Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Fram Oil Filter  (Read 19658 times)

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
Re: Fram Oil Filter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 10:45:06 PM »

IMO
There are 3 very good filters available for our HD's. The HD filter, K&N and the Amsoil filter.
They all meet HD specs and use synthetic media to filter out the bad stuff.
Don't get to hung up on micron ratings. The testing is very subjective.

Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 11:09:12 PM »

H-D claims the "Super Premium" filter is rated at 5 microns, and MSRP for a chrome one is supposed to be $13.95.  The previous version, introduced along with the Twin Cam engines, was rated at 10 microns.  I believe the older version used on the EVO's was rated in the 30 micron range.

Before anyone gets all excited about how great a smaller micron rating is, they need to spend some time researching how that rating is achieved.  A 5 micron rating does not mean the filter will stop any and all particles equal to or larger than 5 microns in size.  And the more important spec that doesn't get advertised is the bypass setting.  When the pressure drop across the filter (difference from the intake side to the outlet side) reaches a certain point, the filter bypasses the oil to protect the engine from reduced oil flow.  I know the 10 micron version of the Harley filter had a pretty low bypass pressure, which meant it was bypassing the filter on a regular basis.  I haven't seen any test results for the 5 micron version.

One very good point has already been made here, and it is a good one to think about whenever folks start reading advertisements for supposedly superior products for your Harley, or your car/truck, etc.  Yes, there will always be supposedly superior products available from the aftermarket, and some will in fact be superior.  The question becomes, do you really need something better than what you have, or are you just wasting money?  Just because a certain product was used to set a world speed record at Bonneville, for instance, doesn't mean it will prove to be of any value to a street bike.  And while you might find some disparaging remarks these days in various forums about just about any product on the market, I really think if Fram was as bad as a couple of the reports I've read on-line make them out to be, they would not have the biggest chunk of the filter market.  In fact, if they were as bad as some of the "reports" I've read, they would be out of business by now from paying for engine failures and lawsuits.  Last time I checked, they were still in business and going strong.

If your Harley dealer is sticking you for more than the $13.95 MSRP for the chrome filter, you need to stop going to that particular place.  There are way too many alternative sources available these days for you to accept price gouging from your local dealer.  One suggestion; buy a case from one of the 20% off dealers, or try one of the internet sites that sells H-D stuff at a discount.  Or do like I do and buy a half dozen K&N's at a time when you find a good deal on the 'net.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 12:41:11 AM »

Incoltz, I asked my HD parts guy about a K&N oil filter for my 09SEUC and he said part no. KN-171C would work. However, I don't know what microns the K&N is. I was wondering if anyone knows. The reason I asked about it was because it has the nut attached to the end for easier removal. CAHDBIKER
K&N oil filters are rated at 5 microns. Yes Champion does make filters for HD, I just saw the add in the magazine and thought it might be interesting to check out. If it has the same standards as the HD but is only 10 bucks instead of 15 why not buy it. But it sounds like it's an sub oil filter and not worth the savings. Would never do anything to sacrafice my engine just to save a couple of bucks. That being said I also do not want to pay a 3rd more for the same product I can purchase elsewhere.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 07:36:25 AM »

Then a 5 micron would filter more, but be more restrictive on oil flow, so bypass more, which means more crap in the oil, rather than the filter.

FWIW, I have heard that the fram filters were inferior, not because of their micron rating, but because the filter media has a tendency to break down and end up in the oil.

Quote from article:

Oil Filters come basically in three qualities. Very good, with excellent filtration; normal; and really incredibly bad. This last category, really incredibly bad, should obviously be avoided. Accordingly, never use a Fram, Pennzoil, Penske, Castrol, or Quaker State oil filter in any motor you like. All of these filters are made by Fram. The filter element itself is a normal paper element, and probably no better or worse than anyone else's paper element. However, the end caps on the filter element are made of cardboard in these filters. There are numerous stories of these cardboard end caps getting saturated with oil and coming apart, putting little cardboard fragments directly into the oil flow into your engine bearings. As they say in GhostBusters, this "would be bad." Personally, I don't consider cardboard a suitable material for my engine internals. In the interests of fairness, below I reproduce a letter from Fram to me.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:38:34 AM by 49445CVO »
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 07:44:43 AM »

So with the millions of Fram filters used every year, why do we not hear of any problems?  Anybody ever see cardboard bits floating around in their oil?  People trying to sell you something can point to anything another company makes and say theirs is better, but if it doesn't matter - it doesn't matter.  I can put a higher grade bolt on something, but if the lower grade works 100% of the time what's the purpose?  People put way too much emphasis on oil and filters.  The latest HD engines have a lot worse things to be worried about.   Use what you want.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 08:17:47 AM »

So with the millions of Fram filters used every year, why do we not hear of any problems?  Anybody ever see cardboard bits floating around in their oil?  People trying to sell you something can point to anything another company makes and say theirs is better, but if it doesn't matter - it doesn't matter.  I can put a higher grade bolt on something, but if the lower grade works 100% of the time what's the purpose?  People put way too much emphasis on oil and filters.  The latest HD engines have a lot worse things to be worried about.   Use what you want.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 08:28:22 AM »

Steve FLHTK, In the Harley catalogue on page 784 they say that their superpremium oil filter (part no. 63798-99A )is rated at 5 microns, and that it can be substituted as an upgrade for several other of their oil filters one of them being  63796-77A , which is what I use on my EVO style S&S engine. I am going to ask my HD mechanic about that. CAHDBIKER

That's correct, the five micron is for EVO's not for TC's.

Craig

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »

There is no way anyone will convince me that all oil and filters are the same...anymore than an inferior grade bolt will work 100% of the time.  Oil filter and oil quality may not mean much to those who can afford to trade in their bikes every couple of years, but if you want something to last, you have to use "quality" oil and filters.  I'm sure there are many people out there who wished they had.  And as far as using inferior grade bolts; that has cost more than a couple of lives.  Sure, they may work for a while, but who knows when or where they are going to fail?  You have to use the right grade bolt for the right application.  It's the same with oil/filters/tires, etc.  And that doesn't mean that better is necessarily more expensive either.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 01:08:53 PM »

I think I'll build a canister for standard coffee filters.
I figure if those are good enough to filter out coffee grounds, they'd be good enough for my oil!!!
 ;D
HOGMIKE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 04:50:03 PM »

That's correct, the five micron is for EVO's not for TC's.

Craig

I think that should be the other way around Craig, the 5 micron is for TC's.

Jerry

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 06:46:55 PM »

Just a word of caution to those of us looking to find "cheaper" ways to change our oil.  I know we all hate having to spend $60 or more just to change our motorcycle oil.  And the more we ride, the more frequently we have to spend that money.  I've done some research lately on this subject and I've found that you have to be REALLY careful about what oil and filters you use.  I've found that Harley definitely does not make the best filters or oil either for that matter.  There are better products out there.  You may want to do some of your own research on this subject.  You can start here if you want...http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

I've found that Amsoil and Mobil 1 both are better oils and that you should NEVER use FRAM products on ANY of your vehicles.  We have all been brainwashed by vehicle manufacturers (both car & motorcycle) regarding our maintenance products.  If you spend some time researching this subject, I think you will find that there are  cheaper, BETTER alternatives.  I hope this helps...

Great article, thanks for sharing   :2vrolijk_21:
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 08:04:05 PM »

You're welcom. I'm glad you found it helpful...

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 08:14:14 PM »

Quote from article:

Oil Filters come basically in three qualities. Very good, with excellent filtration; normal; and really incredibly bad. This last category, really incredibly bad, should obviously be avoided. Accordingly, never use a Fram, Pennzoil, Penske, Castrol, or Quaker State oil filter in any motor you like. All of these filters are made by Fram. The filter element itself is a normal paper element, and probably no better or worse than anyone else's paper element. However, the end caps on the filter element are made of cardboard in these filters. There are numerous stories of these cardboard end caps getting saturated with oil and coming apart, putting little cardboard fragments directly into the oil flow into your engine bearings. As they say in GhostBusters, this "would be bad." Personally, I don't consider cardboard a suitable material for my engine internals. In the interests of fairness, below I reproduce a letter from Fram to me.

He speaks the truth! Having cut one open and looked at the construction method, I would never skimp on the oil filter. You can get a chrome Wix (NAPA) Filter that is well constructed, I personally use K&N, very highly rated, uses a consistant bypass spring. If I can locate the article/test on different motorcycle filters, I'll post it.....
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 11:39:06 PM »

While trying to avoid overstating the obvious, consider this: Micron ratings are important, as mentioned multiple times in this thread, and they are not to be ignored. But, three other vital factors include: Quality and consistancy of the bypass spring; Durability and fiber content of the filtering element; Total surface area of the filtering element.

I purchased a filter cutting tool from a Caterpillar dealer in 1984. Routine use of this tool, combined with a clean utility knife, a clean shop towel, a vise and 30X jewelers loupe will reveal everything you have been missing.

1. Place used filter in vise, gasket up
2. Use filter cutting tool to remove top, gasket end
3. Remove filter from vise and invert, separating the filtering element and spring from the canister (Bypass spring resides against end of canister opposite of gasket) Many, "Economy" filters use no spring at all, substituting a non-forgiving piece of stamped steel.   :nervous:
4. Using clean utility knife, cut and remove a 3"x3" or larger section of the element
5. Wrap a clean shop towel around the compressed folds of the element
6. Place folded towel and element in vise
7. Tighten vise to remove excess oil from element (Shop towel absorbs excess oil)
8. Unfold element
9. Insert jewelers loupe (In GOOD eye)
10. Fan out and examine surface area of filtering element and the various particles trapped therein 
< Many, many particles too numerous to mention in a high quality filter >  Passing a magnet over these particles will separate the tin overlay, steel, etc., from other materials left behind.

Enjoy,
Charlie
Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »

I see the subject of filters came up here, so I just want to pass along an
article a friend sent me from his Goldwing chat room. He is a filtration
engineer with a large filtration company. They make filters for most of the gas & oil industry.
They also make MOST of the Cat engine filters. By the way he said Cat has
a lot of their filters made in China now. Anyway its a good LONG read, you judge.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html
The "TAZMUN"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.