Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Stainless Steel Oil Filter  (Read 19127 times)

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
Re: Stainless Steel Oil Filter
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2007, 11:18:20 AM »

TC  that keeps it on the straight and narrow path to power :nixweiss:   Its cold and nasty here  and what does the dictionary come up with for micron now??  this:From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A micron (micrometre) is the measurement used in wool classing to measure the actual diameter of a wool fibre. The smaller the number the finer the fibre.

Every fleece comprises a very wide range of fibre diameters - for example a typical merino fleece will contain fibres of as low as 10 microns in diameter, and there could be fibres with diameters exceeding 30 microns, depending on the quality of the fleece. What is usually referred to as wool's "micron" is the mean of the fibre diameters or average diameter. This may be measured in a number of different ways.

See   its all about  the FLEECE   effect   with   some of these company's!!    I didnt see any  wool  lined HD leathers  with Good zippers   yet :huepfenlol2:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

lucky1

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »

If you like bright anodized aluminum in colours, try here: www.chriscoproducts.com  Same type oil filters.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2007, 03:52:33 PM »

I've been doing a little searching on microns today myself...attempted to find out how large a water molecule is.  Hard to determine, since it it seems it can break down to basically the separate atoms, then rejoin, unlike some other synthetic fluids.  I was never good in math though, so maybe somebody can figure out how large a molecule of water is?   :nixweiss:  One thing I saw said a single particle of refined Flour is approx 5 microns in diameter...that's pretty damn small.  Another said the human eye can generally see down into the 35-50 micron size, unaided.  I don't think my old a$$ed eyes could see anything that small...

I did read some more about the filter though, and I'm still impressed with it's design and construction, and the medical grade stainless medium.

Weld my Crank?   Is that anything like Crank My Tool, Matey?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2007, 04:10:24 PM »

Terry,  TcinVa was crank-yankin :huepfenlol2:  But looking at the water molecule  theres mole's crawlin everywhere.  I even saw where Howies heated water system could freeze!!! i.e.: Mpemba effect
The Mpemba effect is the surprising phenomenon whereby hot water can, under certain conditions, freeze sooner than cold water, even though it must pass the lower temperature on the way to freezing. However, this can be explained with evaporation, convection, supercooling, and the insulating effect of frost.

:nervous:    Now i have to go out and convert some diesel fuel into some clean asphalt.  Boy  i need a Wi-Fi  Plazma screen in the ole Kabuta  now :2vrolijk_21:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »

Terry,  TcinVa was crank-yankin :huepfenlol2:  But looking at the water molecule  theres mole's crawlin everywhere.  I even saw where Howies heated water system could freeze!!! i.e.: Mpemba effect
The Mpemba effect is the surprising phenomenon whereby hot water can, under certain conditions, freeze sooner than cold water, even though it must pass the lower temperature on the way to freezing. However, this can be explained with evaporation, convection, supercooling, and the insulating effect of frost.

:nervous:    Now i have to go out and convert some diesel fuel into some clean asphalt.  Boy  i need a Wi-Fi  Plazma screen in the ole Kabuta  now :2vrolijk_21:

It's anti-freeze Gene, protected to -40 deg F! ;D Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2007, 04:18:21 PM »

Yea...I stumbled on a bunch of chit about Snow Making equipment and perfect size (in microns) water droplets, temperature variants, blah, blah.

Here's a good question...how thick is the film of oil that most of our parts float on while running?  That is valuable knowledge in the quest for the perfect filter...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2007, 08:52:15 PM »

Got a PhD engineer on the team up here.  One of those guys that could design all the liquids systems for a city of a million with one hand while drawing the schematics for gas flows for a model hypersonic engine with his other hand; and then pick his teeth with his toes just to show off.  You all know the type.

Showed him the two websites.  Told him it was new and something he hadn't seen before on a bike.  That set the hook.  Then told him that a competitive associate in another city was checking it out to see if it was any good.  That reeled him in.

So 45 minutes later, and after 10 minutes of explanation that included vocabulary about half of which were words I recognized, the summary ended with, "ok, but not as good as the spin-ons."  So....  I'm out.

I'll still pursue the conversations with the companies if there's interest.  But I'm not a buyer.

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2007, 12:56:16 AM »

Yea...I stumbled on a bunch of chit about Snow Making equipment and perfect size (in microns) water droplets, temperature variants, blah, blah.

Here's a good question...how thick is the film of oil that most of our parts float on while running?  That is valuable knowledge in the quest for the perfect filter...
I found the spec for crank roller bearing fit   replace if more that .0015  on the loose side. 1 1/2 thou.     FYI  the spec for crank runout is replace if more than .010.    other specs  seem to hover aroun 2 thou.  i.e.  piston pin  and valve guide.      how many moles is that :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

on a inquisitive  note   i wonder what a dialosis(?)  machine  cleans blood  thru?  is it filtered? hmmmm      :nixweiss:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2007, 01:21:30 AM »

Got a PhD engineer on the team up here.  One of those guys that could design all the liquids systems for a city of a million with one hand while drawing the schematics for gas flows for a model hypersonic engine with his other hand; and then pick his teeth with his toes just to show off.  You all know the type.

Showed him the two websites.  Told him it was new and something he hadn't seen before on a bike.  That set the hook.  Then told him that a competitive associate in another city was checking it out to see if it was any good.  That reeled him in.

So 45 minutes later, and after 10 minutes of explanation that included vocabulary about half of which were words I recognized, the summary ended with, "ok, but not as good as the spin-ons."  So....  I'm out.

I'll still pursue the conversations with the companies if there's interest.  But I'm not a buyer.

Thanks Don, that was easy! And that'll pay for 20 chrome HD spin-on's. I guess I'll worry about it in 60,000 miles! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2007, 05:07:25 AM »

Well without pickin my teeth with my toes I just had to check the blood filter thing as the inquiring mind had to know and it remains a secret i guess. they say to ask the technician whose doing the procedure if more info is needed. I did find this tho to confirm the actual filtering of the blood. it remarked much about removing unwanted fluids from the blood which by there definition are larger than the red and white blood cells.
What are those plastic jugs sitting in front of my machine?
The plastic jugs hold the liquids used to mix the dialysate. The machine mixes the dialysate, which is made up of an acidified solution, bicarbonate and purified water. The acidified solution contains electrolytes and minerals. You may hear it referred to as “acid.” The other solution is bicarbonate or bicarb, which is like baking soda. Both are mixed inside the machine with purified water. While you are dialyzing, dialysate and your blood flow through the dialyzer (but they never touch). Fresh dialysate from the machine enters your dialyzer throughout your treatment. Impurities are filtered out of your blood into the dialysate. Dialysate containing unwanted waste products and excess electrolytes leave the dialyzer and are washed down the drain.

hmm... i wonder if it is a toss up between more flow  volume  vs  smaller impurity removal. iv'e :beatdeadhorse: enough..  just wish i could transfer the effort to the rear wheel :huepfenlol2:    Il'l  be spinnin the HD filters for a while more also. We need to design a cost effictive billet filter inverter to the vertical position with built in cooling fins and market them thru cvoharley then we can pay for everyone to go to Europe and do a pick up ride  CVO style!! :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 05:13:02 AM by ESJ JESTER »

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2007, 11:54:05 AM »

All of this oil filter discussion got me thinking about the XLCH model Sportsters from the late 1950’s through 1979; they were never factory equipped with an oil filter. (XL and XLH models were.)  HD came out with an accessory spin-on filter kit in 1977.

djkak

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2007, 12:06:11 PM »

I hear ya DJ  like my ole '62 Willys didnt have a filter. Fram had  the optional kit for them and it just kinda took some of the oil thru a 5/16 steel line and ran it thru a roll of toilet paper kinda filter.  the  tolorances and materials back then were a little more forgiving as was the heat factor.    :nixweiss:

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2007, 12:51:35 PM »

I hear ya DJ  like my ole '62 Willys didnt have a filter. Fram had  the optional kit for them and it just kinda took some of the oil thru a 5/16 steel line and ran it thru a roll of toilet paper kinda filter.  the  tolorances and materials back then were a little more forgiving as was the heat factor.    :nixweiss:

Now that you mention it, my '60 Chevy Impala had a (factory equipped) “toilet paper in a can” style cartridge filter.

Another thing that has changed dramatically is the expectations of the machines. If your original 1970 XLCH got 500 miles to a quart of oil with the chain oilier shut off, you had a remarkable machine. It was common in that era to hear machines running around with the distinctive lower end “death rattle”; although this had more to do with roller bearing and retainer (cage) technology than lack of filtration.

Ahhh…the good old days.

djkak

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2007, 11:29:01 AM »

All of this oil filter discussion got me thinking about the XLCH model Sportsters from the late 1950’s through 1979; they were never factory equipped with an oil filter. (XL and XLH models were.)  HD came out with an accessory spin-on filter kit in 1977.

djkak

I thought the electric starts had a screen in the tank?

My kick start 1974 XLCH did not have a filter. Crank went bad just over 3000 miles and the 90 day warranty at the time. >:(
I made my own adapter after rebuilding the engine.
I saved the crank, if I can find it I'll post a picture of it. Kind of odd looking with that be groove in the center!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 11:31:43 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2007, 11:40:49 AM »

And I thought I was the only one who saved worthless old junk.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 24 queries.