Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Glasses, Advancing Years Sucks  (Read 5329 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Glasses, Advancing Years Sucks
« on: February 26, 2005, 02:20:36 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen and Others.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 02:21:02 PM by twolanerider »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Glasses, Advancing Years Sucks
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 02:29:53 PM »

This is probably going to end up getting moved to "Other Topics," but there are prescription goggles available made specifically for riding.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 02:30:34 PM by 103tHunDer »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 02:37:29 PM »

The name just came to me (guess you're not the only one getting old!) - Panoptx.  Here's a link: http://www.panoptx.com/

mfgreen

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 03:03:13 PM »

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 03:03:30 PM »

I don

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 03:54:17 PM »

Good for you twolanerider for moving this yourself to a more appropriate thread. I'm still not good at it.

You asked what were the issues with wearing glasses and;
BUGS

Yeah, MFG has it right. You get a little mosquito on the lower part of the trifolds.... and they get looking REAL BIG!

I actually got my trifocal glasses and they transition, so can wear behind fullface when it is cold or really raining a lot, and I have the panoptyks that change automatically and I just can't read with them. The transitions are great when you are going in and out of tunnels. Especially in the mountains. I am too scared to take my hands of the handlebars, so the transitions help a lot. On the bike, not trying to read and can still see plenty good enough to read the big hiway signs and keep in between the lines.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 03:55:40 PM by Mrs._WeCVO »

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 04:23:49 PM »

Have you thought about Lasik? I know it won't solve problems with reading but for distance vision it is awesome. One of the best things I have done in my life was getting this simple procedure done and now I am 20/15 with both eyes and 20/20 in each. I played the  game with contacts and glasses too long. Now when I'm ready to ride, or fly I throw on a pair of sunglasses and am ready to go. If you want to know more I would be glad to talk to you more in detail.  [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 04:33:36 PM »

Have you thought about Lasik? I know it won't solve problems with reading but for distance vision it is awesome. One of the best things I have done in my life was getting this simple procedure done and now I am 20/15 with both eyes and 20/20 in each. I played the

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 04:36:35 PM »

The name just came to me (guess you're not the only one getting old!) - Panoptx.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 04:41:52 PM »

Thanks Mrs We and MFG and everyone else.  All good info to work from.  Fortunately I'm not too shook up as I did rather well know it was coming.  And I'm pretty much a "guy" some not vain enough to worry like 'oh, no, don't want to be seen with glasses on, ick."  I could really care less about that part.  I'm just hoping they don't become some kind of a hassle.  Hopefully couple of years down the road get the Lasik as recommended by Dakota and then not have to fuss with extra stuff again for as long as it lasts.

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 05:12:27 PM »

Thanks Dakota.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 05:14:45 PM by dakota »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 05:15:34 PM »

Don, I have been thinking for a while and now that I know that you aren't a style type of guy but I do think that the gradient lenses to match your memphis shades windshield just might put this whole package together for you.

Mike, do you know if "gradient" and "progressive" are different terms for the same thing where glasses are concerned.  If so I might already be doing that.  The things I selected are a "no line" progressive lens that gradates from the standard lens in the middle to the strongest lens down lower over several steps.  Perhaps different names for the same product from different manufacturers or something.  Maybe I'll have to check on some rose tinted gradients to match the windshield though  [smiley=beerchug.gif] [smiley=7.gif]

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
  • I love to set off car alarms
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 06:03:40 PM »

ive got optic neuritis  http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/opticneuritis.html  i thought i had the first stage of  MS. basically i juz got it in one eye about two yrs ago. then i juz   recently got it in the other eye as well. my vision went to 20/60 right eye  and 20/100 left
but it has been improving gradually for me. my central vision is ok but very little light is recieved by my eyes. so i now too wear glasses  for the remaining vision i have left.
i had them for about two months now..there are some wrap around RX safety glasses available that work good if you have your lense prescription you can order them online.
in your search engine punch in RX safety glasses youll see some that look cool, like sunglasses actually  heres a link  http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp/I.X._Optical-qbsjp/r.html  
~late~ Cann

LBI-DTW

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2005, 08:38:08 PM »

Susks it does.
First its your hair. next your eyes, Let's not forget about  teeth...
Isn't  fun getting old. Hell yes it Sucks.
Do you have any aching pains? If not, that's good....
Never ask elderly people how they feel. unless you have 20 mins.
Your next scoot will be a trike.... Think about it,, its the cycle of bike life.
I have glasses from this site...
www.icicleseyewear.com..
Next time you are at major bike rally I am sure they will have a booth or oder on line.
LBI

LBI-DTW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2005, 08:49:32 PM »

I did a bunch of research before I got my eyes done and one thing I did run into was my optomologist was against it. Of course he was because he did not perform Lasik and it means one less customer for him. I went to 3 creditable clinics for a typically free exam to see if you are a candidate and I was and most people are.

That's really good to know Dakota, thanks.  I wasn't going to get contacts because, basically, I really just didn't want to mess with it.  Glasses just seemed easier.  What the doc said about time for degredation to stabilize made a certain amount of sense.  But it's a topic in which I'm a complete layman (i.e., dummy) so I wouldn't know if the facts as presented might have some "flexibility" to them or not.  The same clinic does the Lasik work so it's not like they're losing one business for the other; but that doesn't mean someone might not be trolling for first one business and then the other.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 24 queries.