Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Lifters  (Read 18582 times)

Half_Crazy

Re: Lifters
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »

The 355 in my Monte SS is clearanced very loose, and noises about, but all normal for the build...

You should give a listen to this Victory I have. The primary is noisey when idling in neutral with the clutch out... sounds like a dry clutch Ducati... but once in gear it's quiet. The gear driven primary has a whine/whirr to it. There's a 1/2 mile of cam chains in this thing too. Definitely the mechanical sounding powertrain, no doubt about that, but it's all brand new.  There's no lifter noise, piston slap, or pinging, but it makes up for it with other noises. I know, we'll call it "character", or is that phrase trademarked already? I slipped it in neutral, set it over on the sidestand, and let it run for like 10 seconds. When I shut it off my buddy said "Is there oil in that thing?".

IMHO better to overbuild something than underbuild it.. I'm sure many here would agree.

Would we knowingly buy something that is underbuilt?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:00:35 PM by Half_Crazy »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 07:50:36 PM »

Would we knowingly buy something that is underbuilt?

don't embarrass us. :-[....we love our CVO motorsickles  :-* har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Half_Crazy

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 08:03:46 PM »

You'll have to read the edit...

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 10:42:36 PM »

Ha.. most of us know the shortcomings of these "great" machines we own... but we bought them anyway... figuring we can fix the moco's screwups.... or can we?

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 01:00:55 PM »

I can live with a little noise if the thing keeps on running strong but it does worry me that a little clatter leads to more noise and soon the deafening sound will lead to silence.  :D

I've decided to run the piss outta mine for the two years warranty and kill her on their nickle or prove that it will live.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »

It there a problem if I do not change them right now as the noise goes away after two miles of driving.
Bill

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2011, 02:09:16 PM »

It there a problem if I do not change them right now as the noise goes away after two miles of driving.

As others have said the noises should not really be there but it is another matter to say you need to change out the lifters. I am riding mine till it gets to be more than an irritating noise problem. I have rode my 09 Road King with the pistons and cams with the rockers knocking for 20K It is no better or worse and the bike runs great, just hate the noise.

If you are under warranty then ride on for sure. JMHO.and that ain't much. :huepfenlol2:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »

The noise won't matter until it fails and then you'll know it as it'll be too late.  Mine made absolutely NO noise and then started a slight 'ticking' that progressed to a louder noise that then became a 'chirping' noise  ....   all in less than 10 to 15 miles .... everything in the cam chest had to be replaced at that point....so according to that, you have to pre-emptively change them out or bite the bullet once they go with much more expense.  If you're under warrenty....ride on, unless you're afraid of being left on the side of the road.  If you're out of warrenty, you may want to adopt the mindset of changing out internal parts (lifters) as a maintenance item on a mileage schedule.  I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around this, but have just learned a expensive lesson that has me leaning in that direction.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »

The noise won't matter until it fails and then you'll know it as it'll be too late.  Mine made absolutely NO noise and then started a slight 'ticking' that progressed to a louder noise that then became a 'chirping' noise  ....   all in less than 10 to 15 miles .... everything in the cam chest had to be replaced at that point....so according to that, you have to pre-emptively change them out or bite the bullet once they go with much more expense.  If you're under warrenty....ride on, unless you're afraid of being left on the side of the road.  If you're out of warrenty, you may want to adopt the mindset of changing out internal parts (lifters) as a maintenance item on a mileage schedule.  I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around this, but have just learned a expensive lesson that has me leaning in that direction.  spyder

Amen.. dealer covered teh last one.. who'd going to eat it the next time around?

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »

New lifters go in tomorrow. I will be so happy without the sewing machine noise when I start up. At least I hope the noise will go away.
Bill

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2011, 12:00:01 AM »

Muddypaws, please let us know what lifters you put in and if they remain quiet. Mine is quiet at start up , but they seem to be noisey between about 2200 and 2800 RPM as soon as the engine warms up. Not bad on the freeway, but on vacation I like to take the side roads and as I am changing speed an gears on a regular basis  it drives me nuts. One independent shop recommended to a friend of mine to run thinner oil so he would more oil flow thru the engine, but even if you run 20-60 redline or straight 60 amsoil synthetic when the oil is hot it still gets pretty thin. On the up side I think my 5th gear is getting quieter. CAHDBIKER

New lifters go in tomorrow. I will be so happy without the sewing machine noise when I start up. At least I hope the noise will go away.

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2011, 07:28:12 AM »

Part number 18572-07. Bike should be home by noon if the rain holds off.
Bill

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »

"Remain Quiet" by cahdbiker

I hate to be the pessimist but I'd wager that after 2K or less some noise comes back. Please LMK if I'm wrong as sometimes it's great to be mistaken. :2vrolijk_21:

Fattbaggernknox

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »

Muddypaws, please let us know what lifters you put in and if they remain quiet. Mine is quiet at start up , but they seem to be noisey between about 2200 and 2800 RPM as soon as the engine warms up. Not bad on the freeway, but on vacation I like to take the side roads and as I am changing speed an gears on a regular basis  it drives me nuts. One independent shop recommended to a friend of mine to run thinner oil so he would more oil flow thru the engine, but even if you run 20-60 redline or straight 60 amsoil synthetic when the oil is hot it still gets pretty thin. On the up side I think my 5th gear is getting quieter. CAHDBIKER

Mine has the same noise in that rpm range...I thought it may be a backed off push rod after doinf the Fueling 574 install but opened it up & all is well. I did switch to Amsoil 50wt full syn when I did my 1k service & the noise is not nearly as noticeable imho.
2011 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp, Rb Racing black hole spyder 2-1, Aim-vpc92,SE 58MM TB, HPI 5.3 inj. Tuned by Strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae 115.42/121.85 std

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2011, 05:03:32 PM »

Mine has the same noise in that rpm range...I thought it may be a backed off push rod after doinf the Fueling 574 install but opened it up & all is well. I did switch to Amsoil 50wt full syn when I did my 1k service & the noise is not nearly as noticeable imho.
That noise in the 2200-2800 RPM range seems to be common; I hear it even after new lifters installed....gets less after motor is HOT though.  May be some sort of resonant vibration - valve related? 
All I know is I have ESP to mid 2013 and they can just keep popping new lifters in there if that keeps it running.
T
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 25 queries.