Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Legend Air Suspension  (Read 9715 times)

hogasm

Re: Legend Air Suspension
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »

Now, the front end...that's going to have to wait a bit.  Once you've had the Traxxion, it's hard to go with anything else.  Judi has a nephew in Cummings, GA, which is just a stone's throw from Woodstock, so a trip over there will be upcoming when the weather gets good and the coin is available... :2vrolijk_21:

Once you have saved a ton of monies on the Progressive Monotubes and enjoyed the ride........it is hard to spend the monies on the Traxion.......spend it on some other bling :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »

Once you have saved a ton of monies on the Progressive Monotubes and enjoyed the ride........it is hard to spend the monies on the Traxion.......spend it on some other bling :2vrolijk_21:

I'll have to look into that...I am hearing/reading good things about that system, and I'd really like to not spend all that money on the Traxxion, espeically since my Legends arrived yesterday afternoon.  I'll be installing them this week  :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 12:29:07 PM »

I'll have to look into that...I am hearing/reading good things about that system, and I'd really like to not spend all that money on the Traxxion, espeically since my Legends arrived yesterday afternoon.  I'll be installing them this week  :2vrolijk_21:

Terry

I have three bikes with Monotubes and 1 bike with Traxxion.
On a scale of 1 to 10 with Harley stock being #3 and the best a #10, I rank the handling of the bikes as follows.

01 SERG w/13" 440's and monotubes                 7
03 Classic w/13" 440's and Traxxion                  7.5
05 SEEG w/11.5" 440's and monotubes              7
09 SEUC w/13" Aldan Arnott's and monotubes     8

My guess/estimate is a bike with the 09 frame or newer, bitubo's and Traxxion would be a 9.5 out of a 10 on my ranking scale.
IMO there would be nothing better than a new frame w/Traxxion/bitubo combination but out the door that's a $2,400.00 bill.
I strive for satisfaction, some strive for perfection.
For me, if I'm satisfied with my set up then it's perfect for me.
The three Screamin Eagles have monotubes and including installation I have less money in those three front ends than I have in the one equipped w/Traxxion.
On a new Harley after pipes, breather and tune I believe there is no bigger bang for the buck than a set of Progressive Monotubes.

SBB

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:34:27 PM by SBB »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »

That's the kind of information I'm looking for, Chip.  There is no doubt that the Traxxion front end is probably the "best" money can buy.  I particularly think it makes a huge difference on the older frames, but the new frames feel much different under me, and with the RG not having the fairing mounted to the fork, it's just a totally different feel.  Certainly, if I could get by with the Bitubos, I would have taken that route, but even lowering everything an inch would not make me feel as comfortable walking this big a$$ed bike around as will the Legends and being able to drop the bike a full 3" when necessary.  They are perhaps not the "best" shock on the market, but they have made some improvements with damping, etc, over when I had them on the '06 SEUC, and they were not bad then.  With my short legs, I just have to get the bike low, particularly since I will be riding 2 up 90% of the time.

Knowing how you ride, and you knowing how I ride, an endorsement for the Progressive Monotubes means a lot.  If I can get to an 8 out of 10 with them, I'll be satisfied with that.  I will definitely look into those after I get done mounting the Legends this week.  Then I can think about getting the motor cooler.  I'm getting older, and do NOT want loud pipes again, as I'd like to keep my hearing for a while longer, and the Rineharts used to make my ears ring after a full day of riding. So many new things have come out since I had to get rid of the '06, I'm still in the process of researching what I want to do.  I'm really very happy with the bike, got the extended warranty, so I'm just going to ride it and make HD fix it if it breaks.

I do appreciate your taking the time to better inform me about the front suspension.

TTS Mastertune

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 03:28:59 PM »

I do appreciate your taking the time to better inform me about the front suspension.

Let me throw this out also.
I think you and I had basically the same issue with the rear supension and took a different route to achieve the same goal.
The 09 SEUC with the new frame/wheel size and suspended (whatever the hell that means) seat is a tall bike.
Just like you I have more in the rear suspension than a  new set of Bitubo's cost.
But as good as the Bitubo's are there is no adjustment on the fly.
The Aldan Arnott's adjust between 10.5" to 13" and on a tall bike in certain conditions 10.5" is a life/bike saver.
The adjustment feature is why I have those rear shocks.

In my previous post I hope I didn't come across as negative on the Traxxion front end, that wasn't my intention.
For me the Traxxion is the ultimate in total front end handling upgrades.
When your looking for the most for the least the monotubes are IMO the best bang for the buck in front suspension upgrades.
Good luck and keep us informed on what you decide.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 08:45:28 PM »

Got the Legends installed today...it's too cold to ride, so it was a good day to work on the bike in the basement.  With the ABS, the compressor is now on a plate that fits between the frame rails underneath the bike, between the bottom of the motor and the bottom of the tranny.  Not used to these newer bikes...it's harder to get to some things, like the battery posts, etc.  Installing the handlebar switch was a pain...there isn't room under the tank to just fish the wire like on the '06 SEUC, and I don't have the service manuals yet, so I ran the wire down the brake line, into the instrument housing, then under the tank console for the time being.  There's a lot more chit packed on top of the battery, and under the right side cover, so it makes routing things a bit more time consuming, but I got it done.  Everything is working, and being able to drop the bike 3" is a HUGE difference in how my feet are on the ground...much more confident now.

Once I get the manuals, I'll re-do the switch wiring and run it internally, but for now, this will do fine.  It's supposed to warm up into the low 60's by Sunday, so we'll get to check 'em out fully then.  Next, the whole bike is going to get a good bath and Glared from top to bottom.

I can say one thing...the locking saddlebags are neat, but disconnecting the wiring to get them off is a bitch, but I'm sure I'll get used to it with some practice.

After the manuals get here, it looks like I'll be doing the Monotubes...just can't afford the Traxxion at this point, and it sounds like these are a decent alternative for a LOT less money.

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 08:54:04 PM »

After the manuals get here, it looks like I'll be doing the Monotubes...just can't afford the Traxxion at this point, and it sounds like these are a decent alternative for a LOT less money.

Terry, strictly for what it's worth, I've come to the same conclusion.  Have had the Traxxion setup on the red bike for however long that's been now.  It is better than the Monotubes on the Road Glide.  But only barely.  The monotubes are a perfectly satisfactory option.  For the price difference it's hard to justify the TD unless you just absolutly want the best option and cost be damned.  I did the Monotubes in the Road Glide last year.  Satisfied enough with the choice after being able to make direct comparisons of the two that did the monotubes again in the legs that will go on the Road King project.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »

Terry, strictly for what it's worth, I've come to the same conclusion.  Have had the Traxxion setup on the red bike for however long that's been now.  It is better than the Monotubes on the Road Glide.  But only barely.  The monotubes are a perfectly satisfactory option.  For the price difference it's hard to justify the TD unless you just absolutly want the best option and cost be damned.  I did the Monotubes in the Road Glide last year.  Satisfied enough with the choice after being able to make direct comparisons of the two that did the monotubes again in the legs that will go on the Road King project.

Another confirmation...much appreciated.  Looks like this will be what goes on MY Red Bike   :huepfenlol2:

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 09:08:07 PM »

Another confirmation...much appreciated.  Looks like this will be what goes on MY Red Bike   :huepfenlol2:

The monotubes are a bolt in too.  That machining they did at Max's shop to prep our legs for the new guts isn't needed.  So it really is something you can right there in the basement some rainy weekend.

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »

Are the Ricor intiminators a viable option?  How do they stack up to the monotubes?

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 10:13:37 PM »

Are the Ricor intiminators a viable option?  How do they stack up to the monotubes?

Been on one bike with them installed.  An 07.  Like the Monotubes better.

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 10:17:56 PM »

Thanks 2lane, good to know.  Never have seen anywhere where they were compared.

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 10:22:39 PM »

Thanks 2lane, good to know.  Never have seen anywhere where they were compared.

Quite a few miles on the Traxxion Dynamics and Progressive Monotubes front ends.  And can spread the comparisons on each to bikes other than my own.  So pretty comfortable with those as comprisons. 

Only the one time on a bike with the Ricor option though.  Maybe a hundred miles.  So only limited experience there.  The difference was noticable and obvious though.  Both far better than stock.  But one definitely better than other within those bikes.

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 10:26:46 PM »

Sounds like the bit extra for the monotubes well worth the difference while your at it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 10:37:04 PM »

Sounds like the bit extra for the monotubes well worth the difference while your at it.

DJ, at least on the one bike I rode the biggest difference was wheel hop.  They both made nose dive in breaking better.  But the monotubes are almost as good as the Traxxion front end at keeping the front wheel on the ground all the time.  Because we're just used to it we don't quite realize how much the front wheel hops until it suddenly doesn't anymore.

That was the one area I immediately noticed better in the monotube equipped bike over the Ricor equipped bike.  Again, both better than stock.  But wheel hop was better controlled on the monotube bike than it was on the Ricor equipped bike.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 25 queries.