Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Aftermarket Mail Order Performance Mods! Buyer Beware!!!  (Read 15212 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Aftermarket Mail Order Performance Mods! Buyer Beware!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 07:47:44 PM »

Dont have a scanner to print out the specs on my CP pistons Howie, but here are some measurements that are on the spec sheet

bore diameter 4.25
clearance 0.0015     piston size 0.4" up form bottom of skirt 4.2485"
compression height 1.39
top groove width 0.044     top groove diameter 3.891
2nd groove width 0.06      2nd groove diameter 3.875
3rd groove width 0.099      3rd groove diameter 3.92

intake relief -0.215            exhaust valve relief -.205

profile dish depth dome height 0

pin diameter 0.927
pin length 2.75
lock type .073 wire

gram weight 457

CP recommends that the piston to bore clearance for this 4.25" bore to be 0.0015"

This might be because this piston has such small side skirts almost non existing. The 110...4" piston has a longer skirt, which might call for the clearance on your piston to bore to be 0.0025

I got the same sheet for Vern for my 4" pistons from them. CR wouldn't give it to me so I got it from CP directly. It had Cycle-rama's name at the top and all the same spec catagories. The model piston I have says 0.0035" clearance, where yours says 0.0015'! What model is your pistons? Vern has the sheet for mine. I'll try to get a copy. I think the model was XA100? Not sure though. Thanks for the info. CP makes all kinds of pistons and provide specs for each set. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 07:49:10 PM »

hoist I feel your pain... I have a file with receipts from my 05 road king:  about $12k of experimenting and disappointment before I finally got 104hp/114tq...traded it in on a fxdse2:  $5k motor upgrades for 100hp/102tq...it's in the shop now for compression/leakdown tests and another dyno run...200 model instead of the 250i that gave me the other numbers...if you've got a competent wrench who will blueprint the motor as he assembles, I believe you'll have many trouble free miles...have you seen the new baker touring oil pan that adds 1 quart?...bet that will pull some heat out...if it would fit my bike i'd get one
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 07:56:05 PM »

hoist I feel your pain... I have a file with receipts from my 05 road king:  about $12k of experimenting and disappointment before I finally got 104hp/114tq...traded it in on a fxdse2:  $5k motor upgrades for 100hp/102tq...it's in the shop now for compression/leakdown tests and another dyno run...200 model instead of the 250i that gave me the other numbers...if you've got a competent wrench who will blueprint the motor as he assembles, I believe you'll have many trouble free miles...have you seen the new baker touring oil pan that adds 1 quart?...bet that will pull some heat out...if it would fit my bike i'd get one

Thanks skyhook! I'm used to dealing with my bike, but Vern's always done my work. No issues like this ever before. Like you said, it's a competence thing! This all started because the HD 110 is a POS and like an idiot I tried fixing it under w.....ty, instead of blowing them off from day one!

You're either gonna fix it yourself properly, or keep bringing it back and forth to the dealer until the MoCo redesigns a proper fix someday. I just should'a paid from the beginning! Live and learn! FTF and FTW!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »

Howie, I'm just glad you're finally so seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  It is about time it all went in your favor and things just got buttoned up.

Too many folks don't have a local option to get this kind of work done.  Dealer or nothing is often the case in smaller metropolitan areas.  For all intents and purposes it's that way here. 

I'm lucky in that I've got most everything I need in the tool box to do the job right.  And know how to use them.  What I don't have I can access at a good friends very nicely fitted out machine shop.  My own slug to jug fit happened to be just fine.  Axtell did a good job with it.  As were all the other internal tolerances.  But it's certainly easy enough to envision some single simple thing cropping up to ruin someone's whole day.

Mine visited the dyno today.  You'll not be far behind.  Glad Cybil is finally in the home stretch buddy.  It'll be good to see her back on the road again :2vrolijk_21: .

hogasm

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 08:17:44 PM »

I got the same sheet for Vern for my 4" pistons from them. CR wouldn't give it to me so I got it from CP directly. It had Cycle-rama's name at the top and all the same spec catagories. The model piston I have says 0.0035" clearance, where yours says 0.0015'! What model is your pistons? Vern has the sheet for mine. I'll try to get a copy. I think the model was XA100? Not sure though. Thanks for the info. CP makes all kinds of pistons and provide specs for each set. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie, the pistons were custom built for me by : www.cppistons.com

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 08:55:23 PM »

Howie, the pistons were custom built for me by : www.cppistons.com

Same brand Brian. Mine were custom made for Wes. Wes set them at 0.0025". The spec sheet says 0.0035". Vern's setting them for 0.0030". The box from them is in this pic. ;)

0.0015" is very tight for a forged piston. Is it a cast piston? :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 09:02:03 PM »

Same brand Brian. Mine were custom made for Wes. Wes set them at 0.0025". The spec sheet says 0.0035". Vern's setting them for 0.0030". The box from them is in this pic. ;)

0.0015" is very tight for a forged piston. Is it a cast piston? :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

If I can relate this to the racing motors of years past (those 8 cylinder things) - when we built motors with lots of stroke, and the piston pin moves up in the piston and the piston skirts got shorter - the piston would be fit tighter to the bore then stock stroke motor pistons.  A good .001 to .0015 tighter...  More stable - less "slap"... more durable.  Of course these things got rebuilt every 600 or so miles, so wear was not a big concern.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 09:11:00 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 09:04:51 PM »

And all of this is to accomplish the only thing I wanted from this bike in the first place! To be in the wind with the best performing Road King ever built!!! That's within my grasp now!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
[/quote]

This is your downfall....there is no definitive "best performing Road King ever Built"

You are aiming at a moving target and is very perishable....... even if you hit the goal you only own it for a nano second

being involved with many hobbies myself, I have concluded it is a mental disorder we adopt with obsessive compulsive side.

We set ourselves up to never achieve the goal or we are only happy for a very short time.......then we are on to something different or start all over

again. 

but there in lies the beauty of it all,  We do what we want and what makes us feel good.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 09:18:59 PM »

And all of this is to accomplish the only thing I wanted from this bike in the first place! To be in the wind with the best performing Road King ever built!!! That's within my grasp now!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

This is your downfall....there is no definitive "best performing Road King ever Built"

You are aiming at a moving target and is very perishable....... even if you hit the goal you only own it for a nano second

being involved with many hobbies myself, I have concluded it is a mental disorder we adopt with obsessive compulsive side.

We set ourselves up to never achieve the goal or we are only happy for a very short time.......then we are on to something different or start all over

again. 

but there in lies the beauty of it all,  We do what we want and what makes us feel good.

I guess I should'a said "in my eyes!"

I've always set my bikes up the way I need them to be, and then I get to ride and enjoy them. Not chasing anything. Just setting up the bike I like the best, for the way I ride. They can take my beatings when I want, and still hold up to everyday riding. My '85 WG has been the same for years! It's been awesome. I'm rebuilding that this year for many, many more years on the road! That was the best street bike HD ever built, with the 4-speed Evo frame. This SERK3 is the best RK HD ever made. Now all I have to do is get a good performing, strong, reliable power plant in there, and my SERK3 is setup exactly where I want it! It will then be 'the best performing RK ever built, in my eyes!" ;)

Hoist! 8)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »

Ahhhh-effin-men Howie...This time wil be the last time fo sho.  :drink:

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 12:43:31 AM »

Howie:
Its a shame that you have gone throught these issues with reputable performance shops / providers. Good to hear that your on the home stretch now.
Can't wait to see the outcome!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 05:39:15 AM »

Ahhhh-effin-men Howie...This time wil be the last time fo sho.  :drink:

Thanks Mike! From your lips bro! :2vrolijk_21:

Howie:
Its a shame that you have gone throught these issues with reputable performance shops / providers. Good to hear that your on the home stretch now.
Can't wait to see the outcome!

Thanks Jim. I'm not saying that their design was bad. The bike performed admirably while it was running. Great numbers with an ass dyno to match. But the poor and slow execution, the lack of caring, or the lack of pride in putting out any thing but a perfect product, is starting to wear a little thin on me! It's in capable hands now! ;)

Hoist! 8)

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 09:29:43 AM »

Wow Howie. All the talks on the phone we had it never came up about Wes. From listening to you I thought he was a reputable spped shop and builder. In your eyes what went wrong? I'm glad youre on  the right track now. We'll be on the road soon Bro. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 11:41:15 AM »

Wow Howie. All the talks on the phone we had it never came up about Wes. From listening to you I thought he was a reputable spped shop and builder. In your eyes what went wrong? I'm glad youre on  the right track now. We'll be on the road soon Bro. Later,Q

The package he designed works as advertised. I was sucked into the w.....ty thing, convinced that Alex knew what he was doing. The parts came back the first time in good sahape visually. But you can't tell by looking. Everything must be measured. This however is after we were told that everything WAS measured by them. Luckily Alex couldn't do this, and it failed early, after 800 miles. So this time it came back crappy visually, and Vern sent it back. It was at that time they realized that Vern was a real engine builder, and that they better make it look a little better. So they attempted to do what they should have done the first time. Vern measured everything again. They clearanced it to what THEY said it should be. But the spec sheet says otherwise. I din't know what gives. Had Alex measured everything the first time, it would've never been installed that way. The clearance was way off, thus the scuffing. Maybe it wasn't totally Alex's fault, since clearances were wrong from CR. But not tightening the rear head was!

You know what they say Q, fool me once, shame on you! Never again man! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »

So in the end what it all means is that you're finally that much closer to installing that itty bitty gauge fairing you showed us pictures of :mango: ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 20 queries.