Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Newbe and SERK 07  (Read 6355 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Newbe and SERK 07
« on: November 19, 2007, 04:00:04 PM »

Have a few question I hope you guys can help with. 1) Any air deflectors I can install that will keep the air at 60mph and up from tearing my glasses off? its comming around and under the windscreen. I already have the larger windscreen on the bike. 2) Have Rush slipons on the bike now but thinking about true duals. Just wondering if I can live with the hole it creates on the right side with no pipe from the rear cylinder. Any suggestions? I have the power commander 3 on for tuning, but we are having a hard time getting the stumble out of it. Thinking its time for a super tuner. 3) I also have a whistle from somewhere around the headlights and running lights ever since I added them and relocated the turn signals. any ideas? It very annoying at speed. Any other items for looks or speed would be appreciated. It blue with gold leaf. I ridden most of my life(54) and my second Harley. My Dad who just turned 73 bought his first. We are having a ball. Any ideas on a quick release  tour pack for longer trips? Thanks for the help!! :drink:

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
Re: Newbe and SERK 07
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 09:29:14 PM »

Have quick release tour pack on mine and it works great. See Corbin seat threads for pics.
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 10:14:47 AM »

I like the 2-1 because it keeps the left side saddlebag cool.  The ice in the cooler last longer!

Miker

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 10:22:56 AM »

I like the 2-1 because it keeps the left side saddlebag cool.  The ice in the cooler last longer!

Miker

What a dumba$$ I am!
Miker, your the man!
The SERG has a 2 into 1 and I put the cooler on the right side.
Refer back to my first line.
Sometimes the most obvious isn't.
I should know better!
Thanks Miker for turning on the light!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »

What a dumba$$ I am!
Miker, your the man!
The SERG has a 2 into 1 and I put the cooler on the right side.
Refer back to my first line.
Sometimes the most obvious isn't.
I should know better!
Thanks Miker for turning on the light!

Aww pal, don't be hard on yerself...It is instinctive for me to preserve ice at all times down here. 

Always park the golf cart in the shade.
Put a layer of tin foil on top of the cooler before letting it ride the bed of the truck.
Most impotant, finish yer beverages before the ice melts!    :drink:

Miker

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 10:33:27 AM »

Aww pal, don't be hard on yerself...It is instinctive for me to preserve ice at all times down here. 

Always park the golf cart in the shade.
Put a layer of tin foil on top of the cooler before letting it ride the bed of the truck.
Most impotant, finish yer beverages before the ice melts!    :drink:

Miker

I like the aluminum foil idea!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 10:41:21 AM »

It keeps the wind off.  For a full cooler specially.

Oh, hey BigLew, sorry to  :jack:

Get what you like for your bike...
I hear most people like those deflectors, I went with a pop-off fairing.
The whistles may go away with to deflector things, who know, I can't here mine cauese of the stereo!   :huepfenjump3:
I went with sert (very flexible tuner, easy to use), se a/c and RH 2-1, 115 ft/lbs and 96 hp...
Most importantly, cool left side.

Enjoy yoour scoot and time with pops!    :drink:

Opinions are like Aholes, everyones got one (you hope).

Miker

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 10:43:55 AM »

Tour pack, I just got a used KingTP with the quick detach hadware. 
I ain't put the stuff on yest and need to get the TP painted.

Looks like lots of room for cigars and some Louie Trey in there....Cain't have too much room fer chitncrap.

Miker

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »

Hey Miker I would be very interested in any info about the snap off faring you have. Got any different pics. This wind thing is much worse than riding without a screen at all. let me know where you got and all the feedback you can. I might go that route. 8)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 02:21:43 PM »

the wind problem could be a function of the windshield height.  If you are somewhere with some other riders and someone has taller or shorter wind screen swap 'em for a couple miles and see if it makes a difference.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 02:22:33 PM »

Hey Miker I would be very interested in any info about the snap off faring you have. Got any different pics. This wind thing is much worse than riding without a screen at all. let me know where you got and all the feedback you can. I might go that route. 8)

There a few companies....Mine is from Deadcenter fairings(deadcentercycles.com).  There is Hoppe, Dragonfly and Quadzilla. I think.  I like the Deadcenter because it is easily removable but lockable to the factory windshield mounts.  Some of the othere require bolting on, but I can;t remember which ones.  Check some info on the HDForums site,, very good.  There are alternatives to the factory (useless) screen..Clearview is one...Order it taller or whatever you need.

I copied this from HDforums:

After a lot of research on this forum as well as others I have selected the Quadzilla Fairing. I am planning on a substantial amount of touring this summer and I wanted to have one for those occasions. I have read where many of you put these fairings on and then never take them off. We will see if that happens to me. No matter, I wanted an easily removable Fairing so I can attachl or detach it when I want.

The attached photos show a test fitting with no windshield attached. I have a fiberglass nacelle that is approximately ¼” thicker than the metal one. So when I remove the Fairing I will have to adjust the brackets to fit better (it is really a tight fit and may be overstressed) for easy attachment and removal and then send it out for paint. The headlight detail shows how the extended nacelle protrudes more than the stock nacelle, a design feature I like.

I offer some comments for those who are considering one of these Fairings to think about. Included are some facts (and opinions) that I was not aware of as I did my research.

I have seen comments that the Fairings are different sizes and that the Quadzilla is larger. I had both the Dragonfly and the Quadzilla in my living room at the same time and placed them back to back. Visually they were identical in scale and proportion and not different to the naked eye. The Dragonfly is supposed to be the same size and shape as the stock Harley Fairing. In addition the shop where I purchased the Quadzilla had one there with the Harley Fairing Bra on it and it fit perfectly.

I have also seen comments that the aftermarket Fairings sit at a different angle. I compared this test fitting to stock Harley and the angle was visually the same. Again, no perceptible difference to the naked eye.

One of the most significant factors to me is that the Quadzilla is sealed on the bottom and is finished to the same quality as the rest of the Fairing. The Dragonfly is open and the Deadcenter has a splash shield. I have heard from others that have these Fairings that this is not a problem and have no reason to doubt them. I just think it gives the Quadzilla a higher quality appearance to it and it makes a more aesthetically pleasing interface with the handlebar clamp. It is difficult to see this on all the internet photos but in actual viewing I feel it makes a difference.

The main reason I went with the Quadzilla is that the brackets are mechanically attached whereas the Dragonfly is fiberglassed into the inner fairing. At the time I was led to belive the Deadcenter mtal brackets were fiberglassed also but it is mechanically attached so they should be adjustable as well. This means I can make the adjustments I need to have it fit properly. I could not do that with the Dragonfly. This is probably a consideration only for those that have fiberglass nacelles.

I liked the inner Fairing design of the Dragonfly better than the others which is why I ordered it. (It has now been returned). However that being said I must admit I like the sound of 200 watts of tunes from the four speakers when riding at higher speeds. It uses the full 4 channel capability that most contemporary mobile stereo units now have.

Although the Quadzilla has metal brackets (the Dragonfly brackets are ¼” thick fiberglass) similar to the Deadcenter metal brackets you have to remove the rubber windshield bushings and replace them with two piece metal bushings that come with the Fairing. It is not as quick an installation or removal as the Deadcenter Fairing.

This is probably more information than most of you want but I hope it may help some who are considering one of these Fairings and they can add my comments to the others.

They are all quality products and the choice is difficult. If I had my choice I would want a Fairing that has the features I find most desirable from all three; the inner Fairing design of the Dragonfly, the quick detach and locking system of the Deadcenter mechanicaly attached brackets, and the sealed bottom and mechanically attached brackets of the Quadzilla. In the end I went with the Quadzilla, primarily because of my attachment issues, but was pleasantly surprised as I found it had features I was not aware of. It is a good fit for my bike and me. I will post better photos when I get the bracket work done and the Fairing painted.

I don't have any pics on this computer, I'll post some to you when I get home to my other one.  

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 02:25:21 PM »

back

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 02:26:55 PM »

I also removed that vented windshiled, water squeezes through it... I have an plain tinted 9" now.
There are many different heights to get.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 02:52:03 PM »

jgeorge it's not the height. It's comming around an under the widscreen. Miker looks good How hard to get off and on? Give a ball park on the money you have in the faring and goodies. 8)

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 04:18:54 PM »

Miker,

Does that windsheld bag rub your fairing? I have a Deadcenter one coming. It's at gene's getting the Razor Red paint scheme along with the hard bags I sent him. I've been wondering what to put in that area above the radio and I like the way yours looks.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.