Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Oil  (Read 8705 times)

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
Re: Oil
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 11:16:25 AM »

+1 for hoist...this is one of the few things we agree on lol...I use valvoline racing straight 50 conventional oil in my 115hp/115tq '08 fxdse2...the reason is that it aerates less than synthetic and it maintains viscosity at operating temps better than syn...aeration is the foam that you see on the dipstick...it is not good, causes drag on the flywheels, and hampers cooling...also I'm running aggressive cams and valvesprings which makes for more noise...the conventional oil is much quieter than syn...of course I don't let my oil temp exceed 230* F and change at 2k miles...torco and spectro are better brands of conventional oil...so far I've been too cheap/lazy to get any since not everyone carries it and I can get valvoline at any auto parts store...don't believe me?...call hyperformance, r&r cycles, or hillside cycle...as always, jmho!
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 11:35:11 AM »

Thats funny skyhook I just left R&R with 4 quarts of torqo Dino oil.  They don't put any else in the big inch motors they build. And it is so much quieter I will stick with that for now and change every 1500mi or so. Syn may run cooler and even be better oil but everyone has a opinion on this topic and mine is quiet is peice of mind for me. Hearing the top end tick makes my brain wonder whats going on in there........it just MHO right or wrong.. Derek
113 inch S.E.
The parts list will never be put in writing :)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 11:39:15 AM »

Well running straight 50 weight probably would make things quieter, so would saw dust!  :D ;D ;)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 11:50:24 AM »

I do use straight 60 weight in my flathead...Only cause it is a total loss lubrication system.

Selection is per application or just plain old preference. 
Unfortunately for me I must use empirical data and cost benefit analysis at the place where I waste 8 hours a day of my life.  Real exciting stuff...And higher versus lower heating values during loss on ignition gonculations! Pluheezz can we talk?  :D

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2008, 11:58:16 AM »

I do use straight 60 weight in my flathead...Only cause it is a total loss lubrication system.

Selection is per application or just plain old preference. 
Unfortunately for me I must use empirical data and cost benefit analysis at the place where I waste 8 hours a day of my life.  Real exciting stuff...And higher versus lower heating values during loss on ignition gonculations! Pluheezz can we talk?  :D

Have you been drinking again?

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2008, 12:01:49 PM »

I need to start, stranded at work, truck is out for l/o/f and a detail, can't leave til it is done, then a 4 dayer commin on...

:drink:

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 12:39:58 PM »

Have you been drinking again?

without me?

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2008, 06:50:24 PM »

hey I don't claim to be an oil scientist...but as long as I've been riding and hopping up these archaic harleys, I've not met many folks more knowledgeable than hyperformance/king of cubes, hillside, and r&r...so when they tell me about reduced aeration I listen...and when I switched from syn few months ago, the motor sure did get quieter

like I said before, I'm sure syn has many advantages

I am genuinely interested in miker or anyone's take on aeration

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »

The foaming issues with syn oil is one I haven't heard much about, I think I'll look into it more, but as far as quieting down you motor, you have to compare apples to apples. You can't compare 50W to 10-40w, or 20-50w. I'm sure if you go with a heaver weight oil it will quiet down certain noises, but I had just the opposite experience, I had an intermittent noise coming from the cam chest, dealer never did find it, or open the chest under warranty to look. I switched to Mobil1 and the noise almost disappeared, hear it once in while. But to each his own, I like the syn oils and will stick with them. I'm sure many bikes, like in the past will run thousands and thousands of miles on dino oil, just not mine.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2008, 02:31:25 PM »

"I am genuinely interested in miker or anyone's take on aeration"

Ha!

Usually, I emphasize "usually" as HD is not usual unit to unit imho. 
Foaming in lube sumps is from sometimes attributable to high an oil level or caused by the rotational equipment from "oil whip" due to temperature, as it pertains to my equipment, I don't know or care enough about v twins. Hmmm?

When I switched from HD Syn to Mobil 1, the temp dropped 15 degrees to 230..A nice temp to drive out combustion blowby "nasties".  My 09 with HDSyn is like riding a pizza oven with a deviated septum running at 270...for now.

It really is a matter of comfort level to the owner, these things don't run long enough to determine any true guidance in long term lube selection, we actually run ur oil through a centrifuge during outages to clean it because we keep oil at controlled temps.

Again in my humble opinion, please take with a beer and pretzal.   ;)  ;D

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »

I always thought aeration was something you did to your lawn every fall.  (or is that areation).  Anyway how do you get foaming on the oil stick?  I've been running syn oils in my v-twins for years now and have never seen foaming or foam residue on the dipstick, even right after a long run in stop and go DC traffic.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2008, 10:09:52 PM »

howie, where ya at?...need some help here!

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2008, 10:10:28 PM »

I have Amsoil in everything I own ....including the lawnmower......would not run anything else.....

I am contemplating switching to Mobil 1 just for the fact that I can go purchase it at the Wall Mart just around the corner instead of having to order so much Amsoil just to ease in the cost per unit

Are you sure you can purchase Mobil One V-Twin at Wal Mart? I remember two years ago i went into a Wal Mart to purchase some Mobil One V-Twin and was told Wal Mart does not carry the Mobil One V-Twin product. They do carry Mobil One Synthetic for autos'' :nixweiss:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2008, 10:12:33 PM »

Are you sure you can purchase Mobil One V-Twin at Wal Mart? I remember two years ago i went into a Wal Mart to purchase some Mobil One V-Twin and was told Wal Mart does not carry the Mobil One V-Twin product. They do carry Mobil One Synthetic for autos'' :nixweiss:

Yep, just saw it a week or so ago on the shelf at the local Super WalMart.  $8.95/qt.   8)

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2008, 10:17:26 PM »

I believe it is up to the individual store...some Wal Mart stores in my area carry the Mobil One V-Twin - and others do not...   ???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 21 queries.