Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Another 110 in the series of leakers  (Read 13776 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Another 110 in the series of leakers
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 11:21:42 AM »

I too am very sorry to hear of another one, especially since I just picked mine up 2 weeks ago. Paranoia is a good thing as I check for "seepage " every time I dismount. One question, though it probably doesn't man anything-is there any way (like in the VIN) where it states when the bike/motor was assembled? Would it be too much to hope that since this has been going on for so long that the Moco started using the new and improved in later assemblies? I'm headed up to Americade in June and would hate to have to keep the miles down just for the false sense of "security" that it won't start til after we get back. Good news for the beancounters is that with the numbers I've seen posted, there's only 700+ more leakers to hit the streets. it's like deja vu all over again. Maybe their design engineers are SO GOOD that they intentionally screw up the design so that they can write off the loss of replacement parts. They probably have a warehouse of various leftover gaskets and such and now they're getting rid of them.

Since the "new" gasket only recently installed has now been reported to have failed three times in just the last several days it seems that no late production is yet past the problem.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 11:36:25 AM »

I too am very sorry to hear of another one, especially since I just picked mine up 2 weeks ago. Paranoia is a good thing as I check for "seepage " every time I dismount. One question, though it probably doesn't man anything-is there any way (like in the VIN) where it states when the bike/motor was assembled? Would it be too much to hope that since this has been going on for so long that the Moco started using the new and improved in later assemblies? I'm headed up to Americade in June and would hate to have to keep the miles down just for the false sense of "security" that it won't start til after we get back. Good news for the beancounters is that with the numbers I've seen posted, there's only 700+ more leakers to hit the streets. it's like deja vu all over again. Maybe their design engineers are SO GOOD that they intentionally screw up the design so that they can write off the loss of replacement parts. They probably have a warehouse of various leftover gaskets and such and now they're getting rid of them.
Call the moco, give them your vin and they can tell you the assembly date but the motor was of course assembled at another plant and shipped to York.  Anyway from what we've all seen and has been reported they haven't fixed the root cause of the leak.  Ride the darn thing and don't worry about it.  The leak should not shut down.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 11:37:12 AM »

I’m with you numb.  I watched all the postings here while waiting on mine.  Took delivery on 4 April, now have 1500 miles on it and check the cylinders each time I bring it home.  It’s disturbing to think these are going to continue to leak.  I know this has been said over and over but for what we are paying for these bikes…I traded in a perfectly good and well running 05 Road Glide for the CVO Ultra and wanted it to be a long term touring bike.  Since the MoCo and Willie say there is no problems maybe these pictures will help change their minds.  I bought the extended warranty just because of  the 110, hopefully won’t need it but it’s not looking good with new gaskets failing.  My fingers are crossed!    

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 11:44:44 AM »

Iski,
Sorry to hear you've "joined the club".  I thought that you and I would go unscathed, but it wasn't meant to be.  Like Don said, it looks like we all get bitten by the dread head gasket leak.  My dealer wasn't even listening to me when I started talking replacing the cylinders.  I guess with just the first replacement of the gaskets, it doesn't warrant replacing the cylinders.  There must be an obvious noticeable issue before they do that.  The MoCo has to realize by now that there's something drastically wrong with the cylinder/head makeup that is causing all of this...replacing different material gaskets is only prolonging the problem...maybe they're doing this until they do find the cause?   :nixweiss:  All I know is I went the route you did and am procuring a second ride.  It won't be as sweet as my CVO but at least I'll be in the wind while the "big one" is in the shop getting fixed again.  I know, after reading a post elsewhere about the the 7B gaskets, I can expect another leak.  :-\   Momma and I have two major trips planned in May and June (Tennessee and Outter Banks) and I need the CVO to be ready for those trips...The Street Glide is going to be on "one-up" ride.  I'm not planning on outfitting that for two, but perhaps I should consider it.  :nixweiss:  Good luck Iski...hope it gets fixed soon.

:devil:

Thanks RD.  Sad you had to get a second ride due to the problem but glad you are getting one.  Street Glide - sweet!  Better to ride than not.  Good luck on yours as well. 

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »

Sorry for your misfortune of owning a 110' CVO. I have a 2007 SERK

I am in the same boat, my latest crate engine from the Motor Company is spewing oil from the rear head gasket area with only 5899 miles on it. Called the Dealer, the tech that works on my bike will be in Tuesday and I will have the bike back Tuesday late afternoon. This time I can't wait the 4 days for another crate motor, I need the bike for Laughlin River Run which starts this Wednesday 04/23/08.

Too many 110 failures - popping up almost daily & yours is a second time around.  What is the dealer doing?  Newer version head gasket? 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 11:53:19 AM »

Can't help but laugh right now.  Just hung up the phone from a call with a guy back east.  Didn't even know he rode.  But I'd been out on the red bike early this morning and somehow it just came up. 

He then said "I've got a new AMF bike."  No doubt a little stupidly I asked "new AMF :nixweiss: ?"  "Yeah," he said, "it's a new 110" motor from Harley and all these damn things do is leak and break."  So maybe the name of y'all's club is the Harley AMF Fan Club?

Yeah, crying just gets the front of my shirt wet so laughing is a better option.

Maybe Harley Bowling shirts, in a tie dye oil leak/streak motif, with a big "AMF" on a leaking bowling ball on the back?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 11:57:24 AM »

maybe you will be one of the luckier ones.  Ya never know.  I've been checking mine for leaks for months now.

Had a long conversation with Chief & he had some very good advice.  Very knowledgeable on this situation.

Appears it's not limited to any production run or time built - it is an inherent problem that happens on some bikes yet not on others.  Until Saturday I was riding one of those "others". Not sure what the "fix" really is.  A head gasket in a way to me seems like a band aid on a serious design problem - heat related or caused.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 12:20:07 PM »

I feel terrible for you guys with all these 110 leakers. I fully understand the disappointment. The inconvenience is probably even more disappointing, especially when it ruins your vacations, which is what we live for!

I've said this before, but I'm totally convinced that the lack of proper engineering and quality control will continue to cause this failure on ALL 110 factory motors! This is unconscionable! They will not do anthing about this until they stumble into the fix at everyone's expense and inconvenience. I have no doubt that HD will eventually make good. They traditionally have in these similar situations over the years. But how long will that take?

Put your life on hold until that time comes. I think not! We spend 1-1/2 to 2 times more on these SE bikes than standard models, but we're less than 5% of the total bikes they build. We make a lot of noise here, but this doesn't hurt them. Until this makes it all over the mainstream press and your Jay Barbieri's of the world shout it out, there's nothing good coming out of this anytime soon. And those sources won't go shooting themselves in the foot for a small % of HD bikes made. It will still remain our little secret, while we're treated like idiots in the process.

So, as I also said previously, your choice is to continue to be insulted by the MoCo while they treat us like idiots. And 2 years later, they continue to tell the same story. We all know what you call someone that continues to do things the same way over and over, and expect different results. INSANE!!!

Your choice as it stands, continues to be the same as from day one. Get that POS out of there and get your own reliable powerplant in there of any configuration you like (except stock) or continue to be insulted by the MoCo's insanity while they treat us like idiots! I feel even more for those that have spent everything they had to get their dream bike and now can't afford to sink another 5-10 grand into the bike. Those guys will suffer the worst because they'll have to rely on the MoCo and their dealers to fix this. Sorry guys! >:(

So my mantra continues, FTF and FTW!!! Get a good engine builder, move on with your lives, and hopefully you won't have to look back! Good luck to ya'll no matter which way you decide to go! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 12:57:41 PM »

I feel terrible for you guys with all these 110 leakers. I fully understand the disappointment. The inconvenience is probably even more disappointing, especially when it ruins your vacations, which is what we live for!

I've said this before, but I'm totally convinced that the lack of proper engineering and quality control will continue to cause this failure on ALL 110 factory motors! This is unconscionable! They will not do anthing about this until they stumble into the fix at everyone's expense and inconvenience. I have no doubt that HD will eventually make good. They traditionally have in these similar situations over the years. But how long will that take?

Put your life on hold until that time comes. I think not! We spend 1-1/2 to 2 times more on these SE bikes than standard models, but we're less than 5% of the total bikes they build. We make a lot of noise here, but this doesn't hurt them. Until this makes it all over the mainstream press and your Jay Barbieri's of the world shout it out, there's nothing good coming out of this anytime soon. And those sources won't go shooting themselves in the foot for a small % of HD bikes made. It will still remain our little secret, while we're treated like idiots in the process.

So, as I also said previously, your choice is to continue to be insulted by the MoCo while they treat us like idiots. And 2 years later, they continue to tell the same story. We all know what you call someone that continues to do things the same way over and over, and expect different results. INSANE!!!

Your choice as it stands, continues to be the same as from day one. Get that POS out of there and get your own reliable powerplant in there of any configuration you like (except stock) or continue to be insulted by the MoCo's insanity while they treat us like idiots! I feel even more for those that have spent everything they had to get their dream bike and now can't afford to sink another 5-10 grand into the bike. Those guys will suffer the worst because they'll have to rely on the MoCo and their dealers to fix this. Sorry guys! >:(

So my mantra continues, FTF and FTW!!! Get a good engine builder, move on with your lives, and hopefully you won't have to look back! Good luck to ya'll no matter which way you decide to go! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Yes they will come up with a fix for the problem. They have been working on it for a good while now. The engineers that are doing the work have run into one problem. Which can not be discussed on here at this time. You can bet this has turned into a big problem. Once they get it right I am sure everyone will get the updates. IMHO it is not a question of if but a question of when will your 110 give you a problem. I am so glad to have a 103. I really wanted a new Duracell. I guess it would have been OK given the amount of riding I have done in the last couple of years. NO MILES NO PROBLEMS!!!!!!

Hang in there boys and girls!

Be Safe

THE DAWG 
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 01:06:50 PM »

Will be 2 weeks plus Howie - parts on backorder.  I had read enough to know there were potential problems by the time I bought the bike but figured they were isolated back then.  Frankly, I have been checking the bike after each ride anticipating a leak based on what I have been reading here.

Bike has a little over 17,000 miles now & I have 2 rides planned for May - Myrtle Beach rally & a trip to Alabama over Memorial Day that may be taken on the RK now instead of the jester.  Hope it's back in time, but not sure.

Your bike made it 17,000 miles before the first leak? I didn't think anyone made it over 6~7k before the leaks set in.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 01:35:59 PM »

Has anyone had front 110" cylinder leak/gasket failure or are all the failures solely the rear cylinder?  :nixweiss:

A simple theory is that it's really the heat induced stress on the rear cylinder causing the failures since it's running hotter that the front cylinder, or am I amiss in that assumption? Doesn't fully explain the internal shifting of components, but I may be missing something here?

You'd sure think that there could have been some some non-destructive testing done on the 110" with thermocouples on each of the cylinder bodies and a review of the design limitations on the gaskets, etc. related to temperature, but
then that would spoil all the fun of owning a new, apparently improperly tested mechanical product.  :oops:

Joe

2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 01:39:43 PM »

Has anyone had front 110" cylinder leak/gasket failure or are all the failures solely the rear cylinder?  :nixweiss:

A simple theory is that it's really the heat induced stress on the rear cylinder causing the failures since it's running hotter that the front cylinder, or am I amiss in that assumption? Doesn't fully explain the internal shifting of components, but I may be missing something here?

You'd sure think that there could have been some some non-destructive testing done on the 110" with thermocouples on each of the cylinder bodies and a review of the design limitations on the gaskets, etc. related to temperature, but
then that would spoil all the fun of owning a new, apparently improperly tested mechanical product.  :oops:

Joe

I've heard of front leaks too Joe. Just not as common. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 02:12:32 PM »

Your bike made it 17,000 miles before the first leak? I didn't think anyone made it over 6~7k before the leaks set in.

Yes.

I have been checking it regularly - at least weekly.  Leak was right where most of the others have been - under the exhaust back of rear jug.  Head gasket failure, but there is more likely more to it than that.  Will see what it looks like torn down.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 02:18:32 PM »

Hoist! 8)

Howie, I'm going to give them a shot at fixing this.  Do I expect, 100%, that this will be permanently fixed?  No, because I have read enough to not be naive.  But if I go a completely different route, first time in for service, it just doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.  If it continues, multiple times, and it is obvious the MoCo cannot fix it, then another power plant becomes an option.  At this point, I am just considering head gaskets & possibly cylinders depending on how it looks when it's taken down.

Understand you have been there, done that, and taken a new course.  May be the one I am on as well & just do not know it yet.  Will wait & see what happens - damn glad I kept the reliable 02 RK with it's little 88.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 02:36:43 PM »

Joe

Generally the front cylinder runs hotter. With the marvels in fuel injection management you could throw more fuel up front and then it could run cooler. Most of the time if you do nothing and they run the same fuel/timing wise your front would be hotter.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 25 queries.