Unless i get politically booted.

Thanks for the compliment I think, although it wasn't me that had the bike bought back, it was Patbowdy.  I did have my motor and tranny recently replaced.  I don't actually know where you are coming from either?  Do you have a 110" motor with multiple issues?  I think you cannot understand the frustration level being one of the "elite".
I'd sell mine back in a NY minute. 
How would you suggest we proceed?
I do  not share your views on Chief, who has had his share of BS from the moco.
Not knocking you but I for one would like to hear how you could help us all achieve balls.
Have you had any experience with the lemon law? Although each state is different, in Mass the life of a motorcycle is 25000 miles, in NH its 20000 which means if I pay the $250 filing fee and give them one more chance to fix it, the depreciation would be a killer.  Were you aware of this?
We're all here to help each other.

This topic was intended to be a repository for issues, so maybe we should take this topic to a new thread.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2007, 06:55:16 PM »

First of all, I don't know about other states but in Tennessee, motorcycles and boats don't qualify under the lemon law.
Secondly, I know it was your first post but notice the "spell check" window, you might want to try it on your next post. ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 24 queries.