Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: When a Jester Loses His Head....  (Read 13257 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: When a Jester Loses His Head....
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2007, 09:04:05 AM »

Chuck, Did your insurance company ever mention anything about salvage value? This would have come up when they determined the amount of your loss. They would have given you an offer if you transferred title to them, they pay and take bike,  or a lower offer if you retained the salvage, meaning they pay and you keep bike. This usually happens when the cost of repairs exceeds a % of the fair market value of the vehicle. I would call your Department of Motor Vehicles and discuss this with them. If it was determined that your bike was in fact a total your insurance company may still be willing to pay you the total value and they take the bike. Good luck and if I can help just let me know. jj

Thanks John,

No. When they first looked at it and saw the first estimate they asked what was the value. When he realized the SE bikes are pretty pricey, they had no problem and paid the claim immediately. When we did the supplemental claim for the frame, the adjuster, a Harley rider, said he had asked his friend "Is there any Harley worth $30k?" His friend told him "yes, if it's a Screamin' Eagle bike." That's all he had to hear. He said they will have me a check for the frame in a couple of days.

Based on that they're good with repairing it.

:indian_chief:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2007, 09:04:23 AM »

I did some checking into it and as far as I can tell since the insurance company never declared it a total, the title will remain free and clear. If they had 'totaled' it and I bought it back to rebuild, then for sure the title would be marked as a salvage title.

Chief, I would say what you posted is correct in my experience.  The branding only occurs in the situation where the bike goes through a salvage pool.

Now, if they said it was a total loss and then you bought it and used the money from the insurance to repair it, well, then the insurance company could still brand the title.

A motorcycle is a bit different however as it is much easier to replace parts than an auto would be.  In your case I would still believe you could negotiate with the insurance company not to brand it.  The only reason that they might brand it on a bike that I can see is if there is some "tax" advantage to them in the way they account for losses.

What is the dollar amount they are coughing up?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 09:06:00 AM by Rjob749 »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2007, 09:05:24 AM »

That "so far as I can tell" is about a 4K to 6K dollar swing in value.

If it was me I would be finding out fast.

Unless it doesn't matter to you.

It would to me!

:nixweiss:

It's not like I can glue the neck back onto the frame at this point. So I guess it doesn't matter basedon that. The deal is done.

(Running off to the dentist. More on this later.)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2007, 09:11:10 AM »

From my expierence the frame and title will be clear if this is a insurance job. Think of it as replacing a bumper. If the bike were not fixed through insurance and deemed totaled, than you bought it back, than the title gets branded as salvage. Been there done that.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2007, 10:00:10 AM »

Did you ever surrender the title?  If you never turned it over and bought it back nothing has changed.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2007, 10:32:19 AM »

Chief, I would say what you posted is correct in my experience.  The branding only occurs in the situation where the bike goes through a salvage pool.

Now, if they said it was a total loss and then you bought it and used the money from the insurance to repair it, well, then the insurance company could still brand the title.

A motorcycle is a bit different however as it is much easier to replace parts than an auto would be.  In your case I would still believe you could negotiate with the insurance company not to brand it.  The only reason that they might brand it on a bike that I can see is if there is some "tax" advantage to them in the way they account for losses.

What is the dollar amount they are coughing up?

Roger,

There was never any question or conversation about them buying it out. The repair claim was paid, no questions asked. The bike is not being totaled, nor is there any discussion of whether it should be. The problem stemmed from me not being totally aware of who is in charge of branding the title. If it is the insurance company who makes the decision, I'm good.

This all started when a site member told of his experience and wound up with a salvage title. I have the title and no one is getting it from me. I've got the check for repairs from the insurance company too. It looks like I'm holding all the cards.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2007, 10:33:56 AM »

Did you ever surrender the title?  If you never turned it over and bought it back nothing has changed.

No. I've got it, the check and the bike.  :pepper:

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2007, 10:35:04 AM »

I did some checking into it and as far as I can tell since the insurance company never declared it a total, the title will remain free and clear. If they had 'totaled' it and I bought it back to rebuild, then for sure the title would be marked as a salvage title.

Chief,
This is exactly correct (in Oklahoma anyway).  I have been in the insurance business for 20 years and have paid a few claims like yours.
You have no worries and should have a bike as good or better than before the accident when it is finished.
LRebel ;)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »

Chief,
This is exactly correct (in Oklahoma anyway).  I have been in the insurance business for 20 years and have paid a few claims like yours.
You have no worries and should have a bike as good or better than before the accident when it is finished.
LRebel ;)
:orange: :huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2: :drink: :apple: :carrot: :drink: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21:

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2007, 11:15:17 AM »

I bet Chuck is breathing now.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2007, 11:18:42 AM »

I bet Chuck is breathing now.

Yes, a lot better now. As you could tell, I wasn't a very happy camper this morning. Glad to know good friends are only a phone call away.  ;D

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2007, 11:21:38 AM »

Chuck,
When I was stationed in Seattle, a guy in a Toyota p/u t-boned me and my Sportster at about 35mph.  After I got out of the hospital, the insurance company I had at the time, Allstate, gave me two options, I could total it, or have it rebuilt.  The only thing that was savageable on the Sportie was the engine, everything else, including frame had to be replaced.  So I had it rebuilt as a Roadster.  But that's not the point.  After all the work was done, I maintained the same title on it that I had when I picked it up from the dealership.  There was never any discussion about a salvage title and I never received one.  I actually made money when I sold it because it was no longer a "standard" sportie, but now a Roadster.  
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2007, 11:28:16 AM »

It's value is worth what it is to you, Rebuild it and keep it doesn't matter what the value is it's your bike.  Same goes for any type of title (Salvage) If it's yours Fix and keep it and the salvage tiltle won't mean anything unless you go to sell it or trade it.

You said you still have the title so nothing has changed other than rebuilding a older bike for more $$$ than it's trade or resale value which doen't matter to you because you are going to keep it and ride so the value to you is priceless.

Hope the bike turns out nice  ;D

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2007, 11:31:45 AM »

Chuck,
When I was stationed in Seattle, a guy in a Toyota p/u t-boned me and my Sportster at about 35mph.  After I got out of the hospital, the insurance company I had at the time, Allstate, gave me two options, I could total it, or have it rebuilt.  The only thing that was savageable on the Sportie was the engine, everything else, including frame had to be replaced.  So I had it rebuilt as a Roadster.  But that's not the point.  After all the work was done, I maintained the same title on it that I had when I picked it up from the dealership.  There was never any discussion about a salvage title and I never received one.  I actually made money when I sold it because it was no longer a "standard" sportie, but now a Roadster.  
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

Charlie,

These are great stories to hear. I think everything is going to work out fine. I freaked a bit this morning, but that is Ok. As soon as I get the neck to the dealer a new frame will be on order and I can start turning the pile of parts back into a morotcycle. I'll be glad when that happens as the basement is a pretty depressing place to go now with all the parts strewn from one end to the other.

I've got to get it back together soon so I don't forget all those little details I told myself I'd remember about how it was assembled.

One thing I'm definitely going to do is to take the battery box to a local Line-X dealer and have them shoot the inside bottom so the battery will stop grinding into the metal. Maybe chrome a few brackets in the meantime too, like the horn bracket. Might be time for a chrome rear master cylinder.

If I'm going to do it, might as well be now while it's all apart.

Does anyone have any other little improvements I might consider at this point of disassembly?

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2007, 11:41:24 AM »

Yes, a lot better now. As you could tell, I wasn't a very happy camper this morning. Glad to know good friends are only a phone call away.  ;D

I kept looking for a photo of a wild eyed man wipi9ng sweat from his forhead to paste on this thread. BUT..never found one.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.