Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Had my saddlebags stolen today!  (Read 9933 times)

Kingspoke

• 2012 CVO Ultra FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust
  • Senior CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUSE - Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
    • CA

• CVO1: 12 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire/Stardust Silver
Had my saddlebags stolen today!
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:00:17 AM »

Today, I went to the 24hr Fitness on Sommersville Road, in Antioch (Ca.), parked my bike, and used the auto lock feature, checking the ignition switch and bags.  When I came out approximately an hour later my bags were gone, and the cord to the IPOD and the wires to the automatic locking, were ripped away. :sauer055:  I would think the alarm would have activated and someone had seen something, but not to my knowledge.

I posted on another site, so that we bikers remain aware, especially around the holiday when Joe Scumbag is looking for some extra cash.

I will be ordering the torx type bag attachments, just to slow them down should this happen again (I hope not!).  I will also look into the remote security fob, if it's really viable.

The security which is normally present in the shopping mall parking lot was MIA today.  I'll go back and check for cameras.

After thinking about the situation I came up with some things that you may want to consider.

Like parking as close as possible to the entrance of the business you're going to, and parking where you have a clear view of your bike.

Being aware of people hanging out in the area who might be watching were you go, and therefore how long you would be away from your bike.

I left my registration and insurance card in the saddlebag(s) and now the thieves have my name, address & Vin#.  Fortunately they didn't go to my residence (yet), but hopefully they will and I'll be able to discuss the matter with them.

I hope you all have a great Holiday (I will) but don't let it start out like mine if at all possible.  I have insurance, I have a deductible, and a beautiful bike that looks like chit right now.

I don't want to be paranoide, but I'm probably not going to be riding my bike to that gym anytime soon.
Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
Re: Had my saddlebags stolen today!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 12:04:51 AM »

Sorry to hear and see that. Hope it all works out for you and the thieves get caught.

Kingspoke

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 12:21:07 AM »

Sorry to hear and see that. Hope it all works out for you and the thieves get caught.

Thank you!  I would love to be the one to catch them too! :rifle:  Just kidding of course! ;D
Dragula 2-1, TTS Mastertune, SE 585+4, S&S prem. lifters & adj pushrods, 106hp/117tq, Chubby 577's, Ohlins HD159 & FKC-101 fork cartridge, LSR stealth 10" dark tint, Billet Boy LED tail lite, Kury LED turn signals, Air Wing tour rack LED, HD Siren II w/pager, CD LED front signals, OPT7 LED driving & headlight, Kicker KSC674 tourpack speakers.

sharper85

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 12:41:41 AM »

I hate a thief. Sorry to hear that.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 01:23:32 AM »

Unbelievable, that sucks
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 01:25:18 AM by Aussie »

steveg56

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 StreetGlide
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:26:47 AM »

damn that sucks...I live in the East Bay too and also have a set of Torx locks sitting in the wrappers for the last 3 months.  I guess I'll be putting them on asap now.  Sorry about your bike, but thanks for the heads up.

Kingspoke

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 02:50:45 AM »

Thanks guys!  And yeah, Steveg56  good idea!  At least it will slow them down and you might be able to save your bags and any valuables in them.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 03:36:53 AM »

the Brukas locks are a pain when you have to get the bags off often,,,  now you know why..  really sorry about hearing this,,, I guess ill be putting them back on...Good luck with the insurance co too,, >:( :(

Kingspoke

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 03:49:06 AM »

Yeah, I take my bags off all the time.  I will also look into the remote alarm pager, as an option.

H-DĀ® Security System Pager Receiver II - Battery Powered

Designed to complement the Smart Siren II, this pager Receiver can be linked to the vehicle with no additional installation. The Page Receiver II monitors the Security System operation, and features multi-color LED indicators to display unique codes for arming, disarming and trigger modes. The Range Conformation Signal (RCS) confirms and displays the signal reception. Hi-efficiency FM circuitry provides excellent reception, even in buildings and parking garages. Maximum effective range is up to 1/2 mile. The Pager Receiver II features selectable vibration or audible modes. The silent paging mode feature allows selectable programming trigger modes to avoid activating the siren. The convenient built-in ultra-bright white LED flashlight helps light the way. The compact, lightweight receiver can be carried in your pocket, or clipped to a belt up to 1-3/4 inches wide. Kit includes receiver, holster, and one 3V lithium battery. Operates in conjunction with the Security System Fob and Smart Siren II.

91660-06

Fits all models equipped with the Harley-DavidsonĀ® Security System Smart Siren II. Certified for use in North America.

MSRP US $69.95

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 04:02:08 AM »

Damn, that had to be a sickening feeling.  I had the Brukus stuff on my SEEG for awhile, but I'm a clean freak in like Stu said, they're a PITA to deal with all the time.  Maybe I'll go back to using them again, but only use one on each side instead of both.

What are people stealing bags for, anyway, the bags themselves, or whatever's inside? :nixweiss:  Seems like an odd thing to steal to me.

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »

I don't wish bad luck on anybody but wish someone like that would get elephantitis in the groin area :o 

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »

To steal the bags, does one have to be able to access the inside of the saddlebag  :nixweiss: cause I was thinking that if the lids were locked, how does one get to the pin to remove it and steal the bags.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

bluegoose

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra - Riptide Blue
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 10:24:38 AM »

Terrible - Hope you find the thief.

Unless the bags are secured with something other than the stock pins any experienced thief can remove them without setting off the alarm or opening the lids. 

I use stainless button head allens with nylon locking nuts.  Pretty cheap security.

Not a lot of faith in the stock alarm.  It seems like it takes a lot of movement to set it off.

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »

To steal the bags, does one have to be able to access the inside of the saddlebag  :nixweiss: cause I was thinking that if the lids were locked, how does one get to the pin to remove it and steal the bags.

Nope...real easy and this is how they do it:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 10:43:42 AM »

No, they don't have to gain access to the interior of the bag at all.  It's a simple less than 30 second process to reach in behind the bag with a screwdriver or other tool and "pop" the spring retainer for the mounting pins.  Pro's can have your bags gone in less than 30 seconds.

Btw, the Harley system doesn't really secure much.  It shuts down the ignition, but as Kingspoke found it doesn't do anything to protect the parts attached to the bike.  There is a motion detection parameter, but it takes a pretty good shot to set the alarm off.  So they can swipe your bags, your T-P, your seat, your front fender, your mirrors, pretty much anything that can be easily unbolted.  This is why we need to always carry full coverage insurance and be very mindful of where we park.  As for why they would steal bags rather than just grab the contents, go on ebay or craigslist and look at all the ads for bags and tourpaks and other painted parts.  Besides, it takes less time to pop the entire bag and make off with it than it does to defeat the lid lock and just steal the contents.  Another fine design from the MoCo.

Sorry to hear about your loss Kingspoke.  Hopefully insurance will help and Harley will get you some new bags pronto.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 20 queries.