Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: Another 110 in the series of leakers  (Read 13763 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Another 110 in the series of leakers
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 10:53:50 AM »

Service manager called & going in to see the engine torn down in a few.  Parts are here, just a matter of time until my RK's garage mate returns.   
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2008, 11:04:38 AM »

Is there a crank runout number?

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2008, 12:01:35 PM »

Have some info that confirms what DC Fireman says about 110 fix.  At HOG Primary Officer Training session and head of tech svsc & quality for the moco is here again this year.  He told me a fix would be out within 60 days and he can guarantee it because he is getting a new '08 SE Ultra with the 110.  I did not press him because I felt if he wanted to tell me more he would have.  All I can say is that he has always been upfront with me and I am confident in what he says.  Just hope that the fix they announce will really put these problems to rest once and for all.

Jerry

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2008, 12:47:22 PM »

Thanks Jerry.  Have spoken to the guy you are referring to at POTs & this ball is in his court.  Figure he wants it to be right.

No crank runout # Miker.  Decided not to spend the extra $$ to check it out.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2008, 12:52:54 PM »

Bike is getting new cylinders & new gaskets.  I have a high level of confidence in the ability of the local shop here to assemble this correctly.  As to the parts themselves - time & mileage will tell.  Spoke to the tech, the Service Mgr. & the owner.  All great guys & nobody pounding sand here.  Bike will be ready by Monday.

Pistons & all looked good - about what you would expect for 17,000 miles.  Nothing out of the ordinary except both cylinders had slipped.  Back jug more than the front & was leaking more substantially.  About a fingernail width on the back & barely perceptible on the front.  Front had just barely started leaking.

Pics below for those who are interested:

New gasket on left, old one with "ears" on right

Was told these new gaskets were first available last week.  Appears to be a composite - graphite colored

Side view.  Old gasket spreads apart & is made of metal.  New gasket is pressed together.

Back

Front
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 12:58:47 PM by iski »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2008, 05:01:32 PM »

Iski,
Hope that fixes your problems and you have many trouble-free miles ahead of you.  Those are the 07B gaskets that were put into my machine two weeks ago.  I've only gotten about about 100 miles on them, so I don't have any report as to their effectiveness....yet.  I hope, when I get back from travel, to be able to put some serious miles on them before we take our trip to Tennessee the middle of May. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2008, 07:14:28 PM »

Those are the same ones that they used on my bike in January. They didn't have a part number at the time when they replaced both of my cylinders and rings (1800 miles). I have 3300 on it now and no leaking at the top of the cylinder. Now there's oil seepage at the base though.
2011 FLHXSE2

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2008, 11:00:14 PM »

Service manager called & going in to see the engine torn down in a few.  Parts are here, just a matter of time until my RK's garage mate returns.   
Mike, Sorry to hear about your gal being in the horsespital.

Hopefully, the good folks at CCHD will have you back on the road soon so you can enjoy the summer time breezes.
On the bright side, at least your RK isn't jealous about being left alone this days  ;D

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »

Iski,
Hope that fixes your problems and you have many trouble-free miles ahead of you.  Those are the 07B gaskets that were put into my machine two weeks ago.  I've only gotten about about 100 miles on them, so I don't have any report as to their effectiveness....yet.  I hope, when I get back from travel, to be able to put some serious miles on them before we take our trip to Tennessee the middle of May. 

Thanks RD.

Have about 100 miles on the bike with the 7Bs now.  Got the bike back today & running good.  Will put around 7k on the bike between now & Labor Day (at least).  Hope it holds.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2008, 04:38:53 PM »

Those are the same ones that they used on my bike in January. They didn't have a part number at the time when they replaced both of my cylinders and rings (1800 miles). I have 3300 on it now and no leaking at the top of the cylinder. Now there's oil seepage at the base though.

Sorry to read that, DavidG.  Apparently they are still working on a more permanent fix.  Best of luck - looks like a lot of us need it.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2008, 04:43:46 PM »

Mike, Sorry to hear about your gal being in the horsespital.

Hopefully, the good folks at CCHD will have you back on the road soon so you can enjoy the summer time breezes.
On the bright side, at least your RK isn't jealous about being left alone this days  ;D

Thanks Weldon.  Bike was detailed, full of gas, & ready to go this morning @CCHD.  They buttoned it up last night - got by this morning to pick it up.  Heckuva difference between the SEULTRA & the 02 RK TC88.  She really pulls in comparison but fun to air tho old RK out still.

Decided to do the time honored B2B break in for 500 miles.  Under 3k RPMs, take it easy.  Rain shortened my ride today.  May get to the coast tomorrow.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2008, 11:34:34 PM »

Thanks Weldon.  Bike was detailed, full of gas, & ready to go this morning @CCHD.  They buttoned it up last night - got by this morning to pick it up.  Heckuva difference between the SEULTRA & the 02 RK TC88.  She really pulls in comparison but fun to air tho old RK out still.

Decided to do the time honored B2B break in for 500 miles.  Under 3k RPMs, take it easy.  Rain shortened my ride today.  May get to the coast tomorrow.
I asked my dealer about doing a break-in on the gaskets and they said it wasn't necessary.  That's only for a new engine.  Hope they knew what they were talking about, cuz I rode it normal and didn't worry about doing break-in mileage on it. :(

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2008, 11:41:33 PM »

I asked my dealer about doing a break-in on the gaskets and they said it wasn't necessary.  That's only for a new engine.  Hope they knew what they were talking about, cuz I rode it normal and didn't worry about doing break-in mileage on it. :(

That sounds right the breakin is to seat the rings et al. The gaskets are torqued-so ride it like you stole it!

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2008, 07:48:17 PM »

I hope it works Mike.  You can be sure the 110s were the topic of a lot of discussions this weekend and I learned a lot.  My only fear is that I have NOT developed a leak before the end of the 2 yr factory warranty.  What do I do then?  Buy a $1,700 insurance policy for something that should be TSB'ed in perpetuity?  I've got an optimistic side that tells me that HD will cover out of warranty head gasket leaks on the 110.  Hey, I can dream can't I?
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2008, 08:35:03 PM »

I've got an optimistic side that tells me that HD will cover out of warranty head gasket leaks on the 110.  Hey, I can dream can't I?

I would think that they would have a "good will" or "policy adjustment" if they failed Jim  after the 2 year warranty period.   You shouldn't have to buy an extended warranty for a known problem.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 24 queries.