Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Legend Air Suspension  (Read 9629 times)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
Re: Legend Air Suspension
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 11:24:03 PM »

DJ, at least on the one bike I rode the biggest difference was wheel hop.  They both made nose dive in breaking better.  But the monotubes are almost as good as the Traxxion front end at keeping the front wheel on the ground all the time.  Because we're just used to it we don't quite realize how much the front wheel hops until it suddenly doesn't anymore.

That was the one area I immediately noticed better in the monotube equipped bike over the Ricor equipped bike.  Again, both better than stock. But wheel hop was better controlled on the monotube bike than it was on the Ricor equipped bike.

I agree with Don. I have Monotubes in the SESG2 and SERK4. Ricors in the SERKI. I've got several thousand miles on each as a comparision. The Ricors do help but the Monotubes are the better system. I got mine @ Phat Performance for around $260 w/ free shipping.

I have not experienced any clucking or bottoming out. I'm using the standard height version and notice no difference in height.

JW

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 11:30:15 PM »

Appreciate the responses guys.  Have been considering what to do for the front handling-wise.  Was also wondering about height issues with the
SEEGs since I think they are 1 inch shorter as they come stock (?)

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »

Appreciate the responses guys.  Have been considering what to do for the front handling-wise.  Was also wondering about height issues with the
SEEGs since I think they are 1 inch shorter as they come stock (?)

You are correct...they come 12" instead of the "normal" 13".  It's a matter of personal preference, and if you need the bike to be an inch shorter for your inseam, but personally, I don't like the idea of giving up any suspension travel on these bikes, as parts start to drag in the turns enough with the 13" height.  That's why, for me, the Legend shocks (or something equivalent) were the only viable alternative to get my feet flat on the pavement when necessary.  Back in '06 (might have been early '07), Don and I were the first two on this site to get the Traxxion front end work done, and at that time it was really the only thing out there like it, but with the Monotubes, it sounds like that will get you 80% of the function of the Traxxion at about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost.  Mind you, the Traxxion is probably still the very best option for the front end, but 80% is pretty damn close, and I can live with 80% as good.  For once, this site is going to actually save me some money....imagine that.   :huepfenlol2: :o  As Don mentioned, you really have no idea how much the front tire is hopping around on the pavement until you get something under you that is worth a crap...the difference is immediately apparent.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »

You are correct...they come 12" instead of the "normal" 13".  It's a matter of personal preference, and if you need the bike to be an inch shorter for your inseam, but personally, I don't like the idea of giving up any suspension travel on these bikes, as parts start to drag in the turns enough with the 13" height.  That's why, for me, the Legend shocks (or something equivalent) were the only viable alternative to get my feet flat on the pavement when necessary.  Back in '06 (might have been early '07), Don and I were the first two on this site to get the Traxxion front end work done, and at that time it was really the only thing out there like it, but with the Monotubes, it sounds like that will get you 80% of the function of the Traxxion at about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost.  Mind you, the Traxxion is probably still the very best option for the front end, but 80% is pretty damn close, and I can live with 80% as good.  For once, this site is going to actually save me some money....imagine that.   :huepfenlol2: :o  As Don mentioned, you really have no idea how much the front tire is hopping around on the pavement until you get something under you that is worth a crap...the difference is immediately apparent.
For once, this site is going to actually save me some money....imagine that.     LOL...now THAT is worth noting.   :2vrolijk_21:

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »

You are correct...they come 12" instead of the "normal" 13".  It's a matter of personal preference, and if you need the bike to be an inch shorter for your inseam, but personally, I don't like the idea of giving up any suspension travel on these bikes, as parts start to drag in the turns enough with the 13" height.  That's why, for me, the Legend shocks (or something equivalent) were the only viable alternative to get my feet flat on the pavement when necessary.  Back in '06 (might have been early '07), Don and I were the first two on this site to get the Traxxion front end work done, and at that time it was really the only thing out there like it, but with the Monotubes, it sounds like that will get you 80% of the function of the Traxxion at about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost.  Mind you, the Traxxion is probably still the very best option for the front end, but 80% is pretty damn close, and I can live with 80% as good.  For once, this site is going to actually save me some money....imagine that.    :huepfenlol2: :o  As Don mentioned, you really have no idea how much the front tire is hopping around on the pavement until you get something under you that is worth a crap...the difference is immediately apparent.

Hehehe... Good one, Terry!    :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

You of all folks should know you haven't saved any money...  You just left a bit in reserve for awhile, for the next upgrade that catches your eye!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »

Hey Terry......glad you made the decision you did on the Legends.  You and I are too short (and getting shorter ea. yr.) to mess around with these heavy dressers w/o the Legend.  Not the best suspension, but good enough when it gives you the adjustablility on the fly and in those parking lot deals.  (plus:  they look cool 'slammed' when at rest.) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:01 PM »

Hey Terry......glad you made the decision you did on the Legends.  You and I are too short (and getting shorter ea. yr.) to mess around with these heavy dressers w/o the Legend.  Not the best suspension, but good enough when it gives you the adjustablility on the fly and in those parking lot deals.  (plus:  they look cool 'slammed' when at rest.) har.  spyder

Yep, buddy...gettin' shorter every year, for sure.  I am happy with what I chose...I know it will work, and I really had no complaints about it the first go 'round.  Really looking forward to seeing you again, and introducing my new lady to you.  I have been fortunate in my lifetime, and got lucky again.   :drink: ;) :coolblue: :2vrolijk_21:  Even an old, blind pig can find a truffle on occasion...

Oh...and no doubt about the "cool" factor...nothing like a "slammed bike" when it's appropriate.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:22:01 PM by TCnBham »

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 02:04:17 PM »

Just a follow up on the Legend Air Rides on the SERGU.  We finally got to do some real riding yesterday...some interstate, some normal two lane highway, some twisties, and some bumpy chit.  Like my experiences on the '06 bike, you have to develop a "feel" for when you are in the "sweet spot" on these shocks.  I will say that they seem to have made a bit of a change in the shock with regards to bottoming out...not as harsh as the '06 version, but that only happens when I've got them lowered temporarily.  I still like the ability to adjust these things on the fly for different road conditions...it just takes a little while to figure out where they need to be for any given situation, but once dialed in, they work fine.  Again, I'd have to say that they are not the "best" shock on the market (that award would have to go to the Bitubos), but if you need to lower the bike due to being vertically challenged (in other words, you're a short f'er, or gettin' old...or both), it is a very good solution, and a very good shock.  On a scale of 1-10, I'd give 'em a solid 7/8 for performance, and a 10 for getting my a$$ closer to the ground when needed.  I'm sure the Aldan Arnott's are good as well, but these go about 1/2" lower, and for me, that was the decision maker to go with what I knew from past experience.  On a side note:  The Arnott "regular" air shocks...the Bilstien version...I think the air bladder on those expands as you fill them with air, which "could" be an issue for clearance on the saddlebags, though I don't know this for a fact.  The Legends bladder does NOT expand, as it is made from a Kevlar reinforced material.  The Aldan version does not have a visible bladder, so this would not be an issue with them.

I must say, however, that these new Ultras (either specie, RG or UC) are taller.  It must be a combination of the new seat design, and the fact that the bike seems "wider" to me than my '06, plus, the damned adjustable passenger floorboards kind of get in the way.  I guess if you had a long legged BSR, that wouldn't be a problem, as you could have them adjusted all the way down (everything vertical), but with a BSR who is 5'2", the boards are up and forward just enough to put them closer to my legs when my feet are on the ground.  Just something to get used to.

TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 02:43:32 PM »

adjustable passenger floorboards kind of get in the way.  I guess if you had a long legged BSR, that wouldn't be a problem, as you could have them adjusted all the way down (everything vertical), but with a BSR who is 5'2", the boards are up and forward just enough to put them closer to my legs when my feet are on the ground.  Just something to get used to.

For sure.  I noticed (and hated) that the first time I got on my '07 cuse.  Wifey has 'em down all the way and they sure poke my calves when I back up.  But I've pretty well gotten used to them by now and they don't bother much.  Just another accommodation you have to make!

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »

Just a follow up on the Legend Air Rides on the SERGU.  We finally got to do some real riding yesterday...some interstate, some normal two lane highway, some twisties, and some bumpy chit.  Like my experiences on the '06 bike, you have to develop a "feel" for when you are in the "sweet spot" on these shocks.  I will say that they seem to have made a bit of a change in the shock with regards to bottoming out...not as harsh as the '06 version, but that only happens when I've got them lowered temporarily.  I still like the ability to adjust these things on the fly for different road conditions...it just takes a little while to figure out where they need to be for any given situation, but once dialed in, they work fine. I must say, however, that these new Ultras (either specie, RG or UC) are taller.  It must be a combination of the new seat design, and the fact that the bike seems "wider" to me than my '06, plus, the damned adjustable passenger floorboards kind of get in the way. 
Glad they're working well for ya, TC.  The new frame is taller....you know these dressers have continued to grow larger & heavier since the beginning.  Seems that they won't be happy until they're same as a Wing.  har.  ;) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »

I'll have to look into that...I am hearing/reading good things about that system, and I'd really like to not spend all that money on the Traxxion, espeically since my Legends arrived yesterday afternoon.  I'll be installing them this week  :2vrolijk_21:

Look at the Works Performance - Fork Cartridges with Dual Rate Fork Springs.
I got those for my '11 SERGU and am quite happy so far.
http://www.worksperformance.com
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:32:48 PM by DesertHOG »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »

Just a follow up on the Legend Air Rides on the SERGU.  We finally got to do some real riding yesterday...some interstate, some normal two lane highway, some twisties, and some bumpy chit.  Like my experiences on the '06 bike, you have to develop a "feel" for when you are in the "sweet spot" on these shocks.  I will say that they seem to have made a bit of a change in the shock with regards to bottoming out...not as harsh as the '06 version, but that only happens when I've got them lowered temporarily.  I still like the ability to adjust these things on the fly for different road conditions...it just takes a little while to figure out where they need to be for any given situation, but once dialed in, they work fine.  Again, I'd have to say that they are not the "best" shock on the market (that award would have to go to the Bitubos), but if you need to lower the bike due to being vertically challenged (in other words, you're a short f'er, or gettin' old...or both), it is a very good solution, and a very good shock.  On a scale of 1-10, I'd give 'em a solid 7/8 for performance, and a 10 for getting my a$$ closer to the ground when needed.  I'm sure the Aldan Arnott's are good as well, but these go about 1/2" lower, and for me, that was the decision maker to go with what I knew from past experience.  On a side note:  The Arnott "regular" air shocks...the Bilstien version...I think the air bladder on those expands as you fill them with air, which "could" be an issue for clearance on the saddlebags, though I don't know this for a fact.  The Legends bladder does NOT expand, as it is made from a Kevlar reinforced material.  The Aldan version does not have a visible bladder, so this would not be an issue with them.

I must say, however, that these new Ultras (either specie, RG or UC) are taller.  It must be a combination of the new seat design, and the fact that the bike seems "wider" to me than my '06, plus, the damned adjustable passenger floorboards kind of get in the way.  I guess if you had a long legged BSR, that wouldn't be a problem, as you could have them adjusted all the way down (everything vertical), but with a BSR who is 5'2", the boards are up and forward just enough to put them closer to my legs when my feet are on the ground.  Just something to get used to.

Legend makes a nice air pressure gauge for the dash. I'm going to be removing my air temp gauge for this soon.  This should help with not having to "feel" for the right settings for various conditions.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 06:14:21 PM »

My only complaint with the legends is they pump up slow. But I found out you can order just the compressor from Arnott for about 90 bucks and it pump up faster and down faster. The legends used to come with a gauge but they quit including it just before I bought mine. My BSR just yells at me "more shocks" so I keep pushing the button. :huepfenlol2:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »

My only complaint with the legends is they pump up slow. But I found out you can order just the compressor from Arnott for about 90 bucks and it pump up faster and down faster. The legends used to come with a gauge but they quit including it just before I bought mine. My BSR just yells at me "more shocks" so I keep pushing the button. :huepfenlol2:
You need to get a cow-bell mounted so she can yell something else from time to time.   ;D  har.  spyder

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »

Legend makes a nice air pressure gauge for the dash. I'm going to be removing my air temp gauge for this soon.  This should help with not having to "feel" for the right settings for various conditions.

I've never heard a good report about the gauge working for very long...even the tech I talked to at Legend said it was pretty much a waste of money.  The gauge pretty much bounces around constantly when going down the road, so it wears out quickly.  It might be useful sitting still and getting them to a certain pressure though.  Let me know how it works for you if you decide to do it.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 20 queries.