Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: HD Extended Warranty  (Read 7034 times)

nsrider

• Junior CVO Member
HD Extended Warranty
« on: February 20, 2006, 06:53:03 AM »

I'm at the point where my factory warranty runs out in April & I am not all that handy around the garage ( think Tim the Toolman). My dealer has offered the extended warranty at the same price as if I bought it when I got the bike, i.e he will waive the $225 you are supposed to pay if you buy it after 90 days. Has anyone had any experience with the extended warranty ? My service manager told me that the cam tensioners would be covered and given the problems they've had with those I'm thinking that alone might make it worthwhile, not to mention the tire coverage which I could have used in the past. An thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

Thanks

nsrider

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
Re: HD Extended Warranty
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 08:17:59 AM »

Hi there nsrider - how is it in New Scotland?

I'm from the old one...

I am also interested in the extended warranty - my 2 years is up in November, so no rush, but I want to find out what the deal is.

I already spoke with my dealer and they offer a choice between the HD extended warranty or an aftermarket warranty which they claim is better (prob get a bigger kick-back - Ooops did I say that?) but until I get into the fine print I won't know which is better for me.

Assuming I get some decent mileage done this summer (the bike is new to me from last November) this 05 SEEG looks like a keeper so it makes sense to go with the extended.

I already had the front wheel changed (peeling chrome) without a problem but I don't know if that kind of thing continues to be covered under either the HD or aftermarket warranties

As I said, I will watch with interest and hopefully we will get some feedback and guidance from others based on their experiences.

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 09:34:36 AM »

i moved this to General to get it some more visibility
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:40:42 AM »

I'm in the same situation. I just know I have never received any benefit from any extended warranty I've ever purchased. That being said, I do plan on my banana being a keeper so I am very interested in the feedback you get on this topic. Good post, thanks. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 10:34:12 AM »

I bought the warranty on the 05 SEEG just because I knew I was going to keep this one for a while.  I have never needed it,  but have several friends who have had it and used it on several occasions (mostly depends how much you ride).  Spiderman just has $1500 worth of work done on his bike,  all covered........my opinion is not bad insurance....like if that stupid cam tensioner goes south and destroys your whole motor......let the MoCo pay for it...........JMHO

_Beagle [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=cherry.gif]
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 11:33:54 AM »

Hey Beags we're not buyin parts on this thread we can quote real numbers The warranty tab was well on the high side of 2k.  ;D
I'm one of those people that chit happens to. I would not think of not purchasing an extended warranty. It is money in the bank when - -  well when chit happens. Also, it is transferrable which is a selling point on a private sale and you get a refund of a percentage ( very generous in my opinion) if your bike is stolen, totaled or sold and you don't transfer. Just makes sense to me, but to each his own. You ask my advice, I say never buy a bike without one. I am sure there's a ton of people who see themselves far wiser than me that would give you the opposite advice.  ;)

Big B

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 12:38:44 PM »

I did not purchase extended warranty when I got my '06 Screamin Eagle Ultra.  But I most definitely will buy it before the factory warranty is up.  Had it on my '99 Ultra and it more than paid for itself.  Set of cases, cruise motor (twice), stator & regulator, cam chain tensioners and probably other items I can't remember.  Bud of mine rides very hard and has recently gotten new swing arm, neck bearings, tranny rebuild and many other repairs all covered by extended warranty on his '01 SE Road Glide.  If it's a keeper I'd get it for sure. [smiley=banana.gif]  

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 05:51:59 PM »

I bought the extended warranty when I bought my bike.  Then 2 months later I did 6 large in performance work to it (ported heads, roller rockers, 50mm throttlebody, pipes, the works) and I still think the warranty is worth it.  Even though some of those parts may cause warranty issues, the overall value is more than made up if metal flakes start showing up in the oil or primary inspection or their are electrical issues or any of a hundred issues I've read other CVO members have had.  

Better to buy the warranty and never use it than not and have a $2000 repair bill on it if it ever breaks on you.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 06:56:31 PM »

When I got my lil banana I bought full extended warranty. I called Chicago Harley and got price from them after JCZ let me know you can purchase anywhere. I then told my dealer I would love to get thru them if they can match CHD, They actually beat them by $5. I believe I paid $1045 with tire coverage too. So, if your looking it may pay to shop around and then see if your dealer will match. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 07:00:23 PM »

Copied from another thread - am I allowed to do that? - well I guess I just did...

Well my headlite assembly
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 02:59:50 AM »

« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 03:03:58 AM by iselbulls »

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 07:23:12 AM »

I have never been a believer in extended warrenty until I bought my 99 FXDWG.  I had a long drawn out ignition problem, and then the dreaded rear cam bearing failure.  I got the 7 year on the cherry.  Just too may electronics on this bike, not willing to take the gamble.  Just my two cents.
Scrrem

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 07:34:22 AM »

I'll have to agree with the majority here. I too purchased the 7-year extended warranty on my "Pumpkin". Have had extended warranties on previous vehicles and they have always paid off. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 07:44:08 AM »

IMHO - "Extended warranties" (actually service contracts) are not much different than playing the lottery.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 08:05:42 AM »

.......[highlight]With the thousands of dollars I've saved over the years, I figure if something does go wrong on the SEEG I'll just tap those savings and fix the sucker.
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.