Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: Wheel recall (Blade Wheels cracking)  (Read 35489 times)

Mamba

• CVO1: '09 FLTRSE3
Re: Wheel recall (Blade Wheels cracking)
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2009, 05:57:49 PM »

I checked my vin and per the website mine is included in the recall also. I am trying to get it in to the stealer tonight so they can get it inspected soon and get the ball rolling if need be. I'm hoping to be on the road soon for Sturgis soon. The stealer couldn't believe how I knew more than they did. Thanks everyone for all of the great info! I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
"DVC"

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2009, 06:31:57 PM »

I am also starting a 3k miles tour on wednesday to mallorca .
Time to check -yes

change to a regular touring wheel and let your dealer sort it out in whatsoever time he may like to need.

Place a cc of your request to your local attorney general.

Stop telephoning, only correspond in writing.

And don't forget to charge your wasted time.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Desert Dave

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2009, 09:59:34 PM »

I am not on the list.  Picked the bike up 8/08.  How are you guys determining the build date?

DD
2009 FLTRSE3 CVO - Black / Orange - Clear View 14" smoked windshield, Full size custom painted tour-pack. SERT, 1.75 inch Fullsacs. Wild 1 517's, lowers, RICOR rear shocks, and Intiminator's on the front.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2009, 10:11:59 PM »

Date of Manufacturer is on the stem of every bike.

slsecvorg110

• Full CVO Member
  • FLTRSE3 CV0

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2009, 10:32:38 PM »

I am on the list too...Dealer here in Evansville Indiana was not aware of recall either. After they looked into it they told me that if they inspected it and there was a problem they would not be able to release the bike back to me until there was a new rim available to put back on my bike. They could not (would not) give a date that the replacement would be available. I asked if there was some indication of what I should look for myself but they could not (would not) say.

It seems all OEM's are a little hesitant to spill the beans when they have problems. It is a good thing this forum is available for us to learn about these little S.N.A.F.U. problems.

It troubles me to great extent that I have invested hard earned dollars on what I thought was a state of the art Motorcycle only to discover that I have apparently been at a far greater risk of a life threatening situation than I ever dreamed of. To think that the MOCO was aware of this problem for quite a long time before it was brought to the attention of loyal customers troubles me even more.  :(
Orange you glad you got one?  I am!
TTS Mastertune with Fullsac Map. K&N Element.
Fullsac 2" Baffles, Gutted Cat. Bosch Iridium Plugs. 440 Progressive shocks, Passenger floor boards with angle spacers, Driver boards spaced 1". LePera Sorrento Seat. ClearView Re curve wind shield. Mini Beast air horn. Pulsing brake light module. Hyper white head lamps. Detach Chopped Tour Pack. George Anderson Tour Pack Relocator. Wild one 517 bars.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2009, 10:39:41 PM »

I called my HD Service Manager (Helsinki, Finland) and he told me that they will remove the tire and look for markings "R1" or "R2" inside the rear wheel.
If one of the markings is found the rear wheel will be replaced with a new one.
He told that this fault is in approx 125 SERGs worldwide.

Well, I sure hope the possible replacing will start asap, my bike (international model) is on the list.  :-\

This is the same thing my dealer told me.  The problem was that he couldn't get me in for an inspection until July 25, which would be too late for a trip we had planned.
  So I took my wheel off today and took it to them to be checked.  Luckily mine was ok and I brought it home and put it back on.  Can't believe they didn't have time to take a wheel off and put it back on.
Steve

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2009, 10:57:55 PM »

But here in germany they do not know what to check to say i need a wheel or not , this is the problem here .
Time to check -yes
but what to check ?????
Please tell me if you know .
 Is it the R1 and R2 mark ?
What did yours show ?

Highjagger,

Yes, if there is an R1 or R2 mark on the innert part of the wheel *INSIDE* the tire, then the wheel will need to be replaced, according to H-D Customer Service and the Recall notice.

Mine did *NOT* have the R1 or R2 mark, but the dealer did not say what mark it did have (if any).

RickC

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2009, 11:02:50 PM »

This is the same thing my dealer told me.  The problem was that he couldn't get me in for an inspection until July 25, which would be too late for a trip we had planned.
  So I took my wheel off today and took it to them to be checked.  Luckily mine was ok and I brought it home and put it back on.  Can't believe they didn't have time to take a wheel off and put it back on.

Same story here, Skippy. I had to take time off of work today to get my bike to a dealer 30 miles from home by 9am. My regular dealer is 5 minutes from my house. The dealer close to home couldn't look at my bike until the 22nd. The dealer 30 miles away could see me this morning first thing... or not until the 23rd.

All the dealers' service departments are full right now because everyone is getting bikes ready for Sturgis. It happens *EVERY* year. For a month before Sturgis, you can't get an appointment without a signed permission slip from the Almighty himself. For some of us who aren't on speaking terms with said deity, that can be a real bummer.

RickC

Smuuth

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE³
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2009, 11:05:14 PM »

I am on the list too...Dealer here in Evansville Indiana was not aware of recall either. After they looked into it they told me that if they inspected it and there was a problem they would not be able to release the bike back to me until there was a new rim available to put back on my bike. They could not (would not) give a date that the replacement would be available. I asked if there was some indication of what I should look for myself but they could not (would not) say.

It seems all OEM's are a little hesitant to spill the beans when they have problems. It is a good thing this forum is available for us to learn about these little S.N.A.F.U. problems.

It troubles me to great extent that I have invested hard earned dollars on what I thought was a state of the art Motorcycle only to discover that I have apparently been at a far greater risk of a life threatening situation than I ever dreamed of. To think that the MOCO was aware of this problem for quite a long time before it was brought to the attention of loyal customers troubles me even more.  :(

The recall kits (replacement wheels) will be available from the factory after July 20.  The factory will not ship them to a dealer until after the dealer has inspected a wheel and found one of the codes which indicates a problem.  Assuming you get your wheel inspected asap and the dealer notifies the factory, it should be about a week to get the replacement.  That is still going to cut it very close for some of us planning trips.

It is a shame the factory could not have managed to get this recall out a month or two ago.  It would have made it much easier for us who are affected to schedule the required inspections as well as get the necessary shop time for the bikes needing replacement wheels.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:09:40 PM by Smuuth »
Patriot Guard

The best thing about riding in the rain is you don't have to stop to piss.

Big-T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09" SERG O&B
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2009, 11:05:38 PM »

That is one heck of an assumption. How do you know this wasn't discovered two weeks ago? This problem was probably discovered during an accident investigation. They haven't known about it for long considering the recent build dates effected. You can bet that they acted on it pretty fast. The days of cover ups on safety issues are rare considering the price if they get caught. If you have lost faith in your bike or HD then sell it fast. There are many that would love to own it at a discount. T.
Never too old to Rock N Roll but too young to die!

slsecvorg110

• Full CVO Member
  • FLTRSE3 CV0

« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2009, 11:25:39 PM »

Gonna stay with it. Bought it cause I really like it. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions faster than I should. Maybe not. Based on what I have read so far it seems this problem has been around for longer than a couple weeks. I have not heard of any come apart failures yet and hope I don't. I am concerned, as anyone in there right mind should be, that there is potential for major problems. Yes I am taking the bike in to be looked over. No it is not for sale...I'd just like to have confidence that when there are known issues that it will be brought out and resolved properly. Not at all too much to ask.
Orange you glad you got one?  I am!
TTS Mastertune with Fullsac Map. K&N Element.
Fullsac 2" Baffles, Gutted Cat. Bosch Iridium Plugs. 440 Progressive shocks, Passenger floor boards with angle spacers, Driver boards spaced 1". LePera Sorrento Seat. ClearView Re curve wind shield. Mini Beast air horn. Pulsing brake light module. Hyper white head lamps. Detach Chopped Tour Pack. George Anderson Tour Pack Relocator. Wild one 517 bars.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2009, 12:53:34 AM »

Gonna stay with it. Bought it cause I really like it. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions faster than I should. Maybe not. Based on what I have read so far it seems this problem has been around for longer than a couple weeks. I have not heard of any come apart failures yet and hope I don't. I am concerned, as anyone in there right mind should be, that there is potential for major problems. Yes I am taking the bike in to be looked over. No it is not for sale...I'd just like to have confidence that when there are known issues that it will be brought out and resolved properly. Not at all too much to ask.
I will tend to agree with you, let us not forget the first generation 110" catastophy(s) which included faulty crank shafts among other malfunctioning parts within. I had an engine lock up due to crank failure while traveling a bit above the limit, to me that was a safety issue and the Motor Companies action was to increase the tolerances of crank run out prior to my incident. I had a total of 4 crate motors till the Motor Company improved, not perfected, the 110".

viaton

• Rockin' in Hellsinki
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2006 FLSTFSE²
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2009, 02:28:51 AM »

But here in germany they do not know what to check to say i need a wheel or not , this is the problem here .
Time to check -yes
but what to check ?????
Please tell me if you know .
 Is it the R1 and R2 mark ?
What did yours show ?

How can they not know?
Dealers in Germany get exactly the same service info from MoCo as we do over here in Scandinavia?

Dude, they're talking BS.....  ;)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:31:02 AM by viaton »

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2009, 05:29:50 AM »

I just phoned and they know it :
 If there is a R1 or R2 into the whell than it has to be changed , but no wheels yet available , means no bike when the check is " R1 or R2 ".
Then the fight will begin to get a bike to make the tour , and they do not want to give you a bike for free ( but you have the right to get one within the first year of warranty ) .
 Let`s wait and see .
 The other problem ,the dealer has no time to check the wheel - fuxxx off
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2009, 09:38:19 AM »

the dealer has no time to check such a vital part as the rear wheel? If it breaks at 120 mph you may well be a dead man. Put some fire on him   :whip:
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 24 queries.