Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Extended Warranty Question?  (Read 14692 times)

DanM

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
Extended Warranty Question?
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:02:05 PM »

Is the purchase of an extended warranty worth the money on a 2009 and later Screamin Eagle bike?

I think Harley has worked out a lot of the major issues with the 110 motors. And I’m leaning toward that it’s not worth the cost, it’s a gamble either way. I’m wondering what some of you think.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Extended Warranty Question?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:20:41 PM »

Here's what I found with the search feature.  This topic has multiple threads and opinions.........   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=search2
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:24:10 PM »

My heated grips have gone out 4 times - finally just heat demons.  It is a good question with the 07 -110 I am glad I have the 7 year warranty, I also have the bike just about where I want her (for some reason this is usually the time I trade :confused5:) so I don't have any plans on trading in the next few years so it is cheap insurance in case something major breaks on the bike.  

With twin girls (17 months old)  I only have 7600 miles on my bike and I had 6000 2 years ago.  I really have not had time to ride although I am going every chance I get.  I know from what I have read that alot guys have had problems around the 10,000 mile mark so I will just have to wait and see, hopefully I don't need it but it is there if I do.

A few questions I would ask myself today if I bought a new bike and was considering the warranty would be.

1. How often do I trade - How long I am going to keep the bike
2. How many miles do I ride a year
3. What mods am I going to do to fix the bike so that it runs correctly

If I was going to keep the bike for 5 years or more then I would buy ithe warranty from Jenni at Tri County HD.  I believe my 7 year cost me $1600 so that is about $250 a year pretty cheap insurance.  Also any warranty left is transferrable so that is a good selling point for you to a buyer and also gives a buyer confidence

If I could ride as much as I wanted 10k a year + I would also buy it - the chances of their being a problem with more miles increases again cheap insurance

This is my 2 cents I know there are alot of other members that have more knowledge than I do on this but this would be a good starting point - it doesn't take long to spend 2k at a dealership .

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 07:01:51 PM »

Does the extended warranty have a milage limit ??
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

Pete

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:33:19 PM »

I did the five year extension on my 03 Road King and never used it. My buddy got a three year extension on his 05 and this year needed a new motor and transmission. I just got an 10 RG (not yet delivered) but for the $1500 I'll sleep better for seven years. You can negotiate the price..

DanM

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 07:44:44 PM »

I'm not sure about a milage limit from Harley. My local dealer offers the Harley extended warranty and they are pushing "Heavy Duty Motorcycle Coverage" which has an unlimited milage. Heavy Duty Motorcycle Coverage is located in Chicago.

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 04:26:56 PM »

Harley's ESP has not mileage limit. I got my 7 year warranty (5 year extension) with wheel and tire coverage for $1220. I think if you ride your bike more than 2000 miles a year, it's well worth the money. For those of us that get into the 10000+ miles a year, it's a no-brainer. JMHO

Opee
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 04:32:53 PM »

Opee, whwre you'd get such a good price on the warranty with wheel & tire coverage? Thanks

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 04:41:17 PM »

I purchase the extended plan.....I ride 12-17k a year. I  am not sure if it's a no brainer, but to me it's worth the money.

If your radio goes out......you made your money back.
Heated grips......never ending battle.

There are many reasons to purchase it, the one for me is a good nights sleep.

JMO
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 06:45:49 PM »

Granted, mine's an '07. With 37K total miles on the bike, the first 6 months of extended warranty has paid for: Primary chain, inner primary bearing (2nd one), compensator,  starter clutch (2nd one) and I still have 4 1/2 years left, unlimited milage. These repairs do not include work done under original 2 year warranty. I purchased it just for peace of mind and intended on cashing it in at some point. Not now though.

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 07:03:55 PM »

I've put  over 80,000 miles on my '04 SEEG,so guess the extended warranty is a good idea If I can get it for $1200.Don't think It would have paid on this bike,but haven't stopped to figure it out.Biggest gamble is finding a dealer with a decent mechanic if you break down away from home.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

VI48

• CVO1: 08FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 10:11:06 PM »

Harley's ESP has not mileage limit. I got my 7 year warranty (5 year extension) with wheel and tire coverage for $1220. I think if you ride your bike more than 2000 miles a year, it's well worth the money. For those of us that get into the 10000+ miles a year, it's a no-brainer. JMHO

Opee

Hey Opee
I am also looking to purchase extended warranty and would like to know where to get such a great deal.

Thanx Lance
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:13:15 PM by VI48 »
Someday I can retire and just RIDE
By that time I won't be able to remember
where I left my bike

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 07:59:05 AM »

My 09 cvo ultra has been at teh dealer for 2 weeks tomorrow. They and HD i have no idea what the problem is with it, currently the top end of the engine is torn down. Next week i will be insisting they componsate me for loss of bike for such a long time and i will be askign about an exteneded warranty.

So to answer your question, No appreantly they havent worked out all the bugs in the 110 engine and yes, looking back i wish i had considered the extended warranty at time of purchase.

Yes, my bike is still covered where it is onyl 3 months old, but what about the future.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:29:35 AM »

Granted, mine's an '07. With 37K total miles on the bike, the first 6 months of extended warranty has paid for: Primary chain, inner primary bearing (2nd one), compensator,  starter clutch (2nd one) and I still have 4 1/2 years left, unlimited milage. These repairs do not include work done under original 2 year warranty. I purchased it just for peace of mind and intended on cashing it in at some point. Not now though.

They nearly always pay for themselves.....especially on baggers with all the electrics.  That's been my experience on the last three.  But I haven't paid over 1k for the seven year.....it is negotiable.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SuperMario

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 12:45:53 PM »

How on earth could all that stuff go wrong with a 2007 motorcycle?  It must have been a Monday or a Friday bike.
Officially old enough to be a Geezer Glide pilot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.