Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: The strangest thing you have hit!  (Read 21012 times)

1Trickydick

• Junior CVO Member
Re: The strangest thing you have hit!
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »

Back in '02 I was going North on I-45 in Houston in stop and go traffic.  Finally got past downtown and was about three car lengths behind a box truck going about 45 MPH.  Of course I could not see in front of him, but he started swaying back and forth in his lane, then settled in the middle of it.  I figured there was something in the road, and the safest place for me seemed to be directly behind him....  Well, that is generally a good idea.  It ends up that there was a 5x5 packing crate that had been dumped and cracked in half, making about a perfect ramp in the middle of the lane.  By the time I saw it come out from under the box truck, it was too late to avoid it.  I have no idea how high in the air I was on my 1000LB motorcycle, but it was high enough to bottom the suspension out and make parts of my pipes and frame drag when I touched back down.  Needless to say I had to pull over and recover a bit.  I have had the front tire off of the ground plenty of times, but having both off of the ground was..... unsettling.... ;)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2008, 01:27:50 PM »

Back in '02 I was going North on I-45 in Houston in stop and go traffic.  Finally got past downtown and was about three car lengths behind a box truck going about 45 MPH.  Of course I could not see in front of him, but he started swaying back and forth in his lane, then settled in the middle of it.  I figured there was something in the road, and the safest place for me seemed to be directly behind him....  Well, that is generally a good idea.  It ends up that there was a 5x5 packing crate that had been dumped and cracked in half, making about a perfect ramp in the middle of the lane.  By the time I saw it come out from under the box truck, it was too late to avoid it.  I have no idea how high in the air I was on my 1000LB motorcycle, but it was high enough to bottom the suspension out and make parts of my pipes and frame drag when I touched back down.  Needless to say I had to pull over and recover a bit.  I have had the front tire off of the ground plenty of times, but having both off of the ground was..... unsettling.... ;)
....and how high in the air were you above the motorcycle?  When I ran over something and the bike shot straight up in the air, I ended up off the seat holding the bars like one of those monkeys on a stick toys of yesteryear........my buddy riding beside me couldn't believe how high the bike & I were in the air beside him (at night)   scary.  :coolblue:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

1Trickydick

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »

I suppose I should have mentioned that I squeezed so hard with my knees that I broke the billet aluminum mount for my hypercharger?  I did not notice it until more than a year later when I took it off to change out for a Thunder Tornado....
I have NO idea how I managed to do that refexively after so many hears being off of a dirt bike.  I wish I had a picture of that, but I am not sure I would like the expression on my face :)

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2008, 01:41:51 PM »

Back in 98' I was on my 95' Wide Glide and hit a piece of guard rail at 70mph. It got stuck underneath the bike shooting sparks all over the place. The girl on the back had never ridden before and she was freaking out. I got over 3 lanes of traffic and got it stopped. I kicked the guardrail out from under the bike and said "let's go". She wouldn't get on with me and hopped on with one of my buddies and his wife hopped on with me. Little did she know, my buddy liked to ride fast. We got to the bar and she called a cab. We still laugh about it to this day.

Opee

P.S. My buddy, Bobby (RIP), went the next day and got the piece of metal and put it on my front porch. He wrote the date and N.R.M.F. (Non Riding Mother F'er).
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2008, 01:44:58 PM »

No worries - made me laugh anyway - which is always a  :2vrolijk_21: thing.

Stay safe.

Nige

Nige, chin is the Spanish word for shin!  :P

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2008, 01:50:47 PM »

Yeah, but why was she driving naked?

:o

Why not!

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2008, 07:03:34 AM »

I recently had someone telling me the story of when he hit a chimpanzee on his bike.  He thought the chimp was dead when he finally got up off the ground, but must have just knocked him unconscious.  The chimp got up and ran away.  It turned out that it was his friend's pet chimp that he was going to visit.  The chimp was back in the house when he got to the house and I'm doubting that chimp makes any more escape attempts.  As far as personally, I've only hit a chipmunk, or rather flattened one out on the road.  I did have a huge bear come walking by me when I was stopped on the roadside once.  He walked about 10 feet in front of me, crossing the road, and continued down over the hillside and apparently didnt' even notice me.  I, however, just about stuck to my seat.  That was back in 1992 and I still look around constantly whenever stopped on the roadside in any wilderness areas.

oldfool

« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2008, 04:43:52 PM »

Red tail hawk was makeing a dive for something and he hit my shoulder when I was going 60.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »

Red tail hawk was makeing a dive for something and he hit my shoulder when I was going 60.
Bet that left a 'mark'.  :oops:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2008, 03:07:47 PM »

The strangest thing I've ever hit.........

A Texas Ranger!

In 2003 I was running about 40mph on a four lane road near I-20 here in Augusta.  As I approached a gas station there was a Crown Vic waiting to pull out.  The driver was looking at the traffic coming at him from the opposite direction that I was travelling.  He never looked at me.  I was about fifty feet from him when he darted out in front of me.  Never got to the brake pedal.  I hit him in the drivers door.  Instead of going over the car I went into the fairing and his door glass.  Luckily no serious injuries.  Just some cuts on one hand and VERY SORE!  Nothing broke, at least that's what I thought.

Turns out this guy was transporting a prisoner back to Texas.  The Ranger was an *ss!  Never came over to check on me and tells the county deputy that I had to have been running at least 80!  Speed limit was 45.  I'm running 80, no skid marks, I pile up into the side of his car, still alive and I did that running 80?  I don't think so!

While the deputy was getting my statement I asked him what the Ranger would be charged with.  He told me nothing since no one had to be transported to the hospital!  I couldn't believe it!  That's when I told him that I changed my mind and I though I needed to go to the emergency room.  Turns out I did have a broken bone in my left hand.  Besides being black and blue from my chest down to my knees everything else was OK.

Anyway, a Texas Ranger has to be the strangest thing I've ever hit!

:cowboy:     

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2008, 09:28:42 AM »

Sounds like you should have hit with your fist too!  :soapbox:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2008, 04:45:09 PM »

Last Wednesday at work I was test driving a 24 ft Hino box trk and a flock of turkey vultures were in the middle of the road eating some fine roadkill. Well I slowed up and was layin on the horn and all but one cleared...... took the windheild out @ approx 20mph."Big Bird". To top it off it landed on the cab roof between the cab & box,. Went back to the shop and the the turkey was just laying up there gathering his thoughts. Went inside the shop and got on of the guys and when he came up and looked at it ...... he flew..... right into a light pole but gathered it up and wobble flew away.
Then Today I'm washing my truck in the driveway and a big muskcovie duck flew right into the garage gable and smacked down almost on top of me. When he hit the driveway he Chit all over and about gaged on the smell.
Wondering if I should get on a airplane Thurs. or not.  :nervous:   ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2008, 05:12:34 PM »

You want I should stop over to the witch doctor tomorrow Dave?  Where you goin?

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2008, 05:26:20 PM »

You want I should stop over to the witch doctor tomorrow Dave?  Where you goin?

Michigan to "cool down"  ;)
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2008, 05:27:56 PM »

And that'll you do, have a safe and fun trip... :)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 26 queries.