Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: First Impressions after 150 miles on my new 2010 FLHTCUSE5  (Read 16666 times)

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
Re: First Impressions after 150 miles on my new 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »

Hawg Wired is digital much cooler operating, the HK is too large and generates to much heat.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

fedupc3

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2009, 08:15:07 AM »

heat wave you might want to check on them other shocks from some one who has them a friend of mine did that to his 09 seuc and it was like ridding a brick it was lousy so he changed back, it will definatly not be as good as the air shocks
02 FLHTCI  SCREAMIN EAGLE 103CU,IN SCREAMIN EAGLE 6 SPEED,

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2009, 11:02:42 PM »

heat wave you might want to check on them other shocks from some one who has them a friend of mine did that to his 09 seuc and it was like ridding a brick it was lousy so he changed back, it will definatly not be as good as the air shocks

I just did a couple hundred miles today and was very impressed with the handling and comfort of the '10 SE Ultra. I'm continuing to re-assess my original plans as I ride the bike more. Given the handling I experienced, I found the bike to be very balanced through lot's of twisties roads that left me hungry for more. I'm beginning to think that any change to the suspension could only reduce the handling from what I'm currently experiencing. I'll be riding more miles before making any changes to the suspension and I'm leaning away from lowering the bike the more I ride it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 06:57:45 PM by Heatwave »

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2009, 11:06:50 AM »

... I'm continuing to re-assess my original plans as I ride the bike more... I'm beginning to think that any change to the suspension could only reduce the handling... and I'm leaning away from lowering the bike the more I ride it.

I would definitely reassess from your original thoughts. Lowering it is not going to solve your concerns of a lower center of gravity. Some of the biggest mistakes I have made with motorcycles was buying something I didn't need before fully understanding what I already had. When the time comes, look at Traxxion. It's money (a lot of it) well spent.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »

I would definitely reassess from your original thoughts. Lowering it is not going to solve your concerns of a lower center of gravity. Some of the biggest mistakes I have made with motorcycles was buying something I didn't need before fully understanding what I already had. When the time comes, look at Traxxion. It's money (a lot of it) well spent.

I'm coming to the same conclusion. After another 200mile yesterday, I'm so impressed with the handling I would be very nervous about any changes to the suspension. If there was a degradation of the handling from where it is now it would be money completed wasted.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »

you seem to be on a good road  ;)

First understand the problem, than go search for solutions  ::)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

jasel

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2009, 10:29:07 PM »

Quick update on the mods for my FLHTCUSE5: Ground out the welds in the factory baffles and made them removeable.[snip]

Could you give a more detailed description of what you did? It looks like tou have to remove or move the sheilds to get the end caps off. Then do you grind from the inside around the muffler shell? Are you just preparing for different baffles or can you open up the stock ones for a little more sound a flow without losing power (or even gaining some)?

Thanks,

James
2010 FLHTCUSE5 w/500miles

First impression. Too quiet in the exhaust, too noisy in the valves a/o primary (sound like there's no oil in the bike). Seat way too high and flat. Needs some shape to sit down into it and farther back (currently riding with a FLHX seat from a 2009 bike). Doesn't feel like it has the torque it should have with 110" (maybe its the lowers and windshield holding it back).

First mod: Got rid of the saddlebag guards and put a set like on the Street Glide. They say it won't fit because the colored filler strips are bolted onto the stock guards, but you don't hardly notice they're gone and it looks much nicer without the s'bag guards. Will post pics soon.

Also: I ride an FLHX Street Glide which comes lowered. Much stiffer and less comfortable. You don't gain much and lose a lot in my opinion. It reminds you over every bump in the road.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:33:27 PM by jasel »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2009, 11:38:54 PM »

Could you give a more detailed description of what you did? It looks like tou have to remove or move the sheilds to get the end caps off. Then do you grind from the inside around the muffler shell? Are you just preparing for different baffles or can you open up the stock ones for a little more sound a flow without losing power (or even gaining some)?

Thanks,

James
2010 FLHTCUSE5 w/500miles

First impression. Too quiet in the exhaust, too noisy in the valves a/o primary (sound like there's no oil in the bike). Seat way too high and flat. Needs some shape to sit down into it and farther back (currently riding with a FLHX seat from a 2009 bike). Doesn't feel like it has the torque it should have with 110" (maybe its the lowers and windshield holding it back).

First mod: Got rid of the saddlebag guards and put a set like on the Street Glide. They say it won't fit because the colored filler strips are bolted onto the stock guards, but you don't hardly notice they're gone and it looks much nicer without the s'bag guards. Will post pics soon.

Also: I ride an FLHX Street Glide which comes lowered. Much stiffer and less comfortable. You don't gain much and lose a lot in my opinion. It reminds you over every bump in the road.

To remove the baffles in the stock SE mufflers check out this thread http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28086.0

You are essentially making the stock baffles in the SE mufflers removeable. Once they have been removed and made changeable you can insert whatever size baffle (there are 3 sizes from Fullsac) meets your needs.

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2009, 07:06:32 AM »

Reference the riding height and sitting "in it" as opposed to"on it". I transitioned from a Heritage and during my first couple of hundred miles I really thought I'd made a mistake.  I had a bit of a time getting used to the higher and more erect style of riding.  Now though after about 5,000 miles I know I made a great upgrade.  I loved the Heritage, but I would never go back to one.  I would install a Clearview windshield on it, what a difference and gets rid of all that turbulence.  I agree the floorboards need to (and will) be moved out.  Congratulations on the new bike.  Enjoy it and be careful!
Brett in AK

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2009, 09:07:12 AM »

Reference the riding height and sitting "in it" as opposed to"on it". I transitioned from a Heritage and during my first couple of hundred miles I really thought I'd made a mistake.  I had a bit of a time getting used to the higher and more erect style of riding.  Now though after about 5,000 miles I know I made a great upgrade.  I loved the Heritage, but I would never go back to one.  I would install a Clearview windshield on it, what a difference and gets rid of all that turbulence.  I agree the floorboards need to (and will) be moved out.  Congratulations on the new bike.  Enjoy it and be careful!

You might try installing...

REAR
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442228639&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309359455&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309359455&bmUID=1251550983000&bmLocale=en_US

AND

FRONT
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448768441&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309359455&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309359455&bmUID=1251550982984&bmLocale=en_US

They make a hugh difference and makes it feel more like you're in it rather than on it.

I love the addition to mine. :2vrolijk_21:

ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

JohnT.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 ; '08 White
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2009, 04:37:15 AM »

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like you really don't like the bike as stock. Let's get this right.. Harley made this as a LUXURY, get out of town in style machine. Yes, it has a  110 motor.. but, it is not a drag bike... This bike was "originally" designed to travel down the highway quickly and QUIETLY, with a certain sense of STYLE. Maybe you should have bought the Street Glide instead. IMO and I am an Ultra rider, To turn an Ultra into a Street Glide is like ruining the soul of the bike, that's why they make 2 different models.. Personally, I love the SEUC just for what it is: A get out of town in comfort, and quickly, roll down the highway with a custom look and style, with alittle more power than stock, that's it, looking good at 75-80 rolling(or more sometimes) and once you get there, everybody steps out of the house to look at your ride, not a Dyna,Softail,or a "stripped down" touring, but a FULL TOURING RIG... That's where it's at, IMO Maybe you should have held your ground for that "Street Glide", Not to piss people off.. Just my opinion.. Get what you want.. Don't settle for SECOND best then change everything to be what you originally wanted..

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2009, 08:30:18 AM »

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like you really don't like the bike as stock. Let's get this right.. Harley made this as a LUXURY, get out of town in style machine. Yes, it has a  110 motor.. but, it is not a drag bike... This bike was "originally" designed to travel down the highway quickly and QUIETLY, with a certain sense of STYLE. Maybe you should have bought the Street Glide instead. IMO and I am an Ultra rider, To turn an Ultra into a Street Glide is like ruining the soul of the bike, that's why they make 2 different models.. Personally, I love the SEUC just for what it is: A get out of town in comfort, and quickly, roll down the highway with a custom look and style, with alittle more power than stock, that's it, looking good at 75-80 rolling(or more sometimes) and once you get there, everybody steps out of the house to look at your ride, not a Dyna,Softail,or a "stripped down" touring, but a FULL TOURING RIG... That's where it's at, IMO Maybe you should have held your ground for that "Street Glide", Not to piss people off.. Just my opinion.. Get what you want.. Don't settle for SECOND best then change everything to be what you originally wanted..

Great post JohnT.  That was very well said.  I agree 100% with everything you said, BUT...  I do understand why many will make their tourpack detachable and have a second seat ready to mount on.  It's a relatively cheap way to have a second bike with an equally impressive paint job.  I bought my bike for the utility of the storage space as a basic consideration and I'm not willing to lose my tourpack to give it a different look.  My personal opinion is that the MOCO should have offered the SEUC with a detachable tourpack to begin with.  The fact is, and I think you'll agree, that the "make it your own" concept is part of most of our mentalities when it comes to our Harleys.  We all have our own ideas of what mods we want to do to our bikes, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Does it make any sense to me why someone would want to buy a SEUC, and then remove the tourpack, change the seat, lower the suspension, and just plain do everything they can to make it into a Street Glide?  Not to me.  Like you said, that's why they make 2 different models.  It does make more sense to me to add a tourpack to a Street Glide if you want the occasional extra space, than to completely rebuild a SEUC to make it into a Street Glide.  This topic is something that can be debated back and forth, and in the end everybody will be correct.  "To each his own" is the way it should be when it comes to modifying our bikes.  Again, I thoroughly enjoyed reading what you wrote and for my own circumstances happen to agree with you wholeheartedly, however I do realize that we all have our own agendas and that doesn't necessarily make everybody else wrong.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like you really don't like the bike as stock. Let's get this right.. Harley made this as a LUXURY, get out of town in style machine. Yes, it has a  110 motor.. but, it is not a drag bike... This bike was "originally" designed to travel down the highway quickly and QUIETLY, with a certain sense of STYLE. Maybe you should have bought the Street Glide instead. IMO and I am an Ultra rider, To turn an Ultra into a Street Glide is like ruining the soul of the bike, that's why they make 2 different models.. Personally, I love the SEUC just for what it is: A get out of town in comfort, and quickly, roll down the highway with a custom look and style, with alittle more power than stock, that's it, looking good at 75-80 rolling(or more sometimes) and once you get there, everybody steps out of the house to look at your ride, not a Dyna,Softail,or a "stripped down" touring, but a FULL TOURING RIG... That's where it's at, IMO Maybe you should have held your ground for that "Street Glide", Not to piss people off.. Just my opinion.. Get what you want.. Don't settle for SECOND best then change everything to be what you originally wanted..

You're obviously entitled to your opinion...as I am. I happen to think you're pretty far off base. Each and every Harley model is designed with one and only one purpose in mind. To make money for the manufacturer. Period. Nothing more and nothing less. Anyone attributing "soul" to a piece of machinery is a wee bit caught up in the marketing hype.

Harley's entire business model is built around selling a "canvas" that its new owner can "paint" to their preferences. Some like contemporary art and some like traditional. These bike's are specifically designed to built up to their new owner's desires. For some, that simply means starting with a basic bike and adding a few nice touches of chrome. For other's its a matter of taking a simple bike and making it more powerful. For still others its a matter of taking the top of the line SE Ultra, adding a few cosmetic touches to meet the owner's idea of esthetics plus making it more powerful. That's me.

I find 77hp/100tq to be entirely unacceptable for a bike of this caliber. Particularly for a "touring" bike. Sounds like your riding style is perfectly matched to this level of milktoast performance, but mine is not.

With all due respect, many of the guy's I ride with have touring bike's. A good number have their tourpaks made detachable. And several have made their bike's more powerful. In fact there are entire threads on this forum highlighting the many guys that have made their Ultra tourpaks detachable. Why drag all that weight around for a 4 -5hr day trip if you don't have to? And how convenient is it to simply reattach the TP for that overnight trip you take several times a year. Seems to make perfect sense to me as well as the many guys that have made their TPs detachable. And exactly why do you think the MoCo sells a detach kit for the Ultra?...to make their bikes "soulless"?...come on.

There are entire threads discussing how to make your SE 110 more powerful for the guy that prefers that riding style. I'm hardly the first to make his SE Ultra into a more powerful motorcycle and I certainly won't be the last. And clearly the MoCo caters to this type of owner with a separate performance catalog dedicated to making their bike's more powerful and nowhere in that catalog did I read a footnote suggesting those performance parts can be installed on all their bikes EXCEPT their Ultras which have a special "soul" that shouldn't be tampered with.

To be very frank, if anyone is riding the wrong bike, it sounds like you. Sounds like the touring rig you described in your OP is a perfect description of a Honda Gold Wing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:51:58 AM by Heatwave »

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2009, 09:51:35 AM »

The front lowering kit you linked to says its only for '06-'08 touring bikes. Can't seem to find a kit for the '09+ bikes.

Check link below....

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448768441&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309149264&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309149264&bmUID=1251640113867&bmLocale=en_US

if it will not post, PN 54564-09
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 25 queries.