Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: 110 Motor Tapping  (Read 23951 times)

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
  • "I fly on the wings of Red Eagle"
110 Motor Tapping
« on: July 30, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »

I've had my '12 CVO SG since March, it's my first bike with a 110" motor.  I know it's known that the 110's have some tapping that evidently is a result of valve train noise.  I had a 96" for 4 years and a 103" for about 5 months.  Of course neither of these motors had the noises that the 110 does.  So with that as much as I really like everything else about this bike I am having a difficult time getting use to the tapping coming from my bike.  About 3,300 miles now.  Everytime I hear it I cannot help but to think that something is amiss with the motor comparing to what I knew from the previous motors.  I even had 2 Harley techs check it out just to be sure and of course they say it is normal for the 110 motor.  Maybe so but man I hate it.  I keep telling myself to give it more time and I will get use to it but it just doesn't seem to be happening.  Just curious if anyone else out there that are new to the 110 motor is having the same issue I am having and what your thoughts might be on the matter.  Does it bother you?  Did you just get use to it? etc.  And no, I don't want to just crank up the radio to drown it out or put on obnoxiously loud mufflers.  I have a Fullsac setup and like it as is.

So if I decided to go into the engine internally what would be the best thing to consider doing that would help with the tapping or better yet eliminate it completely and not break the bank?

Thanks

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
Re: 110 Motor Tapping
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »

I've had my '12 CVO SG since March, it's my first bike with a 110" motor.  I know it's known that the 110's have some tapping that evidently is a result of valve train noise.  I had a 96" for 4 years and a 103" for about 5 months.  Of course neither of these motors had the noises that the 110 does.  So with that as much as I really like everything else about this bike I am having a difficult time getting use to the tapping coming from my bike.  About 3,300 miles now.  Everytime I hear it I cannot help but to think that something is amiss with the motor comparing to what I knew from the previous motors.  I even had 2 Harley techs check it out just to be sure and of course they say it is normal for the 110 motor.  Maybe so but man I hate it.  I keep telling myself to give it more time and I will get use to it but it just doesn't seem to be happening.  Just curious if anyone else out there that are new to the 110 motor is having the same issue I am having and what your thoughts might be on the matter.  Does it bother you?  Did you just get use to it? etc.  And no, I don't want to just crank up the radio to drown it out or put on obnoxiously loud mufflers.  I have a Fullsac setup and like it as is.

So if I decided to go into the engine internally what would be the best thing to consider doing that would help with the tapping or better yet eliminate it completely and not break the bank?

Thanks

Your not alone. I have the same issue. I went from a springer to sportser to SESG and man what a difference. This motor is hot and noisy. But sure is a nice and comfortable ride. I'll take the ticking anyway as it never really bothered me.

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »

Your not alone. I have the same issue. I went from a springer to sportser to SESG and man what a difference. This motor is hot and noisy. But sure is a nice and comfortable ride. I'll take the ticking anyway as it never really bothered me.

The heat I can tolerate although that dude is some kind of hot when you are riding in almost 100 degree Texas heat.  But everytime I ride the bike and the tapping/ticking starts I cannot help but to say to myself, does everyone else that has a bike with a 110 hear what I hear and if so I have hard time believing it is acceptable to them.  So then I wonder if my bike is somehow different.  I guess I would have to hear other someone else's 110 to know for sure.  So again that is why I had it checked it but it appears my bike is acting like a normal 110 motor.

Man the ride is awesome.  This bike will chew up miles and spit them out.  I've never been more comfortable on a bike.  But again the tapping...  Everything would be right in my world if not for that.

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »

The heat I can tolerate although that dude is some kind of hot when you are riding in almost 100 degree Texas heat.  But everytime I ride the bike and the tapping/ticking starts I cannot help but to say to myself, does everyone else that has a bike with a 110 hear what I hear and if so I have hard time believing it is acceptable to them.  So then I wonder if my bike is somehow different.  I guess I would have to hear other someone else's 110 to know for sure.  So again that is why I had it checked it but it appears my bike is acting like a normal 110 motor.

Man the ride is awesome.  This bike will chew up miles and spit them out.  I've never been more comfortable on a bike.  But again the tapping...  Everything would be right in my world if not for that.

Yea I'm in Texas around San Antonio. It's hella HOT but not as humid as where you are in Texas. But as far as the tick it's normal just ride the shyte out of her. That's what I do.

SciFiGuy

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSEIII
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 04:00:56 PM »

Have the same, well not going to really call it a problem with the ticking. Had a 08 Street Bob then a 09 Street Glide and now the 12 CVO SESG and have heard the tapping on all three.

One thing to consider and I maybe way off base here but since the SESG have the lowers the sound may seem to be worse due the the sound bouncing off the lowers and to our ears.  :nixweiss:

At least thats what I keep telling myself anyway.  ???
2012 CVO FLHXIII Citrus/Gunstock

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »

Have the same, well not going to really call it a problem with the ticking. Had a 08 Street Bob then a 09 Street Glide and now the 12 CVO SESG and have heard the tapping on all three.

One thing to consider and I maybe way off base here but since the SESG have the lowers the sound may seem to be worse due the the sound bouncing off the lowers and to our ears.  :nixweiss:

At least thats what I keep telling myself anyway.  ???

I had a '08 EGC with a 96" for 4 years and I had added the lowers and that bike did not have the tapping.  Also had a '12 RGC with a 103" and added lowers to that bike also and nothing from that bike either.  I've already had the lowers off briefly on the CVO but that was shortly after I bought the bike and wasn't tuned into the tapping yet so I'm not sure how that may or may not have affected the noise.  It's so hot out right now though that I am considering removing them again.  At least remove the vented doors.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »

Being half deaf sure has helped me from having numerous engine problems.
Jesus is Lord

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:49:47 AM »

Has anyone definitively identified the source of the tapping / rattle?  My '10 SESG clatters at 2200 - 2400 rpm when the oil is thin and hot.  Very annoying... to the point I am going to throw a bunch of money at it to see if I can fix it.

Before that though, I'd like to hear from someone that has done something to completely eliminate it.

Mal
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

Grey Ghost

• Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac "C" x-pipe, 2" baffles, TTS, Monotubes

• CVO1: 2003 Dyna Wide Glide (non CVO)
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »

My SERGU also suffers from the engine chatter. It is especially noticeable from 2200 to 3500 rpm. It doesn't seem to get any worse when the motor is hot, but it is pretty loud.

I too, am looking for any clues to resolving the noise.

Speaking of getting hot. I am 'blessed' with short legs (29" inseam) so when I stop both legs are in very close proximity to the pipes where the cat is and on the other side, the primary case. I do not recall on any of the other Harleys I have ever ridden the primary case getting as hot as this one. When riding in slow traffic the heat from the right side is incredible. I have the FullSac 'C' pipe and am waiting to install pending receipt of the TTS Mastertune unit. I am hoping this cures the heat problem on the right side. Is anyone else experiencing extraordinary primary case heat??

Grey Ghost
Someone once said that the key to happiness is a bad memory. For the life of me, I can't remember who said it!!

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 10:20:39 AM »

My SERGU also suffers from the engine chatter. It is especially noticeable from 2200 to 3500 rpm. It doesn't seem to get any worse when the motor is hot, but it is pretty loud.

I too, am looking for any clues to resolving the noise.

Speaking of getting hot. I am 'blessed' with short legs (29" inseam) so when I stop both legs are in very close proximity to the pipes where the cat is and on the other side, the primary case. I do not recall on any of the other Harleys I have ever ridden the primary case getting as hot as this one. When riding in slow traffic the heat from the right side is incredible. I have the FullSac 'C' pipe and am waiting to install pending receipt of the TTS Mastertune unit. I am hoping this cures the heat problem on the right side. Is anyone else experiencing extraordinary primary case heat??

Grey Ghost

The heat from the right side is a combination of your down pipe, air breather and rear jug heat all rolled into one.  It's just hot and there ain't much you can do about it.  Taking you lowers off will help move some air through there when your are moving.

Well I had hoped someone would chime in with some suggestions on engine mods that might help with the tapping noise but so far nothing.  Was wondering if there were any fairly simple cam/lifter mods, etc that might have an effect on the cause of the noise and help alleviate it.  I thought I had read on here somewhere before where someone did something fairly simple short of a engine rebuild that didn't cost a whole lot and helped with the engine noise or maybe even made it go away completely.

So does anyone know exactly in detail what is causing the 110's to make the tapping noise in the first place?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »

I had heard that it might be coming from the lifters, so I did a cam and lifter change.....and that didn't help.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
Re: Re: 110 Motor Tapping
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 10:41:58 AM »

Cylinder sleeves moving up & down?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »

I had heard that it might be coming from the lifters, so I did a cam and lifter change.....and that didn't help.

Good information

There's gotta be some gear heads out there that know this...

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 11:11:50 PM »

Maladjusted,  Regarding the tapping noise. I had a issue with that on the S&S engine I  put in my 95 Heritage. You would swear it was valve train noise, but after an S&S certified repair shop (Bennett's in Long Beach CA.) finally fixed it it turned out to be piston slap. (THANK YOU S&S FOR SELLING ME A BRAND NEW MOTOR WITH LOOSE PISTONS).I have the same noise on my on 09SEUC between 2800 and 3000 and I bet it is also piston slap, but with the minimum amount of oil it uses I don't want to mess with it. Other than the noise it runs too good. I think I have voiced this before so sorry for the rerun post. Ride safe. CAHDBIKER

Has anyone definitively identified the source of the tapping / rattle?  My '10 SESG clatters at 2200 - 2400 rpm when the oil is thin and hot.  Very annoying... to the point I am going to throw a bunch of money at it to see if I can fix it.

Before that though, I'd like to hear from someone that has done something to completely eliminate it.

Mal

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 08:09:22 AM »

Thanks CAHDBIKER... good information.

Mal

Maladjusted,  Regarding the tapping noise. I had a issue with that on the S&S engine I  put in my 95 Heritage. You would swear it was valve train noise, but after an S&S certified repair shop (Bennett's in Long Beach CA.) finally fixed it it turned out to be piston slap. (THANK YOU S&S FOR SELLING ME A BRAND NEW MOTOR WITH LOOSE PISTONS).I have the same noise on my on 09SEUC between 2800 and 3000 and I bet it is also piston slap, but with the minimum amount of oil it uses I don't want to mess with it. Other than the noise it runs too good. I think I have voiced this before so sorry for the rerun post. Ride safe. CAHDBIKER

2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

dflanagan2012

• IA

• CVO1: 2013 ultra classic cvo 110
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »

2012 softail 110 makes a ticking, clattering, rattling  noise from 2000 to 3000 rpms, sounds like it is eating itself up from the inside. I also had 2 different mechanics look at it for the noises and I was told it was normal. but I have a hard time with engine noises like this. I am always listening for the noises and trying to keep the engine at a rpm that will make it quieter. kinda takes away from the enjoyment of riding it!!

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 10:36:24 AM »

Try running some seafoam in the oil 100 miles before you change the oil. Then put some Redline V twin oil in. If you're still running the Syn 3 oil, you should notice an improvement.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 01:35:49 PM »

2012 softail 110 makes a ticking, clattering, rattling  noise from 2000 to 3000 rpms, sounds like it is eating itself up from the inside. I also had 2 different mechanics look at it for the noises and I was told it was normal. but I have a hard time with engine noises like this. I am always listening for the noises and trying to keep the engine at a rpm that will make it quieter. kinda takes away from the enjoyment of riding it!!

X2 my brutha.  As good as it runs, the noise bothers me enough that sometimes I almost wish something would break so I'd have a reason to go into the motor and change things up.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »

I hate the engine chatter - but it runs great, rides great and looks great.
"
Ear plugs help and dont drown out the music.
"
But I wish it was much quieter

Grey Ghost

• Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac "C" x-pipe, 2" baffles, TTS, Monotubes

• CVO1: 2003 Dyna Wide Glide (non CVO)
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 11:44:04 PM »

Try running some seafoam in the oil 100 miles before you change the oil. Then put some Redline V twin oil in. If you're still running the Syn 3 oil, you should notice an improvement.

Seafoam?? I have never heard of this before. Can you describe more what it is and what it does??

Thanks,

Grey Ghost
Someone once said that the key to happiness is a bad memory. For the life of me, I can't remember who said it!!

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 01:04:59 AM »

Bearcat1, you may want to PM Van (Vanamal) and Marty (MoFo 110) on this forum.  They've both done similar, EXTENSIVE mods to their motors, and understand they run like well-oiled sewing machines... with loud exhausts.  To the tune of $5000, give or take a thousand.

I had new cams and lifters installed in mine (2012 SG), and it didn't improve any of the noises.  Now doing a little valve work, changed the primary tensioner, changed the compensator, boring the cylinders, and getting new pistons.  I'm hoping it's piston slap that's making most of the noise.  Don't really know if any of this will help, but the piston domes and heads/valves looked a lot worse than I expected for a motor with only 12,000 miles on it.  Anyway, I'm really enjoying working on the bike.  Not nearly as enjoyable as riding, though.  The only other thing that I've heard really helps would be to weld and true the crank shaft.

Good luck, hope you find a reasonable answer.

Dan

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:59 AM »

Bearcat1, you may want to PM Van (Vanamal) and Marty (MoFo 110) on this forum.  They've both done similar, EXTENSIVE mods to their motors, and understand they run like well-oiled sewing machines... with loud exhausts.  To the tune of $5000, give or take a thousand.

I had new cams and lifters installed in mine (2012 SG), and it didn't improve any of the noises.  Now doing a little valve work, changed the primary tensioner, changed the compensator, boring the cylinders, and getting new pistons.  I'm hoping it's piston slap that's making most of the noise.  Don't really know if any of this will help, but the piston domes and heads/valves looked a lot worse than I expected for a motor with only 12,000 miles on it.  Anyway, I'm really enjoying working on the bike.  Not nearly as enjoyable as riding, though.  The only other thing that I've heard really helps would be to weld and true the crank shaft.

Good luck, hope you find a reasonable answer.

Dan

lilcoot, thanks for the reply and suggestions.  It's sounding more and more like no fairly simple, not too expensive mod will fix the issue.  Why does that not surprise me?

I have read where some think it is piston slap but on the other hand everything I have read about piston slap says that if it is piston slap then the tapping should get better as an engine heats up due to the pistons expanding when they heat up.  Mine is just the opposite actually.  Right when I crank the bike from being cold it doesn't tap at all for the first few miles.  (If it would only stay like that)  Only after a few miles does it start at certain rpm's and then as it really gets hot it will get more pronounced.  So heck I don't know, I certainly ain't no expert at Harley motors.  I've read where some guys really dislike the 110 motors due to the noise and heat even though they run pretty strong.  I hate to think I am getting there myself.  Someone mentioned give me a good running 103 and he'd be happy with that over a 110.  Hmmmm???  I ran a 103 for a few months while I briefly had a Road Glide Custom.  It did run pretty darn good without the dreaded tap.

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74561.new;topicseen#new

Just replaced the cams and lifters in mine and the noises got worse.  Before I had tapping now it is pretty noisy in the rocker box as well.  Before the cams were installed the noise was pretty weird around the 1800-2200 RPM.  I heard the rocker box (barely), lower end (barely), and cylinders all making chatter. A metallic thump inside the engine like an old compressor running. Not bad, but I thought for a new motor this was a bit weird.

I installed the cams, lifters and such and the noises all became amplified. However, that being said it purred like a kitten in fifth gear at 60 with the lion waiting to take off when needed.   The rocker box became very very loud and it sound more like a sewing machine on steroids.  It moved very very nicely and certainly sounded aggressive.

Adjusted the pushrods to lower the noise but lost noticeable performance and exhaust harshness.  This thing is still obnoxious with the echoing from the pipes I have on there.  When it was very noisy in the rocker box prior to this adjustment, it ran a hair rougher but certainly would go.  Now it is quieter (relative - 2-2.5X the noise prior to the install), smoother for power application, but not same for brute power.  It still goes very nicely but at least 10-15% less prior to the adjustment. Wondering if I should readjust the pushrods again and take to a dyno or...? Is the rocker box noise normal, since it sounded more like solid lifters? 
Now when the engine is around 1900-2400 RPM, it sounds like the sewing machine is trying to punch through steel. Has anyone put in the stage kit for the 110 from Harley and had noises go away?  What about  the folks that had to replace primaries, motor sleeves and so forth?
Does the engine runout have a lot to do with these noises since everything is sloppy? Do most of these noises go away with a balanced 110 motor?  I would love to know, and how much that little endeavor would set you back.

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74561.new;topicseen#new

Just replaced the cams and lifters in mine and the noises got worse.  Before I had tapping now it is pretty noisy in the rocker box as well.  Before the cams were installed the noise was pretty weird around the 1800-2200 RPM.  I heard the rocker box (barely), lower end (barely), and cylinders all making chatter. A metallic thump inside the engine like an old compressor running. Not bad, but I thought for a new motor this was a bit weird.

I installed the cams, lifters and such and the noises all became amplified. However, that being said it purred like a kitten in fifth gear at 60 with the lion waiting to take off when needed.   The rocker box became very very loud and it sound more like a sewing machine on steroids.  It moved very very nicely and certainly sounded aggressive.

Adjusted the pushrods to lower the noise but lost noticeable performance and exhaust harshness.  This thing is still obnoxious with the echoing from the pipes I have on there.  When it was very noisy in the rocker box prior to this adjustment, it ran a hair rougher but certainly would go.  Now it is quieter (relative - 2-2.5X the noise prior to the install), smoother for power application, but not same for brute power.  It still goes very nicely but at least 10-15% less prior to the adjustment. Wondering if I should readjust the pushrods again and take to a dyno or...? Is the rocker box noise normal, since it sounded more like solid lifters? 
Now when the engine is around 1900-2400 RPM, it sounds like the sewing machine is trying to punch through steel. Has anyone put in the stage kit for the 110 from Harley and had noises go away?  What about  the folks that had to replace primaries, motor sleeves and so forth?
Does the engine runout have a lot to do with these noises since everything is sloppy? Do most of these noises go away with a balanced 110 motor?  I would love to know, and how much that little endeavor would set you back.

I just wish someone knew with 100% certainty what makes the 110 tap and chatter.  That way the issue could be singled out and then real, possible fix's considered.

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 01:27:42 PM »

X2

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »

X3

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 08:17:57 AM »

X4

Any builders out there that can educate us 110" CVO Owners?

If you're really good then you should be able to sell your answers for solid gold! ;D

GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 09:20:19 AM »

Anyone know if the the 120r motors are tapping/clattering/chattering/sewing/clacking/clicking/ticking/rattling?

I'll be a pissed off camper if I throw a few/5k into this motor and it either stays the same noise-wise or gets worse.

Mal
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

m1215

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »

all the 110s i have ridden have this noise. the piston skirt is short so you get piston slap. i have seen quite a few 110s getting hi comp pistons installed with cnc heads. they still slap after the piston upgrade. if you compare a 110 piston to a 103 you will see the difference in the skirt of the piston. from what i was told because of the piston bore size and stroke, there isn't enough room for a longer skirt.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:28 AM »

The 7, CVO 110"ers we have repaired/performance mods this year, ALL have had adjustable S&S pushrods adjusted to .140-.150" lifter load, about 1/2 have had S&S lifters installed, most have had Wood cams, and ALL were VERY quiet. :)
Scott

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 08:43:13 AM »

The 7, CVO 110"ers we have repaired/performance mods this year, ALL have had adjustable S&S pushrods adjusted to .140-.150" lifter load, about 1/2 have had S&S lifters installed, most have had Wood cams, and ALL were VERY quiet. :)
Scott

SCOTT, SO WHAT DOES ONE CHARGE TO HAVE SOMETHING LIKE THIS DONE IF THIS REALLY DOES FIX THE 110 CHATTER???

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »

PM sent.
Scott

Mount'nman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: FXSBSE (2014)
    • Family Web Site
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 11:01:11 PM »

X2 my brutha.  As good as it runs, the noise bothers me enough that sometimes I almost wish something would break so I'd have a reason to go into the motor and change things up.

Some of this thread sounds like the pinging my 110 had...  (pro pipe, cams and head work with dyno tune) Got the dealer to put the bike on the dyno again and saw the fast retard events where the bike pinged... 2000-2800 RPM...  adjusted timing and no more pinging... still hear some valve clatter but not loud.
Bike... and family protected by Ruger

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 11:07:14 AM »

Hi Scott, just wondering. Would you say it was the pushrods and lifters  that made the engine have less mechanical noises, or the cam change? I don't plan on doing anything to my 09 until something breaks, because I really like the 255 cams that are in it. Thanks in advance.CAHDBIKER

Scott

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »

Good lifters, with a good pre-load put to 'em,(adj. pushrod) seem to tame things down pretty good.
Scott

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 06:59:18 PM »

Thanks Scott. CAHDBIKER

Good lifters, with a good pre-load put to 'em,(adj. pushrod) seem to tame things down pretty good.
Scott

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »

You can bet the company knows what it is, but it's a lot cheaper to say "normal" than having to fix them.  The fact that something works on one engine and not another just means they are all over the place on quality control.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

zeflash

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 05:01:31 AM »

You can bet the company knows what it is, but it's a lot cheaper to say "normal" than having to fix them.  The fact that something works on one engine and not another just means they are all over the place on quality control.

That all depends what they believe is normal or not. For instance, if you don't consider this noise, then the engines are all working the same...

Anyways, this has been bothering me too on my 07 SERK. Prev owner had the SE 251 cams installed, and the ticking happens pretty much all over the RPM range, but I have no idea what sound it was making before with the regulaer cams. "Sounds like a sewing machine" is exactly what I and other people are saying, plus a general sensation of gritting/rasping in the engine. Like everyone else here, this noise is really taking away the fun in the ride.

In my case the mechanic seemed to think part of the noise (maybe not just the ticking) came from the cam chain tensioner & bad oil flow, and told me a change to a "SCREAMIN’ EAGLE HYDRAULIC CAM CHAIN TENSIONER AND HIGH-FLOW OIL PUMP UPGRADE" would "probably" solve this ticking pb, as it apparently did so on the boss's 2011 CVO street glide. They didn't have the parts in stock so it's still not done.

I'm not sure sure it's needed anymore now with all that has been said on this thread? Better oil flow is probably good for such a big engine, but if it's not going to fix the issue at hand ...

I also plan on putting Andrews 54 cams as I want more torque and lower RPM and Steve at Fullsac has been nice enough to explain that the SE 251 are more a top range set of CAM - I'm learning quite a lot about engines right now!
Would such a set of cam enough to fix or at least attenuate the ticking? Or from Scott's posts, do I also have to change lifters & pushrods? Given it's all connected I assume it's hard to say without actually trying. How do you adjust such rods? do you have to open up the engine every time?

This all sounds expensive no matter what though. If a 15 000 miles maintenance was charged 500€, I can't imagine how much it's gonna take to go through all those steps! Crap ::)

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 05:50:31 AM »

Well this gives me good reason to keep my 2009 serg with 26,000 quite miles shhhhhhh  I keep looking at new ones but man my chopper runs good and quite and I have had some loud ones !!! also this one uses NO oil in 5000 miles   :cucumber:

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »

As the OP of this thread I must say that a few weeks ago I decided to take the lowers off of my SG for better cooling and the tapping noise was considerably better. I would say if it would have been like that from the beginning then I probably never would have even considered mentioning anything about the noise.  It was almost "normal".  Evidently having the lowers on somehow keeps the tapping noise in and directs it more up towards the rider.  But as usual something always seems to ruin the fun.  I didn't like the wind flow with the lowers off so I put them back on.  Noise is back as it was before but I guess I am learning more to ignore it.  Still don't like it though!

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »

bearcat1, I was talking to on of the local HD techs I just happened to see and he said the noise we are all hearing is mostly piston slap because of the short piston skirts. So combine that with a little valve train noise, and a little clatter from the compensator sprocket and it adds up to a pretty mixed up bunch of noises that would be hard to pinpoint. Mine is quiet at idle hot or cold, only makes noticeable noises between about 2800 and 3000 RPM. ( I do think the SE compensator they just intalled under warranty clacks a little more than the old one, I was unfortunate not to get the latest upgrade I believe I got part no. 40274-08 I think the latest upgrade is 40274-08A ). I am looking forward to hearing the phrase "that's normal" when I take it back for them to listen to it. Other than the above I will ride it the way it is since the performance is good and oil consumption is very minimal.CAHDBIKER

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 11:12:18 PM »

bearcat1, I was talking to on of the local HD techs I just happened to see and he said the noise we are all hearing is mostly piston slap because of the short piston skirts. So combine that with a little valve train noise, and a little clatter from the compensator sprocket and it adds up to a pretty mixed up bunch of noises that would be hard to pinpoint. Mine is quiet at idle hot or cold, only makes noticeable noises between about 2800 and 3000 RPM. ( I do think the SE compensator they just intalled under warranty clacks a little more than the old one, I was unfortunate not to get the latest upgrade I believe I got part no. 40274-08 I think the latest upgrade is 40274-08A ). I am looking forward to hearing the phrase "that's normal" when I take it back for them to listen to it. Other than the above I will ride it the way it is since the performance is good and oil consumption is very minimal.CAHDBIKER

Yes, it could be piston slap.  Only thing that makes me scratch my head about that though is the fact that I have read that usually piston slap will get less noticeable as the motor warms up and reaches normal operating temps.  But mine is just the opposite.  Quiet at first and then gets more noticeable as things warm up.  So heck, who knows?  Like you said, she's performing good, oil is normal so I have to assume all is well.

Yep, I already got the "that's normal" twice...

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »

Sounds such as this presented cold are likely slap and when worse hot valve train lash and/or harmonics.

The following video demonstrates harmonics in the valve train and also shows the advantages of the beehive spring design, The CVO uses a dual conventional spring with a damper
http://www.racingsprings.com/movie-beehive1

The se255 even though it is not a long high lift cam has relatively fast ramps and combined with the same valve gear below the heads as the 96" can cause valve train noise at select RPMs. The main difference from the OEM 96" is the CVO valve springs have about a 400# rate VS the OEM beehive 320# and much larger heavier valves. Now the components below the heads need to be changed to match the top and lash will diminish. This includes better lifters, Gaterman in my case, better pushrods Smiths my choice, and preload set at stock. These items do require the gas tank to be removed and the rockers can be removed without pulling the whole top apart. The SE 18404-08 are decent and will load from the side. They are an improvement but the Smiths are a much better more rigid part. I have yet to see a 110 CVO headed motor present whisper quiet but there are improvements to be had doing what I said. A cam change can help too if the lobes are closer to industrial in rate. Many are more aggressive so choose carefully. Valve springs complete the assembly but due to the fact the heads need to be pulled most rule that out.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:20:11 AM by Deweysheads »

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 09:20:29 PM »

I know that the 110 uses larger diameter valves with a larger seat area. So, can most of this valve train noise be the sound the valve makes closing against the seat?  It makes seance to me.  The fact that all kinds of mods do nothing to improve things tells me that this valve/seat interface could be the culprit.  I had head work done by J-precision ( CNC porting and larger valves with seats, tapered springs and new guides )  The ticking noise is much louder now. Stock pistons and lifters.  So I dont think we can do much with large valve motors and the ticking noise.  I got a 3/4 helmet and I love it!!!  Blocks out most of the noise and I can hear the music much better. Cheers all.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2012, 02:29:05 AM »

bearcat1, I have replied to your post before, but I just thought of something my S&S engine was doing when the pistons were loose. Besides all the obnoxious noises it made when I was riding it, if you revved it a little and listened carefully it would make a low pitched knocking noise just off idle. It was hard to hear, but it was definitely there. Regarding my 09, I mentioned in another post that I  had my compensator sprocker replaced recently. I did not get the latest version. Now as I am going thru the gears I am hearing and addittional clacking noise at about 3000 RPM. It doesn't do it if I rev it up in neutral. Once I am in a higher gear say 5th or 6th going down the freeway all is quiet and smooth as glass. If it was only that quiet all the time. I am going to take it back in and have the service writer or tech take if for a ride and  hold it in 2nd or 3rd gear at 3000 RPM where you can really hear the new noise.( actually it sounds kind of like it did before the new compensator sprocket was installed ) I just don't understand why the clacking noise goes away in higher gears at freeway speeds and same RPM.CAHDBIKER.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2012, 08:16:56 AM »

Owning my '12 CVO SG and not hearing any tapping sounds from the engine, I was always curious when I would read this thread about engine tapping noise.  That all changed a few weeks ago when I was helping a friend out with her 2011.5 CVO Ultra.  She needed to get it to the dealer for some routine work but couldn't fit it in her schedule.  I volunteered to ride it there and wait on service and then bring it back home.  The dealer is 3 miles from my house.  I have never ridden this MC before, nor have I ever ridden an Ultra but wasn't intimidated because I just looked at it as a SG with a TP.  Upon pulling out of the garage, and at low RPM's I could hear this loud tapping coming from her engine.  I was was SHOCKED at how noisy this engine was and yet I have the same one in my '12 SG (minus the engine tapping).  When I got to the dealers, I informed the service dept that the engine was making this God awful tapping noise.  They pushed it back in the service dept and when completed the work told me that the noise was "normal".  When I pulled out from the dealer, I took it on a little ride and I noticed that after the engine heated up and after about 15 miles the noise all but went away.  How and why that two MC's with the same engine can sound so different?  Mine doesn't tap at all and her's taps until warm.  Go figure  :nixweiss:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »

Owning my '12 CVO SG and not hearing any tapping sounds from the engine, I was always curious when I would read this thread about engine tapping noise.  That all changed a few weeks ago when I was helping a friend out with her 2011.5 CVO Ultra.  She needed to get it to the dealer for some routine work but couldn't fit it in her schedule.  I volunteered to ride it there and wait on service and then bring it back home.  The dealer is 3 miles from my house.  I have never ridden this MC before, nor have I ever ridden an Ultra but wasn't intimidated because I just looked at it as a SG with a TP.  Upon pulling out of the garage, and at low RPM's I could hear this loud tapping coming from her engine.  I was was SHOCKED at how noisy this engine was and yet I have the same one in my '12 SG (minus the engine tapping).  When I got to the dealers, I informed the service dept that the engine was making this God awful tapping noise.  They pushed it back in the service dept and when completed the work told me that the noise was "normal".  When I pulled out from the dealer, I took it on a little ride and I noticed that after the engine heated up and after about 15 miles the noise all but went away.  How and why that two MC's with the same engine can sound so different?  Mine doesn't tap at all and her's taps until warm.  Go figure  :nixweiss:
I noticed in your avatar you don't have lowers on your bike... the sound you are hearing on the Ultra could be more noticeable due to lowers being on and you might hear the same sound if you had lowers on yours. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2012, 08:31:08 AM »

I noticed in your avatar you don't have lowers on your bike... the sound you are hearing on the Ultra could be more noticeable due to lowers being on and you might hear the same sound if you had lowers on yours. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Yep, I do have lower's on my SG.  They are stock on the CVO SG and I have never removed them..,  :-\
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »

Yep, I do have lower's on my SG.  They are stock on the CVO SG and I have never removed them..,  :-\
:oops: My bad... ole eyes and before coffee :D... I knew they were stock but when I first looked I thought they had been removed but after looking again I do see them. :-[ Disregard my last then. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2012, 05:37:59 PM »

When I traded my 08 96" on the '10 110", my impression when I left the dealer was the engine was going to fly apart between my legs, causing severe shrapnel damage.  I got used to it.  Kinda like getting used to the straight cut gear noise in my '84 Moto Guzzi tranny.  At 62K, it still runs great, makes the same noise, and uses virtually no oil. 

I agree that the cacophony comes from multiple places.  It is not so loud that I could not detect an additional rattle from the inner primary when the compensator  went bad.  Warranty replaced the whole primary, so that's nice and quiet now.

It may be a little rattly, but not obnoxious.  When I start it with a group of 88s and 96s, you KNOW it's different, even the exhaust cadence.
Spada84
NoSofa!

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »

bearcat1, I have replied to your post before, but I just thought of something my S&S engine was doing when the pistons were loose. Besides all the obnoxious noises it made when I was riding it, if you revved it a little and listened carefully it would make a low pitched knocking noise just off idle. It was hard to hear, but it was definitely there. Regarding my 09, I mentioned in another post that I  had my compensator sprocker replaced recently. I did not get the latest version. Now as I am going thru the gears I am hearing and addittional clacking noise at about 3000 RPM. It doesn't do it if I rev it up in neutral. Once I am in a higher gear say 5th or 6th going down the freeway all is quiet and smooth as glass. If it was only that quiet all the time. I am going to take it back in and have the service writer or tech take if for a ride and  hold it in 2nd or 3rd gear at 3000 RPM where you can really hear the new noise.( actually it sounds kind of like it did before the new compensator sprocket was installed ) I just don't understand why the clacking noise goes away in higher gears at freeway speeds and same RPM.CAHDBIKER.

CAHDBIKER, I would be curious to know what they will tell you when you bring it in.  I somehow have a feeling I know what response you will hear though...

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »

Yes sir, now you know what all the fuss is about.  If your '12 is quiet, consider yourself lucky I would say.

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

When I took my lowers off briefly a few weeks ago the engine noise went away considerably.  Almost to the point of sounding normal.  Man I was loving it!  But I also love my lowers being on the bike for various reasons so I had to put them back on.  The lowers definitely have something to do with the how the rattling noise carries upwards towards the rider.  At least on my bike it does.  :nixweiss:

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 08
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 06:00:58 PM »

Thought I need to chime in, I have the fix! when I ride with out my hearing aids the ticking goes away! ;D

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »

Thought I need to chime in, I have the fix! when I ride with out my hearing aids the ticking goes away! ;D
:lolk:

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2012, 08:59:28 PM »

Nice... :laugh:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2012, 10:54:07 PM »

I just got my '12 FLHTCUSE7 eleven days ago.  I was only able to put about 200 miles on it until yesterday.  Yesterday the tapping noise started and now with about 650 miles, one of my friends said he could hear it riding next to me at highway speeds.  I traded in the same bike in an '09 model and I never had this noise on that bike.  It's pretty loud.  I'm still waiting for my exhaust to arrive, so I'm sure the level of noise is accentuated by the fact that I don't have any other noise to cover it (other than the stereo).  I keep turning the stereo down to listen to the sound, as I've been worried that the engine is going to explode and fire projectiles in all directions.  The crazy thing is that it ran so quiet for the first 200 miles and a good part of the next 200.  I had mentioned to friends that the bike was so quiet and smooth, and that I was enjoying it and that I thought I had finally found out what it must be like to ride a Gold Wing.  I even mentioned that maybe it was a mistake putting a different exhaust on, since it was a pleasant change.  I wish I knew if I'm hearing the same thing that everybody else is.  I can't imagine what could have happened to change it and I had been taking it very easy in break-in, topping out at 65mph.  I talked to one of the techs at the dealer and he told me that as long as I am showing good oil pressure, continue riding and tell them to check it out when I take it in for the exhaust. 

hbens

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Candy Cobalt/Starlight Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 SESG Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2012, 05:47:42 PM »

"I talked to one of the techs at the dealer and he told me that as long as I am showing good oil pressure, continue riding and tell them to check it out when I take it in for the exhaust. "

And the response will be that's normal!

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity!

Dragula 2 into 1, S&S 640 EZ start cams pistons (10.8 compression) flywheel and Timken bearing, Vee Twin Racing Stage IV ported heads, K&N air cleaner, Power Vision with WBO2 auto tuner, king tour pak, solo & two up mounts, pass. floor boards, Headwinds spot/turn signal lights, zumo 660 GPS, ssaddlebag guard & pouches, Progress Suspension cartridg

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2012, 06:23:27 PM »

That all depends what they believe is normal or not. For instance, if you don't consider this noise, then the engines are all working the same...

Anyways, this has been bothering me too on my 07 SERK. Prev owner had the SE 251 cams installed, and the ticking happens pretty much all over the RPM range, but I have no idea what sound it was making before with the regulaer cams. "Sounds like a sewing machine" is exactly what I and other people are saying, plus a general sensation of gritting/rasping in the engine. Like everyone else here, this noise is really taking away the fun in the ride.

In my case the mechanic seemed to think part of the noise (maybe not just the ticking) came from the cam chain tensioner & bad oil flow, and told me a change to a "SCREAMIN’ EAGLE HYDRAULIC CAM CHAIN TENSIONER AND HIGH-FLOW OIL PUMP UPGRADE" would "probably" solve this ticking pb, as it apparently did so on the boss's 2011 CVO street glide. They didn't have the parts in stock so it's still not done.

I'm not sure sure it's needed anymore now with all that has been said on this thread? Better oil flow is probably good for such a big engine, but if it's not going to fix the issue at hand ...

I also plan on putting Andrews 54 cams as I want more torque and lower RPM and Steve at Fullsac has been nice enough to explain that the SE 251 are more a top range set of CAM - I'm learning quite a lot about engines right now!
Would such a set of cam enough to fix or at least attenuate the ticking? Or from Scott's posts, do I also have to change lifters & pushrods? Given it's all connected I assume it's hard to say without actually trying. How do you adjust such rods? do you have to open up the engine every time?

This all sounds expensive no matter what though. If a 15 000 miles maintenance was charged 500€, I can't imagine how much it's gonna take to go through all those steps! Crap ::)

The stock oil pump flows plenty of oil with plenty of pressure.  If you're changing cams, I'd go ahead and put better lifters and adjustable pushrods in there too, as the cost difference is just the parts.  And not necessarily HD parts, but if you're dealing with a dealer to do the work, using non HD parts may be an issue.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

cvoscoot

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Ruby/Typhoon Street Glide
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2012, 10:50:02 PM »

My 2012 sesg is making a tapping noise that sounds like a lifter,but when you pull the clutch in it goes away.Dealer said normal of coarse.Does your noise go away when you pull clutch in?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »

I get the worst of the noise if I'm riding along and just give the throttle a very slight turn and when I let off the throttle altogether.  It gets much louder with a very distinct sound.  It sounds something like one of those spinning wheels you might see in a casino if you spin it very fast.  It just goes back to the tapping sound if I pull in the clutch.  I have an appointment to have my new exhaust installed on Friday, so I think I'm going to drop it off a few days early, just in case they don't say "that's how they all sound" and want to check it out further.  I'm really hoping that it's something that remapping the bike with the EFI tuner makes it better, and then the exhaust should cover the remaining normal valve train operations.  Hopefully I'll know what I'm stuck riding with by Saturday.

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »

My 2012 sesg is making a tapping noise that sounds like a lifter,but when you pull the clutch in it goes away.Dealer said normal of coarse.Does your noise go away when you pull clutch in?

This is some sort of "clutch chatter" that is indeed normal in the CVO bikes.  There is an official name for it that escapes me right now and it only happens after things have heated up.  It has nothing to do with the motor valve train noise that this thread is based on.  No harm to the bike, just ride on.  It caught my attention for about 2 weeks after I bought my bike earlier this year.  Now I don't even hear it anymore...

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »

My 2012 FLSTSE3 has had this "NOISE" since the very first day, and it is still very annoying after 9500 miles.

I have changed the exhaust to a Bassani 2-1 Road Rage Long, and added Nightrider XiED's to richen up the closed loop. I has helped with the heat issue, and also has increased the torque when riding in higher gears. That being said, I took it to my dealer and ask if one of the PHD techs could take it for a ride and see if it was something to worry about . . . too my amazement they did just that, and then told me is the the "HEAT SHIELDS" on the Bassani, WTF  :nixweiss: So I rode it home, took the HS off and guess what, the noise is still there . . .  :nixweiss:

This is just another reason why I do NOT trust them. I do my own oil changes and tires, which I have had to replaced the rear at 8500 miles WTH.
It is interesting to hear other opinons on the very annoying issue. Guess I will ride it till it breaks. Like others have stated, it runs good  :2vrolijk_21:

will continue to follow this thread.

WD

Btw- still using Syn3 in all 3
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2012, 04:18:40 PM »

My 2012 FLSTSE3 has had this "NOISE" since the very first day, and it is still very annoying after 9500 miles.

I have changed the exhaust to a Bassani 2-1 Road Rage Long, and added Nightrider XiED's to richen up the closed loop. I has helped with the heat issue, and also has increased the torque when riding in higher gears. That being said, I took it to my dealer and ask if one of the PHD techs could take it for a ride and see if it was something to worry about . . . too my amazement they did just that, and then told me is the the "HEAT SHIELDS" on the Bassani, WTF  :nixweiss: So I rode it home, took the HS off and guess what, the noise is still there . . .  :nixweiss:

This is just another reason why I do NOT trust them. I do my own oil changes and tires, which I have had to replaced the rear at 8500 miles WTH.
It is interesting to hear other opinons on the very annoying issue. Guess I will ride it till it breaks. Like others have stated, it runs good  :2vrolijk_21:

will continue to follow this thread.

WD

Btw- still using Syn3 in all 3

Willie, do yourself a favor and get the Syn 3 out of your tranny.  Go with a good gear oil such as Royal Purple Max Gear or Redline Tranny oil with shockproof.  I just recently went to Redline in everything and so far am really happy.  They make specfic fluids for each application, 20w-50 or 20w-60 for the motor, tranny oil for the transmission and they have a blend also for the primary.  Prior to using Redline I had Mobil 1 in the motor, Royal Purple Max Gear in tranny and Harley Formula + in the primary.  A great combination in my opinion but because of the valve train noise in the motor I started looking at Redline 20w-50 because I had read where some used it with good results in quieting the engine noise some.  So I just decided to go Redline in everything and changed it this past weekend with a few miles so far and I really believe it did quiet things down some (I'd take anything at this point).  I can't say I can tell any difference from before in regards to tranny and primary but it still feels good.  So, so far so good and all I can say is all the Redline stuff is very, very slick.  I liked what I saw.  I know Harley says you can use a motor oil in the tranny but I think popular opinion is that you shouldn't.  Just sayin.

Bearcat

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »

Willie, do yourself a favor and get the Syn 3 out of your tranny.  Go with a good gear oil such as Royal Purple Max Gear or Redline Tranny oil with shockproof.  I just recently went to Redline in everything and so far am really happy.  They make specfic fluids for each application, 20w-50 or 20w-60 for the motor, tranny oil for the transmission and they have a blend also for the primary.  Prior to using Redline I had Mobil 1 in the motor, Royal Purple Max Gear in tranny and Harley Formula + in the primary.  A great combination in my opinion but because of the valve train noise in the motor I started looking at Redline 20w-50 because I had read where some used it with good results in quieting the engine noise some.  So I just decided to go Redline in everything and changed it this past weekend with a few miles so far and I really believe it did quiet things down some (I'd take anything at this point).  I can't say I can tell any difference from before in regards to tranny and primary but it still feels good.  So, so far so good and all I can say is all the Redline stuff is very, very slick.  I liked what I saw.  I know Harley says you can use a motor oil in the tranny but I think popular opinion is that you shouldn't.  Just sayin.

Bearcat

Well I used to use Mobil 1 15w50 in all of my other HD's - but because this one came with it and it felt good right away, I decided to stay with it until the warranty is up. It shifts fine and the trany is quiet. I know that most folks have switched to some form of GEAR lube and I used to use it in the trans too, but so far so good. They have also changed the formula, so for now I will go with it and change it at 5K intervals.
Thanks for your interest and the reply.
WD

01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2015 BMW F700GS

DISTURBEDCUSTOM

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »

HELLO I ALSO HAD THE SAME THING GOING ON WITH MY ULTRA SE WHAT I DID WAS INSTALL THE CAM PLATE WITCH GIVE YOU A TON OF OIL PRESURE AND THE NOSE GET ESS ITS STILL THERE I ALSO INSTALLED CAMS AND ROLLER ROCKERS THE BIKE SCREAMS

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »

Bearcat

I ran Mobil 1 in the engine, redline in the tranny and primary on my 09.  I won't run the Redline in the primary again in my new bike.  As soon as I put it in, I started having what seemed to be slipping problems.  I never mentioned it to anyone, and then my friend has the 2011.5 SEUC and he just mentioned to me the other day that ever since he added that to the primary, his clutch is slipping.  I don't know if it's actually slipping or what it is, but it sure felt different and not in a good way.  Just sayin....

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2012, 08:02:54 PM »

This was posted by user jfh.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=44545.75

Re: Feuling 574 Cam in a 110"
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
Dan,

I had the sewing machine ticking in the 2800-3200 range and completely eliminated it by replacing the pistons and jugs with proper fitting pieces from Axtell.

Good luck with yours.
John
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:07:08 PM by DDavidson »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2012, 08:54:45 AM »

Dan,

I had the sewing machine ticking in the 2800-3200 range and completely eliminated it by replacing the pistons and jugs with proper fitting pieces from Axtell.

Good luck with yours.
John

Axtell only offers the 110 cyls in black?  bummer.
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

hbens

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2012, 09:04:53 AM »

This is some sort of "clutch chatter" that is indeed normal in the CVO bikes.  There is an official name for it that escapes me right now and it only happens after things have heated up.  It has nothing to do with the motor valve train noise that this thread is based on.  No harm to the bike, just ride on.  It caught my attention for about 2 weeks after I bought my bike earlier this year.  Now I don't even hear it anymore...

There is a technical service bulletin on this issue. In short, it is accumulative tollerances stacking up in the transmission. Unless there are broken teeth and stuff there isn't anything you can do about it. Attached is a PDF of the TSB.

On the other rattle noise, mine also does this. I can almost make it happen at will between 2200-2800 rpms with a light to medium accelleration. If you put more juice to her the rattle stops.
Needless to say I don't like it and wish it wasn't there. When I put new pistons in (SE 10.5) I hope to find something.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity!

Dragula 2 into 1, S&S 640 EZ start cams pistons (10.8 compression) flywheel and Timken bearing, Vee Twin Racing Stage IV ported heads, K&N air cleaner, Power Vision with WBO2 auto tuner, king tour pak, solo & two up mounts, pass. floor boards, Headwinds spot/turn signal lights, zumo 660 GPS, ssaddlebag guard & pouches, Progress Suspension cartridg

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »

I ran Mobil 1 in the engine, redline in the tranny and primary on my 09.  I won't run the Redline in the primary again in my new bike.  As soon as I put it in, I started having what seemed to be slipping problems.  I never mentioned it to anyone, and then my friend has the 2011.5 SEUC and he just mentioned to me the other day that ever since he added that to the primary, his clutch is slipping.  I don't know if it's actually slipping or what it is, but it sure felt different and not in a good way.  Just sayin....

Good to know but so far so good for me on the Redline products.  Shifts good, clutches good and seemed to quiet the engine noise a bit.  Still hear the engine noise some but it did tone it down a bit.  I'll run the 20w-50 with fall and winter coming on and then next summer I think I am going to try the 20w-60 with the south Texas heat.

What would you happen to be using in your primary now?  Just curious.

hbens

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »

I'll chime in with what I use.
Redline ShockProof in the Xmsn and Redline Primary oil in the primary.
In the crankcase I'm using Mobile 1 20w-50 because I bought a case of it for $7 each.
I will always use the Redline ShockProof in the tranny. It seems to shift quieter without any clunking noises.
I typically buy enough product to do 2 or 3 fluid changes at the same time so I don't have to make special trips to change the oil.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2012, 09:32:47 PM »

Good to know but so far so good for me on the Redline products.  Shifts good, clutches good and seemed to quiet the engine noise a bit.  Still hear the engine noise some but it did tone it down a bit.  I'll run the 20w-50 with fall and winter coming on and then next summer I think I am going to try the 20w-60 with the south Texas heat.

What would you happen to be using in your primary now?  Just curious.

I only have 650 miles on it and it's at the shop getting the exhaust changed out, so it's still the SYN3 in there for now.  Going forward, I'll figure that out when the time comes to change it.  I'm letting the shop do the 1000 mile on it next week and then I'll take over from there.  I want to make sure everything is good before I start doing the regular maintenance.

clubbie

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2012, 10:53:53 AM »

Well the motor tapping noise had me going nuts for ages. Unfortunately (actualy fortunately) I was breath tested and given a defect notice for loud pipes (VH 2:1). I had to get the bike inspected so off came the pipes and the heavy breather.

Low and behold my tapping noise has gone. The racket coming from the top end is now nearly silent. Doing a bit of research it seems that I could hear the intake clack clack through the heavy breather and the exhaust tapping though the 2:1 pipes.

So now I am stuck the bike has lost quite a bit of tq/hp but the motor is silent (still has 10.5 and 259's). Change the head pipes and I expect the exhaust tapping to start again. Change the intake and I expect to hear the intake valves snaping closed again. Not scientific just forced to go back to stock.

The result for me is that I will put the AC and 2:1 (working on a modded baffle) back on the bike and put up with the noise and be confident in the knowledge that I am hearing my motor in all it's loud clack clack tap tap noise.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2012, 07:45:46 PM »

I dropped my bike off at the dealer today.  The service manager heard what I am hearing.  One of the techs came over to me and told me he heard it loud and clear and told me not to worry about it...he'll fix it.  So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  They sounded pretty confident that they could get rid of all that racket.  I have to wonder if all of you folks are hearing the same thing that I hear on mine.  It's pretty bad.  I also took a stethoscope to it and it seemed like it was coming from the upper part of the rear cylinder and the lower part of the front cylinder.  That part was bit baffling.  I'm hoping to hear something positive from the shop some time this week.  Again, mine is so bad that while riding down the highway, my friends can hear the tapping on my bike when they ride near me on theirs.  This is my second 110" and the other one never made this kind of noise.

2NinerSG

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2012, 08:34:52 PM »

I concur, after having an 01' 96 inch Heritage and a 12 FLHX 103 CI, the 110 street glide SE3 is a rattle trap.

Profit drives public companies, most do what is minimally necessary to sell a product.

My guess is - this much metal in motion on an air cooled, portable boom box platform needs to have lots of metal to metal CLEARANCE!

My 110 sounded like someone shaking a 1 pound coffee can partially filled with pennies. I fantasised that the 1000 mile oil change would quiet things down. I even thought that HD may have retarded the engine timing during the "break in" period. With a face void of emotion, the HD service guy told me this is the nature of the beast.

The EITMS was kicking in at every traffic light. the engine pops & backfires at startup. At nearly every traffic light, the bike coughs like an 80 yr old Marlboro man! What a ride! I'm thinking this must be just like it was in 1903!

Then I remembered a product I used years ago and thought I would give Gene Smith a call in York PA for some ideas. I was able to make significant improvement when Gene made a few suggestions. I changed the oil AGAIN at 1800 miles as Gene suggested. I dropped all of the Syn3 for AMS oil 20-50. This resulted in a major improvement in noise reduction, engine performance and engine heat. I noticed the front end rises much more when twisting the throttle. This one change brought the bike more in line with my GSXR 750 acceleration.

EITMS rarely kicks in.

The spits and sputters were largely corrected by running a ratio of 1.5/3.5 gallons of 100 UL Sunoco to 93 octane. - its expensive but I don't have the time for the drama at the HD dealer.

Until it flies apart, I might as well ride it!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2012, 08:53:13 PM »

I dropped my bike off at the dealer today.  The service manager heard what I am hearing.  One of the techs came over to me and told me he heard it loud and clear and told me not to worry about it...he'll fix it.  So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  They sounded pretty confident that they could get rid of all that racket.  I have to wonder if all of you folks are hearing the same thing that I hear on mine.  It's pretty bad.  I also took a stethoscope to it and it seemed like it was coming from the upper part of the rear cylinder and the lower part of the front cylinder.  That part was bit baffling.  I'm hoping to hear something positive from the shop some time this week.  Again, mine is so bad that while riding down the highway, my friends can hear the tapping on my bike when they ride near me on theirs.  This is my second 110" and the other one never made this kind of noise.

I hope they fix what you are hearing...please keep us updated on the results.

zeflash

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2012, 05:30:57 AM »

Feedback on the changes that have been made on my 2007 SERK;
I had the oil pump ensemble changed to the "SCREAMIN’ EAGLE HYDRAULIC CAM CHAIN TENSIONER AND HIGH-FLOW OIL PUMP UPGRADE", and had the wood cam 54 installed.
It's been two weeks and a couple hundred km done on it, and what I can say is that the overall engine noise has been WAY reduced. I don't really know what exactly was making so much noise before - a general rasping noise, like something not well lubricated enough I guess in retrospect - but with the new pump it's night & day. I can hear my exhaust much better. I can talk to my passenger when stopped with the engine at idle without having to shout, while it was necessary to do so before.
So that's a very good thing.

The stock oil pump flows plenty of oil with plenty of pressure.  If you're changing cams, I'd go ahead and put better lifters and adjustable pushrods in there too, as the cost difference is just the parts.  And not necessarily HD parts, but if you're dealing with a dealer to do the work, using non HD parts may be an issue.

I have a oil pressure manometer on mine; previous pump was showing between 10 to 15 when idle, and 25 to 30 at 3500rpm; new pumps shows pressures between 25 and 30 at idle, and up to 55 when revving up the engine. I'd say big difference. And I  can hear the difference too, although it might be combined factors.
The mechanics seemed to believe that the regular pump on the CVO engines is way too weak; they also changed it on the boss' 2012 CVO street glide and it lowered the general noise, although in a lesser way than what it did on mine. They were kind of amazed how better it was.

Now, you'd think I'm perfectly happy. Sadly, the ticking is still there. It's even *more* present given the rest of the engine noise has been lowered. It does it strong when the engine is hot, nearly not at all when it's cold. The guys took an hour to go around the engine, listening to the internals and trying to pinpoint the origin, and we believe that in my case, it's valve train noise, because it seems to come a bit more from the left side of the engine, and it's definitely coming from the top of it rather than the bottom.
As usual, the answer was: nothing we can do about it, it's because of the new cams you put in. It's the valve that come down to hard or are rebounding or something like that because of the ramp of the cam. But it was doing it with the 255 that were in before! Now it's doing it differently, but it's still present.

This sound is nothing has loud as it seems to be for other people in this thread. I mean, I'm not sure that if I was riding next to my bike driven by someone else I would be able to hear it, but it still annoys the heck out of me. Given the feedback from some knowledgeable forumers, I'd say my next plan of action would be to change pushrods & lifters. That's gonna cost me again, my wife isn't going to be happy, but it's taking joy out of my rides!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2012, 10:20:20 AM »

couple quick questions

Did you install a woods cam or a Andrews 54?  If woods which one?

Did you use SE pushrods?   If so how many flats were they set to?   In many cases the request is 15 flats which is 2 1/2 turns, but a lot of people set to them 3 turns or 18 flats as this helps quiet the valve train a bit might be something to consider if this is the case for you.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2012, 11:38:09 AM »

I have a oil pressure manometer on mine; previous pump was showing between 10 to 15 when idle, and 25 to 30 at 3500rpm; new pumps shows pressures between 25 and 30 at idle, and up to 55 when revving up the engine. I'd say big difference. And I  can hear the difference too, although it might be combined factors.
The mechanics seemed to believe that the regular pump on the CVO engines is way too weak; they also changed it on the boss' 2012 CVO street glide and it lowered the general noise, although in a lesser way than what it did on mine. They were kind of amazed how better it was.

This sound is nothing has loud as it seems to be for other people in this thread. I mean, I'm not sure that if I was riding next to my bike driven by someone else I would be able to hear it, but it still annoys the heck out of me. Given the feedback from some knowledgeable forumers, I'd say my next plan of action would be to change pushrods & lifters. That's gonna cost me again, my wife isn't going to be happy, but it's taking joy out of my rides!

Pressure and flow are two different things.  You can only move a set volume of oil through the engine, regardless of pressure, depending of course on the design of the orifices that provide oil to the various components. If you have a pinhole sized orifice to push the oil through, there is a point at which the amount of pressure will make absolutely no difference in the amount of oil going through the hole.  The shape of the hole also makes a difference.  I would maintain that 10-12 PSI at idle on a HD engine is gracious plenty of pressure, and 30 PSI at 3K RPM would be as well.  Excess pressure just results in bypassing.  It makes people feel better to see more pressure on the gauge, but whether it is necessary or even a good thing is a different matter entirely.  After working for many years on systems that used extremely large pumps to get chilled water through closed loop building systems, I can tell you with certainty that increased pressure alone does not mean a thing, and in fact can be detrimental to system design parameters, with regards to flow, heat transfer, etc.

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2012, 12:36:04 PM »

Pressure and flow are two different things.  You can only move a set volume of oil through the engine, regardless of pressure, depending of course on the design of the orifices that provide oil to the various components. If you have a pinhole sized orifice to push the oil through, there is a point at which the amount of pressure will make absolutely no difference in the amount of oil going through the hole.  The shape of the hole also makes a difference.  I would maintain that 10-12 PSI at idle on a HD engine is gracious plenty of pressure, and 30 PSI at 3K RPM would be as well.  Excess pressure just results in bypassing.  It makes people feel better to see more pressure on the gauge, but whether it is necessary or even a good thing is a different matter entirely.  After working for many years on systems that used extremely large pumps to get chilled water through closed loop building systems, I can tell you with certainty that increased pressure alone does not mean a thing, and in fact can be detrimental to system design parameters, with regards to flow, heat transfer, etc.
TC, you're just trying to confuse us with the facts.  If we want to worry about not having enough oil pressure, you are not going to change a thing with your very good explanation of this situation.  (but it does make me feel better for a bit, anyway)  :) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2012, 12:39:52 PM »

The 5 psi(or less)  in my old shovel was plenty to get it squirting out all over...shoulda never capped the chaim oiler off... :P

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »

Thanks

I have a 2012 SESG with the same issue. It has 13,000 km (8,000 miles) on the engine. It has been like that since about the 1000 mile mark when I started having oil pressure and oil temp problems. It recently got a new crank, pistons, rings, cams, and lifters. It had been to the dealer 4 times before they contacted Harley and removed the motor for inspection. It still has the same noise as it did even with a rebuilt motor. It drives me nuts but as long as it runs and has normal oil pressure, that's all I can ask of it. You may just have to live with it.
Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, Power Duals, FP3 Tuner

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2012, 07:24:42 PM »

Yea, the problems people are having with their engines with regards to lifter failure, oil pressure, etc, etc, etc are not related to pressure issues, or the ability of the stock pump to deliver enough oil, OR the type of oil one is using if it is a high quality synthetic...it's more about wobbling cranks, poor metallurgy, and cheap assed parts.  It seems like it's becoming a given in the HD Universe that lifter replacement, and while you're in there, cam bearing replacement, is going to be at least a one time thing 80% of us are going to have to do at some point in time, if we keep the bikes long enough.  That's shameful.  But, if you want to play, it seems you've got to pay.  If mine makes it to the point of nearing the ESP period, I'll just take the damn thing apart and do the necessary parts changing to keep it going for as long as I can ride it.  I won't ever say never, but this is likely my last Harley...for one, I really like this bike, and two, I'll probably never be able to afford another one.  And then there's always that pesky age thing....

TTS Mastertune

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2012, 03:09:10 PM »

My 2012 FLSTSE3 B-motor has the same issues, the dealer can't / won't do anything yet. 10,750 miles and it hasn't blown up yet. So that being said, guess I will ride out the warranty period and see what happens. I don't hear it with my helmet on and ear plugs. :nixweiss:

HD QC has really gone down hill since my 2002 FLHRSEI 95" - might be time to look at Triumph ?  :2vrolijk_21:

WD
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2015 BMW F700GS

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2012, 03:51:08 PM »

Just came back from an 1800 miles run to Florida. I'm convinced that this motor will not last too long. At 19,000+ miles the noise from this motor is shocking. It's basically a box of clattery bolts.

When you're concerned your vehicle will not make a long trip you begin to question keeping the machine.

My next bike will not be a Harely Davidson. It's too bad that I will no longer buy an American Made motorcycle. I think I can step out of the "biker world" to ride something that will not make me wonder if it's going to stay together.

BMW and Honda are on the short list.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

06cuse

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 01 FXDWG2 Traded to FlaHeatWave
    • CVO2: 06 FLTHCUSE 93k & Traded on a 10 FLHTK 73k traded on a Skunk
    • CVO3: 12 FLTRXSE Rollin Hard
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2012, 05:20:05 AM »

After 30 HD's gotta say a bit flustered on this one ~ the 12 RGC CVO has a new Tick from the rear head. I have a 10 Ultra with a 103 and 71k on the clock, had an 06 SE Ultra with 93k on the clock ~ yes I bought em new and put all of the miles on them. Both of the ultras were not uncommon for me as far as miles ~ Sold RK's that had never had a single issue just below the 100k mark... So I have had the Skunk less than two months and I have 6100 miles on it and yesterday a new Tick... I double checked heat shields, and anything else that might be a minor/quick fix... Then I dig around the tool box and find my Stethescope... Yep, Rear Cylinder ~ No codes thrown, great oil pressure ~ just a new tick. The dealer had the bike 8 months (his demo) and had 110 Stage III'd it. So it has 10.5/1 Pistons/Rings/259e's and unfortunately the "perfect fit" push Rods. On both of my 103's I had the rear exhaust valve guide come at 40k/80 on the SE Ultra and at 30k on the 10 Ultra LTD. The 10's Heads were the Replaced with FM type b's, 777's, Feuling Camplate/Oil Pump.... No more issues. I have an appointment with the boutique today to resolve the issue and the dreaded 35-40 mph handlebar wobble. Took everything I could do yesterday not to disassemble my top end. I built the motor in my 10 and enjoy the work. Do all my own work since everytime someone else touches it I have to resolve the issues they have caused. I am not impressed with most mechanics attention to detail or lack of using a torque wrench on a fastener in sequence... So I have a Noticable New Tick ~ Not in the Primary ~ had four compensators replaced on the 10 so the compensator/primary noise is one I am familiar with. According to the Stethescope it is originating form the Head/Jug of the Rear Cylinder. I will keep ya posted on the boutiques conclusion. Since they do not ride 30 -40k per year their sense of urgency does not normally meet my standard, guess we'll see. A bit flustered at this point and hope the 110 meets my expectations, overall the 103's did a good job, sad thing is that I have meet evo owners on baggers that have never been into the motors with six digits or more on the clock. The Evo's I rode I never had to go into... I understand the new emission standards but you would think for the money we all spend on these things that the MoCo could at least put a quality product under our tails. I should not have to add aftermarket items and or Screamin Eagle parts to make my motor more dependable.... On a side note I have already sent a set of 110 heads to Jamie at Fuel moto to rework, my thought was when I hit the 30 to 40k mark next year I would have a set ready to bolt on... Did not realize I would not even make 7k on the clock.... I love this RG, and worse case scenario I can and will install a 120r or upgrade the components I have in the 110 till it is at least as quiet as my 103's
2012 FLTRXSE Skunk S&S 124/HPI 66, PV w A/T Pro~ Chopped Tour Pack, Lowers, 11" Tinted MadStad, S&S Power Tune Duals, Daymaker LED's, Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector, Fork Baffle, Pro 940's & Pro Monotubes, Baker DD7, Zumo 660, Vulcanworks Solid Sproket, Barnett Scorpion, Jaggs 10 Row oil Cooler w/Fan, Hayden M6.

06cuse

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2012, 05:23:09 AM »

So the Skunk sits at the boutique ~ here is the short of it ~ Fist Fight to get them to Adjust the neck bearings (we'll see if the wobble gets resolved) won't know if I won that one or not till I pick it up. They tried to explain to me that is a maintenance issue and I should pay for it. I politely explained to them it was a safety issue and I would not be paying for it ~ I would do the work myself before I paid.... Round two ~ tech diagnoses bike with "Excessive Valve Train Noise from rear cylinder. My guess is the got that from me ~ anyhow they seen to think I have a lifter issue ~ I'm not so sure on this since my stethoscope said it was a valve/rockerarm/or pushrod... But I am awaiting the tear down so they can resolve and get me riding again. Crazy thing is I rode 20 miles there and no loss of power ~ so kind of interesting. Could be a lifter just would surprise me ~ the other discussion was over the Stage III ~ they had to verify with the VIN that the bike was still eligible for the factory/extended warranty with the work being completed at the dealership it was purchased from... The skunk was the dealer's demo so I was confident the paperwork was all correct, And fortunately for me the dealer demo I purchased the administrative work had been done appropriately ~ I'll keep ya posted ~ SemperFi

So the call comes ~ replace lifters ~ slight improvement ~ So next week we go into the Cam Cover and see what else is amiss ~ even to loud for the boutique to turn it loose ~ now I'm thinkin ~ Billet Camplate/Hi Flow Oil Pump/Hydraulic Lifters/Screamin Adjustable Push Rods since we are there... We'll see what the verdict is....

Constant ~ Cold Hot all RPM's ~ I am on my 30 HD and had many TwinCams ~ never heard a racket like this ~ way beyond normal.... My 103 in the LTD makes a little racket ~ sounds like a typical HD ~ this one sounds way different and is definitely a new noise ~ SemperFi

Constant ~ Cold Hot all RPM's ~ I am on my 30 HD and had many TwinCams ~ never heard a racket like this ~ way beyond normal.... My 103 in the LTD makes a little racket ~ sounds like a typical HD ~ this one sounds way different and is definitely a new noise ~ I suggested a leakdown test but apparently parts swapping is a more efficient method of diagnosing...
2012 FLTRXSE Skunk S&S 124/HPI 66, PV w A/T Pro~ Chopped Tour Pack, Lowers, 11" Tinted MadStad, S&S Power Tune Duals, Daymaker LED's, Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector, Fork Baffle, Pro 940's & Pro Monotubes, Baker DD7, Zumo 660, Vulcanworks Solid Sproket, Barnett Scorpion, Jaggs 10 Row oil Cooler w/Fan, Hayden M6.

06cuse

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2012, 05:27:38 AM »

I went to a boutique on the 06 when the second head went on the 103.  The einstein 25 year old looks at me and informs me that all 103's make noise ~ I politely informed him that I had purchased the bike new and had through sheer determination and stupidity put all 80,000 miles on the clock and was confident I knew how the bike should sound ~ so at the boutique yesterday when I mentioned a stethoscope and a leak down test the Service Director & Service Writer both had the deer in the headlights look ~ worst part is our lives are in the hands of the boutiques that push mechanics to generate profits on each and every job.  Attention to detail and pride in workmanship is for the most part gone in the dealerships ~ only positive note is that after installing a new set of lifters that I did not need they decided not to return the bike to me because the problem was only slightly improved and not completely resolved ~ I am confident I have a Slighty bent valve ~ maybe only a few degrees ~ a leakdown test would confirm this ~ however they are going to tear into the cam chest only to discover that the CVO RG probably has an issue with a valve ~ I could be wrong and hope I am ~ a new head would have to come from the MoCo if I am correct and could take a week or two ~ my guess at this point is that I am correct ~ I have the service manual and read it ~ not sure if they do.... O Well ~ I'll get it back when I get it back ~ anytime I have an issue the bikes seem to end up with better/longer lasting components in them.....  I like big power combined with dependability ~

06cuse

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2012, 07:20:17 PM »

So the Skunk sits in my garage ~ My life is back to normal:)  The final Diagnosis after replacing the lifters was the Cam Drive Retention Bolt Sheered off ~ This is the bolt that hold the large sprocket when you are looking at your camplate.  The Bolt was sheered at the lower end way up in the Camplate ~ so the remainder of it had to be drilled out ~ the bike is quiet again and runs great ~ took it about 80 miles to double check.  Thanks for the support and ideas ~ once again I heard " We've never seen this before "...  When the bolt was removed you could not tell it was missing the last 3/8 of an inch at a glance.  The Tech had another tech come over to assist in finding the problem.

Dryer

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2012, 01:24:29 AM »

They are picking my krypto bike up tomorrow.  3200 miles on it and between 2500-3000 rpms it sounds like it going to come apart.  It is backfiring really bad on decel now and it has never done that till recently.  Nothing has been changed on the bike since I had it tuned at 250 miles.  Ill let you know the out come.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2012, 11:15:53 AM »

backfiring on decel sounds like you have an intake leak.   :nixweiss:
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »

What kind of oil r most of u running? I've heard all synthetic oils have a much lower sulfer content than dino oil. I think the sulfer content helps to muffle some of the noises some of u speak of. I understand we all like the best for our bikes & synthetic takes more abuse, but if a car can run on cheap dino oil for thousands of miles ... y can't a harley engine do the same? Yes I know these r air cooled & run hotter, but all oils break down after time ... even synthetic. Y not try some cheap dino oil for a bit & see if it helps ... can't hurt anything to try plus oil changes would be cheaper.

I run redline in mine & it has the typical valvetrain noise too, but nothing drastic. I was gonna try some cheap stuff next oil change for the hell of it. I heard about this over at bobistheoilguy.com & forget all the details, but figured I'd give it a try once.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Puck

• Full CVO Member
  • LIVE FREE OR DIE......

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC vivid black...45" sissy bar & 18" 1.5 apes
    • CVO3: 2008 xl1200c bobtail,low riser,gauges,lowered,tuned,fast as hell
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »

I was going to try to replace a quart with a quart of Lucas oil treatment....that stuff is great and real thick...prolly work wonders on these noisy bastards....

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2012, 06:16:55 AM »

S&S lifters,(they are our choice) with an adjustable pushrod to pre-load the lifter correctly, seems to quiet these up.
Just what we witnessed, FWIW.
Scott

hbens

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2012, 08:24:29 AM »

I use the Redline products in the primary and transmission. Mobil1 synthetic in the crankcase because I bought a case of it dirt cheap during an AutoParts/Parts America sale.
The Redline transmission fluid with Shockproof is the most noticeable  change. The clunk in gear shifting is gone. I was impressed by how this stuff sticks to the measuring cup I use. It is still all over the sides of the cup 2 weeks after the oil change.

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »

S&S lifters,(they are our choice) with an adjustable pushrod to pre-load the lifter correctly, seems to quiet these up.
Just what we witnessed, FWIW.
Scott

Are you adjusting them to 4 turns with the S&S pushrods (or say screamin eagle)?

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2012, 01:22:36 PM »

Are you adjusting them to 4 turns with the S&S pushrods (or say screamin eagle)?

Pushrods with 32 TPI...........4.6 turns= .142.6"(.031" per turn)
Pushrods with 24 TPI...........3.3 turns= .142.8"(.042" per turn)
Travel limiter-equipped lifters as per instructions.
Scott

Trainwreck

« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2013, 02:26:31 PM »

I have a 2010 110 SE on a Electra Glide CVO. It has the slight ticking noise while idling but it does not bother me. I have extended warranty.  I love this bike and the 110. Its a rocket and the bike is exceptionally comfortable.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »

Turn up the radio  ;)
Do it now!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 20 queries.