Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Headlight conversion on the ConV to 7"  (Read 8571 times)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Headlight conversion on the ConV to 7"
« on: April 19, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »

I finally got around to replacing the small OEM Headlight on our ConV

Here are some shots

Here is the old look...

...and here is the new...

It was a really easy modification. The wiring harness for the headlight is just under the left front corner of the tank so you will need to remove the console and unbolt the tank. Be sure to unclip the gas line. Simply slide the tank back a few inches and there is the plug.

Here is a list of parts needed for the job or you can just get a used headlight from a Heritage or Fatboy.

69748-05B   7" Headlamp Shell
68342-05     7" Headlamp Reflector Assy
68050-93A    Retaining Ring for Reflector Assy
67721-48     (3 needed) Ring screws... (Hint, start these self taping screws before installing the shell. It's hard to start them when on the bike and holding the reflector)
67768-97     Headlight mounting block (It's different from the ConV mount block)

I do not have a part number for the trim ring I used and there is another item you will need....  the trim ring screw !!  Darn thing is about 3 bucks do don't forget to order it with the other parts.

The price for these parts when I purchased them listed for just over 300.00 less tax.

harleybones33

Re: Headlight conversion on the ConV to 7"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:44:43 PM »

looks great Wiz, Does this headlight fit the stock windshield?

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »

Nope but we have no plans on using the stock fairing again.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »

Mr. Wizard, does that windshield mount on the same quick mount as the original shield? I might be rethinking my windshield change.

Thanks!!
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 10:13:11 AM »

Mr. Wizard, does that windshield mount on the same quick mount as the original shield? I might be rethinking my windshield change.

Thanks!!

The hardware is the same, same... if you purchase a new shield it will come with mounting hardware but you won't need it.

Here is a quote from a while back when we were all going nuts. The only trick is to gently twist/bend the bottom fork bracket on the shield a tiny bit to line up on the bottom grommets. You can do that with an adjustable wrench. It doesn't take but a light twist to make it go on smooth. It will go on without this alignment though.

The windshield will come ready to mount out of the box. Use this box to store the old fairing and shield. The new shield will come with a separate hardware pack that will have the (extra) bolts and bushings for installing on a virgin bike. Since the ConV already has these mounting bolts and bushings in place you don't need the hardware pack. Save this hardware pack in case you sell the windshield down the road. It will make it easier to sell if you ever decide to trade your ConV and put the stock shield back on.

When you get one Porky, be sure you get the right one. By that I mean, either the stock height or the low profile. Again, we have the low profile which has a smoke tint. Goldfar purchased the stock height and it's clear. There is a three inch height difference in the two shields.

58278-95 = low profile smoke tint

58243-95 = standard height clear

The low profile is more expensive than the standard by about 23 bucks.

Be sure to check out a nice windshield bag too. It will fit nicely and add to the new look. THIS ONE is the one wifey has. Clean lines and large chrome buckle. About 100 bucks retail.

:2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:16:03 AM by Mr. Wizard »

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:14:03 AM »

I have the same windshield on a 2010 and it mounts on the same mounts as the stock windshield.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »

So, if I'm reading this right............ you have the low profile / smoke tint and it looks like it is about 5-6" taller than the original ConV shield?

And so........ this definately looks better with the 7" HL, I didn't like the look before.

Thanks for the good info.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:17:25 AM »

So, if I'm reading this right............ you have the low profile / smoke tint and it looks like it is about 5-6" taller than the original ConV shield?

And so........ this definately looks better with the 7" HL, I didn't like the look before.

Thanks for the good info.

To be honest with you... It's been so long ago I don't remember if there was a height difference in the low tint and the stock ConV shield. We just knew the stock ConV shield had to go. Between the wind smacking the rider right in the face and chest and that look.. it looked like Buell shield. We also added the fork deflectors to remove the air from under the shield at hwy speeds. This worked wonderfully over 65 MPH, little to no helmet buffeting at all.

As far as eye height on the low tint. She is 5' 7" and put together rather lovely I may add. She has long legs but not to the extreme so she is average height from the seat of the pants up. When she sits on the ConV she will slump a bit to be comfortable. She then must look through the windshield but when she sits up straight the top of the shield cuts her eye line.  I'm 5' 11", 32 inseam. I look over the low tint no matter how I sit.

Wifey's goal was a CVO Heritage one day. Waiting on this, that may never happen, the ConV fit that bill with subtle differences such as no Aux lighting. With the 7" headlight the look is more of a Fatboy which was great for her as she really liked my 05 SEFB. That conversion will take about two hours only due to the sliding back of the tank which is easy. Just two bolts on the tank after lifting the console up and resting it on the bars to get it out of the way and uncliping the gas line.

The adjustment of the headlight is a little tricky. There is one bolt from the bottom that you use to release the entire headlight assembly into your hands. Just make sure you disconnect the wiring harness just under the tank first and poof. You can walk away with it all. When putting the 7" assembly in you must get the mounting block tight so the headlight doesn't vibrate or jump up and down. There is about no way to tighten it after it is mounted using the bottom bolt. HINT: Make sure the 7" headlight assembly is pointed down as far as it will go. This is about the right height for the standard beam adjustment. This will also give you plenty of clearance for installing the windshield. If you don't do this the headlight will point up into the trees and the windshield will not go back on. You may have to practice the install once or twice to get it right. The bottom bolt adjusts the headlight left or right.

Hope all this helps.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »

Wiz - that looks great!

I already spent the bucks on the LED headlight for the stock light so I am sticking with it for now. I still would like to get the 2011 speakers in the stock fairing so if anyone with a 2011 ConV that has ditched their stock fairing for a better windshield or bigger headlight please let me know as I would love to install it (or the sound system components anyway) on my 2010.

Thanks,

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »

I thought your hearing is going bad...

An Ipod is cheaper !    :2vrolijk_21:

n2mycvo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »

:apple:javascript:void(0);

Love your mods and thanks for including the part numbers. 

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »

Do you plan to add the Passing Lamps?

2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 03:21:16 PM »

Do you plan to add the Passing Lamps?

No. As a mater of fact she has decided to sell her ConV now.

She went out and found a Street Glide that she liked and brought it home.

Looks like all that work I did was for a good cause but only if she rides it. Going to decide if I take off all the modifications and sell the ConV or sell it as a combination bike.

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »

I'd be interested in the Headlight if you decide to put the stock fairing back on.
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 08:47:57 PM »

I'd be interested in the Headlight if you decide to put the stock fairing back on.

Still unsure if I'm going to take it back to stock then give the guy that buys it first shot at all the modification parts. If he doesn't want them I'll let you guys know.... including the Fullsac Prototype Mufflers.

There's plenty of time still as I haven't gotten her Street Glide mods done just yet.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 24 queries.