Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Bad HD Cases? What's Next?  (Read 7733 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Bad HD Cases? What's Next?
« on: October 28, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »

I just got off the phone with Alan at Feuling. They're carefully examining the failed engine parts, and might want to see my cases. Some unusual wear, but not apparent as to the root cause yet. They have seen a lack of QC on the HD engine cases, which are our only choice on newer HD's. Seems like QC is completely a thing of the past at HD. The holes for the cam bearings seem to be located with their own "tolerances" set for them too now. 2 thou off will cause cam and lifter loading and wear them prematurely. Not a big problem for stock chain drive engines I guess. But give it some HP and gears, and you could have issues. There's lotsa metal in the scavenger pump. They were actually surprised this bike kept running. They'll be working with Vern to determine if my cases are bad. If they are, I'll be demanding new cases from HD, at the very least. You know how happy I am with MoCo right now. Imagine how I'll feel if when I find out they can't properly locate cam bearing holes in their cases! But I'll save that for another time right now. You just all need to now that their engineering is absolutely "just barely good enough". Between the so-so engineering combined with manufacturing tolerances, has to be why there are so many problems with this POS 110. Maybe good enough for 70 HP, which is what they sold ya, but not for the real world!!!  Stay tuned, this could get interesting!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:22:26 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Bad HD Cases? What's Next?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »

Never seems to stop does it Howie?  Can start putting 2 and 2 together, however, to begin seeing root causes for the oil pressure drop you were seeing before.  It was actually the first indicator of what was beginning to happen inside the engine.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »

Howie, it's called LEAN...

They trim excess until it just meets their goals.  no kidding or smileys.

The days of assuming that there is excess capability out of anything for any of these companies that employ this process are forever gone.

Look up : http://www.danaher.com/about/businesssystem.htm

/Bill

I just got off the phone with Alan at Feuling. They're carefully examining the failed engine parts, and might want to see my cases. Some unusual wear, but not apparent as to the root cause yet. They have seen a lack of QC on the HD engine cases, which are our only choice on newer HD's. Seems like QC is completely a thing of the past at HD. The holes for the cam bearings seem to be located with their own "tolerances" set for them too now. 2 thou off will cause cam and lifter loading and wear them prematurely. Not a big problem for stock chain drive engines I guess. But give it some HP and gears, and you could have issues. There's lotsa metal in the scavenger pump. They were actually surprised this bike kept running. They'll be working with Vern to determine if my cases are bad. If they are, I'll be demanding new cases from HD, at the very least. You know how happy I am with MoCo right now. Imagine how I'll feel if when I find out they can't properly locate cam bearing holes in their cases! But I'll save that for another time right now. You just all need to now that their engineering is absolutely "just barely good enough". Between the so-so engineering combined with manufacturing tolerances, has to be why there are so many problems with this POS 110. Maybe good enough for 70 HP, which is what they sold ya, but not for the real world!!!  Stay tuned, this could get interesting!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 03:41:45 PM »

Must of missed a thread somewhere, Howie.  When and how did you melt down?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 03:44:10 PM »

Very familiar with lean manufacturing processes Bill. But tolerances still need to be up to task for the job. Lean manufacturing doen't mean sacrificing quality to get less cost out of the product though. HD can't have it both ways. You can't promote a bike as a Screamin Eagle Performance Custom bike, and give ya a just barley up to task standard bike instead. They need to make up their minds on what they're selling here. Cause what they're selling is now standard POS bikes with every bolt on chrome do-dad they have. Nothing more than that. Maybe I was too naive and believed it was more than that. But I can't be the only one who thought we were buying a higher performance bike in the SE CVO, not a standard HD in CVO trim! My FXR3 was never promoted as a SE peformance bike. They need to tell the truth about these P'sOS!!!!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »

Must of missed a thread somewhere, Howie.  When and how did you melt down?

Brian, we had this bike running great for 13K miles, but then started hearing valvetrain noise. It got me home, but an immediate trip to the shop revealed bad lifter and cam failure. We're now trying to determine the root cause to insure we can build a performance motor that's reliable as intended. There appear now to be more obstacles in doing this as was first thought, if the case issue is what Feuling thinks it is! ;)

Hoist! 8)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 03:52:53 PM »

But step back Howie...if a company is producing a baloon, and the baloon says do not inflate past x PSI and you inflate to x+10,.  When it bursts, is it the company's problem?  Now, I do NOT defend LEAN, and I think there should be excess capacity for safety...but if they design a drivetrain for 100 lb-ft of torque and no more, then if we go over that who is to blame for a problem.

In the past, let's say there was 100% excess in the design and you could safely go from 60 to 120 lb-ft of torque.  Now, if we reduce that excess to 10% and start with 100 lb-ft. of torque, then you could only go safely to 110 lb-ft.

These are use for illustration of my belief and not intended to represent your issue but your issue may in fact reinforce my position.

I don't agree with the philosophy but the bottom line is, I believe that they are doing just ennough to pass and get a "C" instead of going for the "A" because that is what the whole LEAN principle allows.

/Bill

Very familiar with lean manufacturing processes Bill. But tolerances still need to be up to task for the job. Lean manufacturing doen't mean sacrificing quality to get less cost out of the product though. HD can't have it both ways. You can't promote a bike as a Screamin Eagle Performance Custom bike, and give ya a just barley up to task standard bike instead. They need to make up their minds on what they're selling here. Cause what they're selling is now standard POS bikes with every bolt on chrome do-dad they have. Nothing more than that. Maybe I was too naive and believed it was more than that. But I can't be the only one who thought we were buying a higher performance bike in the SE CVO, not a standard HD in CVO trim! My FXR3 was never promoted as a SE peformance bike. They need to tell the truth about these P'sOS!!!!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 03:56:13 PM »

Brian, we had this bike running great for 13K miles, but then started hearing valvetrain noise. It got me home, but an immediate trip to the shop revealed bad lifter and cam failure. We're now trying to determine the root cause to insure we can build a performance motor that's reliable as intended. There appear now to be more obstacles in doing this as was first thought, if the case issue is what Feuling thinks it is! ;)

Hoist! 8)

What they think it is will likely be what it is.  They've been my "go to" guys on off the wall problems for years.  Good luck.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 03:58:59 PM »

As you might guess, I have to deal with another company embracing the Danaher process and the results speak for themselves with all the failures and issues we have seen.  The LEAN process can be used for some good improvement, however, it is more often than not, used to make a product less that what it was to save cost...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 04:00:49 PM »

But step back Howie...if a company is producing a baloon, and the baloon says do not inflate past x PSI and you inflate to x+10,.  When it bursts, is it the company's problem?  Now, I do NOT defend LEAN, and I think there should be excess capacity for safety...but if they design a drivetrain for 100 lb-ft of torque and no more, then if we go over that who is to blame for a problem.

In the past, let's say there was 100% excess in the design and you could safely go from 60 to 120 lb-ft of torque.  Now, if we reduce that excess to 10% and start with 100 lb-ft. of torque, then you could only go safely to 110 lb-ft.

These are use for illustration of my belief and not intended to represent your issue but your issue may in fact reinforce my position.

I don't agree with the philosophy but the bottom line is, I believe that they are doing just ennough to pass and get a "C" instead of going for the "A" because that is what the whole LEAN principle allows.

/Bill

That's all well and good. But when I own it, I should be able to do what I want with it. As long as I say FTW!!! Let's see here. You buy somthing that's got no room in it to do anything more with it than the way it was designed, even though you've had many options in the past. You have to figure out on your own that they changed the rules. But while they're quietly doing that, they locked the whole bike up in patents, preventing you from doing what you've always done to your bikes in the past!!! The greedy bastards want IT ALL!!! Well F them. They can't have it ALL!!! They don't start coming clean, they'll start seeing the beginning of the end!!! And it  couldn't happen to a nicer group of greedy corporate assholes!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »

Yes, you own it...but if at one time it could take up to 120, but now can only take 110, it wont help you.

I do not like this myself but I see it far too often.

When they made the first fiberglass sailboats, the pearsons...the hulls were two inches of solid glass.  now, they put in just enough glass and enough coring to get by on almost all of the production recreational boats.

/Bill

That's all well and good. But when I own it, I should be able to do what I want with it. As long as I say FTW!!! Let's see here. You buy somthing that's got no room in it to do anything more with it than the way it was designed, even though you've had many options in the past. You have to figure out on your own that they changed the rules. But while they're quietly doing that, they locked the whole bike up in patents, preventing you from doing what you've always done to your bikes in the past!!! The greedy bastards want IT ALL!!! Well F them. They can't have it ALL!!! They don't start coming clean, they'll start seeing the beginning of the end!!! And it  couldn't happen to a nicer group of greedy corporate assholes!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 04:51:08 PM »

Yes, you own it...but if at one time it could take up to 120, but now can only take 110, it wont help you.

I do not like this myself but I see it far too often.

When they made the first fiberglass sailboats, the pearsons...the hulls were two inches of solid glass.  now, they put in just enough glass and enough coring to get by on almost all of the production recreational boats.

/Bill

All I ask is to know WTF is going on, if I want to get into something, BEFORE I delve into it!!! Not too much to ask. They make these bikes, and all these performance "for off-road, race use only" parts for them I own it and wanna race it off-road, and buy all this expensive racing chit for it. But your base part, the cases, really can't take any of it in the first place!!! That's a buncha bullchit in my book. Decide what business you're in and market your product that way. I'm sick of them trying to wear both hats, and failing miserably at both now!!! FTF!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 05:04:06 PM »

I don't remember anything in my lean manufacturing classes that said the product quality should be sacrificed; as a matter of fact one of the benefits is supposed to be improved quality through efficiencies, reduced inventories, reduced waste, etc..  Looks more to me like just more of the same ol' same ol' from the "aces" running the company into the ground.  

When the TC was introduced in '99 the various reviewers like Donny Petersen were falling all over themselves praising the much better castings and the machining compared to the EVO or anything that went before.  And it sure seemed like things were good for the first few years.  However, that tooling is now 10 years old, and H-D drastically increased production a few years back.  I would guesstimate that they fell into the same short term thinking that has hurt many American manufacturers, cutting back on preventative maintenance to save $$ while increasing output past the original tooling design parameters.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »

I don't remember anything in my lean manufacturing classes that said the product quality should be sacrificed; as a matter of fact one of the benefits is supposed to be improved quality through efficiencies, reduced inventories, reduced waste, etc..  Looks more to me like just more of the same ol' same ol' from the "aces" running the company into the ground.  

When the TC was introduced in '99 the various reviewers like Donny Petersen were falling all over themselves praising the much better castings and the machining compared to the EVO or anything that went before.  And it sure seemed like things were good for the first few years.  However, that tooling is now 10 years old, and H-D drastically increased production a few years back.  I would guesstimate that they fell into the same short term thinking that has hurt many American manufacturers, cutting back on preventative maintenance to save $$ while increasing output past the original tooling design parameters.  

Jerry

Thanks for the non-defensive post Jerry! That makes some sense. Corporate greed may very well be the culprit here. If so, and we find that for sure, the whole world needs to know. You'll see the name Hoist! on every forum and bike magazine website I can find! I will be working with engineers now to see if we're getting screwed even worse than we thought. And if we are, ya'll know how quiet I'll be about it. I need to have the proper engineering performed by the right experts to determine this first. I hope that they at least know how to still build engine cases. If not, maybe converting the entire drivetrain to pre-'06 is the answer. And of course, sans 1 HD part!!! That way I can do WTF I want to MY bike!!! And I will be delivering the pile of dog chit '07 parts to the HD President's desk personally along with my good wishes!!! ::) ;)

Hoist! 8)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 05:15:52 PM »

Jerry

Class is different than manufacturing floor...again, some LEAN processes are good...but again, it is to deliver just enough to pass...overbuilding is excess and is a LEAN no-no.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 24 queries.