Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Tempted by Indian  (Read 24080 times)

ultrarider123

Re: Tempted by Indian
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 02:48:52 PM »

Well good for you, Doc.  Some may say otherwise but I believe it's a beautiful bike and, as you have stated, it is a joy to ride down the road.  Ain't that what it's all about?  Joy?  Glad you are joyful in the purchase, as you should be.... :2vrolijk_21:

JakeyL.

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 03:03:53 PM »

Congrats!   Beautiful bike, indeed.  My two cents (yeah from the new guy...so close now if that annoys you):   The new Indians made me reconsider my bike wants and needs going forward.  I was lucky enough to store a 2014 chieftain in my garage, as a friend prepped to move his family to Arizona .   I only did 300+ miles on the bike, but it was eye opening.   The new thunder stroke 111 is truly something to behold.  It's the sorta power that would require a bunch of extra bucks when purchasing a stock TC 103.   The Indian pulls like a freight train...  You can get down to 45-50 (without lugging) , and roll on to 100 in what seems like no time.  The motor, suspension, and amount of chrome, is an amazing value when compared to a similar priced Streetglide.  Hell, you would be forcded to compare it to a cvo considering what you're getting....,then the price differences get silly.

What I didn't like:   There's no doubt that the paint in NOT the historical quality of HD (and let's not get started about recent HD paint)...  The hand controls seem odd, like something you'd see on a Japanese cruser...  So yeah, that sucks.  I also have a difficult time with the aesthetics of that huge panel/space below the seat.  I'm sure the fringe helps cover a lot of that, but I don't like fringe.   So yeah, a lot of subjective stuff... But I don't buy a motorcycle for the same reasons I buy cages..

What excited the most though, is how great it is to have another American built motorcycle.  The last ten years have shown that Polaris is building a more sound and trouble free motorcycle (consumer numbers don't lie). from top to bottom.  I'm excited that this will continue to force HD to improve their product.. As for me, the whole experience pushed me to my planned purchase of a CVO..   I'm from the seventies/ 80's... I love my chrome..  And I'd rather buy a bike off the floor that only needs pipes an an air filter to gimme what I need.   So Yeah, Indian actually helped me (and the MOCO) in that regard.  But believe me, there's a lot of riders who are approaching their 30's and 40's, who won't have the patience, or extra cash, who may not stand for it any longer.  It's going to be fun seeing where this all goes.  What a great time to be a biker...  Hell, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it's a great time to be an American.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 03:51:43 PM »

Well we rode them Saturday and we all were impressed. I rode the Vintage and my wife the Chieftain. Her initial comment was that i bought one I would have to buy her one. My buddy and his wife tested the fully dressed Roadmaster and they liked it also commenting that it might outrun my CVO Limited and came with power locks and chrome for $10'000.00 less than Harley. Darn they are smooth riding and I swerved TOWARDS every holes instead of away like I always do just to test the thing out. Low end power is good and smooth and it feels like it does not lug much on low rpm acceleration.

I know this is a Harley forum and fully expect that most will prefer the Harley for all kinds of reason so to each his own but I bought one. Did not trade in a Harley just added Indian to the stable. Oh and the dealer was much more accommodating than any Harley dealer was when it came to the price negotiations. I told them they know how to sell. Will try to post the pic.

After you ride one it is much more difficult to be critical. I like Harley and appreciate "heritage" but a motorcycle is a thing that rides down the road not an idea or philosophy. Having three Harleys in the garage i proffered to mix it up a little.
As far as I can tell from the photo that looks a lot nicer than the solid colors. I got $3000 off of my current HD so I can't complain about the dealer as far as negotiations are concerned. Good luck, enjoy, and ride safe.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 04:18:38 PM »

Thanks for the Congrats gentlemen and yes time always tells if a choice was wise or not. I thin k they have come to play and they are not messing around. The adjustable windshield on the fairing bikes is neat and keeps you from buying several and then only using one.

Puma I have heard stories about soft paint and easy swirls but this one of mine is a one of one paint done in Knoxville. I expect it to be better than the factory paint.

SBB they feel fairly light and without having the primary sticking out and the center of gravity low they come up of the side stand very easily.

Ron I will let you know when Iu drive the thing your way and certainly would let you try it out. You may not want to however. ;)

I did mention to the sales manager that the dealer network is to small for some to be comfortable to buy and go out touring. He said they were growing rapidly. Time will tell again.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:24:24 PM by Dr.D »

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 05:19:14 PM »

Congrats on the new ride.

Friend I rode to Daytona this year bought a Roadmaster while there.  He rides a '13 SEUC and kept it.  He loves it so far.

The dealer custom paint program is cool.  They buy the bikes in primer so you don't have to buy 2 paint jobs for a custom.

National marketing director for Ride Now said that Indian is being very careful who they allow to be a dealer.  They want a strong network.  He also said that you can order parts thru a Polaris dealer - for now - but that does not help with warranty issues.

We also stopped by the Ohlins booth at Destination Daytona.  They had a Scout in the booth that Indian had given them for product development.  The rep told me that the Scout is intended as a price point bike - base for customization; great motor and transmission, but most of the rest of the bike is ready for your personal upgrades.  I asked if they were going to come out with anything for the big Indians.  "No need, it's already top of the line" was his answer.  Also told me that HD spends about $25 on the rear suspension of the touring bikes.  BTW, I have Ohlins front and rear on my SEUC.  Best 2.5K I ever spent.

My wife says I can buy an Indian when I sell two of the others - fair enough.  My SEUC has 98K miles, and I'm looking for a windshield only bike and the Vintage fills the bill nicely.  I had my eye on the Willow Green and Cream until I saw every 3rd Indian at Daytona was that color.
Spada84
NoSofa!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 05:20:51 PM »

Did not realize you bought it, congratulations and enjoy it. Keep us advised on the pros and cons if any.  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »

congrats on the new  :indian_chief: I do like the looks of the Indians and will probably one day do the same and add one. ride the whiz out of that thing and keep us informed. I assume you do not know that the same gent owns the shop  where you  bought your bike and the Harley shop next door and the metric bike shop also. hey congrats,again!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :pepper: :apple: :pepper: :apple: :pepper: :apple:

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 06:30:48 PM »

Congrats on the newest ride Dr.D!

I imagine the valvetrain is quieter than our HD 110's since the Indian 111 is a triple cam design with "softer" valvetrian (pushrod) angles.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:33:58 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 07:17:19 PM »

got a friend that just sold his 2015 street glide with less than 3K miles the local dealer could not fix the front end wobble so he sold it and now is lookinf to buy the Indian...

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »

Cam, actually green is a color of pee.

Green urine is urine that is green in color, though it also may be greenish-brown or greenish-yellow, and it may be cloudy or clear. A change in urine color may be temporary, or it may be persistent. The duration and course of green urine can vary widely, depending on the cause.

All I meant was the blue color was a Great Leap Forward from the photo shop version. I swear my uncle had a 57 Chevy that everyone called pee green in color.  Did not mean it as an insult or slam.

I hope the Indians turn out to be great motorcycles and a fierce competitor for Harley, they need one. I do like the looks of the one you posted.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:39:16 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 06:03:39 AM »

Nice !! Good Luck with the New Ride !!!
DND

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 08:18:14 AM »

Here is a picture of my friend's new Indian.
Irregardless of what the actual weight is, this thing is a monster

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 09:26:07 AM »

I swear my uncle had a 57 Chevy that everyone called pee green in color.
FWIW, being from the south and raised on a farm I've heard that term all my life.  But here it's pea green, as in the color of green garden peas, not pee green.  Maybe the spelling is causing some confusion, I don't know.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 10:22:45 AM »

Ha!  Looks Blue and Brown to me!  So much for my color perception, or maybe I'm just destined to always be different.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 11:08:27 AM »

FWIW, being from the south and raised on a farm I've heard that term all my life.  But here it's pea green, as in the color of green garden peas, not pee green.  Maybe the spelling is causing some confusion, I don't know.

Your right I did spell it wrong should have been pea.  However learned something  about the variations in the color of pee in the meantime.  :o
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 20 queries.