Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Legend Air Suspension  (Read 9656 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Legend Air Suspension
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »

I just got a new SERGU...some of you who know me from my previous SEUC days know that I had the Legends Air Ride on that bike, along with the Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 front end (front end was stock height, not lowered).  Most of you who know me, and for those who don't...I have at most a 29" inseam (actually, I think I'm shrinking, so it may be more like 28.5" now), so the SERGU presents some problems for me with the height.  I am currently basically on the balls of my feet when on the bike sitting still...this is OK during "normal" riding in traffic, etc, but I can see that it is going to be an issue when trying to back the bike up into a parking space, basement, etc, and/or when I encounter an off camber stop in traffic, driveways, etc.  I never had any real complaints with the Legends, other than I think the rebound damping could have been a bit better...from my understanding, they have improved this with the F-108 series.

Basically, here are my two choices as I see them:  Put the Legends on the rear of the new bike, where I KNOW I will be able to lower the rear of the bike 3" when I need to be totally flat footed, have some real leverage, and leave the front end at stock height (later getting the Traxxion AK-20's installed to stock height), OR take the bike to Traxxion Dynamics and get the AK-20's done on the front end, lowering the front 1", and putting the Bitubo 300mm (11.8") shocks on the rear, lowering the whole bike by an inch.  My concern, of course, is giving up the suspension travel by lowering the bike 1" overall, as I tend to ride rather agressively, particularly in the twisties, and 90% of the time I will have a passenger on board (130lbs), and SOME of the time, will be loaded with luggage as well.  The 1" lowering option will likely get my feet flat, but just barely, I think.  I do not want to mess with seat modifications at this point, as the new stock seat seems to be comfortable, but that remains to be seen over the long haul.  Removing/replacing foam, etc., would bugger up chances of selling the stock seat later, if I end up having to go with a Corbin, like I did on the SEUC.

All this chit is going to cost me an arm and a leg regardless of which way I go, but I already know that at some point I will HAVE to do something with the crappy stock suspension, though the front end does seem "better" on the RG than it did on the UC, I guess because there is less weight hanging on the forks, and I could probably get by for a while with the stock front end, but would have to do the Legends to feel comfortable walking the bike around.  Being on the balls of my feet with a 900 + lb motorcycle is a bit discomforting to me, particularly knowing that past a certain point, there's no way in hell I'm going to hold the bike up if it gets over a bit.  Suspension upgrades would be a lot cheaper than buying new bits and pieces of chrome or painted parts.... :nervous:

Thought and opinions are welcomed.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Legend Air Suspension
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »

You may want to check out Progressive Monotubes and their 940 shocks been hearing some good things about them and you might be able to do front/back of those for the same price you could get Legends. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »

Terry, I've got no complaints whatsoever with the 300mm Bitubos on my SEEG (and 1" lower AK-20s up front), but based on what you described, I think for you, the Legends are the only thing that will give you the adjustability you need for the various situations you mentioned. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 02:08:01 PM »

Thicker boots :nixweiss: ?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »

I'm with you Terry. I have the same shrinking inseam myself. Hope you find a good answer.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 02:29:03 PM »

Terry,

You may recall that I also have the Legend Air Suspension in the rear of my SEUC, and I have Traxxion fork cartridges up front - lowered 1".  I couldn't ask for a better ride - or fit for my 30" inseam.

That said, I have heard good things about the new Progressive Monotubes mentioned by d00d.  I've not experienced them myself, but those that have them seem to like them.

I have a set of Bitubo rear shocks on the FXR, and like them real well also...

So plenty of great options for you...  Just the tough decision ahead .
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Lkn4advtr

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 02:32:33 PM »

I put the ledgends on my 08SEUC and have a real hard time finding the correct pressure adjustment for a real good ride. what pressure are you guys running?
'Rollin down the highway, Lookin for adventure"

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »

I put the ledgends on my 08SEUC and have a real hard time finding the correct pressure adjustment for a real good ride. what pressure are you guys running?

When I had the Legends on my other bike, I really never paid any attention to the pressure (I didn't have a gauge anyhow), but just went more by feel...I'd just keep bumping the pressure up and down a little bit while riding until I found the "sweet spot" for any given road/load.  The adjustability "on the fly" is one thing I really liked about he Lengends.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 04:50:45 PM »

Thicker boots :nixweiss: ?

Don't want to look like something out of the 70's disco era, Don... :huepfenlol2:  Plus, I have a hard enough time standing up sometimes with normal soles, so I might fall off the platforms  ;)

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 05:09:29 PM »

Terry, I've got no complaints whatsoever with the 300mm Bitubos on my SEEG (and 1" lower AK-20s up front), but based on what you described, I think for you, the Legends are the only thing that will give you the adjustability you need for the various situations you mentioned. 

Just got back for a little ride to warm the motor up so I could dump the oil at 50 miles and put something better than the Syn 3 in it...It's been unusually cold here lately, but today is high 50's and tomorrow is going to be low 60's, so I wanted to get good oil in it for a nice ride tomorrow with Judi on the back for the first time... :nervous:  For now, just went with what they had down the street at the local auto parts store...Mobil 1 20w50.

Here's the deal...the new adjustable floorboards for the passenger seem to stick out a bit further, and even though I have them adjusted just one notch forward of vertical for Judi (she's only 5'2") to get her leg position right, they definitely get in the way more than they did on my SEUC, or maybe I just don't remember, or got used to the others.  At any rate, to feel totally comfortable, I think I need more than to just get my feet barely flat footed, which is what the 1" drop would do, I'm fairly certain.  It feels like I'm going to need more to be able to get my feet/legs out and down far enough to have any kind of real leverage to walk this beast around.  It's looking like the only real solution is going to be the Legends or something similar...I'll be contacting them Monday to talk with them about what, if any, improvements have been made to the shocks since '06, and to make sure the chrome switch for the handlebars can be mounted on the brake side instead of the clutch side, as the GPS mount is there now...I don't see why not, other than having to swap the connection around so the top button would pump them up and the bottom would bleed off.  Then there's always the matter of feeding the wires through the handlebars...I'm not sure how to get to the center bar hole on the RG...never seen one apart, and I don't have the service manuals yet.  Could always run them along the brake line for the few inches, at least temporarily.  Another group buy on the Legends?  ::)  Geez...now it all starts again....

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 06:40:32 PM »

Then there's always the matter of feeding the wires through the handlebars...I'm not sure how to get to the center bar hole on the RG...never seen one apart, and I don't have the service manuals yet.  Could always run them along the brake line for the few inches, at least temporarily.  Another group buy on the Legends?  ::)  Geez...now it all starts again....

Don't worry about the bars TC.  Easier dealing with bars on the SERG than it was on your SEUC.  Give a call when you're standing next to the bike.

hogasm

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 07:00:13 PM »

Doesn't Fat Baggers make a lowered seat height modification for the new frames

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 11:13:28 AM »

Yes they do Brian.  :2vrolijk_21: I believe it is a 3" drop.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 05:07:41 PM »

Terry - sounds like you are talking yourself into the Legends.
Just do it and be satisfied.

You're getting older -shorter - slower - fact of life, comes with age (as well as all the sore joints, creaks and groans).
Make the ride comfortable for "all the time" and slow down and enjoy.

Think about all the uneasy moments when you are not sure of your footing compared to the number of times that 1" might make a difference in the turns.

I vote for comfort.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »

After much research and hand wringing, I went ahead and bit the bullet on the newer Legend F-108C setup.  It maintains the stock 13" height when fully pumped up, but will get me down 3.5 inches when I need it, just like on the SEUC.  They'll be here sometime next week, and I'll be installing them myself, of course.  The compressor now mounts between the frame, rear of the transmission, so we'll see how the installation goes.  I also got the chrome handlebar switch...it will fit on the right side as well, so I'll be looking at internally wiring it through the handlebars (I think). :nervous:

Really, the Legends are the only thing out there that does what I really need them to do, and maintains the entire suspension travel when needed.  They have supposedly improved the damping characteristics a bit with different valving, so that will be a good thing.  That was really my only complaint about the Legends on the SEUC...they could be a little "bouncy" under certain road conditions.  The MAIN thing is that I will be able to get both feet flat on the pavement when needed, with a little leverage to boot.

Now, the front end...that's going to have to wait a bit.  Once you've had the Traxxion, it's hard to go with anything else.  Judi has a nephew in Cummings, GA, which is just a stone's throw from Woodstock, so a trip over there will be upcoming when the weather gets good and the coin is available... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 20 queries.