Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: CVO tuner  (Read 6585 times)

Gobbler

CVO tuner
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »

Can the stock tuner be remapped,or do I need to go with an aftermarket?

2012 CVO street glide, I put on the X-pipe by fullsac and getting ready to put on a set of CFR slip ons.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
Re: CVO tuner
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 03:08:30 PM »

By "stock tuner" you mean the EFI ? It can be re-programmed, but for what you're doing you will want a SERT or a TTS Mastertune (DIY). I had great success with the ProSERT and a dyno tune by my dealer.

SLO-POK3

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 11:32:54 PM »

You may want to check with Cary Fass at CFR before going any farther. I have the same slip-on mufflers and I was told by Cary that he does not recommend any type of Xpipe with his mufflers. I went with V&H Dresser duals and they sound and work great. Also, with with a Power Commander 5 module.

Just an FYI

Gobbler

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:06:56 PM »

I have read that he doesn't recommend any type of X-pipe with his slip ons, I will have to call, would like to know why!

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:16:06 PM »

I have read that he doesn't recommend any type of X-pipe with his slip ons, I will have to call, would like to know why!

Might have something to do with the X Pipe people not recommending his mufflers? Just a hunch.

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:26:29 PM »

That sounds like a pretty logical assumption.  I've heard that the CFR's sound great but are real hard to get the bike tuned in correctly.  Good luck with the install whatever you decide to go with.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:59:17 AM »

Might have something to do with the X Pipe people not recommending his mufflers? Just a hunch.

SG
Exactly!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

SLO-POK3

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »

Or the back pressure created by the X pipe does not allow the design of the CFR pipes to function as they were designed. At the end of the day, whatever pipe setup works best for your pipe is the one you should go with.

good luck and GREAT color on your bike.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »

ive heard this argument before...

however - real low back pressure is only good for showing off and racing. on the street at legal speeds its essential to have back pressure so that you have high torque.

the REAL question is what is the goal? if the goal is to race stoplight to stoplight at 5000+ rpm - then low back pressure is a real good thing.

there is no such thing as "the best pipe" or "the best muffler" - the reason is that the first question has to be "best for what"

for many - sound is much more important that power or anything else, it has to sound right and run ok.

basically you have to choose - sound OR racing OR street OR...... & then get what is appropriate. for a bar hopper true duals and loud mufflers is just fine.

for "me" i run a sidecar, so stone stock head pipes with 4" mufflers is about as good as it gets. i could possibly gain some torque with a better pipe - but getting it to fit is a nightmare. id probably gain most from a 255 cam. bigger cubes with a mild cam would be a really nice thing. even a air cleaner wont gain much since everything above 3500 rpm is mostly wasted effort for a sidecar bike.

in about 79 i ran into a guy in central iowa who had three bikes, one was a sidecar rig with 3spd and reverse foot clutch hand shift - that was the biggest engine of the group, i think he had 96" in that shovel, stock carb, stock air cleaner, stock exhaust and a near stock andrews cam.

ran fabulous & started first kick and kept up... regular gas, no issues.

to

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 12:44:01 PM »

ive heard this argument before...

however - real low back pressure is only good for showing off and racing. on the street at legal speeds its essential to have back pressure so that you have high torque.

the REAL question is what is the goal? if the goal is to race stoplight to stoplight at 5000+ rpm - then low back pressure is a real good thing.

there is no such thing as "the best pipe" or "the best muffler" - the reason is that the first question has to be "best for what"

for many - sound is much more important that power or anything else, it has to sound right and run ok.

basically you have to choose - sound OR racing OR street OR...... & then get what is appropriate. for a bar hopper true duals and loud mufflers is just fine.

for "me" i run a sidecar, so stone stock head pipes with 4" mufflers is about as good as it gets. i could possibly gain some torque with a better pipe - but getting it to fit is a nightmare. id probably gain most from a 255 cam. bigger cubes with a mild cam would be a really nice thing. even a air cleaner wont gain much since everything above 3500 rpm is mostly wasted effort for a sidecar bike.

in about 79 i ran into a guy in central iowa who had three bikes, one was a sidecar rig with 3spd and reverse foot clutch hand shift - that was the biggest engine of the group, i think he had 96" in that shovel, stock carb, stock air cleaner, stock exhaust and a near stock andrews cam.

ran fabulous & started first kick and kept up... regular gas, no issues.

to

Agree to disagree, you can find the right sound AND performance. The bottom line though is do what YOU and YOU only like and F*** the what the rest think.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 04:51:25 PM »

Can the stock tuner be remapped,or do I need to go with an aftermarket?

2012 CVO street glide, I put on the X-pipe by fullsac and getting ready to put on a set of CFR slip ons.

I'm tired of reading all this crap.  You have a stock CVO with Fullsac head pipes and you are thinking of putting CFR's on your scoot?  Do you also use the TTS Mastertune?  If so, I'm interested in your results.  Not a better sounding exhaust IMO, but my bike runs like a clock with the TTS & Fullsac heads and cores and I don't want to mess that up!  I will be looking forward to your results!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »

I'm tired of reading all this crap.  You have a stock CVO with Fullsac head pipes and you are thinking of putting CFR's on your scoot?  Do you also use the TTS Mastertune?  If so, I'm interested in your results.  Not a better sounding exhaust IMO, but my bike runs like a clock with the TTS & Fullsac heads and cores and I don't want to mess that up!  I will be looking forward to your results!
Amen!

elmobiker

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 09:57:18 PM »

I first started with 57h cam and x pipe with crusher mellow mufflers. Could not believe how much power and torque it had and so quite it was. Drilled out the plug different sizes until removed it still not the right sound. Went with dresser duals better sound but not right lost some torque. Tried the new CFR's great sound low end torque dropped. Put the x pipe back on better low end different sound quieter. Installed thunder monster baffles in the mufflers the low end torque felt about the same as the first tune. Put the dresser duals back on with the BCT baffles in them and feels the same great power and torque as my first tune and really happy with the sound no popping ever with any setup. I might do head gasket and get new tune with this setup, my first tune came up with 107 hp and 119 torque and always over 45 mpg.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 07:23:38 AM »

I first started with 57h cam and x pipe with crusher mellow mufflers. Could not believe how much power and torque it had and so quite it was. Drilled out the plug different sizes until removed it still not the right sound. Went with dresser duals better sound but not right lost some torque. Tried the new CFR's great sound low end torque dropped. Put the x pipe back on better low end different sound quieter. Installed thunder monster baffles in the mufflers the low end torque felt about the same as the first tune. Put the dresser duals back on with the BCT baffles in them and feels the same great power and torque as my first tune and really happy with the sound no popping ever with any setup. I might do head gasket and get new tune with this setup, my first tune came up with 107 hp and 119 torque and always over 45 mpg.

I think I would just ride that one and leave it alone!   :2vrolijk_21:

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »

I think I would just ride that one and leave it alone!   :2vrolijk_21:

SG
X2!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.