Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 1000 mile service cost...$WOW$  (Read 26193 times)

Barmats

• Junior CVO Member
1000 mile service cost...$WOW$
« on: November 06, 2012, 06:36:57 PM »

I just had my 1000 mile service done at my H-D dealer, and couldn't believe how much it cost... about $425 before tax. I know it's a CVO and all that, but it seems like an awful lot. I've seen the checklist, and other than the fluids and filters, most of it is just checking. I'll definitely consider changing the fluids myself at the next 5k service interval.

Is this comparable to what others are being charged?
2020 CVO Limited

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
Re: 1000 mile service cost...$WOW$
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 06:43:45 PM »

I think yours  is $25 cheaper
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:49:39 PM »

I haven't had any dealer work done in a long time. Your price seems about right for a dealer. Be interesting to hear if dealers have different prices for 1000K service. I do know that even if you only have basic wrench skills and knowledge you will at least be equal to some of the "techs" employed at some HD shops. You will do a better and more careful job.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

hdtrader

• Full CVO Member
  • ...in the motorcycle riding business since 1964.

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7 in Electric Orange and Black Diamond accented with H-D's Big City Lights Graphics...how did the MoCo come up with a description like that?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »

...Just curious if the they charged you for clutch adjustment?  My FLHTCUSE7 has a hydraulic clutch and no adjustment required.
Randy
North Alabama...the Greater Tennessee Valley

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 07:22:48 PM »

Got mine free with the purchase of the bike. :2vrolijk_21:

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FHTCUSE6 Blue
    • CVO2: FLHRSE5 AE
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 07:47:17 PM »

I've done all my services, saving myself some money.  Nothing difficult if you have basic mechanical skills and a service manual.
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:50:15 PM »

Some dealers will figure $100 per hour...plus fluids.
Some dealers will roll the price in with the purchase and give you "free" 500 or 1000 mile service.

:nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »

I just had my 1000 mile service done at my H-D dealer, and couldn't believe how much it cost... about $425 before tax. I know it's a CVO and all that, but it seems like an awful lot. I've seen the checklist, and other than the fluids and filters, most of it is just checking. I'll definitely consider changing the fluids myself at the next 5k service interval.

Is this comparable to what others are being charged?
Bought my '08 CUSE new - I now have 78,000 miles.  I have had ZERO "service" done by the dealer.  I do my own basic maintenance.  The only basic maintenance items I've had to do is change rear brake pads, a headlight bulb, a passing lamp bulb, tires (which I also do myself), and the battery.  I let the dealer do the warranty stuff (like replace the bad compensators, lifters, etc.). 
Don't waste your money on dealer "service"....it's a joke.  Buy a service manual and a couple torque wrenches, but chances are, you won't need them.  I have not found a loose bolt yet in 78,000 miles on my '08.  Same for my '05 Kawasaki (with 68,000 miles since new) and same for my previous '01 Kaw (50,000miles at trade), and same so far for my '96 Heritage Softail.
T

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 08:12:42 PM »

A verrrrrrry expensive oil change.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 08:17:25 PM »

Mine will be $326, same as all other Softails.
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »

If you assume they changed ALL the fluids and the oil filter, you're looking at about $90 for fluids and an oil filter at retail.  It doesn't take an hour to change the fluids, but give them the benefit of the doubt and throw in another $80-$100 for the labor.  In other words, you get maybe $200 worth of actual value.  The rest of the BS on the checklist they use to justify all the excess charges is rarely actually performed by most dealerships, other than perhaps checking the belt tension which is a five or ten minute deal at most.

If you think about it, most of the other crap on the checklist shouldn't be the customer's responsibility anyway.  If the fasteners are loose, that's a factory defect and should be a warranty expense.  If the electrical switches and accessories don't work, that is also a factory defect and the customer shouldn't have to pay to inspect and correct that either.  If a brand new latch or hinge needs lubrication already, I'd suggest Harley needs to join the modern world and install parts that don't need a shot of lube every couple weeks.  In other words, most of what is on that checklist is pure, unadulterated, super premium BS.  Btw, what is the required service interval for your other vehicles?  I don't know of any mainstream vehicle that requires anything prior to the first normal oil change at 5000 or 7500 miles.  There is nothing about a Harley that should make it any different.  Trust me, the fluids don't wear out in the first thousand miles.  What that 1000 mile first service really is is another "extra dealer profit" item, just like "dealer prep" and "doc fees".

If you have the ability and the inclination, you would be better served doing your own maintenance.  At least if you do it yourself you will know for sure what exactly was and wasn't done.  If you aren't the do-it-yourself type, find a good independent mechanic to handle your maintenance.  Most will charge much less than a Harley dealership.  And don't let a dealership con you into believing you have to have them do your maintenance to maintain your warranty coverage.  You most definitely do not have to pay them to do your maintenance, and that is spelled out in Federal law in the USA.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 06:06:34 AM »

And for $425.00.................. I'll bet they DID NOT grease the steering yoke.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 06:52:15 AM »

What he said X2. CAHDBIKER

If you assume they changed ALL the fluids and the oil filter, you're looking at about $90 for fluids and an oil filter at retail.  It doesn't take an hour to change the fluids, but give them the benefit of the doubt and throw in another $80-$100 for the labor.  In other words, you get maybe $200 worth of actual value.  The rest of the BS on the checklist they use to justify all the excess charges is rarely actually performed by most dealerships, other than perhaps checking the belt tension which is a five or ten minute deal at most.

If you think about it, most of the other crap on the checklist shouldn't be the customer's responsibility anyway.  If the fasteners are loose, that's a factory defect and should be a warranty expense.  If the electrical switches and accessories don't work, that is also a factory defect and the customer shouldn't have to pay to inspect and correct that either.  If a brand new latch or hinge needs lubrication already, I'd suggest Harley needs to join the modern world and install parts that don't need a shot of lube every couple weeks.  In other words, most of what is on that checklist is pure, unadulterated, super premium BS.  Btw, what is the required service interval for your other vehicles?  I don't know of any mainstream vehicle that requires anything prior to the first normal oil change at 5000 or 7500 miles.  There is nothing about a Harley that should make it any different.  Trust me, the fluids don't wear out in the first thousand miles.  What that 1000 mile first service really is is another "extra dealer profit" item, just like "dealer prep" and "doc fees".

If you have the ability and the inclination, you would be better served doing your own maintenance.  At least if you do it yourself you will know for sure what exactly was and wasn't done.  If you aren't the do-it-yourself type, find a good independent mechanic to handle your maintenance.  Most will charge much less than a Harley dealership.  And don't let a dealership con you into believing you have to have them do your maintenance to maintain your warranty coverage.  You most definitely do not have to pay them to do your maintenance, and that is spelled out in Federal law in the USA.

Jerry

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 07:33:22 AM »

What he said X2. CAHDBIKER

What they both said X3.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »

The service is so easy to do. When I ask my dealer why they charge so much she just smiles. I do my own. Invest in the manuals.
Bill
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 20 queries.