Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Lexi 117 ci Episode 6 of the Bike from Hell (Not a new 117 kit)  (Read 22146 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Lexi 117 ci Episode 6 of the Bike from Hell (Not a new 117 kit)
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2016, 09:03:13 AM »

I had the same thought Pete.  At least when Zippers zipped me, Sumax ruined a cylinder and Diamond Heads tried to out-Zipper Zippers for egomaniacal vendormania it all happened over the span of two attempts then ended with a great running bike.  His chit is like never ending chunky sand paper abrasive diarrhea.

I've never heard it put quite like this... Oh! So True!! Ignorant / Arrogant Bastids... I could add feuling to that list...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2016, 08:41:38 AM »

I have just under 700 miles on her since picking her up.  Seems to be all good.  Since Don's done the wormhole thing I should just relax. However I'll feel more comfortable after she passes the 7500 mile mark.  I'm going to ride her exclusively for the beginning of the riding season.  Still I can't neglect the other two, they'll pout.

JW

I won't see that kind of mileage on my 117 kit until mid 2017. Average 5000 miles per year.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2016, 04:08:36 PM »

I'm going to ride her exclusively for the beginning of the riding season.  Still I can't neglect the other two, they'll pout.

JW

Of for gawd's sake man don't piss off the other ones.  Been there and done that.  It's not pretty.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2016, 04:21:25 PM »

The Rev Perf cylinders are at my powder coater now.  Looking for a good matching color panel at the moment.  Got several close but he feels he can do better.  Here's a tip for you as your using these cylinders.  If you need to have them re-nikasil make sure they don't mess them up like they did mine.  Diamond Cut has been destroyed.  They used to be Granite.

JW

Jeff, did anybody make you aware that the the cylinders were going to be stripped, or did you just get the big surprise when you opened the box?

Can the Nikasil be replated without stripping the outside of the cylinders?

Was the Nikasil a root cause or did something else take out the Nikasil ?
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:28 PM »

Jeff, did anybody make you aware that the the cylinders were going to be stripped, or did you just get the big surprise when you opened the box?

Can the Nikasil be replated without stripping the outside of the cylinders?

Was the Nikasil a root cause or did something else take out the Nikasil ?

Ed

It was a very rude surprise upon their return.  Maybe it's just me but I would think if a set of granite cylinders that are diamond cut came in for repair a call would be made explaining what the process will do to the color and the diamond cut fins.  Apparently not.

I can not answer question 2 as the process was not explained to me, just a we can Nikasil the bore and it will be all good. 

I do not believe the Nikasil was the issue.  I'm not sure on the oil system routing in the V Twin.  But if I understood correctly, the cam support plate's movement interfered with the oil route such as to the piston cooling oil jets.  Lack of oil isn't good for any cylinders.

I can say that they cylinders had +6000 miles on them when I was running the TR 625.  Upon taking the motor down the cross hatch looked brand new.  I'm not blaming the Nikasil.  I'm just pissed about how they look after being repaired.  I need to call Andrew @ Rev Perf.  He seemed a good guy on the phone.

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2016, 10:06:19 PM »

Ed

It was a very rude surprise upon their return.  Maybe it's just me but I would think if a set of granite cylinders that are diamond cut came in for repair a call would be made explaining what the process will do to the color and the diamond cut fins.  Apparently not.

I can not answer question 2 as the process was not explained to me, just a we can Nikasil the bore and it will be all good. 

I do not believe the Nikasil was the issue.  I'm not sure on the oil system routing in the V Twin.  But if I understood correctly, the cam support plate's movement interfered with the oil route such as to the piston cooling oil jets.  Lack of oil isn't good for any cylinders.

I can say that they cylinders had +6000 miles on them when I was running the TR 625.  Upon taking the motor down the cross hatch looked brand new.  I'm not blaming the Nikasil.  I'm just pissed about how they look after being repaired.  I need to call Andrew @ Rev Perf.  He seemed a good guy on the phone.

JW

Then the new powder coating will completely cover the old diamond cutting.  So whatever bit of impact might still have been retained even from a contrast's perspective will be all gone.  You might have been better off just getting a new pair of cylinders, sending them out for diamond cut and calling it ready-to-go.  What a mess.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2016, 10:30:29 PM »

Maybe it's just me but I would think if a set of granite cylinders that are diamond cut came in for repair a call would be made explaining what the process will do to the color and the diamond cut fins. 

I would say that is inexcusable.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2016, 11:23:39 PM »

Yeah, I'm just speechless on this one...

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2016, 07:39:53 AM »

not that it matters now, due to the root cause of the cam plate not sealed up, wouldn't a oil pressure gauge have indicated a problem?? The idiot lights are................nevermind  :drink:

glad Lexi is happy now

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2016, 09:24:12 AM »

TN - I don't believe Road kings have oil pressure gauges??    Thought in stock trim were limited to speedo/ tach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2016, 11:27:54 AM »

TN - I don't believe Road kings have oil pressure gauges??    Thought in stock trim were limited to speedo/ tach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're so right Harry, but that wus just a round about way to talk about idiot lights and such. Do ya need more explanation? Cause I wasn't gonna say anything...... :drink:

But would a oil pressure gauge indicate that problem??

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »

Must of been the accent that was throwing me.   I missed the round about discussion.    With the flow of the newer pump even with an issue I don't know how much it was effecting the oil pressure.    I've always preferred a gauge myself even put one it he roadking fairing.

It's fixed now but an interesting topic    I suspect there was a slight loss of pressure but still enough volume as the bike still strolled decently and while my hearing is questionable I didn't recall hearing overly noises ticking from lack/shortage of oil.

I agree the gauge may have given some insight to an issue.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2016, 12:10:58 PM »

You're so right Harry, but that wus just a round about way to talk about idiot lights and such. Do ya need more explanation? Cause I wasn't gonna say anything...... :drink:

But would a oil pressure gauge indicate that problem??

TN

Maybe you can come up with a custom part, like your grips, that Jeff can use for an idiot light?  I'll leave this alone for now.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »

Pete you maybe be onto something there and got me thinking.  If you wrapped the cam plate with enough glow in the dark duck tape you just might have taken up enough  of the clearances that the oversized bolts may have fit right :).  Lol. 

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2016, 01:51:08 PM »

Pete you maybe be onto something there and got me thinking.  If you wrapped the cam plate with enough glow in the dark duck tape you just might have taken up enough  of the clearances that the oversized bolts may have fit right :).  Lol.

That might work with one of them clarity cam chest covers :-).  Phil is the expert so I think he needs to weigh in. lol
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 24 queries.