Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Oil thru Crash Bar  (Read 4579 times)

Wildrat

Oil thru Crash Bar
« on: November 21, 2008, 06:29:27 PM »

I did a search on this here and got nothing but reports of crashed bikes. I have seen people routing their oil thru the crash bar. Does this really help much?

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Re: Oil thru Crash Bar
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 07:41:47 PM »

Check out the Harley Tech Talk www.harleytechtalk.net website, their are a lot of members who have retrofitted their engine guards as oil coolers.

geezerglide

Wildrat

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:07:34 PM »

Roger, will do. I downloaded the info I found on another site. I will check this though to see if it has any improvements.
I know fellas have been doing this for many, many years and some guy decided he would be the inventor and get a patent on it. Here is his info maybe someone knows him.

Inventor: Kline, Steven C.

Address: 2232 Oaklawn Dr., Decatur, IL 62526
No. of patents: 1
Last patent issue date: 02/07/2006

Patent No.    Patent Title:    Issue Date:
6994150   Engine guard oil cooler

An integrated engine guard oil cooler is mounted to a motorcycle. The cooler is a hollow tube having an inlet, an outlet, a plurality of cross-sectional restrictions in its interior, and a plurality of radial cooling fins on its exterior. The tube has a shape such t..

kansaskim47

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:

I routed oil through the crash bar for an oil cooler on my 98 Road King at about 30k miles.  I used the Harley thermostat and drilled and tapped the mount tabs of the bar for stainless steel pipe fittings.

It seems to work well, adding about 1/2 to about 1 quart of circulating oil when it is hot. 

It has added to the longevity of the engine, now over 105k miles.

One drawback is draining and refilling the crashbar to change oil completely, only do that in the spring and fall.

The other drawback is varying oil level in the oil bag. When the oil cooler is operating, there is a mixture of oil and air pumped by the scavenge oil pump. Since the crash bar holds a little over a quart of fluid without air, the oil level varies.

A standard oil cooler holds very little volume, so you don't notice the difference.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:00:03 PM »

Did it for a buddy and it works great, he was using it as a second cooler.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 08:36:51 AM »

engine guard oil cooler works great, but run some kind of metal etching through the inside to remove rust and other crap that my be in there.    axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 09:19:17 AM »

engine guard oil cooler works great, but run some kind of metal etching through the inside to remove rust and other crap that my be in there.    axil

:2vrolijk_21:   

Another suggestion or two: 

While the bar is off, test it for leaks.  Since it wasn't originally designed for this purpose, the part wouldn't have been rejected if there was a pinhole in a weld for instance.  Much easier to rectify that sort of thing before you fill it with oil.

While you're drilling and tapping the holes for the oil lines, also add one or two drain plug holes so you don't have to remove oil lines to drain the oil.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Wildrat

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 02:28:59 PM »

A friend of mine had his done by someone and they put something inside that coated it. Does anyone know what it might have been? I remember something about this sort of thing but can not remember any names.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 05:58:52 PM »

A friend of mine had his done by someone and they put something inside that coated it. Does anyone know what it might have been? I remember something about this sort of thing but can not remember any names.

whats the stuff they put in new gas tanks to seal them? 

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »

whats the stuff they put in new gas tanks to seal them? 
Kreem
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Wildrat

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 09:30:11 PM »

I also found this. I read user reviews on both on a independent site on both Kreem and this item and it KBS seems to be the better of the two. Cost about the same. Some people like Pioneer, and some Sansui, and then their are some who like Fischer.

Does anyone know where their are pics of this mod? I have tried the links given in the post but I just get 404 error.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:31:46 PM by Wildrat »

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 10:13:49 PM »

Nifty idea.  Probably very clean in appearance.  Personally, I think the stock oil cooler is useless.  For one thing, how much air flow does it really get behind the front tire......with the wind vortex (dead air) right in front of it?  Second, how effective can a cooler be when it is constantly having road debris thrown at it from the front tire?  Third........the builder of my current engine tells me the stock cooler on CVO bikes "might" grant a cooling effect of roughly nine degrees.  Whoopty frickin' Doo!   :nixweiss:

So this engine guard cooler idea sounds pretty nice, BUT...............I think dual JAGGs on each downtube looks great and has a much........MUCH better cooling effect for the engine oil.  I was running one JAGG in parallel with the stock cooler until my recent engine difficulties, and I can tell you that the thermostat never opened for the stock cooler.  It was stone cold.  One JAGG cooler did the job.

Works for me.

Wildrat

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »

Call me stupid, but where on a Street Glide do the lines get hooked up. Am I removing and relocating the pressure switch and putting one line there or what? I am riding today so I will look at the bikes in the lot to see if any are doing this. The only other place to hook up is back there where the lines exit the oil pump. I have the service books so I can look at it if I have too, just my wife is trying to get me moving toward the bike. I'll give her enough time to clean my windshield first though. When I start my projects I will try to take pictures and post them here for you all.

On another note, I am a member of a few forums both HD related and my other hobby radio, electronics. electrical, etc.. I have only been a member here for a short time but no one here so far has been a smart a$$ like on some other forums and it is appreciated. I ask a lot of questions and to some it may appear that I don't know much. I ask questions usually to get differing opinions, take the good from all and make it better. So if anyone has a electrical problem, just ask I have my books here that go to 06 FL's so I can figure out the circuits if you are having problems, just bear with me because I am not fast, sometimes I am, most times not. Anyway, time to ride.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 10:27:29 AM »

Call me stupid, but where on a Street Glide do the lines get hooked up. Am I removing and relocating the pressure switch and putting one line there or what? I am riding today so I will look at the bikes in the lot to see if any are doing this. The only other place to hook up is back there where the lines exit the oil pump. I have the service books so I can look at it if I have too, just my wife is trying to get me moving toward the bike. I'll give her enough time to clean my windshield first though. When I start my projects I will try to take pictures and post them here for you all.

On another note, I am a member of a few forums both HD related and my other hobby radio, electronics. electrical, etc.. I have only been a member here for a short time but no one here so far has been a smart a$$ like on some other forums and it is appreciated. I ask a lot of questions and to some it may appear that I don't know much. I ask questions usually to get differing opinions, take the good from all and make it better. So if anyone has a electrical problem, just ask I have my books here that go to 06 FL's so I can figure out the circuits if you are having problems, just bear with me because I am not fast, sometimes I am, most times not. Anyway, time to ride.

Wildrat, you will need a Harley or an aftermarket oil filter adaptor plate, preferably one with a built-in thermostat, to make your cooler line connections.  Jagg has a nice one with the hose connections hidden under the filter.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

REGGAB

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 10:47:40 AM »

Wildrat, you will need a Harley or an aftermarket oil filter adaptor plate, preferably one with a built-in thermostat, to make your cooler line connections.  Jagg has a nice one with the hose connections hidden under the filter.

Jerry

Yeah Jerry, that adapter is nice, and it gets the job done.

2 things:

1)  As nice as it is, filter changes are frickin' messy.  I can't figure a way around it.  Cleanup afterward is a chore.
2)  That adapter needs to be put on and properly torqued.......and then when a filter is installed, one must strictly adhere to filter replacement guidelines.  Otherwise, when the filter is removed, the adapter will move before filter.  Nothing good comes of that.  Don't ask how I know.   :huepfenlol2:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.