Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Author Topic: Chrome problems??!!  (Read 12239 times)

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
Chrome problems??!!
« on: April 06, 2004, 08:56:31 PM »

Well, I was handwashing my bike a couple of days ago, and was rubbing the wheels down with a microfiber cloth and water (such a caustic substance).  All of a sudden the chrome started peeling off in large pieces from the ($1000) wheel.  I about had a heart attack.  I have noticed for a while that the front right floorboard is wrinkling right next to the rubber strips.  Geeeez.  I guess you get what you pay for right?!?  Anyway, it will be covered, and the guy at the shop who has a twin to my bike says he had a bad mirror also.  Says it's hard to get the chrome process just right.  C'mon.  

Sooooooo...everyone please check your chrome.  See if there is a pattern in our bikes.  I hope there is not, but you never know.  I thought in the back of my mind that maybe it was some salt that I got into, but the rear wheel is fine.  That gets much dirtier than the front.  The only piece I've ever had peel before was an aftermarket chrome dash on my '99 Road King.  So this PISSES ME OFF!!!

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&b
Re: Chrome problems??!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 09:22:45 PM »

So far I haven't noticed any chrome problems on the bike itself.  However, I have the King Tour-Pak and have a chrome side light cover that is discolored.  It will be replaced, but, if you have a King Tour-Pak...check that too!
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 09:25:59 PM »

My bike was delivered October 2003 with peeling chrome on the front wheel. How come Pm can get it right and HD can't they're the same price now...right!!!! [smiley=confused5.gif]

Keepinit2

• Yeah baby!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 08:22:17 AM »

A buddy of mine had the same exact problem with the chrome coming off his front wheel on his SEEG and HD replaced the wheel. Could be something going on here? No problems on mine except the paint on my inner fairing came off in the bottom right hand corner. About 2" just peeled off when I was washing it. AGHHH! Anyhow, contacted HD and they are going to replace the entire inner fairing. A Newbie here, GREAT SITE!!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 08:28:25 AM »

Keepinit2 welcome to the site, you will find a wealth of info here from a group of great people.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 09:42:07 AM »

A buddy of mine had the same exact problem with the chrome coming off his front wheel on his SEEG and HD replaced the wheel. Could be something going on here? No problems on mine except the paint on my inner fairing came off in the bottom right hand corner. About 2" just peeled off when I was washing it. AGHHH! Anyhow, contacted HD and they are going to replace the entire inner fairing. A Newbie here, GREAT SITE!!

Just wanted to welcome you to the board.

No, no chrome peeling.  Sounds to me like it's contamination prior to the chroming process.  The acid bath didn't do it's job.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 09:57:45 AM »

Not on the SEEG (yet?) but I just took the Deuce off the storage stand (BTW, it may be expensive but it is great...the casters make it easy to move the bike around)

back to the issue, I left the chin spoiler on, which meant the stand was contacting the trailing edges under the frame.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 09:58:11 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 12:39:28 PM »

My bike was also delivered in October 2003 with chrome peeling off the front wheel in an area about the size of a dime.  I did not make too big of a deal about it just figuring that whoever mounted the tire did something wrong to cause it.  But now it looks like there is a trend here with the front wheels?!

The worst part for me is, six months later and I still don't have a replacement wheel.  The dealer is giving me some (apparently BS) story about all of the wheels being needed for production, so I won't see mine for awhile, but it sounds like some of you or people you know have already had their's replaced.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 03:35:03 PM »

thunder, sounds like a load of bull to me, the dealer by me has about 1/2 a dozen of those rims on display!!! [smiley=shocked2.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 04:45:14 PM »

I'm agreeing..... six months is more than patient enough.  Call HD Customer Support.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 05:46:42 PM »

Will do.  Do one of you guys have a number, or where do I find?

Patience is one of my virtures, but finding out that that's been taken advantage of will get me sideways with these guys in a hurry.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 11:35:24 AM »

Never mind.  Found the number on H-D's website.  I'll talk with the dealer one more time today and then call if I have to.  Check back here for updates on the saga.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 01:09:58 PM »

Thanks for the info guys...Wish I were alone, but glad I'm not.  

roadkingmike

• 5200 miles &amp; loving it
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 04:59:22 PM »

Have same problem with front wheel and all floor boards - Dealer has replacements on back order now.  Thanks, Mike

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 07:02:33 PM »

UPDATE . . .  My wheel is now on its way.  Supposedly ( [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=confused5.gif] [smiley=confused.gif]), the part number changed since the original warranty claim went in which caused the delay.  Parts dude says it will be here by the end of the week.

Will keep a close eye on the floorboards.  No problems yet!  [smiley=nervous.gif]

starvin

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 09:25:17 PM »

Thanks to you guys I have been keeping a very close watch on my chrome. My wheels look fine but i noticed a little imperfection on the left floor board. upon further inspection I noticed the chrome was bubbled, so i rubbed it and sure enough it started peeling off. Looks like a trip to the dealer tommorrow. Can't wait if he says no one else has had any problems I'll show him this thread. At least floor boards are easy to change out.

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2004, 10:02:23 PM »

Yo All,  My Eagle landed in January but it was in warm storage till couple weeks ago when the weather started to come around.  Have 800+ miles on her and while cleaning this past Saturday noticed both front and rear wheels having chrome peeling problems.  Now this is not a mounting miscue as the areas of concern are on the spokes near the center hubs.  So far the boards look ok except for where I have drug them on the bottom.  That lowered suspension looks cool but rides a tad rough and takes away the lean angle.  Glad I looked here and saw I am not alone with this problem.  Will get her up to the dealer for a look see in a few.  Great Board!  Awsome bike.  
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2004, 08:39:30 AM »

Welcome aboard 103eagle you will find very good and useful info here from a great group of people.   [smiley=biker.gif]

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2004, 09:33:35 AM »

103 Eagle welcome to the board.

I just sent an email off, to my contact at HD, to see if he can shed any light on the chrome issue and in particular, if they have a handle on it now.  So far, I have 2,000 miles on my bike and no problems yet.

West Coast GTG   

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2004, 09:54:21 AM »

Thanks JCZ...I'm glad I spoke up about this.  Maybe we'll get some answers soon.

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2004, 09:51:07 PM »

Thanks for the welcome and yes there sure is a ton of great info here.  Stopped at the dealer today and got a tad upset.  They gave me some excuse about brake dust and such.  I had to leave before I got too upset.  They told me to bring the bike in and they would look at it and take some digital pictures so they could send them to HD.  I've only  had the bike home and on the road for 3 weeks when I noticed the peeling.  What an insult to even consider that 3 weeks of brake dust could cause chrome to peel off!  I wash my bike at the first spec of dust .  Ok , done venting....lol, will let you know what happens asap!
Thanks again
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

starvin

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2004, 11:14:29 PM »

hey eagle do what I did, when they tell you that no one else has had any problems with chrome peeling, ask to use thier computer and punch in this thread... you'll be surprised how differently they talk then.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2004, 08:35:44 AM »

Well washed and waxed it yesterday and everything looks good so far.  Sometimes its good to vent a little   [smiley=veryangry2.gif] hope it turns out ok LOL.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2004, 09:15:04 AM »

Anyone know if I can use a razor blade to remove the warning sticker on the front engine guard without scratching the chrome?
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2004, 11:56:45 AM »

Yes, you can.   Carefully.

I did it on my Road King on both rears...it works great.  Just watch the angle of the blade to the tube.

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2004, 08:44:58 PM »

OK follow up, went to the dealership today and was not happy.  Found a paint defect on my new tourpak that took 10weeks to get!  Had not installed it yet so I took it up for a look see and discussed my chrome problem as well.  They forgot to follow up on it but since I was breathing fire they decided to do it right then.  One phone call to and HD admitted to them of a problem and said to order me 2 new wheels ASAP!  So no idea how long it will take but at least the MOCO admitted fault and hopefully have solved the problem.  Someone else mentioned the wheels have a new part number now.  As for the tourpak, well they are getting me a new one and if they can't provide it in a resonable timeframe I can use the defective one and turn it in when the new one arrives!  I feel better bout the MOCO now.  At least they are trying to resolve my issues.  Too bad the dealer drug their feet on it.  Later All!

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2004, 11:42:18 AM »

Well, I guess that's the first official unofficial word that there is a systemic problem with the chrome.  Thank God for message boards and communication.

bostonut

• Junior CVO Member
  • feelin satisfied
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2004, 02:21:12 PM »

@000 miles on mine now and now the chrome on both front and rear is pealing. My right front lower is also getting into the paint on the fender.....bummer. I'll check the floor boards and the rest of my chrome now......
other toys

1969 Firebird 400 conv.
1974 455 Firebird Formula
1977 CanAm
1989 20th anniv. Turbo Trans Am

Jackhd

• Full CVO Member
  • many happy miles ahead
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2004, 05:32:52 PM »

About 650 miles on my orange and black. Have kept a pretty close eye on chrome and paint-no problems. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2004, 06:06:40 PM »

Here's a photo of my front wheel.  Does this look about like what the rest of you guys are seeing?  Size-wise, it is about the diameter of a nickel and hasn't gotten any worse since Day 1 which was October 12 of last year.  So far my rear wheel and floorboards still look perfect.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2004, 07:15:08 PM »

Yes, that is what it looks like.  Except mine is getting MUCH worse.  They are replacing it, but have to order it for me.  Now I saw that my rear one is peeling too.  GREAT!  Looks like new wheels all around for me.  Maybe it's getting worse because the faster you go the more the air catches loose chrome and pulls it off.  In that case, it should all be gone by now!  Haa

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2004, 08:20:35 PM »

OK...here's where I stand after washing today.  Both wheels need to be replaced, along with the right floorboard, which already was, and now the right rear floorboard is starting to bubble again.  Geez.  What is the deal here?

zwild

• Bad to the bone!
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2004, 08:42:06 PM »

I was washing mine the other day & the chrome started peelin off the front rim boy was I p'd off [smiley=furious.gif], went straight to the dealer and they said they'd replace it no problem. They said it happened to another SEEG owner but it was the rear rim... Keep your eyes open for this.
04 FLHTCSE Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide, HD EFI race tuner, SE high flow air cleaner, V&H True Duels w/oval slip-ons, & lots of extra goodies. dyno tuned # 96 hp & 100 ftp tourque, not bad for a stock ride!
83 FXWG 93ci stroker, cus

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2004, 11:07:30 PM »

Had my front wheel replaced today.  Hopefully, this new rim will be waranted if the chrome starts peeling off of it, too! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

fxrmonsterle

• My FLHTCSE

• CVO1: FLHTCSE04
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE07
    • CVO3: FLHXSE2 Cryptonite
    • FXRMONSTERLE
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2004, 03:19:51 AM »

Had my front wheel replaced today.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2004, 08:03:49 AM »

fxrmonsterle, a photo of my original wheel showing the area where the chrome was peeling off is at the bottom of page two of this thread.  So, take back your: [smiley=worthless.gif]

[smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 08:05:48 AM by 103tHunDer »

zwild

• Bad to the bone!
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2004, 10:35:21 AM »

Mine started peeling in the center by one of the spokes. I don't know if this is common to all wheels
04 FLHTCSE Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide, HD EFI race tuner, SE high flow air cleaner, V&H True Duels w/oval slip-ons, & lots of extra goodies. dyno tuned # 96 hp & 100 ftp tourque, not bad for a stock ride!

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2004, 09:40:15 AM »

No real need for pictures...you will know.  When you see large chunks of chrome laying on your garage floor, and there is unpolished naked metal on your wheels or floorboards, you have a problem.  BE EXTRA careful if you are wiping the wheels down.  A piece of chrome in your towel could scratch the S*&T out of the paint.  And that would probably NOT be warranty covered.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2004, 02:13:48 PM »

Started a poll out of curiosity to where the chrome problems are isolated to.  Thanks.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2004, 04:12:47 PM »

Hey, yeah, I thought that was new but then wondered if I might be losing my mind [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nervous.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2004, 11:59:41 AM »

Well, here's a new one: the heel shifter on mine is starting to flake on the top in the thin part where it slides over the shaft.  When the bike was about two weeks old the stupid thing got loose and nearly rattled off the bike before I figured out what what making all the racket.  When I tightened it back down I tried to take it easy because I was afraid it might stress the chrome there, but it seems I must've overdone it, anyway.

I'm not the one who replied "Other" to the poll, though, so where else are folks having trouble besides the "normal" wheels and footboards?

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2004, 12:09:18 PM »

By the way, my dealer got me a new front wheel pretty quickly, but said that rear wheels are on back order, and they have no idea when they will be ready.  Bad news...and indication that this problem is getting worse before better.  JCZ, and news from your source yet on the nature and depth of this problem?

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2004, 09:55:46 AM »

Well...thankfully it looks like so far the chrome problems aren't nearly as widespread as they could have been.  Up to this point, there have been 53 responses to the age of SEEG owners, and only 14 responses to what chrome parts are peeling.  And the peeling chrome allows multiple votes, so there are fewer than 14 people who have responded so far.  Excellent.  I hope that it stays this way.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2004, 11:18:42 AM »

By the way, my dealer got me a new front wheel pretty quickly, but said that rear wheels are on back order, and they have no idea when they will be ready.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 11:19:21 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2004, 11:52:26 AM »

Well, that's great for yours.  I hope that it stays that way.  Thanks also for the update.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2004, 12:18:25 PM »

OK...I was notified yesterday that my rear wheel is in after being on back order.  I have an appointment for tomorrow to drop off the bike and take my loaner for a day.  This better be done after they replace both wheels.  Anyone who voted OTHER in the poll...what was peeling?

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2004, 09:45:04 AM »

Man...driving a stock ultra REALLY makes me appreciate my SEEG.  What a DOG!

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2004, 10:47:46 AM »

Oh thank goodness that I got the wheels replaced finally.  I can't believe how amazing the chrome wheels look when they are in good shape.  It's been so long.  I REALLY hope that HD has taken care of this problem.  Sorry to vent guys.

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2004, 09:26:53 PM »

5k miles just cleaned my bike sposta leave today didn,t make so it,s out the door 4 am to catch up-  and noticed front wheel chrome took a chit ,i hope rear wheel does too ..cause i plan to replace when i need new tires,brakes  no charge of course--i,ll make any inperfections work to my advantiage with  warranty -----still love this ride--------ak
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2004, 08:46:57 AM »

Add me to the chrome problem parade.  Front just started yesterday...I am also a member of the misting clutch club.

bostonut

• Junior CVO Member
  • feelin satisfied
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2004, 06:25:01 PM »

Just when I thought I was done with the problem......Now my rear boards are starting to peal !! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
other toys

1969 Firebird 400 conv.
1977 CanAm

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2004, 08:33:08 AM »

Has anybody talked to HD about the chrome problem,  If so what is there take on the problem,  just random or a serious problem or do they not admit its a problem at all.  [smiley=shocked2.gif]

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2004, 11:15:10 AM »

Hey people who votes OTHER...post here what the problem was.  Just curious and HD apparently reads this board.  It might help them realize what is going on.  Thanks.

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&amp;b
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2004, 10:13:57 PM »

Add me to the list as well.  Today I noticed the rear wheel is peeling chrome...bad!
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

nsrider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2004, 07:15:43 AM »

Rear wheel chrome peeling for me, noticed it when washing two days ago. called my dealer and taking it in on Saturday for them to take a look. Also told them HD shouldn't be suprised based on what I read here.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2004, 09:54:07 AM »

Any "Other" voters wanna fill us in on what they found wrong?  Many curious people here.

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2004, 07:14:10 AM »

my other vote=none.  Just wanted to see the results [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

96hog

• Let's Ride! Newbie Only Behind a Keybord!
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2004, 11:14:37 PM »

Stopped by the stealer today to get a new front wheel ordered.
With 700 miles on the motorcycle this should'n't be happening!
I really like to ride the scooter but Harley needs to tighten up on the QC
or they'll end up in the same situation as they were in the early eighties.
2006 Ultra Classic
2004 SEEG
1996 Heritage Softale

electraglidese

• Love to ride

• CVO1: FLHTCSE 2004
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2004, 12:44:35 PM »

I picked my flhtcse up in october of 2003 and sure enough i found the front rim and the back rim had chrome coming off. you might take the bags off and inspect the rear wheel real close. the top of one of the spokes had started to bubble on the rear wheel and on the front sheets of chrome came off. good luck they replaced mine.

zwild

• Bad to the bone!
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2004, 05:14:52 PM »

[smiley=furious.gif] Well I took mine in yesterday to have the front rim replaced while I waited. I live about 30 miles from the dealer so its a real pain to get somebody to follow me there and bring me home and take me back to pick it up again. ( No they don't have loaners!) So I scheduled them to check out a few rattles the bike has and to look at the peeling chrome on the floorboards. Oh!  [smiley=furious.gif] did I mention that the CD player took a crap!! It ate a CD... Yes! it ate a CD, the player would would skip or freeze up occasionally you would have to eject the CD then reinsert it to play again (does it with both store bought CD's and burned CD's) but any how the other night it did it again... when i ejected the CD it was really warm ok it was kinda hot so hot that it had peeled the metalic film off the CD!! [smiley=bigcry.gif] I listen to CD's mostly... I was bummin. The dealer said that they would replace the unit but they would have to send mine back first & I would be without one till the new unit came in. [smiley=argue.gif] I had a major attitude to say the least! Oh did I mention my day got even better when they told me the rim that I waited for 3 wks for was a rear rim & they are not interchangeable. [smiley=disappointed.gif] So I guess I'm done venting. They will not take the CD player out till the new one comes in & they will replace the floorboards and front rim all at once... so let see what happens next time wish me luck [smiley=wall.gif]

roadkingmike

• 5200 miles &amp; loving it
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2004, 03:14:04 PM »

Same problem-  peeling front wheel, front and rear floorboards-  Bought bike early Oct. 2003.  noticed peeling in Feb.  Dealer has replaced both.

Jackhd

• Full CVO Member
  • many happy miles ahead
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2004, 08:39:35 PM »

My back wheel chrome is also peeling, just noticed while I was cleaning it. 2254 miles. My orange and black is abt 2 months old.  Will notify dealer. [smiley=furious.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2004, 10:31:52 PM »

Jack, I think you're the first with O&B.  Peeling chrome on $1,000 MSRP wheels attached to a ~$30,000 MSRP bike just plain sucks![smiley=thumbsdown.gif]   Since the problem does not seem to have been corrected yet, I hope H-D stands behind our replacement wheels (and other assorted peeling plated parts), also.  I would hate to think that at some point I might be stuck with a defective wheel because somebody in Milwaukee notices the warranty $s adding up on this issue. [smiley=nervous.gif]

Jackhd

• Full CVO Member
  • many happy miles ahead
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2004, 08:08:48 PM »

Went to dealer today abt my peeling chrome back wheel.  They were real surprized.  Told them to check out this website.  They are ordering a back wheel for me.  No idea how long.  I will be watching my front wheel real close.   Jack

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2004, 04:20:23 PM »

Guys, found more bad chrome today in a place where I don't think anyone's mentioned, yet.  My upper transmission cover has about a dozen small bubbles in it.  Probably only a matter of time before they break open.  I tried taking some photos so you could see what I'm talking about, but the bubbles dissappeared in the picutures.  May try again later, but apparently, here's another place we all need to be checking.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2004, 09:01:49 AM »

What a bunch of crap.  I thought that we had it pretty much isolated.  Well, we'll see how widespread the chrome problems reach.  I updated the poll.  Also, has anyone had a replacement chrome piece start to peel?  I wonder if they are actually fixing the problem.

starvin

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2004, 06:22:10 PM »

Well I thought i was going to get lucky with just the one peeling floor board, but no I was just outside washing it thought i noticed a spot on the front rim and dam!! Called the dealer he said they would order one right away. at least i didn't have to bring the bike in. 2700 on my bike and i've been keeping a very close eye on the chrome so i know for a fact this just started in the last week.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 01:27:22 PM by starvin »

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2004, 09:01:01 AM »

I thought I was gonna miss the chrome problem but just noticed one of my front floorboards was pealing.
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

bostonut

• Junior CVO Member
  • feelin satisfied
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2004, 05:58:11 PM »

Left front mirror stem is now pealing ...add to
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 11:09:21 PM by bostonut »
other toys

1969 Firebird 400 conv.
1977 CanAm

FBurcaw

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2004, 09:34:17 PM »

My front wheel started peeling chrome at about 2000 miles.  Took it to HD dealer immediately and was told I was the third one they had.  They immediately ordered a new one and installed it one week later.  Will have to keep  close watch on it as well as rear wheel to see if any more peeling occurs.  This is hard to believe that we should be having these problems.  

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2004, 01:34:15 AM »

Well add me to the list!!  I was washing the bike on Sunday and notice a huge area of the rear wheel where the chrome was pealing.  Checked the front and floor boards but could not find any other problems at this time.  

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2004, 08:26:57 AM »

The wheels seem to be a big problem,  wonder what HD is thinking$$$

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2004, 10:47:48 AM »

Attention all new guys to the site who have or are getting CSE2s...check your chrome.  I would find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have this peeling chrome problem fixed by now...but then again, I find it hard to believe that they let it go on so many big $$$$ bikes in the first place.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2004, 06:40:56 AM »

Took the bike in to get the wheels replaced yesterday...both were peeling.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 06:41:20 AM by WFP »

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2004, 02:11:17 PM »

hd motor co. must read this site, they must have picked up on some of the 05 up grades from here. so hd if you see this post step up and do a recall on front and  rear wheels, for all 04 seegs,a credit would be great along with owners being able to keep stock defective wheels------regards ak

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2004, 05:27:54 PM »

The poll doesn't allow for "I have not had any chrome peel on my bike".  That's the one I'd have to click on.

West Coast GTG   

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2004, 05:39:08 PM »

The poll doesn't allow for "I have not had any chrome peel on my bike".

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2004, 10:40:49 PM »

Just heard from my dealer,new rear wheel is in. First one they've had. I told them it seemed a common from what i've seen on this site.The motor co. wasn't surprised. Only took about 10 days to get it.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2004, 11:16:53 PM »

Was cleaning the bike this morning prior to my ride and noticed that the front brake levor chrome was pealing!!  Had just spoken to my dealers service dept about the rear wheel pealing and now this.  Seems harley could have done a better job - this must be the reason they changed the wheels on the 05.

Johnnabal

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2004, 12:46:08 PM »

Add me to the list. For peeling chrome and blown front turn signal. Bike was built on 5/4. 4000 miles.

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2004, 11:25:50 PM »

I haven't noticed any chrome peeling on my bike.  I'll keep my fingers crossed, but now that I mentioned it I'll probably find some the next time I wash it.
12" HD 440s, Freedom pipes, Powercommander, detachable king tourpack, Fastaire 8" windshield, custom made Corbin heated seat and Hogtunes!

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2004, 01:07:42 AM »

Hey all. New to the Forum and to the new '04 orange and black SEEGlide which I've had about 1900 miles now. I've been riding Harley's since 1978 and others long before that. This is my fourth new Harley. I haven't seen any chrome problems yet but rest assured I'll start looking closer. I've already been told by the dealer that Harley won't cover moisture in the gas guage, which sounds like a crock to me. Hopefully I won't find chrome problems and have to jump through hoops to get them corrected. It does sound hopeful that some Forum members have gotten positive results from their problems. Needless to say that this Forum is very informative and a great place to find out about other concerns. Some other concerns I have with mine are:
excessive rear brake dust,
moisture in gas guage,
clutch makes a shattering noise and grabs about half-way out when moving from a stop,
ticking noise that sounds like an exhaust leak,
spark knock upon accelerating from a stop.
It seems that a lot of folks have similar problems and maybe it might help us all on the forum to list all of our problems when we make a post on the Forum, nothing elaborate, just a quick note so we could show the dealers when we are trying to get some help with these problems. Collectively, we could all make the Harley Motor Co. aware of these concerns also. I know I'm just a newbie here and I've gone on long enough, but just don't like to hear of anyone spending around $30K for these motors and getting the brush off from some dealers. Thanks
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2004, 08:02:14 AM »

MGB,
The problem with moister in the fuel gauge has been around awhile. I have an 03 Ultra and had an 02 Ultra.  Both of those bikes and my 04 SEEG have/had the same problem.  And you're right, Harley won't replace them under warranty.  It seems like they would have corrected the problem by now.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2004, 11:31:25 AM »

Well...after my 3500 mile trip, I had several issues that needed to be fixed.  I had the 5k service done, and they corrected all of my issues free of charge under warranty.

Here's what I had done...:
1. Air cleaner cover torqued off completely.  New air cleaner needed.  
2. New shifter levers...both had the splines broken off, and the front lever came loose in New Mexico.  That would have been ugly if I hadn't rigged it to work on the way home.
They said that the aluminum levers are not as hard as the steel shifter rod, so the aluminum splines wear away.  They said that this is normal.  But c'mon...6800 miles and new levers are needed?????
3. Starter clattering...tightened "jackshaft" nut and clatter seemingly went away.  Pike's Peak H-D master mechanic couldn't even hear the clatter.  Gave me some BS about SE starters are more powerful and that it is normal.  HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.  Idiots.
4. Squeak in fairing...they didn't even bother with it.  And really, it was last on my list.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2004, 12:05:41 PM »

This I too thought would have been the case...but the screws were loctite'd in.  I had to break them loose with the allen wrench, but the splines had still been stripped partially.  Here's my theory.  After years of riding different bikes, the last of which happened to be a 99 Road King, they fixed something in the tranny that doesn't allow you to shift down after 1st gear.  Used to be that I would get in the habit of checking my tranny position by extra downshifts, which were allowed in the old bikes.  Now, however, there is a tranny stop that doesn't allow the levers to move once you are in first gear.  This may have something to do with the strippage.  Dammit.  Dunno why they installed the stop.  I never had it before, and don't like it.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2004, 12:12:43 PM »

Be aware that there are no allen wrenches that fit these allen bolts in the toolkit that comes with the bike.  As a result, I had to ride a couple hundred miles home with my heel shifter loose.  I didn't use it (to prevent damage to the splines), but it sure was annoying to have to ride with it that way.  Was not loose enough to be able to slide off, just rattled.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2004, 01:10:27 PM »

Didn't even think of using the stock kit.  I always bring my own.  I guess I didn't realize it wouldn't fit.  Dumb.

dickie

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2004, 02:58:24 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on the loose shifter arms!!!!!!!

Detailing my '03 SERK (7K miles) this morning. Checked the shifter arms and sure enuff the inner one (toe shifter), was loose.
Outer one which I don't use was fine. A bit off blue locktite and re-tourqed. Wonder if the MoCo would cover damage to the shifter spline if damaged by the loose arm?!? [smiley=biggthumpup.gif].

Dang good idea for yall to check your bikes!!

Thanks.... RP

mfgreen

« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2004, 09:20:52 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on the loose shifter arms!!!!!!!

Detailing my '03 SERK (7K miles) this morning. Checked the shifter arms and sure enuff the inner one (toe shifter), was loose.
Outer one which I don't use was fine. A bit off blue locktite and re-tourqed. Wonder if the MoCo would cover damage to the shifter spline if damaged by the loose arm?!? [smiley=biggthumpup.gif].

Dang good idea for yall to check your bikes!!

Thanks.... RP
Although this is a SEEG thread, the loose shifter arms were happening with the SERK's as well.  Had both fall off last summer.  Not able to find them.  The dealership replaced them immediately after a 40-50mile ride in 3rd.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2004, 02:04:35 PM »

Although this is a SEEG thread, the loose shifter arms were happening with the SERK's as well.

mfgreen

« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2004, 04:39:56 PM »

[smiley=shocked2.gif]

mw8385

• Full CVO Member
  • Oh Yah!
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2004, 07:49:35 PM »

Add me to the list of peeling chrome! [smiley=furious.gif] The chrome on both tappet blocks is bubbling off. I have it at the dealer now for service. They are going to replace them but unfortunately there are none in stock! Also have oil seeping between the engine and transmission. It's not a bad leak but builds up a nice black streak at the junction of the two. My clutch reservoir has been leaking since I got the bike. They have tried twice to fix it. Now they are finally going to replace the gasket but none in stock! [smiley=furious.gif] Oh well, another day without my bike! [smiley=disappointed.gif]

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2004, 12:04:36 PM »

I have that dark streak too.....wondered what was causing it.

Fla_Eagle

• My Harley Hot Rod
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2004, 08:15:59 PM »

Hi Folks,
I'm new to this forum but certainly not to the chrome problem! To date I have had 10 pieces of hardware replaced, both wheels,all 4 floorboards(2 of them twice!!)the left mirror and the right exhaust tip.HD Customer Service said they were aware of the wheel problems but not the others and that my dealer must be covering them because they had no record and wouldn't cover them anyway. I'm grateful that someone was willing to stand behind this expensive product it's just to bad it isn't the manufacturer!! I'm afraid we may be experiencing the return of AMF !!!
Regards,Fla Eagle

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2004, 08:53:04 PM »

Hey, Eagle, welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 08:53:54 PM by 103tHunDer »

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2004, 10:07:28 AM »

When I bought my bike I was told that the bike and every accessory that was installed on it, if installed by the dealer at the time of purchase, was covered by a 2 year warranty.  In fact a complete list of the installed accessories was signed off by me and submitted by the dealer.  I would assume that this warranty would cover chrome problems.  Perhaps I better read the fine print.
Darrell

starvin

« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2004, 01:02:55 PM »

I had to replace the floorboard and the company not the dealer replaced it no questions asked, I find it hard to beleive that they do it for some and not for others. My only complaint is that the company just does'nt come out and say yeah we had a problem with the plating. They make it sound like your the only one with the problem.

hogasm

« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2004, 05:51:22 PM »

Harley has replaced my front wheel twice, real wheel once,primary once, transmission cover once, front floor board once[but is peeling again and my dealer said no more chrome replacement on this bike]. The front turn signal light bulb has been replaced 18 times. Harley is trying to determine the nature of this problem. Almost forgot, the rear shifter arm has fallen off 4 times and the front 2 times.   New march 20    17000 miles

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2004, 06:16:52 PM »

front floor board once[but is peeling again and my dealer said no more chrome replacement on this bike].

That is complete and utter bullchit.  And I'm not (necessarily) speaking to the regularity of problems.  They've already shown the accept poor chrome to be a warranty issue.  They can't deny the fact of a warranty failure just because they've already done it once (or twice or 18 times).  Bitch more effectively (i.e., loudly if necessary) and to someone higher up the food chain.

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2004, 11:24:36 PM »

It is pretty pathetic that you spend $30,000 and have so many problems with these bikes.  By 2008 Harley wants to build 400,000 bikes.  Maybe the Motoco should worry about quality and not quantity.
12" HD 440s, Freedom pipes, Powercommander, detachable king tourpack, Fastaire 8" windshield, custom made Corbin heated seat and Hogtunes!

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2004, 11:50:25 AM »

I definitely agree.  I have been pretty upset about having the repeat problems with the chrome.  And thru no fault of our own.  Thankfully, my dealer is covering my problems.  I only wish that others had the same deal.  This should be standardized and blanket coverage.  This only makes sense MoCo!!!

mfgreen

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2004, 02:13:01 PM »

AMEN

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member
  • I'd rather be twisting the wick!!!!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 Black/Blue
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTK
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2004, 10:02:30 PM »

Hello! I am new to this site and like what I see. Lots of good topics here. I just picked up an '04 SEEG (blue/black) and love it. This is my 4th bagger and the best one yet. I have the peels too and went to the dealer to see what they would do. I see this is not a lone case. I am awaiting their call and will post the results. I was told that it probably would be a one time deal. Great.  So far just a floor board and a mirror. Will check all the wheels next. Keep up the good work!

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2004, 10:11:38 PM »

kbiforce, welcome to the site.  Where's Union Grove?  Are you going to Tomahawk this weekend?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Brad

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2004, 10:27:57 PM »

About 11 west of Racine. I'm in between U.G. and Waterford. Going to Tomahawk Sat.  

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2004, 10:34:40 PM »

I'll be at Oaks Pub Saturday by 4.  Hope to see you there.

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2004, 10:41:33 PM »

I'll be looking for you. I'll look for the the other beautiful Blue/Black SEEG!

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2004, 01:39:25 AM »

Stopped at the dealer to make appointment to have wheel (rear) and front brake lever replaced for chrome problems, when I got home took the bike out of the garage to wash and I could not believe it - The clutch lever and left hand grip had peeling chrome!!  Guess I will have those address when I take it in Tuesday for the wheel and brake lever replacement.

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2004, 09:21:41 PM »

Went to one dealer on Fri. to ask about peel policy and they thought it was one time only. They would let me know. Went to another dealer and they said peel problems would be under the 2 years no matter how many times a part went bad. Corrosion would be one time only. Also the person I talked to at the second dealership said he has never seen or heard of peel problems until now. Does this version of warranty replacement seem correct to all of you out there who have been through this? Thanks.

mfgreen

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2004, 10:08:53 PM »

Went to one dealer on Fri. to ask about peel policy and they thought it was one time only. They would let me know. Went to another dealer and they said peel problems would be under the 2 years no matter how many times a part went bad. Corrosion would be one time only. Also the person I talked to at the second dealership said he has never seen or heard of peel problems until now. Does this version of warranty replacement seem correct to all of you out there who have been through this? Thanks.

What dealer is this??
This place might be a solution for a few owners in Wisconsin that are not getting any satisfaction.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 10:10:31 PM by mfgreen »

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2004, 10:51:56 PM »

Haven't found chrome problems yet with mine, but wondering if chrome problems exist only with CVO models. Does anyone know of others? I also have a '95 Eglide and shortly after delivery in '95, I found a bad chrome problem on the right side "crash bar/engine guard" or whatever it's called, it was changed out by the dealer, no problem at all. Hopefully, if I experience a problem now, it'll go as smooth. Other than that, I am not aware of any others. It does seem that if there are so many problems with chrome, that maybe all of us could contact Harley Motor Company. Even though I don't know a problem with mine YET, I tend to think that it's inevetable and I would be willing to contact them and just ask about there policy about the problem. Doesn't it seem that all the dealers should be treating this the same. P.S. I am also aware of a problem of Harley Motor Co. not covering a warranty on a chrome part because the bad part was not brought to the attention of the dealer with only 2 weeks left on the warranty. That does not make any sense to me at all. Does anyone know how to go about contacting the Motor Co. about this and making them aware of all our concerns? Thanks
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

mfgreen

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2004, 10:48:15 AM »

Haven't found chrome problems yet with mine, but wondering if chrome problems exist only with CVO models. Does anyone know of others? I also have a '95 Eglide and shortly after delivery in '95, I found a bad chrome problem on the right side "crash bar/engine guard" or whatever it's called, it was changed out by the dealer, no problem at all. Hopefully, if I experience a problem now, it'll go as smooth. Other than that, I am not aware of any others. It does seem that if there are so many problems with chrome, that maybe all of us could contact Harley Motor Company. Even though I don't know a problem with mine YET, I tend to think that it's inevetable and I would be willing to contact them and just ask about there policy about the problem. Doesn't it seem that all the dealers should be treating this the same. P.S. I am also aware of a problem of Harley Motor Co. not covering a warranty on a chrome part because the bad part was not brought to the attention of the dealer with only 2 weeks left on the warranty. That does not make any sense to me at all. Does anyone know how to go about contacting the Motor Co. about this and making them aware of all our concerns? Thanks

To contact the Motor Company directly, please write:

Harley-Davidson Customer Service
3700 W. Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208

To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer service representative call (414) 343-4056.
Sorry, we're unable to receive e-mail at this time.

Where are Harley-Davidson's U.S. facilities?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 12:15:58 PM by mfgreen »

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2004, 12:49:35 PM »

To post an update on the peels: All parts taken care of under warranty no problem. The first dealer who I talked to first still never called me back. Nice. I don't mind going out of my way a little to get good service.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2004, 05:43:52 PM »

MFG I have a question that I would think would be pretty simple, that you may be able to answer for me:  In 2004 why has Harley Davidson not stepped up to the email way of communication vs. snail mail?

Am I correct in assuming that you work for HD?  Are you at liberty to say in what capacity?  Just curious, on this.  Actually, guess I'm just curious on the email thing, too.......but it seems so "non user friendly" to us, the consumer.

West Coast GTG   

mfgreen

« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2004, 06:09:55 PM »

MFG I have a question that I would think would be pretty simple, that you may be able to answer for me:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 08:55:21 PM by mfgreen »

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2005, 05:50:59 PM »

OK, here's a bitch...I have already had both wheels replaced for bad chrome.  I assumed that the new wheels with the new part no. would be better.  Now as I was cleaning, wacing, etc. to put it up for the salty winter (just bought a car after 1.5 years) I found another bad patch on the front wheel.  Thank God for warranties...but what gives??  Geez.  Another $1000.  I'm going to check my rear wheel really good.  I wonder if they are both bad, if they would give me the diamond star wheels like the new bikes have...if I asked really nice.  I think the cost is the same...and it might save them having to replace them again.  Anyone have any problems with the Diamond Star wheels on the CSE2's?

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2005, 06:41:08 PM »

Doc...you may want to check the front of the forward floorboard support...bet you even money its flaking off also.  First sign of the problem is the appearance of a "sandblasted" finish.  In all probablility, the dealer won't be able to swap the wheels out as he is required to warranty part for part.  Bottom line is that HD follows the warranty replacement back to their supplier for credit on both the wheel and their labor at full shop rates.

darkvisorman

• Junior CVO Member
  • Shes Mine and Orange
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2005, 01:27:33 PM »

Just had a major clean up and have spotted chrome peeling from back and front, the back is a lot worse than the front, but its only a matter of time before the front catches up - down to the dealer later to get a warrantee claim in. [smiley=nervous.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2005, 05:14:08 PM »

Just had a major clean up and have spotted chrome peeling from back and front, the back is a lot worse than the front, but its only a matter of time before the front catches up - down to the dealer later to get a warrantee claim in. [smiley=nervous.gif]

Darkvisorman that's really sad......especially as long as you waited for that bike.  Seems like they'd have the chrome situation straightened out by now.

West Coast GTG   

SE-Dave

• Full CVO Member
  • &quot;AWESOME&quot;
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2005, 04:58:20 PM »

Went out to the Garage to wipe down "Ole Blu" low and behold the Front wheel is Flaking/Pealing away...... The Real wheel seems to have a couple of Pock/Pitting marks but not Pealing....Just Thought I'd share with the group. [smiley=beerchug.gif].
Hopefully the Dealer wont be a hassle [smiley=nixweiss.gif].
 Dave

SE-Dave

• Full CVO Member
  • &quot;AWESOME&quot;
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2005, 06:19:02 PM »

The weather was so nice out today, I drove up to the Dealer to let them check out the Chrome Flaking on My Wheels. It was a very painless Experience. [smiley=nervous.gif]
It took about 10 minutes and No Questions Asked Two New Wheels were ordered.  Just wanted to Share the info...... [smiley=beerchug.gif] S/E Dave

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2005, 06:25:04 PM »

I checked out the rear wheel on my buddys o4 seeg yesterday, and it has the dreaded peeling chrome. I took it to the dealer and they took one look and ordered a new wheel.
MObe

oddfirejeep

« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2005, 02:44:28 PM »

Howdy,
               Sure enough the chrome on the front and rear wheel on my 04 FLHTCSE was peeling. Thnks to this forum I did my inspection.... and there it was bigger than life. I also found out through this forum that subsequent replacement wheels were also peeling so I insisted on a different wheel set completely. believe it or not I was able to get a set of Thunderstar mirror chrome wheels, in lieu of the factory Detonator style. I know that for collectability purposes I made a compromise, but man due these new wheels look hot........ Thanks for all the good info.

Hugh murphy  02/19/05

mfgreen

« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2005, 02:54:36 PM »

Howdy,
                Sure enough the chrome on the front and rear wheel on my 04 FLHTCSE was peeling. Thnks to this forum I did my inspection.... and there it was bigger than life. I also found out through this forum that subsequent replacement wheels were also peeling so I insisted on a different wheel set completely. believe it or not I was able to get a set of Thunderstar mirror chrome wheels, in lieu of the factory Detonator style. I know that for collectability purposes I made a compromise, but man due these new wheels look hot........ Thanks for all the good info.

Hugh murphy  02/19/05

GLAD YOU CAME TO AN AMICABLE RESOLUTION WITH THE DEALER AND THE MOCO.
You know the drill, Hugh
[smiley=worthless.gif]

SE-Dave

• Full CVO Member
  • &quot;AWESOME&quot;
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2005, 04:16:10 PM »

Hugh,
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 04:17:01 PM by SE-Dave »
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 21 queries.