Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Another Cam Choice Question For The Hell Riding Gurus!  (Read 13714 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Another Cam Choice Question For The Hell Riding Gurus!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 08:45:23 PM »

Seriously, just because Cybil might not be the best traffic skipper in the garage doesn't mean she's a grandmatronly ride with a detachable fairing sitting in the corner to keep your hair nice when riding to church on the high holy days.  You've got the benefit of having nearly purpose built rides right now.  An outstanding, stable, comfortable, well appointed, powerful highway touring machine and at least a couple of bad ass city bikes made for evading the traffic and potholes and for getting around them in a hurry.

Holy crap! I have that? That's what I wanted outta the deal too! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Thanks Don, and that's the lil white halo guy on my right shoulder talking to me now. The lil red guy on my left shoulder's also yelling "Don't do it Hoist"! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Vern'll be shocked if I ask him to detune it. And I guess I can always just throw the 625's in, if I'm not happy! I'm not sure he can set the heads up for both lifts, so I might have to pull the heads too. Damn, defeats the purpose! Holy crap, I'm really considering this! :rolleyes3: :rolleyes3: :rolleyes3:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »

Holy crap! I have that? That's what I wanted outta the deal too! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Thanks Don, and that's the lil white halo guy on my right shoulder talking to me now. The lil red guy on my left shoulder's also yelling "Don't do it Hoist"! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Vern'll be shocked if I ask him to detune it. And I guess I can always just throw the 625's in, if I'm not happy! I'm not sure he can set the heads up for both lifts, so I might have to pull the heads too. Damn, defeats the purpose! Holy crap, I'm really considering this! :rolleyes3: :rolleyes3: :rolleyes3:

Hoist! 8)

There is another option that would make your choice simpler.  Just get another SERK.  Build one as a timid pansy-assed lame-o milk-toast ride that will never break (you know, how you'll feel about Cybil if you detune her) and build the other the way you want to.  Then on days when you're feeling normal you can ride the good one; and on days when you're feeling like a eunuch you can ride the wuss bike ::) .

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 08:58:17 PM »

There is another option that would make your choice simpler.  Just get another SERK.  Build one as a timid pansy-assed lame-o milk-toast ride that will never break (you know, how you'll feel about Cybil if you detune her) and build the other the way you want to.  Then on days when you're feeling normal you can ride the good one; and on days when you're feeling like a eunuch you can ride the wuss bike ::) .

Hmmmm........A Good SERK and A Bad SERK! How novel! But that's what Cybil was supposed to be. That's why she's Cybil, with all them personalities! ;D

Ya think Binx'll go for it? ::) :ons_4: :D ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 09:00:02 PM »

Ya think Binx'll go for it? ::) :ons_4: :D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Oh yeah.  I'm sure it'll be just fine.  Really.  Trust me.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 10:59:03 PM »

Howie;
Do you have the specs on the CR cam?

Are you using roller rockers?

I have built some 107's recently using the t-man cams, The 625 worked very well in the 107 and I also used a 660-1 in the last 107 that I did. It pulled 125 tq and hp with it crossing 100 tq at 2500 rom and peaking at about 4.5K and holding steady.

I currently have a 124" project being built that i am going to use the 625 in with roller rockers. the valve lift will end higher due to the higher ratio of the rollers (1.675 compared to 1.625 on stock)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 11:59:07 PM »

Howie, the answer to this may lie in your history.
did you get in more or less trouble listening to your builder?

Vern is trying to tell you something
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 09:01:29 AM »

Howie, the answer to this may lie in your history.
did you get in more or less trouble listening to your builder?

Vern is trying to tell you something

Actually I'm not sure. With HD the original builder, ABSOLUTELY NOT! The original motor was the WORST of the lot. The second was built in complete accordance with the designer and built properly by the builder. A lifter failed. Chit happens. But it still makes it 3 no matter how ya cut it. But all the decisions were made in concert with the designer and builder. I always defer to the experts, even though I have many of my own ideas. We discuss them too.

In this case, Vern will use either cam. He just made sure I'm aware that I can detune it and have it prolly be a lil more reliable, and have more longevity. But he also knows I love to Hell Ride and wants me to have the Hot Rod engine that I love! His dilemma as well as mine! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 09:14:53 AM »

Howie;
Do you have the specs on the CR cam?

Are you using roller rockers?

I have built some 107's recently using the t-man cams, The 625 worked very well in the 107 and I also used a 660-1 in the last 107 that I did. It pulled 125 tq and hp with it crossing 100 tq at 2500 rom and peaking at about 4.5K and holding steady.

I currently have a 124" project being built that i am going to use the 625 in with roller rockers. the valve lift will end higher due to the higher ratio of the rollers (1.675 compared to 1.625 on stock)

Jim, I have standard ratio TP Roller Rockers in TP ProVent Rocker Boxes.

CR 595 cam specs:

Timing @.053
Intake:
Open 20; Close 42; Valve Lift .595; Rocker Ratio 1.625; Net .366
Exhaust:
Open 50; Close 12; Valve Lift .595; Rocker Ratio 1.625; Net .366
Duration: Intake/Exhaust 242/242
Lobe Center: Intake 101 Exhaust 109
Lobe Separation Angle 105; Overlap 32

It seems many of the performance builders think more like me and are using bigger cams to get the most out of the motor. Vern normally does the same. But since I kinda like to beat my bikes like a red-headed stepchild, he's thinking of taming it a lil to help it be able handle my abuse better! (I don't really abuse it, Im just VERY HARD on it) ;)

Thanks Jim! :2vrolijk_21:

*Might as well add this here.

S&S Cam Specs
585G:
Intake: Open 20; Close 45; Duration @ .053 245; Valve Lift .585
Exhaust: Open 60; Close 20; Duration @ .053 260; Valve Lift .585

625G:
Intake: Open 20; Close: 55; Duration @ .053 255; Valve Lift .625
Exhaust: Open 60; Close 20; Duration @ .053 260; Valve Lift .625

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:13:03 AM by Hoist! »

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 09:34:58 AM »

My buddie is selling his black n orange Busa if you wanna go fast, real fast...I mean effin fast... :P

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »

My buddie is selling his black n orange Busa if you wanna go fast, real fast...I mean effin fast... :P

I'm already going to Hell Mike! I don't wanna get there tomorrow though! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :D

Hoist! 8)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »

Howie, knowing the way you like to ride, just plan on building a new motor every year!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 10:22:19 AM »

Howie, knowing the way you like to ride, just plan on building a new motor every year!
 :2vrolijk_21:

HeHe!!! Maybe I should pick up a Jims 131 and keep it in the garage for the times that the 110 gets rebuilt, huh Tommy! ::) ;D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 11:49:33 AM »

CR 595 cam specs:

Timing @.053
Intake:  Open 20; Close 42; Valve Lift .595; Rocker Ratio 1.625; Net .366
Exhaust:  Open 50; Close 12; Valve Lift .595; Rocker Ratio 1.625; Net .366

Guess it has been awhile since saw the specs on your cams as I'd not remembered quite as much difference between them and the 598 Mackie set in the red bike's 107.  Not gigantic differences.  But definitely significant....

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 01:20:50 PM »

CR 595 cam specs:

Timing @.053
Intake:
Open 20; Close 42; Valve Lift .595; Rocker Ratio 1.625; Net .366
Exhaust:
Open 50; Close 12; Valve Lift .595; Rocker Ratio 1.625; Net .366

It seems many of the performance builders think more like me and are using bigger cams to get the most out of the motor. Vern normally does the same. But since I kinda like to beat my bikes like a red-headed stepchild, he's thinking of taming it a lil to help it be able handle my abuse better! (I don't really abuse it, Im just VERY HARD on it) ;)

Thanks Jim! :2vrolijk_21:

*Might as well add this here.

S&S Cam Specs
585G:
Intake: Open 20; Close 45; Duration @ .053 245; Valve Lift .585
Exhaust: Open 60; Close 20; Duration @ .053 260; Valve Lift .585

625G:
Intake: Open 20; Close: 55; Duration @ .053 255; Valve Lift .625
Exhaust: Open 60; Close 20; Duration @ .053 260; Valve Lift .625

Hoist! 8)

Howie;

cam manufactures spec the valve lift on the cams. In other words a spec'd valve lift of .625" is the actual lift of the valve at the valve, not the cam lift. to figure cam lift you need to take the spec'd number and divide it by 1.625 which is the stock rocker ratio. For example:

.625 (valve lift)/ 1.625 (stock rocker ratio) = .3846" of cam lobe lift.
the same cam with a 1.675-1 ratio roller would yield a valve lift of .644 valve lift (.3846 x 1.675)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 01:22:22 PM »

HeHe!!! Maybe I should pick up a Jims 131 and keep it in the garage for the times that the 110 gets rebuilt, huh Tommy! ::) ;D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
That is a great idea, especially if you could make it quick release change over like the tour pack. ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 24 queries.