Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: 30,000 mile cam chain shoe  (Read 9261 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: 30,000 mile cam chain shoe
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2005, 10:26:15 PM »

I was at a small independant HD shop today talking with them abou the cam shoes. They told me that they replace on average 1 a week. That's a lot for a small shop. He showed me a box of old shoes that must have had a couple of hundred in it. There was one on the counter that they changed out earlier in the week that had 6500 miles on it and was 1/2 gone.

Harley has a real problem here. Now the big question is do I look into changing this out to a gear drive setup or wait until it breaks and have it repaired under warranty [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2005, 10:31:22 PM »

You mention 'warrenty'.  That's a interesting thought.  Will they check to see if it needs replacement at, say, 25000miles under warrenty.  Or do you have to either do it yourself of pay to have them do it?  And then, it it is pretty much worn out or , say over half worn out, will they warrenty it?  I wonder. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Ridge_Runner

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2005, 11:16:38 PM »

That is my opinion also MFG. Hind sight being 20/20 I regret my choice of mufflers.  Purchasing the bike was a snap decision. Knew I wanted one but thought I waited too long deciding to Spend the big bucks. Walked in to the dealership the last Sunday in Dec 2003 and there it was... just uncrated the day before.... Seems my dealer lucked into an additional SERK!!! The decision to purchase was a no brainer. But, I should have waited for my head to come out of the clouds and made a more informed decision at a later date.

For sale 1 set of low milage ovel slip on mufflers.  Will throw in stock exhaust with purchase.... Oh well: Its only money

I guess it will be a fiew more hours of jury deliberation and lost sleep. Too bad we cant just test drive parts and accesseries!!!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2005, 11:27:40 PM »

You mention 'warrenty'.

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2005, 07:18:43 AM »

Ridge Runner, S&S recommended the 570 cam for the 103 for the performance gains you mentioned. I will probably have those put in my engine instead of CVO 253 cams and that @#$*!&# cam chain and shoes. I plan on going to an adjustable push rod with the gear cams. I cannot find out if the cams and gears will bolt in or if there will need to be some modifications to springs, valves, heads etc. What is your mechanic saying?

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2005, 09:24:17 AM »

103tHunDer I will step up to the plate with my choice.

Nite-Al

• Junior CVO Member
  • "HOW SWEET IT IS"
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2005, 12:56:24 PM »

We all need to make a lot of noise to MoCo. [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2005, 02:05:30 PM »

Thanks MFG. I plan on doing the 570's. I also am going to add an S&S reed valve behind the oil pump.

Ridge Runner, I will be doing a true dual exhaust on mine. We'll have to compare numbers and see how much of a difference there is in the exhaust.

Ridge_Runner

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2005, 04:36:21 AM »

mackcr The jury is still out on the Exhaust  I need to check out the old posts for some opinions on different 2 into 1's.  Am also thinking about changing the primary gear ratio to a 3.37 or a 2.38 setup. I think the stock ratio is 3.15.     Mack  Tell me about the reed valve behind the oil pump.  Looking forward to compairing numbers.

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2005, 08:13:57 AM »

Ridge Runner, here is the wright up from S&S. Feuling Has another explanation to sell their replacement oil pump. The S&S reed valve is much less expensive so I wil try that first. If I do not get the results I want I will replace the oil pump with Feulings. Yet another option: S&S has a new all in one unit which includes cam plate ,cam cover, gear cams (the 570 is one of the cam options), reed valve and oil pump. It is expensive and I have yet to find anyone who has tried it.

S&S
S&S Crankcase Breather Valve for Twin Cams End that oil carry - over problem!

The S&S Crankcase Breather Valve for Twin Cams .

Economical way to eliminate oil carry - over in Twin Cam style engines .

Provides a slight increase in midrange power .

Easy to install when changing cams or servicing oil pump .

Included with all 124" S&S Twin Cam style engines .

It is almost impossible to correct a problem if you don't understand how it works . So using pressure sensors and sophisticated computer data acquisition and recording equipment, our engineers were able to determine that the problem was caused by the continuous rise and fall of air pressure in the crankcase, cam chest and rocker boxes .
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 08:14:55 AM by mackcr »

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2005, 08:19:07 AM »

Here is Feuling's explanation:

The TC-88 engine uses a dry-sump lubrication system. To perform properly, the dry sump system requires a properly sized, BALANCED SYSTEM including a scavenge pump that is capable of removing all residual oil from the crankcase at all engine speeds and conditions. Failure of the scavenge pump to perform to these requirements causes "WET SUMPING". Instead of returning to the oil tank, the oil builds-up in the crankcase and cam chest causing excessive friction/power loss and oil aeration. This can result in oil being forced out the breather, air cleaner contamination, oil leaks, loss of oil supply, lifter clatter, component wear and potential engine failure. TC-88 engines have piston cooling jets that are designed to squirt oil on
the under side of the pistons. These jets have a check valve that opens at approximately 25-28 PSI oil pressure. Without adequate pressure pump volume this pressure regulated flow to the jets can short circuit critical oil flow from the lifters and top end. Twin Cam valve springs need oil for cooling. Inadequate oil flow can cause excessive valve spring temperature causing loss of spring tension resulting in noisy valve train, valve float/valve train separation and potential engine failure. Inadequate oil supply to the rocker boxes can cause excessive rocker arm bushing wear and component failure. The Twin Cam crankshaft has machined "paddles" on the periphery of the left flywheel to provide a trigger for the crank position sensor (CPS). These paddles can whip up unscavenged oil in the crankcase, turning the oil into aerated frothing "peanut butter" that pushes its way up into the rocker boxes

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2005, 09:04:24 AM »

Interesting...anybody hear actually have a problem with oil coming out the breather and getting on bike or passengers? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2005, 09:11:33 AM »

Yes, that is what prompted me to bring my SERK in for service. The situation most likey caused by damge to the oil pump. Others are having the problem as well. See the "Oil Out the Breather" thread.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 09:14:36 AM by mackcr »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2005, 01:24:39 PM »

Yes, that is what prompted me to bring my SERK in for service. The situation most likey caused by damge to the oil pump. Others are having the problem as well. See the "Oil Out the Breather" thread.

So then the 99 dollar question becomes, "How much oil were you seeing?"

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2005, 04:40:12 PM »

Started as just a few drops of oil on the right saddlebag. I immediately took the bike to a dealer in WI and was told that was normal. The problem got worst over several months as I continued to bring it in for service. I was told that I was overfilling during oil changes. It got to the point that I was covering the right saddlebag with oil each time I rode. Finally, I found a dealer here in FL that agreed there was a problem. The rest is history.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 20 queries.