Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Re-Visited, because you asked! FullSac Insulated (Quiet) Baffle  (Read 14925 times)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Re: FullSac Insulated (Quiet) Baffle
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 09:47:49 AM »

sixgun
Nice work. 
I was thinking of doing something similar. 
Any chance you can do a video of the end result.  Would love to hear the beast.

guppytrash

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »

I was looking at this site and fulsacs.  http://www.danddexhaust.com/news/2006/08/test_site.htm

I would like something that has the performance growl but is not ear ringing after an all day ride. 

Something like the newer mustangs and vettes.  They are not real loud but sound mean.

I want the harley version of this.  Even with the cat out the stock mufflers have no performance note at all.  The volume is ok, but the tone is weak.

guppytrash

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 11:38:39 AM »

I just went on 5 mile test ride, I'm really pleased.  I think I may call Steve @ Fullsac and try a set of 2 inch.  I was reluctant to go with the 2 inch at first because of the noise due to exhaust volume.

However, this made them so quiet at idle and cruise that I think the deeper sound of the two inch may be more to my liking...I don't know!

Now don't get me wrong, these baffles are still loud when you get into the throttle...but very pleasing at normal cruise.

I like the results, just want to try the larger baffles now.

The only way that you're going to get it quieter when your in the throttle is to limit the exhaust travel from the the input to the output just like stock.  I'm sure Steve at Fullsac could come up with something better than stock.  However, it will never perform better than straight through.

I'm not a racer or tuner, but if back pressure that all these people are woofing is so important why does NASCAR, NHRA, IRL...etc run open headers & straight pipes? If you say it increases torque, then a NHRA dragster should have some big a#% mufflers right, because they want all the torque they can get off the line.

There was a comment in a string that insulation will restrict flow...I disagree, it's a straight shot from front to back...period. All the insulation does is dampen the pressure from the explosion.  Basically the same principle as a silencer on a pistol, That's my two cents and I'm not an engineer.
Unapologetically American!

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 02:02:17 PM »

sixgun

great work

We need a video for some sound.  I think you may have hit a homerun for a lot of us here.
Performance sound without ear ringing volume.

gupptrash

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 09:44:20 PM »

I just went on 5 mile test ride, I'm really pleased.  I think I may call Steve @ Fullsac and try a set of 2 inch.  I was reluctant to go with the 2 inch at first because of the noise due to exhaust volume.

However, this made them so quiet at idle and cruise that I think the deeper sound of the two inch may be more to my liking...I don't know!

Now don't get me wrong, these baffles are still loud when you get into the throttle...but very pleasing at normal cruise.

I like the results, just want to try the larger baffles now.

The only way that you're going to get it quieter when your in the throttle is to limit the exhaust travel from the the input to the output just like stock.  I'm sure Steve at Fullsac could come up with something better than stock.  However, it will never perform better than straight through.

I'm not a racer or tuner, but if back pressure that all these people are woofing is so important why does NASCAR, NHRA, IRL...etc run open headers & straight pipes? If you say it increases torque, then a NHRA dragster should have some big a#% mufflers right, because they want all the torque they can get off the line.

There was a comment in a string that insulation will restrict flow...I disagree, it's a straight shot from front to back...period. All the insulation does is dampen the pressure from the explosion.  Basically the same principle as a silencer on a pistol, That's my two cents and I'm not an engineer.

I took a 100 mile ride today with the group with the new 1 3/4 cores and stock insulation on my bike, like you said, maybe the 2" cores will still work just as well and just as quiet! I"m thinking maybe the 2" cores will provide a couple more HP on my bike. I may take a little trip to AZ to do some testing on the dyno.
Consenses from most of the guys with the 103 or 110CVO's is that now THEY want the conversion!
Sound levels are very acceptable in town and cruising down the freeway at 70-80. Only when you gas it does it get loud, but not as loud as the Hookers
one of the guys is running.
Over all, I'd say very acceptable up to 117" baggers with not more than 10:1 compression. We don't have many full-race motors in our club, mostly just reliable cruisers. Most of us are on baggers and do the long hauls and the quiet running is very desirable for our club.
At this point, I see no need to go to the extra steps with more insulation in the pipe. Time will tell how long the OEM packing will last, but, I'll put some more miles on the bike. Sounds like this is a good combo for most of the "medium" builds we see here.
HOGMIKE

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 12:22:43 AM »

Guys, the beauty of all this is, you can buy the Fullsac baffles for a song and have the performance you want and not go nuts on money.

This ain't rocket science...It's perferated phuqin baffle...they're all the same! D&D, V&H, Reinhardt etc....

Every damn exhaust system is basically the same.  You can pay $700.00 dollars for a system or $107.00 for baffles and call it done.

If you buy true dual headers it is about $300 plus the Fullsacs and you save big bucks, and retain the stock look.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 08:26:56 AM »

Hey SG, great idea with the insulation. I'm putting in the 2" fullsac bfls this week on my 09 SERG. Drilling the Cats will have to wait till I can schedule a SERT install.
Have you changed brand and type of spark plug.
I too "hang my hat in Tennessee"
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 09:59:38 AM »

LarryB, no plug change yet. Taking my bike to TNT performance in Nashville for a dyno tune. I'm up here in Clarksville.

Last thing I forgot to mention, don't get rid of your stock baffles because you can switch back if and when you sell your bike and the buyer want's stock pipes.  All you need to do is drill a small hole in the stock baffle.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 05:58:21 PM »

SixGun,

I'm getting a set of stock mufflers ready for the Fullsac baffles and would like to replace the insulation.  Do you think the Ceramic insulation you used has the sound absorbtion properties of regular muffler packing/wrap?  How much of the 1 inch Ceramic did you use for the two mufflers?

I found this motorcycle muffler packing on ebay and was thinking of getting it.  Maybe the stuff you have is better??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&viewitem=&item=130262740672&_trksid=p3907.m32

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »

SixGun,

I'm getting a set of stock mufflers ready for the Fullsac baffles and would like to replace the insulation.  Do you think the Ceramic insulation you used has the sound absorbtion properties of regular muffler packing/wrap?  How much of the 1 inch Ceramic did you use for the two mufflers?

I found this motorcycle muffler packing on ebay and was thinking of getting it.  Maybe the stuff you have is better??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&viewitem=&item=130262740672&_trksid=p3907.m32

This is a good price The others I have seen are more heat resistant ...Up to 2600 degrees

skunk237

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 09:02:29 PM »

Hey Guys,,,,

This is something I am running right now and does work for baffle packing.. go to you local hardware store or Home Depot and buy a length of gasket material for a wood stove door. this is a fiberglass material that is woven into a rope like product and normally sells for about 50 cents per foot...Wrap the fiberglass rope around the baffle using some baling wire to secure it at each end... Reinstall and you are DONE!!! The rope comes in various thicknesses and this is really easy and fast..
I have had it in V&H Classics and SE Performance 4" mufflers and it works and lasts..

Good Luck
skunk237

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 05:57:38 AM »

besides quieting down, what are the benefits of insulating the mufflers?
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 01:54:18 PM »

The rope technique would be great as well I'm sure.

The insulation other then sound does not do anything else...However, with the heat resistance of the Ceramic blanket, I will check and see how hot the mufflers get on the outside the next time I ride.

And before anyone does it, remember I said the baffles are still "Loud" when your in the throttle.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 02:50:45 PM »

I think most of us who have installed the full sacs have kept in the stock insulation.  My 2"ers are very quiet at idle and cruise.  I have not done a sound DB test but look here for data:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28086.0

and here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27814.0

If you really want to insulate, why not use automotive header tape?  Any performance shop has it and it's cheap.  It will insulate heat and sound and is made for the application....

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 07:47:43 PM »

Great post.  Nice pics.  I left my OEM insulation in as well and it does tone down the noise.  It is nice being able to hear after a ride, but when you get on it the bike is loud.  People hear me coming. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.