Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: replacement chrome wheels peeling  (Read 7334 times)

CVOdave

• CVO1: 2004 CVO Electra Glide O/B
    • CVO2: 2017 CVO Street Glide O/B
Re: replacement chrome wheels peeling
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2005, 12:28:15 PM »

For those that have had the original Detonators replaced with the mirror chromed thunderstars, have you had any peeling or other problems? I am meeting with the field rep. tomorrow to plead my case for replacing front and back wheel with the thunderstars. Really need some good ammo! thanks

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2005, 03:59:04 PM »

For those that have had the original Detonators replaced with the mirror chromed thunderstars, have you had any peeling or other problems? I am meeting with the field rep. tomorrow to plead my case for replacing front and back wheel with the thunderstars. Really need some good ammo! thanks

Dave.....I changed out the original Detonator's for Thunderstar Mirror Chrome about six months ago.  No chrome problems.  I would also add that I've used an additional 4 sets of Thunderstars on bikes that I've built, tricked up and sold over the past few years.  No problems.  IMO a change out is the only real cure for the Detonators.  Hope it works out, but there should be no problem.  HD has to replace the peeling chrome.  The Thunderstar's are less money @ dealer cost.  They should be pleased that you will accept them.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2005, 10:08:53 PM »

Hey Don

What is the best way to add a poll here?

How many CVO bikes with the Det wheels verus how many with problems, how many with a 2nd replacement, 3rd etc.

Looks like a pattern here, could be helpful in the future with matching up names and bikes that had warranty replacement, helping out those who have less then steller factory help.

BTW, tomorrow I meet with the rep for what I feel is a defect in my tour pack paint.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 10:09:18 PM by porthole2 »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2005, 10:25:38 PM »

Porthole, anyone has the ability to add a poll.  Up at the top of the page in the blue-shaded area, you'll see the icon to "add a poll."  Give it a wirl!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2005, 11:02:21 PM »

Hey Don

What is the best way to add a poll here?

How many CVO bikes with the Det wheels verus how many with problems, how many with a 2nd replacement, 3rd etc.

Looks like a pattern here, could be helpful in the future with matching up names and bikes that had warranty replacement, helping out those who have less then steller factory help.

BTW, tomorrow I meet with the rep for what I feel is a defect in my tour pack paint.

Good luck on the paint problem Duane.  You might PM Mobe also if that doesn't go in your favor.  He's been there and done that on seemingly every conceivable issue with paint and probably knows of anyone to talk to that might be helpful.

I'm going to add to Brians advice on the poll with a screen capture here.  Adding it only because one guy told me before it didn't show up on his screen.  Turned out to be something about his Windows screen color choices that made it where he couldn't see it.  If yours is hidden from you too just follow the really ugly little arrow I added to the screen shot to find where it is.

CVOdave

• CVO1: 2004 CVO Electra Glide O/B
    • CVO2: 2017 CVO Street Glide O/B
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2005, 12:16:01 PM »

Well, after meeting with the HD rep. I was told it's detonators or nothing. The rep would not/could not allow a change to ANY other wheel. What's funny is he owns one and had to replace his and the Service guy has a CVO and has replaced his too! When I told him I have a 130 pages of proof why I don't want the detonator's he said "they don't look at web sight info. too many kid's out there just writing things in the sights". So all the comments we have on this sight tend to be dismissed as not credible to the HD powers that be. Polls? meaningless. He did mention that the wheel p/n has changed 3 times since last year which usually means changes to part or process. All together I have peeling chrome for RH mirror, LH floorboard, LH fork cover, front and rear wheel, loose end cap on LH hand grip,  turn signal lenses RH/LH front leaking and yellow film on bulb peeling off, center insert for windshield screw loose, buzzing LH speaker. The bike is a year old!  [smiley=brood.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2005, 01:06:35 PM »

Can someone who is or has worked in a Harley parts room or service department confirm their order handling methods?  If they handle their parts orders the way that a lot do (not all, but a lot) the input and output don't tie to each other and don't have to directly corrolate.  The dollars need to not be out of wack, but that's about it.  In other words:

They need a part and they order a part; for whatever reason.  They are charged for that part.

Bad parts go bye bye.

Bad parts that are warranty failure get returned (either for real or on paper) for warranty credit against what they are billed for new parts ordered.  

But the original new part order and the later warranty credit don't direclty tie to each other.

If that's the case why is this request so damned difficult?  I completely understand a general policy against uneven swaps.  That would only foment a mass of guys that "want something different" everytime something fails.  That would be a total and unmanageable pain in the butt.

But in the case of repeated failures and a known systemic problem (and when the part you want costs them less anyway) why in the hell would BLM's experience of getting the swap not be the smart and correct one?

Oh, wait, I remember the answer now; we're working with Harley Davidson.  In customer service there is, after all; the right way, the wrong way, and the Harley Way......
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 01:09:54 PM by twolanerider »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2005, 01:17:31 PM »

Well, after meeting with the HD rep. I was told it's detonators or nothing. The rep would not/could not allow a change to ANY other wheel.

This is somewhat similar to the situation many of us had with the Tour Pak light, where some were blown off, others only got the defective part replaced with another defective part, and some others got the correct fix which was the new LED light.  It appears that there is a real lack of communication between HD managers, field staff, customer service folks, and dealers.  One rep OK's the replacement of the Detonators with the Thunderstar, the next rep says he can't do that.  The trick is to find the person who actually sets those policies and talk to that person.  Now if we only knew who that was. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2005, 02:25:44 PM »

The trick is to find the person who actually sets those policies and talk to that person.  Now if we only knew who that was. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

That is the real problem with trying to resolve anything with HD consumer affairs/customer service GRC.  They won't tell you how to make contact with any particular person (phone or email), they won't even let you initate anything more than the first general contact.  They really do hide from us (for lack of a better way of describing it) unless they see fit to honor us with their embassy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 02:46:20 PM by twolanerider »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2005, 02:36:27 PM »

When I told him I have a 130 pages of proof why I don't want the detonator's he said "they don't look at web sight info. too many kid's out there just writing things in the sights".

LOL!  How many "kids" that you know of ride $30,000+ bikes?

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2005, 08:33:49 PM »

Asked the area rep if my replacement wheels had a 2 year warenty. Told me it wasen't a concern 'cause none of the replecement wheels were peeling. Shure !!! My 2 years are up the end of Nov. If I'd known I would have gone with the thunderstars, rep said that wouldn't have been a problem.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2005, 08:57:51 PM »

I think it's the luck of the draw on the replacements.  I have a replacement front wheel (while wiping the bike off the first night I owned it, a 1-inch long piece peeled off  [smiley=brood.gif]) but it's still in perfect shape and the rear wheel never has had a problem.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2005, 09:34:09 PM »

I just wonder if the chrome is like the painted parts.....only covered under the initial 2 year factory warrenty.  If so, that's got me worried, since I'm coming up on my two years expiring and I just had a inch strip of chrome peel off a floorboard that had showed no problems until now.  Does anyone know the answer to this potential nightmare?     [smiley=nervous.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2005, 09:47:59 PM »

I just wonder if the chrome is like the painted parts.....only covered under the initial 2 year factory warrenty.  If so, that's got me worried, since I'm coming up on my two years expiring and I just had a inch strip of chrome peel off a floorboard that had showed no problems until now.  Does anyone know the answer to this potential nightmare?     [smiley=nervous.gif] spyder

Spy,

Prior to riding to the event at my HD Dealer, I wiped the bike down...Floorboard chrome peeled for the second time...they replaced it immediately...however like you, I am coming up on the 2 year period...Most people will ignore the potential issue given the experience they have with it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2005, 09:49:38 PM »

Unfortunately from what I've read, and what I've been told chrome is only covered under the two-year warranty.  [smiley=mean.gif] I'm watching mines with a microscope until July '06, so far, so good, but I'm not holding my breath. The MoCo doesn't know how "anal" I am about my scooter. I detail it every time I wash it. Which means I put it on lift, take bags off, crawl up under it, take side covers off, etc, etc. I will be keeping a close watch on everything. One good thing about this forum you learn all about the things to watch, that may go wrong with your bike so you can keep an eye out. Good luck!!

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
[smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 20 queries.