Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Starter problems  (Read 6783 times)

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
Re: Starter problems
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 11:24:33 AM »

I haven't seen your answer to the above question yet. The kill (on/off) switch is the switch on the right handlebar just next to the starter switch and trying to start the bike with the kill switch turned off has probably happened to all of us. You will know if the kill switch is on when you turn the main ignition switch on because the fuel system relay will make a humming noise for a few seconds.

Sorry, Yes I made sure the on/off switch was on. When on you can hear the other electrical systems come on.

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 11:47:34 AM »

Well I used a jumper and the starter is ok. So now to figure out where the dead spot is?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 12:19:20 PM »

There is a green wire going to the starter solenoid. This wire should have 12 volts when you hit the start button. you should also be able to here the starter relay click when you push the start button.

Is the alarm on? This will keep the starter from engaging as well.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 02:22:09 PM »

Well I used a jumper and the starter is ok. So now to figure out where the dead spot is?

You've still made progress.  You know more things it isn't and you know the most expensive potential part isn't the problem. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 02:23:23 PM »

don't know much about HD electrical yet but do they use fused links in their wiring to critical hot spots like the automakers do?

Maybe one of the heavy gauge wires to the starter has an internal break in it, if it is a fused link should be a replacement part for it.

Also might have fried the solenoid, internal wiring, or got it stuck if it is not clicking. Did you try "gently" tapping on solenoid if it is stuck?  good luck!

Unless they've started using them on very recent models the answer previously has been no.  No fusible links in the HD harnesses.

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »

I spent the day checking everything and was unable to find the problem. The switches seem to be ok. It seems like maybe the alarm is not letting it start but the alarm is disableing like it should. I am at an impass. I may end up having to take it to the dealer, yikes!

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 08:41:50 PM »

is the security fob close enough to the bike when you try to start it, also the battery in the fob could be dead.

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 09:22:27 PM »

is the security fob close enough to the bike when you try to start it, also the battery in the fob could be dead.

I have 2 fobs and have used them both. Th e fobs are not the problem. Thanks for the input.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 10:04:17 PM »

Any chance your bike thinks it is in gear?   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 10:08:40 PM »

Any chance your bike thinks it is in gear?   :nixweiss:

I tried it pulling in the clutch.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 09:34:06 AM »

:nixweiss:

There are (jumpers) and there are (other jumpers)...........I think you mean you "jump started" the bike via (cables hooked to another car battery or other battery).

If so,  I'd take another hard look and the bike battery and is it good or not??  Has it been (load tested)?

On the other hand maybe you were talking about a "jumper wire"  used to detour around other wires as a test.

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 09:45:46 AM »

:nixweiss:

There are (jumpers) and there are (other jumpers)...........I think you mean you "jump started" the bike via (cables hooked to another car battery or other battery).

If so,  I'd take another hard look and the bike battery and is it good or not??  Has it been (load tested)?

On the other hand maybe you were talking about a "jumper wire"  used to detour around other wires as a test.

I used a jumper wire from the hot post on top of the starter to the connector on the bottom of the starter and it starts great. I don't hear the starter solenoid click when I push the starter button. However, I can jump the wires at the starter solenoid and make it turn over. I checked the starter switch and it seems to be alright. I wonder about the alarm brain. (for lack of a better word)

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »

The conclusion to my problem is very strange. I finally gave up and jumped it and rode it to the dealership. When I got there I plugged the green wire back into the bottom of the starter and for kicks tried to start it and nothing, still dead. Today the dealership calls me and says it starts every time, no problem found. Needless to say I am very happy it did not cost me anything at the dealership. I wish I knew what was going on. I just hope this does not happen again in the future.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 09:09:28 PM »

The conclusion to my problem is very strange. I finally gave up and jumped it and rode it to the dealership. When I got there I plugged the green wire back into the bottom of the starter and for kicks tried to start it and nothing, still dead. Today the dealership calls me and says it starts every time, no problem found. Needless to say I am very happy it did not cost me anything at the dealership. I wish I knew what was going on. I just hope this does not happen again in the future.

Ok, assuming they're not full of chit there is one potential explanation that actually has the benefit of being possible.  And it's still the starter.  Could have a dead spot in the armature.  Remember, the starter is just an electric motor.  If it happens to stop with an open in a place where it can't be open to work again the next time it won't work.

Bad spot in the contacts in the solenoid could potentially do this also.  The thing moving just a bit would be enough to make it work.

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 08:53:54 AM »

Ok, assuming they're not full of chit there is one potential explanation that actually has the benefit of being possible.  And it's still the starter.  Could have a dead spot in the armature.  Remember, the starter is just an electric motor.  If it happens to stop with an open in a place where it can't be open to work again the next time it won't work.

Bad spot in the contacts in the solenoid could potentially do this also.  The thing moving just a bit would be enough to make it work.

Yes, makes sense but when this first happened I could make the starter work by jumping it from the hot post to the connector at the bottom. I did this several time during the time I was trying to fix it. I guess I will probably never know.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 25 queries.