Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Had my saddlebags stolen today!  (Read 9934 times)

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
Re: Had my saddlebags stolen today!
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »

I have a fix to the saddle bag theft problem and it should be available for purchase before the end of the year, and you will be able to keep your original quick removal hardware. You will not even notice it until you try and steel the saddle bags.
you've got my interest
Hawg

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2012, 06:49:18 PM »

my Brukus kit showed up about noontime today... I had all 4 on in about 20 minutes time...knowing how easy the bad guys can pop the bags off.,  gave me a little piece of mind this afternoon when i parked it..i boutght 4- 5/16 x 11/4 ss allen head bolts to make it for easier romoval for me.,   i dont think i have to worry bout someone taking them for the inside...  but they're on.. :2vrolijk_21:

I've had my Brukus stuff for a while. I finally installed it today. This thread got me thinking I better before its too late. Now to install the tour pack lock as well.
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 10:04:14 AM »

I have a fix to the saddle bag theft problem and it should be available for purchase before the end of the year, and you will be able to keep your original quick removal hardware. You will not even notice it until you try and steel the saddle bags.

I understand the theft issue and that's important.  I also understand that a bag can just fall off while riding; that happened to me.

So some type of cover over the back side of the 1/4 turn pins to protect from screwdrivers or needlenose pliers is a good thing, it alone does not cover you with the bags just falling off.

I had cleaned my bike on Friday evening preparing for a lot of riding that weekend; wife going to be at the Lake of the Ozarks with girlfriends for the weekend.  In the summer I take the bags off about once a week for cleaning.  I know how to twist the 1/4 turn pins till they lock, but that did NOT help as I lost my left side bag and didn't even know it.  I found the bag, but not without having to replace the bag from scratches etc.  Insurance covered it, but it was a $1,750 bill for them and minus my deductable.

The spring steel slide in nuts that Brukus uses are not a special part and are probably available at any auto parts store for a couple bucks.  But they put the "kit" together and they sell security and convenience for us if we're so inclined to buy their kit.  It's a 10 minute install at worst.

With that being said, I've procrastinated for a couple years now and have the slide in nuts in my parts bin and I have standard bolts, but I've just not take the time to do the conversion.  I will do it before next riding season though.

I guess my point is that anything that keeps your bags on is a good thing and something to keep the 1/4 turn pins from being manually manipulated from the rear will be a plus, but there are still some of us that have just flat out lost bags from the 1/4 turn pins working loose over continued bumpy roads.

So when available I'm sure you're going to share your device with us.  But keep the 1/4 turn HD pins in mind and they are not 100% safe for the bags.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2012, 10:15:04 AM »

From what I read someplace else, the saddlebag theft has increased so dramatically lately because of the speaker systems that people build into the saddlebags. 

People need the raw materials to make a set and then sell.  Lowers the overhead dramatically. 

The stuff inside most likely ends up in a dumpster. 

IMO

bloper123

• Full CVO Member
  • Wheel weight came loose. I have a dented fender.

• CVO1: 2011 1/2 Screaming Eagle serial#9987
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »

What is the cost for a new set of bags and tops for a cvo with our nice paint job ?????????
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:04:24 PM by bloper123 »
bobby

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2012, 06:03:36 PM »

What is the cost for a new set of bags and tops for a cvo with our nice paint job ?????????
See the post below from original poster of this thread...

:pumpkin:
Ride safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Cahdbiker, imagine you come out of the gym exhausted but happy you had a great workout, you're thinking about hopping on your bike and have nice ride home, and you look up in disbelief, and a sickening feeling comes over you.  You feel like a sucker that has been set up, all the way.  I'm very upset about this and would love to exact some street justice.  I'm sure the insurance company isn't too happy about cutting a check for over three grand either.

Really, I would love to have my bags back, IPOD, and personal belongs, but I realize the idiot thieves are probably going to paint over the beautiful custom color to easy to sell, black lacquer.  It's a shame, but at least a lot of bikers will be more on top of their motorcycle security.

When I got my bike tuned I met a guy who had his Road Glide stolen along with two others out at local race course, and he really loved his bike, which he spent countless hours customizing.  So in some regard, I'm lucky and I hope you guys are luckier still!
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2012, 06:11:03 PM »

More than you want to pay, even with the insurance deductible.  If you have speakers in them, like the SG'g and the RG's , even more.  Even with a $250 deductible...that's $250 I could spend on something a hell of a lot more fun than replacing my bags because I made it a piece of cake (or rather, HD did) to steal them or have them fall off going down the road.  That would have me "Goin' Down the Road, Feelin' Bad, Bad, Bad..."   :coolblue:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Kingspoke

• 2012 CVO Ultra FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust
  • Senior CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUSE - Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
    • CA

• CVO1: 12 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2012, 06:45:20 PM »

More than you want to pay, even with the insurance deductible.  If you have speakers in them, like the SG'g and the RG's , even more.  Even with a $250 deductible...that's $250 I could spend on something a hell of a lot more fun than replacing my bags because I made it a piece of cake (or rather, HD did) to steal them or have them fall off going down the road.  That would have me "Goin' Down the Road, Feelin' Bad, Bad, Bad..."   :coolblue:

And that was just the starting point, not including supplemental expenses (IPOD, wiring, etc.), but the worst part is waiting on you bags and your bike is basically grounded.  You won't be able to park anywhere, otherwise someone will walk off with your side covers or tamper with your wiring if you take them off, etc., etc. Not to mention your bike looks like chit!

Don't let this happen to you!  Secure your bags, by whatever device you think is best!
Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »

my Brukus kit went on friday....  im leaving it on now... >:(
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.