Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Dunflops  (Read 16817 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: Dunflops
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 12:53:10 PM »

Ridgerunr,

Did you get any info from contacting Dunlop that was different from my discussion with them? 

Guys you can do a Google search for scalloped tires and the amount of research that went into it, if you search you will find an abundance of info out there.  Yes there are many variables, and I do believe this should not occur with such regularity.  The study's used many different bikes using the proper inflation, alignment, loads, suspension setting etc. for each application.  The one common issue that affected scalloping for heavy bikes was riding style, the more aggressive you were the more likely you were to encounter scalloping on certain tires.  The lighter faster sport bikes suffered from accelerated thread wear, which is easily understandable.  I'm sure their are tire manufacturers that have tires that could solve our issues, the problem comes from size availability which keeps us married to a few available options.  We need more options for our wheel sizes.   

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »

Now that Metzeler offers a 180/55-18 rear tire, I'll be switching back to them next tire change
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 05:24:21 PM »

Ridgerunr,

Did you get any info from contacting Dunlop that was different from my discussion with them? 

Guys you can do a Google search for scalloped tires and the amount of research that went into it, if you search you will find an abundance of info out there.  Yes there are many variables, and I do believe this should not occur with such regularity.  The study's used many different bikes using the proper inflation, alignment, loads, suspension setting etc. for each application.  The one common issue that affected scalloping for heavy bikes was riding style, the more aggressive you were the more likely you were to encounter scalloping on certain tires.  The lighter faster sport bikes suffered from accelerated thread wear, which is easily understandable.  I'm sure their are tire manufacturers that have tires that could solve our issues, the problem comes from size availability which keeps us married to a few available options.  We need more options for our wheel sizes.

The way I roll, the Load Rating means a lot  :nervous: :nervous:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 08:05:33 AM »

Ray, Dunlop won't answer the email I sent them. I guess they think I'm looking for a freebie, I'm not. Merely looking for some insight.
As for aggressive riding, I agree that some cupping is inevitable. But to the extent that Dunlop HD tires do, no way. As I stated, Avons and Michelin, to the naked eye, didn't cup with my riding style. I ride the Dragon anywhere from 6 - 12 times a year. One of my friends rides it every day. This guy can ride, most young guys can't stay with him. He rides a Buell lightning and a bagger and one of those Yamaha adventure bikes.  He runs Michelin on the Harley and won't go back to a Dunlop. Your correct in that we need more choices. Avon it seems has no interest in making a 19" front for late model touring Harley's. If they did that would be my choice, as I've had many over the years.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 04:17:27 PM »

My current dunlop 407, 180-55-18, has 4,700 mi on it. Small amount of cupping but tread gauge says 4/32. I ran 42psi in this one. It will be the last 407 that goes on my bike, I just ordered a set of AE, delivered to my door for $360, I mount my own tires.

I was hoping to tryout the Michelins but I can't find a rear tire in my needed size. Maybe next time.

Glad we have some options now.

Ride On

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 04:59:42 PM »

For what it's worth - I'm on a '13 Road Glide and haven't had any cupping issues and I'm almost done with my third set of tires. That said, the next set will be Avon's as I do not like the way the Dunlops perform for me in the rain.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »

I'm gonna stick with Dunlop, no matter what, as that's the way I am......but out of curiosity, I'm gonna' call Jody tomorrow and see what comes on the New Police Baggers.  Back in the 16" days, OTIS ran those "run-flat" Police tires.  Something about a "B" rating or some chit about they were designed for "one-up" riders only.  I almost bought a set of 'em for Ol' Maudie, but never get around to it. If memory serves, they were very difficult to mount.  But if they are in fact safer, I would consider them when I tire up next time.  Seems like I remember too, that the local stealer here, wouldn't sell them to the general public.  'Course I wouldn't buy anything off that prick, if he did sell 'em.  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 08:20:19 AM »

Hubbard, the HD branded dunlop is the problem in my case, HD engineering at it's finest.  Lots of folks ride there bikes to and from instead of trailering.  :beatdeadhorse:

We'll see if you can keep up with the pack soon.

TN

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 10:37:25 AM »

Theses tires are crap, I'm on my 3rd CVO since 07 and all have the same issue. Its not the pressure and it may be the bikes who know. But we can all agree that its a crappy and a ridiculous price. I've never gotten more than 5k before it starts to make a bunch of racket and the handling goes away. Then its just a matter of how long you want to put up with it. Not sure about the New AE's but same manufacturer. What kind of idiot buys a motorcycle that only one tire will fit, oh that would be me!

BigLew 

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 09:02:05 PM »

while not expecting miracles with the AE, I do hope cupping issues are resolved. I've ran several avon cobras without cupping as the pirelli wore good also but I wanted the proper load rating so I could ride fat chicks.  :nixweiss:

again, it's good we have choices now.

Ride Hard

TN

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »

I agree, never had a cupped tire until my 2013 SERG. 40+ years of riding, multiple brands.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2016, 12:06:41 AM »

while not expecting miracles with the AE, I do hope cupping issues are resolved. I've ran several avon cobras without cupping as the pirelli wore good also but I wanted the proper load rating so I could ride fat chicks.  :nixweiss:

again, it's good we have choices now.

Ride Hard

TN

those look just like the 2 that I have sitting in my garage waiting to be switched out. 

did you get your $40 rebate?

https://dunlopmotorcyclerebates.com/Public/ExpressRebateEntryPage.aspx?q=VAITyDprirFfPpbo3dzP%2b0092%2bpswpbtgVhnMobHl%2blavM1IhYDz7Nkvg4ySUBSm
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2016, 10:37:14 AM »

Timing is everything, I think I missed it by a day.  :drink:

I'm not a coupon or rebate guy but the $40 would have been nice.

TN
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:40:36 AM by TN »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2016, 05:13:21 PM »

Timing is everything, I think I missed it by a day.  :drink:

I'm not a coupon or rebate guy but the $40 would have been nice.

TN
Certain Dunlops only and I don't know if the AE are eligible. That rebate is good through the end of May.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

CJB2011

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2016, 10:24:55 PM »

I just installed AE's on my 2014 CVO Road Glide. They seem to ride a little harder than the Night Dragons I had on the bike. I'll keep everyone posted. I have Dunlops on and changed due to cupping and vibration. I'm waiting on Michelin to make the 18' tire for the rear them I'll change both. Had Michelin's on my 2007 Electra Glide and had no problem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.