Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Surgery vs. Pills for Life?  (Read 18424 times)

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
Re: Surgery vs. Pills for Life?
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2007, 12:26:38 AM »

Crikey!  Is it really better livin through modern chemistry or just helping drug companies fatten up and we all know how hard a good wrench spinner is to find never mind a cutter the lay up after getting cracked.   I don't cotton to pills neither, unless they are the happy kind you take with beer...

I have buds that have been re tubed and turned it over fine, this sounds different bro.
A little more serious than fitting cams....never mind the re-tune....Head long into the wind with no regrets other than no action at all laddie.

Miker

Miker though it sounds OK in principle not fattening up the check books of the drug companies...right now Howie needs a "little maintenance" at least physically...mentally he is unfixable.  Ever change your oil on your bike...maintenance, ever clean your filter...maintenance...plugs etc...I think that you get the idea.  I think that education is the most powerful weapon in the arsenal.  If there is a permanent solution it definitely needs to be looked into.  If it means that coumadin is the solution for life it will definitely provide you the time...what you do with it is your choice...if it is anti-coagulant or clot...that is a no-brainer; no matter what the drug companies are making.  Realize that a clot causes heart attacks, but they also cause strokes.  Clots need to be avoided at all costs...prevention is the cure.  No two engines run the same and some require things that others do not...same here.  Sorry, didn't mean to rant but if it means having a healthy Howie because he is taking the prevention and his quality of life is great then I am all for it...this family is not big enough to lose someone of Hoists stature, let alone any one else.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2007, 12:40:02 AM »

Miker though it sounds OK in principle not fattening up the check books of the drug companies...right now Howie needs a "little maintenance" at least physically...mentally he is unfixable.  Ever change your oil on your bike...maintenance, ever clean your filter...maintenance...plugs etc...I think that you get the idea.  I think that education is the most powerful weapon in the arsenal.  If there is a permanent solution it definitely needs to be looked into.  If it means that coumadin is the solution for life it will definitely provide you the time...what you do with it is your choice...if it is anti-coagulant or clot...that is a no-brainer; no matter what the drug companies are making.  Realize that a clot causes heart attacks, but they also cause strokes.  Clots need to be avoided at all costs...prevention is the cure.  No two engines run the same and some require things that others do not...same here.  Sorry, didn't mean to rant but if it means having a healthy Howie because he is taking the prevention and his quality of life is great then I am all for it...this family is not big enough to lose someone of Hoists stature, let alone any one else.

Seegarz

Thanks man! I'm resolved to this routine. I've seen the black spot. I've seen the pooling. So as long as this stuff is doing what it's supposed to (which I want to be convinced of too), fixing it would be the only other option. But if I can get off of it, I'd prefer to do so. But I'm not just gonna just stop. Geez, Binx would kill me. And that would defeat the purpose! ::) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2007, 07:03:18 AM »

Howie, we talked about my dad briefly the other night.  Cardiomyopathy (sic?) was one of his several ailments.  Was one of the several things that systemically ended up killing him.  By itself he was treated for it for several years though.  One of the many physicians that were part of his care told me that there was no surgical option for that particular of his many problems.

I honestly can't say if there was no surgical option because if was in fact one of many problems and he was, therefore, simply a poor surgical risk.  Or if there was simply no surgical alternative for that particular issue.  I actually researched it then.  But dad had so many issues over the last 10 years he was alive and it's been several years ago now that I don't remember how that particular question was actually answered.

Howie, if it's the hassle of the Coumadin dad did that too.  Properly monitored the risk apparently isn't quite as great as the fears might suggest.  He got some pretty significant injuries (table saw to the arm, old car's fan blade across the inside of the arm) and never dropped dead before I got the wounds handled locally and then hustled him off to the hospital.  Granted, those were wounds that could be seen rather than an internal bleed you might not know about until it's too late.  But hell, there's some risk to everything.

If it's also at least partly the hassle of getting used to taking the damned pills everyday that will actually pass.  I started taking high blood pressure meds (something I apparently at least partially inherited from my dad and his dad before him and......) when I was 33.  It took most of year to find a combination and dosage that worked well.  Have now been swallowing the same damn things in the morning for a dozen years.  It was annoying for awhile.  After that it's just habit.  No big deal.

If there's a fix then listen to the options.  But research on your own whatever the buggers tell you.  There's a reason it's called the Medical Arts and Sciences.  The part that makes it hard on us as laymen is that the "Art" part is sometimes finger paints.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2007, 07:55:55 AM »

Howie, we talked about my dad briefly the other night.  Cardiomyopathy (sic?) was one of his several ailments.  Was one of the several things that systemically ended up killing him.  By itself he was treated for it for several years though.  One of the many physicians that were part of his care told me that there was no surgical option for that particular of his many problems.

I honestly can't say if there was no surgical option because if was in fact one of many problems and he was, therefore, simply a poor surgical risk.  Or if there was simply no surgical alternative for that particular issue.  I actually researched it then.  But dad had so many issues over the last 10 years he was alive and it's been several years ago now that I don't remember how that particular question was actually answered.

Howie, if it's the hassle of the Coumadin dad did that too.  Properly monitored the risk apparently isn't quite as great as the fears might suggest.  He got some pretty significant injuries (table saw to the arm, old car's fan blade across the inside of the arm) and never dropped dead before I got the wounds handled locally and then hustled him off to the hospital.  Granted, those were wounds that could be seen rather than an internal bleed you might not know about until it's too late.  But hell, there's some risk to everything.

If it's also at least partly the hassle of getting used to taking the damned pills everyday that will actually pass.  I started taking high blood pressure meds (something I apparently at least partially inherited from my dad and his dad before him and......) when I was 33.  It took most of year to find a combination and dosage that worked well.  Have now been swallowing the same damn things in the morning for a dozen years.  It was annoying for awhile.  After that it's just habit.  No big deal.

If there's a fix then listen to the options.  But research on your own whatever the buggers tell you.  There's a reason it's called the Medical Arts and Sciences.  The part that makes it hard on us as laymen is that the "Art" part is sometimes finger paints.

They also call it the PRACTICE of medicine...inspires confidence...don't it.

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2007, 08:06:58 AM »

They also call it the PRACTICE of medicine...inspires confidence...don't it.

I will gracefully bow out of such a topic.  Helmet laws, what kind of oil, bagger vs. not a bagger, button fly, communism vs. capitalism, Islam vs. other more "western" sects or those many other minor issues that are often dealt with with such fervor by so many I can handle casually, at times amusedly but never really too seriously.

However, and not to suggest that all practitioners are arrogant, cavalier, self-righteous, but still pusillanimous MacArthurian level tin gods in white coats; those too many among them that do approach that mild descrtiption of their skills and attitudes are one of the few things that will actually bring me to a bit of pique.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2007, 08:08:17 AM »

I will gracefully bow out of such a topic.  Helmet laws, what kind of oil, bagger vs. not a bagger, button fly, communism vs. capitalism, Islam vs. other more "western" sects or those many other minor issues that are often dealt with with such fervor by so many I can handle casually, at times amusedly but never really too seriously.

However, and not to suggest that all practitioners are arrogant, cavalier, self-righteous, but still pusillanimous MacArthurian level tin gods in white coats; those too many among them that do approach that mild descrtiption of their skills and attitudes are one of the few things that will actually bring me to a bit of pique.

Like he said...

Miker

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2007, 08:12:53 AM »

WOW 2lane,
You sure wax eloquent...and as soon as I can find a dictionary...I may reply :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21:

Seegarsmkr

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2007, 08:13:13 AM »

Like he said...

Miker

I read what he said also but my only question is,

What da hell did it mean?

:nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2007, 08:15:53 AM »

Seegarz

Other than no action at all...

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2007, 08:20:33 AM »

Open heart surgery takes a while to recover from , my mom has quad bypass.  IF it's a viable option , it would be worth considering , but you will be on medication and recovery for the better part of a year till your back to "normal"
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2007, 08:25:18 AM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

It means I dealt with my father's decline over a decade following a significant malpractice issue.  Changing the colostomy required by the after effects, learning to cath, and sundry other indignities he had to endure spending a combined year of the last ten in hospital.  Then finally buried him.

You also find a "community" of those who have known errors.  Some more significant than others.  Some truly deadly.  To a man, however, the response from those that have committed them is nearly universally to see themselves as separate from the mistake they made or its consequences.

I have good personal friends who are physicians or otherwise serve in the medical arts fields.  I know there are many gifted practioners.  I'm also an EMT so (barely) know enough to know when they're just blowing smoke.  The latter is too common.  And, socially, even the gifted among them admit the poor within their ranks are far too common.

Anything else we want to laugh about in this thread gentlemen?

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2007, 08:29:27 AM »

What up Howie. Well I guess until you find out your options staying the course you are on right know is the way to go. If I was posed with the same dillema I would also be searching out exhaustively all my options and wouldn't be satisfied until that point. Keep your spirits high you have an extended family behind you that will do anything for you. As to taking pills daily, well if it was a small insurance policy while I was doing my research then that is what I would do.,just like you are. I would be doing everything you are doing with no exception. I'm in your corner if you need anything. There always will be opinions from the masses,doctors,friends and family it's your job to wade through all of it and make a solid well thought out decision and whatever it is you know you made it and will live by it. Be good Bro,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2007, 08:32:17 AM »

Sorry 2lane,
No offense intended.  Your vocabulary was incredible and I was making light of how you said it not what was said.  I have been a nurse for >17 years and I HAVE seen all kinds and I applaud your care of your father...many will dump them in my lap so that I can do the things that you have done for your loved one.  I apologize again if I offended, not my intent and never will be...as a nurse and fellow CVO brother I can both empathize and sympathize. 

Seegarz :-[

Seegarsmkr

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2007, 08:34:58 AM »

It means I dealt with my father's decline over a decade following a significant malpractice issue.  Changing the colostomy required by the after effects, learning to cath, and sundry other indignities he had to endure spending a combined year of the last ten in hospital.  Then finally buried him.

You also find a "community" of those who have known errors.  Some more significant than others.  Some truly deadly.  To a man, however, the response from those that have committed them is nearly universally to see themselves as separate from the mistake they made or its consequences.

I have good personal friends who are physicians or otherwise serve in the medical arts fields.  I know there are many gifted practioners.  I'm also an EMT so (barely) know enough to know when they're just blowing smoke.  The latter is too common.  And, socially, even the gifted among them admit the poor within their ranks are far too common.

Damn Don I'm sorry to hear that you and especially your dad went through all that. Malpractice is an awful thing,you are helpless because once its done its done. My uncle went in for a small surgery,walking mind you and the surgeon nicked a blood vessel the blood pooled around his spine and now he is confined to a wheel chair for the rest of his life and lives in a nursing home because his wife divorced him and he can't take care of himself financially.We are working on getting him his own place so he can have a little better life than he has now.You are dealt a hand in this life and you play whatever it is.Sorry about the thread jacking but I had to get this out. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2007, 08:35:56 AM »

They got my pop years ago too....it only took the medical establishment 3 days to knock off a man who survied 2 wars, numerous work related injuries and a childhood of hard labor...Dark humor and my mum are all that was left.  Sorry to offend.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 24 queries.