Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: I need a seat!  (Read 5747 times)

scobar44

• CVO1: 1999 FXR2, Arresting Red
I need a seat!
« on: August 22, 2008, 11:14:41 AM »

I've just picked up my FXR2 and can't tolerate the seat.  I've read and been told the FXR3 and 4 Harley seat is much better.  Any idea where I can find one (other than the dealer!)?

My hot rod FXR2 had only 2100 mi. when I picked it up.  I've already had a flat fron tire, probably due to a 10 year old tube.  I just dropped it off last night at my local Harley expert (not a dealer) for 2 new Avon Venom X tires, Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 upgrade, lay down license plate, fork bag, and whatever else he thinks it needs.  With only 2100 miles, I'm not even sure if it had the required adjustments that every new bike needs (primary chain tension, dirve belt tension, etc.).

I a few days, I'll be ready for cruise.  But I need a good seat.  Any help would be appreciated!
Scott

RedFXR2

Re: I need a seat!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »

I've just picked up my FXR2 and can't tolerate the seat.  I've read and been told the FXR3 and 4 Harley seat is much better.  Any idea where I can find one (other than the dealer!)?

You've discovered wht Tim and myself already did--Badlander seats may look good but they feel bad.

It's been a few years but at one time, FXR3 and 4 seats were still out there on some dealers' shelves gathering dust.  I believe the 3 and 4 seats are discontinued but I could be wrong.  I bought my FXR3 seat through ebay but I surf ebay farily regularly and haven't seen one since.  YOu can watch there or, as in the case of FXR4 Mikey, (he's traveling right now) check Corbin.  I think that's where he got his and it looks good and apparently is quite comfortable as well.  Wherever you look, remember that our seats use the front tongue and rear thumbscrew tab and not the flip-up bracket that a lot of production FXR's used.

Here's Mikey's Corbin seat:

And in case you want to search for factory FXR3 and 4 seats, here are the part numbers and prices (as of 2004): 

Seat for 1999 FXR3:  HD number 52449-99,  HD retail $285.00
Seat for 2000 FXR4:  HD number 52450-99,  HD retail $269.95
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:57:32 PM by RedFXR2 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 02:55:13 AM »

Mike.....

Just so you know, [or maybe you do know this....] if you ever want to do a quick search on a part number, I simply go to google and type in Chicago Harley....it pulls up Harley Davidson in Chicago....and when you are sent to their main page to the left it will ask for a part number all you have to do is type in the part number and it will tell you if they are able to get the particular part "number" that you typed in.  Now Chicago HD is a 20% HD dealer as well, while I have never ordered from there, by typing in a part number I can at least initially know if a part has been discontinued or whether you can still get it....as it turns out, since we both like the FXR3 seat the best, I merely took the number you placed above for the FXR3 HD# and went to Chicago Harley and pasted it in, it says they have them available and the price is $228.00 after the 20% has been removed.....so that means....lol I would then simply go to Jenni and order something if I need it....it works as a great reference tool......

So Scobarr.....if you are interested in a FXR3 seat it appears they are still available.....I am not sure how successful you would be waiting for such a seat to show itself on EBAY but you can get it for around $240.00 shipped to your door most likely if you go with a 20% off discount HD dealer of your choice.....and if you don't know a 20% Discount HD Dealer then there is a person that many of us use, her name is Jenni is she is the part's manager for Tri-County HD somewhere in OHIO 513-874-4343 personally I have been ordering parts from her since October of 2002.  She is a no-nonsense type of personality so if you call to order parts from her....make sure you have the part number you are asking for.....and be prepared....she is a "serious" order taker and gets many folks calling her from all over the country for parts....if you know who she is and have ordered from her before....sorry for this portion of the post....and I wouldn't work with anyone else besides her....

Mike is right.....I feel the FXR3 seat is so comfortable once it went on it's never come off my bike....it has to be one of their "most" comfortable "seats" that HD has made....whomever they had design it did it right....

So that's the one I like.....but (no pun intended....well maybe there was lol) everyone's body is different and everyone likes are different.....however I would agree the badlander seat is just a bar hopper type of seat for short rides and to make the bike look cool.....

Regards,

Tim

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:59:24 AM »

Mike.....

Just so you know, [or maybe you do know this....] if you ever want to do a quick search on a part number, I simply go to google and type in Chicago Harley......and when you are sent to their main page to the left it will ask for a part number all you have to do is type in the part number and it will tell you if they are able to get the particular part "number" that you typed in. ...by typing in a part number I can at least initially know if a part has been discontinued or whether you can still get it....I merely took the number you placed above for the FXR3 HD# and went to Chicago Harley and pasted it in, it says they have them available and the price is $228.00 after the 20% has been removed.....

I do this same drill using Surdyke HD in Missouri, but I've found that they will sometimes list a part as available, I order it, and then a few days later they inform me that the part has been discontinued and cancel my order.  So their system doesn't always tell the user up front that a part is no longer available.  Surdyke won't go after a discontinued part from another dealer to re-sell to their customer.  Maybe Chicago HD is a different, more up to date database, who knows?

I just ran the number at Surdyke and it "acts" like the part is in stock, but I wouldn't bet on it.  Like I said, back in 2003 I had to get a HD dealer in NC to do a dealer lookup and they found a few of these seats for FXR3's and 4's on the shelves at dealers here and there but there weren't many.  While I pondered going that route, I stumbled across one on ebay and that one became mine.  I'd go to my local dealer and have them do a search.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:05:32 AM by RedFXR2 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 11:22:47 AM »

Mike....

What you said above can be very frustrating as well.....seems like we are going to have to be our own parts clearing house....

While this may not be of interest to Scobarr or may be in his time frame of course, since the FXR3 seat is so comfortable I wonder if one were to find the seat no matter the condition or if one's seat became badly worn, if one couldn't take or send it to Corbin and ask them to recreate the seat, I realize it might be expensive, I am wondering if it couldn't be done with something that could be badly worn......It seems like this is where the ship is taking us eventually.....

Tim

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »

I doubt if Corbin would be interested in re-creating a HD seat, but I'm quite confident that, unless the seat was somehow beyond hope of repair, that one could have new foam cut and new covering material made and sewn to the FXR3 seat base or pan.  This would be done at a upholstery shop, preferably a automotive/motorcycle one.  But barring some disaster like a large cut or tear in the covering maybe, I would think that our seats will last a long time.

Just for grins, I might take the FXR3 and 4 seat part number to my local dealer and have them do a lookup to see if any are still out there.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 11:37:55 AM »

If Corbin doesn't make a seat for a bike, forget the idea of them using your seat to create a Corbin. They won't do that. If you bring them your bike, so they can make a seat pan on your bike, they'll make you a seat. But they won't take your seat to create one from it. Believe me, I've exhausted that measure trying to get a seat made for a 1 year only model '85 FXWG. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »

Howie....

Thanks...for that input.....do you think they would "recover" and thus essentially "repair" one's seat or does that fall under the same catagory as what you just said.....?

Regards,

Tim

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 11:42:26 AM »

Might have to forego the cool bar & shield embroidered into the passenger pillion if you went the route of recovering one. :nixweiss: :nervous:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 11:43:34 AM »

Howie....

Thanks...for that input.....do you think they would "recover" and thus essentially "repair" one's seat or does that fall under the same catagory as what you just said.....?

Regards,

Tim

They will recover an HD backrest to match their seat, but they want nothing to do with working with a seat that's not from their seatpan. They are very adamant about that. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:04:03 PM »

Scobarr....

I read some where you were taking your bike to your local mechanic to have some things done....and now I can't find which thread you posted into about this..so I thought I would just throw it in here....Appologize as I am going a bit off topic but in the "spirit" of getting perhaps some "helpful" information...I will throw it in here.....I can always delete this particular post if you prefer it not to be in this particular thread.....

One thing I might give some consideration to changing if I were you simply do to the age of the bike....might be changing the fork oil in your front forks....since it may have never been changed.....

Here is what I did......others here will have opinions as well....ALL of which will be good.....

Remove old fork oil....put in 10.00oz to 11 oz of Bel~Ray 20w Fork Oil.  Personally I did mine this spring and put in 10 oz into each fork.  Of course this maintenance can be done easily by yourself and because you have "chrome" fork caps which are seen you might think about a special fork cap nut remover that has an o~ring on the inside to keep from scratching the fork caps...here is one you can get for around $24.00 shipped to you:

$21.50
  Part # 08-0139  HD FORK CAP SOCKET

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/fork_cap_nut_socket_for_h-d/

Motion Pro, Inc.
867 American Street
San Carlos, CA 94070
Tel: 650.594.9600   Fax: 650.594.9610
web: www.motionpro.com

Hours of Operation:
M-F 8am - 5pm PST

Jim's Tools makes one of these as well part# 2244

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:08:11 PM by FXR2evo99 »

scobar44

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 03:09:11 PM »

Thanks, Tim

My tech guy is (let me say this tactfully) very enthusiastic regarding everything Harley.  He is especially fond of FXR's.  He currently owns both colors of the FXR3 and was excited to see me roll in on my '2.  I'm sure if he thinks anything needs attention, he'll do it without my permission.

By the way, he commented to me recently that he would sell his blue FXR3.  When I pick my machine up next, I'll see how serious he is, get some pictures, and post them here.

Thanks
Scott

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 05:05:10 PM »

Scobarr~~~

That would be great and you might as well let the boys over at the FXR3 BLUE REGISISTRY know about this one....so they can ADD it to their list.....you probably have access to get them all the info they need....

Regards,

Tim

scobar44

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »

Tim;

I'm picking my FXR2 up from my tech expert this afternoon and he indeed is very interested in selling his blue FXR3 (he has a lead on bargain yellow '4 he'd like to get his hands on!).

Since I'm new to FXR's and this site, give me some specifics about the FXR3 Blue Registry that you mentioned last.

thanks
Scott

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 01:29:12 PM »

Scobarr

Here is the reference to the "registry" mentioned above, it's simply the thread started by Brian [103tHunDer] which is here in the Forum....but here is your quick reference to it to make it a bit easier, I know at first this forum can feel a bit like a maze.....lol so here you go:

Simply, Click, view, and & read:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25938.0;all

Scobarr, also Hoist mentioned having a person interested in a Blue Flame FXR3 so you might send him a quick note about what you have either through PM or via a note at this thread, simply click, view, and post here if you like:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=26759.msg433728#msg433728

I believe if I am recalling correctly that your phyiscal proximity "may be" close to George's [gflvette2]?  The only reason I am even assuming this is because of you both attempting to negotiate on the same Arresting Red FXR2 but perhaps you aren't even physically close to one another....so my point is if you are indeed close to George then you would also be close to Hoist which would perhaps mean something to him to help his "buddy" who is interested in the Blue Flame FXR3 since you mentioned your "indy mechanic" is interested in selling his Blue Flame FXR3 ....once again this assumes that Hoist's "friend" is close to him.....well you get my point....lol....anyway like I said you can either leave a message for Hoist at the above thread or perhaps PM (Private Message) him if you feel more comfortable.....

Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:31:31 PM by FXR2evo99 »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 20 queries.