Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: My 110 is DOA  (Read 25037 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
My 110 is DOA
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:26:11 AM »

Went for a ride yesterday and after about 80 miles I pulled up to a stop sign and the engine died.  Pulled the clutch in, hit the starter button and it fired back up.  Pulled away from the stop sign and while going through third gear it died again for a couple of seconds and fired back up on its on.  Made a right turn and while going through the gears I noticed that the engine was loosing power.  Checked the gauges and oil pressure was about a 1/16 inch from zero!  Oh chit!

Shut it down and pulled over.  Checked the oil and none on the dip stick!  Not good....

No oil leaks, no oil in the pipes or on the rear of bike.  My buddy that was following me said it wasn't smoking.  Pulled the plugs and they looked normal, medium/light shade of gray, no oil.

My friend went back and picked up some oil.  Added almost two quarts and fired it back up.  Still very little oil pressure and SLOW to build up RPM's.  Usually the oil pressure needle is at or a little past the 12 o'clock position at higher RPM's, now about 1/8 inch above 0.

Called my tech and he was there to trailer the bike back within an hour!

My 110 has 44k miles.  Never had to add more that 1/4 quart of oil between changes.  Me being the dumb azz that I am, I didn't check the oil before leaving!

Since it was late Truck (my tech), said he would start checking it out today.  I asked him if he had and ideas what the problem was.  Said he really wasn't sure since it wasn't leaking or burning oil.  He said one POSSIBLE problem is the seal on the primary side is bad and the pressure in the engine case is pushing the oil into the primary.  Enough excess oil in the primary and in theory it could cause a hydraulic lock in the primary and keep the engine from revving up.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Kind of ironic, a local dealer called me last week and has a 11 CVO Ultra on the show room.  Went down to check it out and they had a $40699 price tag on it!  I told the salesman I was out.  He told me to make an offer.  I did, $36000.  I figure that would be the end.  The sales manager called me back later that day and said he would take the $36499 (MSRP) plus sales tax.  No freight, prep or doc fees.

Maybe its time for a new bike!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:32:47 AM by 07hd110 »

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
Re: My 110 is DOA
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »

could have ran through the seal into the primary. you should have noticed it was hard to find neutral.
could be sumping also.

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »

Would be looking at the cam chest first, oil pump and runout of the crank

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:12:18 PM »

Would be looking at the cam chest first, oil pump and runout of the crank
Yep....sounds like the engine is wet sumped, broken oil pump is the most likely cause.

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »

Those were the exact symptoms I had when I lost my 06 103.  The inner rear cam bearing came apart and spread all the needles through the motor, destroyed the oil pump (and everything else).  The thing that actually made it quit running was the crank position sensor, it had been hit numerous times with metal debris being circulated through the motor.

For me it was a complete new motor, extended warranty covered it completely at $9600.

Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 01:08:22 PM »

Those were the exact symptoms I had when I lost my 06 103.  The inner rear cam bearing came apart and spread all the needles through the motor, destroyed the oil pump (and everything else).   The thing that actually made it quit running was the crank position sensor, it had been hit numerous times with metal debris being circulated through the motor.

For me it was a complete new motor, extended warranty covered it completely at $9600.

Well, just got the bad news.  Same thing happend to mine.   Inner cam bearing exploded and dumped pieces of bearing/cage into the case!

Decision time!  Do I get it rebuilt?  Put another motor in?  Mabey the 120R or something else?  Or trade it as is on a new one....

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »

Well, just got the bad news.  Same thing happend to mine.   Inner cam bearing exploded and dumped pieces of bearing/cage into the case!

Decision time!  Do I get it rebuilt?  Put another motor in?  Mabey the 120R or something else?  Or trade it as is on a new one....
Rebuild it ,or put the 120R in it. unless you want to deal with the   :soapbox: TBW :soapbox:

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 01:37:57 PM »

Let me see if I've got the facts of this thread correct. Your bike was down a little over two quarts of oil and none of it leaked out of the bike nor was burned off so the assumption is that it made it's way into the primary case via a bad mainshaft seal ? Ok, somebody tell me how far up the primary case one qt of oil puts you ? about 1/2 way. So just as a guess, that would make the total liquid capacity of the primary case somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 qts give or take. You're saying that you've got the 28oz your new late model H-D is supposed to have in the primary case PLUS another 2 qts ? Sorry, just can't see that as being in the realm of possibility even though I can believe you've got bad oil seals in your engine. As to the issue of excess oil robbing your bike of power ? Absolutely. Most old time techs still say you only need 1 qt of oil in your primary. Not sure how H-D came up with adding another 4 ozs a few years back, but it makes no sense. The chain in there is slinging oil around at such a rate a sit's hard to believe that everything isn't oil soaked so long as the level of oil is above the bottom of the primary chain. If the primary were full of oil the chain, rotor and clutch hub would indeed be fighting the excess, but not so badly I would think that it would stall the bike. Maybe, but that scenario sounds dubious.

B B

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 01:53:13 PM »

Went for a ride yesterday and after about 80 miles I pulled up to a stop sign and the engine died.  Pulled the clutch in, hit the starter button and it fired back up.  Pulled away from the stop sign and while going through third gear it died again for a couple of seconds and fired back up on its on.  Made a right turn and while going through the gears I noticed that the engine was loosing power.  Checked the gauges and oil pressure was about a 1/16 inch from zero!  Oh chit!

Shut it down and pulled over.  Checked the oil and none on the dip stick!  Not good....

No oil leaks, no oil in the pipes or on the rear of bike.  My buddy that was following me said it wasn't smoking.  Pulled the plugs and they looked normal, medium/light shade of gray, no oil.

My friend went back and picked up some oil.  Added almost two quarts and fired it back up.  Still very little oil pressure and SLOW to build up RPM's.  Usually the oil pressure needle is at or a little past the 12 o'clock position at higher RPM's, now about 1/8 inch above 0.

Called my tech and he was there to trailer the bike back within an hour!

My 110 has 44k miles.  Never had to add more that 1/4 quart of oil between changes.  Me being the dumb azz that I am, I didn't check the oil before leaving!

Since it was late Truck (my tech), said he would start checking it out today.  I asked him if he had and ideas what the problem was.  Said he really wasn't sure since it wasn't leaking or burning oil.  He said one POSSIBLE problem is the seal on the primary side is bad and the pressure in the engine case is pushing the oil into the primary.  Enough excess oil in the primary and in theory it could cause a hydraulic lock in the primary and keep the engine from revving up.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Kind of ironic, a local dealer called me last week and has a 11 CVO Ultra on the show room.  Went down to check it out and they had a $40699 price tag on it!  I told the salesman I was out.  He told me to make an offer.  I did, $36000.  I figure that would be the end.  The sales manager called me back later that day and said he would take the $36499 (MSRP) plus sales tax.  No freight, prep or doc fees.

Maybe its time for a new bike!

:2vrolijk_21:I vote new bike :2vrolijk_21:
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »

I take it your warranty is gone?    :nixweiss:

Myself, I'd put another motor in it...   :2vrolijk_21:

New one...nope...   :(
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 02:16:31 PM »

I take it your warranty is gone?    :nixweiss:

Myself, I'd put another motor in it...   :2vrolijk_21:

New one...nope...   :(

No warranty.
 :(

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »

PS
   I vote NO on the new bike. Talk about being an enabler. If everyone who has an issue with their H-D simply dumps it off and buys a new one what kind of message does that send to the MoCo ? Or maybe I'm the dumbass here and this has been their plan all along IE: build a product that lasts for 40+thousand miles and when it breaks, sell the customer a new one. Am I the only one hearing the Wiffenpoof song playing in the background ?

B B

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 02:19:56 PM »

A decison only you can make....if you really love this bike, then fix it and move on with life. Then you know you have a new--and hopefully--worry free motor.

On the other hand--if you have been itching for a new one, here is your excuse.

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 02:22:54 PM »

PS
   I vote NO on the new bike. Talk about being an enabler. If everyone who has an issue with their H-D simply dumps it off and buys a new one what kind of message does that send to the MoCo ? Or maybe I'm the dumbass here and this has been their plan all along IE: build a product that lasts for 40+thousand miles and when it breaks, sell the customer a new one. Am I the only one hearing the Wiffenpoof song playing in the background ?

B B

You're right!  I'm buyin' a Wing!  Thanks for the advise!
 :2vrolijk_21:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »

Tommy, it's a no-brainer.  Time to schitt-can the thing for a new '11.  You get to a point with any vehicle where they start nickel-and-diming you and then it's time to move on.  You're there with the '07.  Today it's the motor, tomorrow it'll be time for a swingarm rebuild and the day after that the transmission's going to grenade itself.  You don't keep bikes this long anyway.  Treat yourself to a new ride.  (But tell the dealer you're sticking to your original offer.)

Besides, if you bought a Wing, you still wouldn't be able to keep up with the Concours! :)

Call ya after awhile!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 25 queries.