Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: Great New Part--Locking Glove Box Doors for Electra Glides from PJ57  (Read 54131 times)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Great New Part--Locking Glove Box Doors for Electra Glides from PJ57
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »

Here the twist lock door is in the open position.  As you can see, I used the straight latch arm.  I ground about 1/16" off the arm to clear the LH side of PJ's door frame.  I also broke off the door frame locking latch post and the twist arm now latches to the inside of the fairing body as well as PJ's frame.  Twists nicely and NO in and out play in the door.

As Don stated, the push button fuel door will not work as the "squares" are on the wrong side of the latch.

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2009, 09:27:27 PM »

Hey Boatman/JerseyT - Glad you guys like the product.  The whole idea of a twist or pushbutton latch are both great ideas.  We did experiment with the pushbutton setup, but without a pull handle of some sort, gravity sort of works against you.  As you push the button in you're also pushing the door in.  That forces you to grab the edge of the door with your fingertips to open (if you can picture what I mean).  The turn latch is something we'll have to investigate since it's obvious there seems to be a demand for that configuration.  I'll keep you guys posted.  Thanks again for all the positive feedback.  PJ

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »

YES!
I didn't have the time to experiment with this...
I knew someone here would figure it out.
PJ, do you think this will become an option directly from you?

Thanks for the effort Boatman.

Brad

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »

Were all counting on you PJ
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2009, 09:24:30 PM »

Nice documentary Bob....if you run out of things to buy let me know and i'll drop off the scoot.  8)

pj57

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2009, 06:52:03 AM »

Fellow CVOers - Per your request, I'm working on making the pusbutton and/or turn knob happen.  Might take some re-engineering, part search and a bit of time, but we will definitely take a look at the possibilities.  I'm glad everyone who has made a purchase is pleased with the product.  I never thought the response would be so positive, but I knew this was the perfect forum to launch an idea.  I've been on this site for years and I knew, given the collective knowledge of the membership, I'd hear it straight which is exactly what I wanted.  Thanks for your support.  Regards, PJ

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2009, 07:46:39 AM »

Hi PJ,

how about an additional magnetic push-lock?
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

pj57

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2009, 08:00:20 AM »

Hey Kraut - thanks for the suggestion.  Can you describe a magnetic push lock in more detail?  I think I know where you're headed but...PJ

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2009, 09:07:48 AM »

I thought of one of those used for kitchen furniture: you press on the door to release the magnetic catch and a spring opens it.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

iHarley

• My Bucket List is to long...
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2009, 10:17:45 AM »

Fellow CVOers - Per your request, I'm working on making the pusbutton and/or turn knob happen.  Might take some re-engineering, part search and a bit of time, but we will definitely take a look at the possibilities.  I'm glad everyone who has made a purchase is pleased with the product.  I never thought the response would be so positive, but I knew this was the perfect forum to launch an idea.  I've been on this site for years and I knew, given the collective knowledge of the membership, I'd hear it straight which is exactly what I wanted.  Thanks for your support.  Regards, PJ

Hello PJ,

I have a 2007 Harley Ultra Classic and read Don’s impressive review of your glove box doors.

I would like to get a set of these, but not sure how I want to go with the locks yet. Could you let me know more information on the pushbutton and/or turn knob option you are working on?

I send you a PM also.

Regards,
Tom

worship warrior

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2009, 11:48:28 PM »

PJ, I'm a new member and joined the forum especially to get information on your locking glove doors for my '04 Standard. I think I read that you are working on doors for '04 model as they are different from '05. Will the "05 work at all for '04 model? I need a pair of these ASAP for a paint job. Please update me as soon as you have the time.
Thanks, Worship Warrior

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2009, 12:56:06 AM »

PJ, I'm a new member and joined the forum especially to get information on your locking glove doors for my '04 Standard. I think I read that you are working on doors for '04 model as they are different from '05. Will the "05 work at all for '04 model? I need a pair of these ASAP for a paint job. Please update me as soon as you have the time.
Thanks, Worship Warrior

I don't intend to speak for PJ at all here.  Especially as I do know his intent is to have a set of doors that fit as well as they possibly can for both the older and newer applications.  Only wanted to mention that in Harley's own product that is the lesser quality competitor to what Pete is offering Harley sells their door for all 1991 and newer (HD # 57411-08).

pj57

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2009, 01:50:24 AM »

Worship/iHarley:  Sorry I'm late on replying to everyone's posts...I was sent out on a business trip unexpectedly.  To answer a few questions, the shape of the '04 and older glove box openings is very different in shape and design than the '05-newer.  It's gets even more complicated since even within the '04 and older glove boxes, there are two different designs.  We looked at a universal door for the '04-older glove boxes, but in our opinion to do so would look pretty tacky in terms of fit and finish.  I'm really curious how H-D came up with a one size because my basic geometry skills tells me you can't do it and have a well integrated unit. Guess I'll have to buy one of the competitions   ???  Actually, I won't since I can see by the pictures of their product it's a matter of one door and several adapters.  Knowing the differences in glove box shapes over the years, we thought there would be more demand for the '05-newer product so it was designed first. In essence, the designs are so different you might as well call the two versions of the '04-older a matter of starting from scratch.  So bear with us, you '04 and older bunch.  We're working on it but please understand the design for the '05-newer took 2+ years to get as close to perfect as we could make it. While I'm projecting a month or two for the '04-older versions, there's just so much tweaking that goes on once you've developed a prototype...lock fitment, die makers for the gaskets, what type of fasteners, etc...  The bottom line is this: 1. we won't compromise in getting a quality product out even if it takes time to get it right and 2. you folks will be the first to get them when they do become available.  The feedback we've gotten from everyone here has been gratifying and we have taken the suggestions to heart which leads to the next topic:  Coming up with a non-locking option.  We're looking at that too.  We're running some things by our lock supplier and others, but from the lock company's standpoint a custom order isn't worth the bother unless we purchase a whole bunch of them.  This is definitely one of those needle in a haystack searches, but we'll find something that works.  Again, please be patient and we'll give it our best shot.  Regards, PJ
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:01:21 AM by pj57 »

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2009, 12:02:11 PM »

SaWeeeet !

Good report on a seemingly good product. Just what i need. Another place to use the key. :bananarock:
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

iHarley

• My Bucket List is to long...
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2009, 12:07:50 PM »

PJ,

Thank you for the update! I don't want to wait for the pushbutton and/or turn knob option you are working on and would like to order your glove box doors now and have the locks matched to my existing HD key.

Please respond to the PM I sent you, so I can get this rolling.

Thank YOU!
Tom
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.