Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: fulsac exhaust  (Read 9919 times)

screamin09

fulsac exhaust
« on: March 10, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »

i have heard alot about the fulsac conversion on 09 cvo pipes, i like the sound of rineharts, after seeing a thread of these pipes on a silver(fastest one) serg not sure if i wanna go that route. i know rush makes a 4" slip ons, but i dont know the sound. i like deep throaty sound.anyone have sound bite to either the fulsac or the rush slip ons ? thanks for any input, waiting for snow to melt in appleton, wi

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: fulsac exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »

i have heard alot about the fulsac conversion on 09 cvo pipes, i like the sound of rineharts, after seeing a thread of these pipes on a silver(fastest one) serg not sure if i wanna go that route. i know rush makes a 4" slip ons, but i dont know the sound. i like deep throaty sound.anyone have sound bite to either the fulsac or the rush slip ons ? thanks for any input, waiting for snow to melt in appleton, wi

I've owned Rush and Rinehart exhaust. I prefer Rinehart and the Fulsac baffles sound close to Rinehart. In fact, I think when Steve did my cat conv. and put in his 2 inch baffles on my SEUC, he told me the same company that makes the Rinehart baffles makes his.

Randall

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »

Wisconsin! :2vrolijk_21: I'm an Appleton rider too. Go with 2"Fulsacs. Stock has the best look. They sound great!
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:48:14 PM »

i like deep throaty sound.anyone have sound bite to either the fulsac or the rush slip ons ? thanks for any input,

Screamim09,

Look / listen here:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28086.30  Reply #'s 33 et seq. Jim Kerr posted some sound bites.  I can tell you the rineharts are much louder than the fullsacs.

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

screamin09

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 10:13:47 PM »

thanks for the info, turns out not but 15 min. from highwaystar. hopefully will get a chance to hear his scoot and decide which way to go. thanks everyone for our in put. shiney side up

8 U UP

• Full CVO Member
  • Eat'in em up every chance I get!

• CVO1: 09 SE ROAD GLIDE O/B
    • CVO2: 02 SUPERCHARGED HD F-150 BLACK
    • CVO3: 08 Z51 CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE ATOMIC ORANGE
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 11:06:25 PM »

I just installed the Fullsac 2.25" baffles, sounds great in the garage. I won't ride until I get the TTS Mastertune downloaded. I've had Rineharts on previous bikes and loved the sound, but I think I'm really going to like the sound of these baffels. I'll be in Chicago this weekend, maybe next week I'll post my results.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 01:30:12 AM »

I just sent this PM to screamin09 and since I typed all of this, I figured I would post these thoughts here in the thread also:

Well, over the past few months, I've had the stock system on, then drilled out the upper half of the cat and put the Fullsac baffles in my mufflers, and now I have switched to the D&D 2 into 1 system.

Stock - smooth and quiet.  I felt like I was riding a Harley Gold Wing.

Partial cat removed and Fullsac's - very nice deep rumble, and the sound level was just right.  It wasn't quiet, but it sure wasn't disturbingly loud either.  You definitely had a smile on your face when you twisted the throttle, but not loud enough to really piss anyone off.

D&D Fat Cat - Loud.  Did I mention that they are loud?  They sound fantastic and between the sound and the performance, you can't help but ride around with a smile on your face.  Did I forgot to say that they are loud?  Personally, I love the sound and you not only feel the power, but you hear it also.  The only thing I worry about with these pipes is how much I am going to piss people off.

Why didn't I stick with the Fullsac's if I liked them so much?  I didn't want to go through cutting my pipe in half, since I didn't have anyone to weld it back together.  Actually , I just found out Friday night that one of my close friends said he would have gladly done it, but too late now.  I also didn't want my bike to sit for 2 weeks or so without an exhaust on, so I didn't see sending my header pipes to Fullsac to gut them as an option.  I decided that I wanted to keep the Fullsac's, so I ordered the Vance & Hines Power Duals, which basically duplicate the stock system, but don't have the catalytic converter.  If I could have even located a stock system off a 96" motor, I would have done gone that route.  So anyway, I had my order in for the Power Duals, and week after week, they kept moving the backorder date by a week or 2, every week.  I lost confidence that I would be able to get those pipes soon, so I cancelled my order.  The only other option that I would consider was the D&D 2 into 1, and I was told that I could get those shipped immediately.  As it turned out, the dealer decided to keep the order in and have a set of Power Duals in stock.  Both exhaust systems arrived the same day, but I ordered the D&D from hdpipes.com and already paid for them, so I went ahead with those.

(They cut me off at 6000 characters, so I'm splitting my response into 2 responses)  Continued in next response.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 01:32:07 AM »

continuation of above response:

I'm glad now, since I saw a full bike photo with the Power Duals, and I don't really like the looks of them as well as the D&D's.  The D&D pipes are significantly more money, especially if you are going to add the ghost pipe to the left side.  I paid $781 for the 2 into 1 and another $305 for the ghost pipe.  The Power Duals are $519.95 list and the Fullsac baffles will cost you anywhere from $120 to $140, depending on where they have to be shipped to.

Again, I really liked the Fullsac's and the bike ran well, but not as well as it does now.  But, keep in mind that I still had half of the catalytic converter in the header pipe when I was running the Fullsac's.  So, I don't know if I gained performance from the pipes or just the lack of having any catalytic converter in the way anymore. 

If I were starting over again fresh, what route would I take, knowing everything that I know now?  I would have taken my stock header pipes to my friend and removed the cats completely, and put the Fullsac's baffles in, and I would have been very pleased with my bike.  I wouldn't have known whether the D&D would perform better or not, and I probably wouldn't have given it another thought.  When I drilled the cat out, I thought that was all there was.  I found out later that I only got half of it, and all the posts finally got to me and I wasn't sure what to do, and I couldn't live with it, thinking that 5" of catalytic converter may be preventing a big bunch of extra power, so I had to make some change.

Another thing to consider is tuning the bike.  It doesn't matter what exhaust system or anything else you do to your bike...it won't run well if it's not tuned properly.  I swapped bikes for a few miles with a friend of mine, that also has a SE Ultra.  He has the same pipes as me, an upgraded cam, ported heads, and some other things, and his bike ran like crap.  I knew within 30 seconds or less that his bike couldn't hang with mine.  He needs it tuned and I've been bugging him every day to get in touch with the shop and have them do it right.  I started from a dead stop on a long uphill stretch and flew through the gears to just over 100 mph and then realized I still had 6th gear left to go.  On his bike, I seriously doubt that he would be able make that stretch and exceed 70 mph.  His bike just starts bogging down once it hits 60 mph.  All I am saying is that you really need to get it dyno tuned by someone that knows what they are doing.

One more thing that makes my comparison of partial cat removal and Fullsac's vs D&D Fat Cats is this.  When I drilled the cat and installed the Fullsac's, I had the shop put a base map in the bike to run until I had 1000 miles and the full dyno.  The base map likely didn't have the bike running at peak performance with the mods already done, so performance wise, I'm really comparing apples and oranges.  I had the Fullsac's with just a base map, and now I have the D&D's with a full dyno tune.  Maybe the full tune would have given me the same performance with the Fullsac's.

The one thing that I did rule out as far as exhausts go was a true dual system.  For performance, from best to worst, you have 2 into 1, then 2 into 1 into 2 (like the stock sytem), and then in last place are the true duals.  I just can't see spending extra money to put a system on that performs worse than stock.

Well, you probably didn't expect this long of an answer, but don't worry...I type quite well.  I don't know if I gave you enough to make any concrete decisions, but probably enough to allow you to make your own judgement call.  It's much cheaper to alter the stock headers and get the Fullsac's and that may very well give you the perfect balance of sound, money, and performance.  At the opposite end, you can put a lot of money into D&D's and surely end up loud, expensive, and performing probably the best.  You may just want to go on looks alone, or sound, or money, but in the end I don't think you will find a real seat of the pants difference no matter what system you choose.  They will all do the trick.  It still boils down to personal preferences.  Hope I helped...and welcome to the forum.  Hope to see some posts showing what you end up doing.

Dave

8 U UP

• Full CVO Member
  • Eat'in em up every chance I get!

• CVO1: 09 SE ROAD GLIDE O/B
    • CVO2: 02 SUPERCHARGED HD F-150 BLACK
    • CVO3: 08 Z51 CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE ATOMIC ORANGE
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »

By the way I did install a catless 09' header pipe with the 2.25 Fulsac baffels, next is the TTS Mastertune download from Steve. That will produce 95 hp and 110 torque according to Steves dino runs. Not bad for not getting into the motor and spending roughly $625.00 if you do it yourself.

mustysharley

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 09:19:40 AM »

i recently put the RUSH slip-ons, on my 09 UCSE4. after 500 miles, the right side one, is turning blue. these and a screamin' eagle air cleaner, are the only upgrades, i have done, so far. also, the heat coming from the right side of the bike, really sucks. i traded in an 05 SEEG2 for this bike and never had a heat problem, like this. is it just a benefit of owning an 09? I've sent an e-mail to RUSH and complained, but i think i already know, what their answer will be. i think I'll switch to the VANCE & HINES, MONSTER OVALS. >:( :(

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 09:21:27 AM »

i recently put the RUSH slip-ons, on my 09 UCSE4. after 500 miles, the right side one, is turning blue. these and a screamin' eagle air cleaner, are the only upgrades, i have done, so far. also, the heat coming from the right side of the bike, really sucks. i traded in an 05 SEEG2 for this bike and never had a heat problem, like this. is it just a benefit of owning an 09? I've sent an e-mail to RUSH and complained, but i think i already know, what their answer will be. i think I'll switch to the VANCE & HINES, MONSTER OVALS. >:( :(

You need to get rid of the catalytic converters and get it tuned.  It will cool down a lot.

mustysharley

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »

i sure hope so. the power commander rep suggested that i wait until the 1000 mile check up, before installing the POWER COMMANDER V and the change out of the exhaust. there are allot of discussions, concerning the blueing of slip-ons and exhaust. my take, metal impurities. just my 2 cents. anyway, i change out the RUSH, when the other upgrades are done.  :bananarock:    thanks for your reply

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 12:00:53 PM »

If any of you like a deep throaty sound that blows the competition away try listening to the new CFR's. They Rock!! As was stated the bike always will need to be re-tuned to get the best performance and sound(Harmany) 8) 8)
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 12:38:30 PM »

continuation of above response:

I'm glad now, since I saw a full bike photo with the Power Duals, and I don't really like the looks of them as well as the D&D's.  The D&D pipes are significantly more money, especially if you are going to add the ghost pipe to the left side.  I paid $781 for the 2 into 1 and another $305 for the ghost pipe.  The Power Duals are $519.95 list and the Fullsac baffles will cost you anywhere from $120 to $140, depending on where they have to be shipped to.

Again, I really liked the Fullsac's and the bike ran well, but not as well as it does now.  But, keep in mind that I still had half of the catalytic converter in the header pipe when I was running the Fullsac's.  So, I don't know if I gained performance from the pipes or just the lack of having any catalytic converter in the way anymore. 

If I were starting over again fresh, what route would I take, knowing everything that I know now?  I would have taken my stock header pipes to my friend and removed the cats completely, and put the Fullsac's baffles in, and I would have been very pleased with my bike.  I wouldn't have known whether the D&D would perform better or not, and I probably wouldn't have given it another thought.  When I drilled the cat out, I thought that was all there was.  I found out later that I only got half of it, and all the posts finally got to me and I wasn't sure what to do, and I couldn't live with it, thinking that 5" of catalytic converter may be preventing a big bunch of extra power, so I had to make some change.

Another thing to consider is tuning the bike.  It doesn't matter what exhaust system or anything else you do to your bike...it won't run well if it's not tuned properly.  I swapped bikes for a few miles with a friend of mine, that also has a SE Ultra.  He has the same pipes as me, an upgraded cam, ported heads, and some other things, and his bike ran like crap.  I knew within 30 seconds or less that his bike couldn't hang with mine.  He needs it tuned and I've been bugging him every day to get in touch with the shop and have them do it right.  I started from a dead stop on a long uphill stretch and flew through the gears to just over 100 mph and then realized I still had 6th gear left to go.  On his bike, I seriously doubt that he would be able make that stretch and exceed 70 mph.  His bike just starts bogging down once it hits 60 mph.  All I am saying is that you really need to get it dyno tuned by someone that knows what they are doing.

One more thing that makes my comparison of partial cat removal and Fullsac's vs D&D Fat Cats is this.  When I drilled the cat and installed the Fullsac's, I had the shop put a base map in the bike to run until I had 1000 miles and the full dyno.  The base map likely didn't have the bike running at peak performance with the mods already done, so performance wise, I'm really comparing apples and oranges.  I had the Fullsac's with just a base map, and now I have the D&D's with a full dyno tune.  Maybe the full tune would have given me the same performance with the Fullsac's.

The one thing that I did rule out as far as exhausts go was a true dual system.  For performance, from best to worst, you have 2 into 1, then 2 into 1 into 2 (like the stock sytem), and then in last place are the true duals.  I just can't see spending extra money to put a system on that performs worse than stock.

Well, you probably didn't expect this long of an answer, but don't worry...I type quite well.  I don't know if I gave you enough to make any concrete decisions, but probably enough to allow you to make your own judgement call.  It's much cheaper to alter the stock headers and get the Fullsac's and that may very well give you the perfect balance of sound, money, and performance.  At the opposite end, you can put a lot of money into D&D's and surely end up loud, expensive, and performing probably the best.  You may just want to go on looks alone, or sound, or money, but in the end I don't think you will find a real seat of the pants difference no matter what system you choose.  They will all do the trick.  It still boils down to personal preferences.  Hope I helped...and welcome to the forum.  Hope to see some posts showing what you end up doing.

Dave

Just to add to a long quote:
Roger to the above!
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »

Update....
I just got back from a little camping trip/test run on the '09-96" bike (my "mule") to test some changes and how they performed.
Stats:
Stock 96" motor
Stock 96" catless head pipe
Fullsac 1.75" CVO mufflers
Screaming Eagle air cleaner
TTS tuner
Steve's dyno map (from his 96" bike, he also has a map for the 110)
Results:
from 38 to 42 MPG, this is from sea level to 4000', 2-up, pulling a fully loaded camp trailer!
Roads ranged from tight twisties to freeway, up to 70 mph
Bike started and ran flawlessly, great reduction in heat given off by the motor, confirmed by oil temp gauge, and IR thermometer.
I can run with my buddies Gold Wing with NO problems.

Testimonial:

With the changes on this bike, I will do the others same way. Totally different bike! I love it!

Steve: thanks for doing all the "grunt work" on YOUR bike, and sharing the results. I could not be happier, and will probably drop by on our way outta town in a few weeks.

HOGMIKE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 20 queries.