Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: ECM  (Read 7306 times)

lvnlg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
ECM
« on: September 21, 2005, 11:41:20 AM »

Anyone useing the Thunder Max ECM. Is it better or same as the H.D. race tuner? Thundermax will install one on my seeg for $299.00 at York this weekend. I have the race tuner now but only making 84 H.P. and 98 torque. I do have the S.E. air cleaner and S.E. mufflers already on. Not sure what more I can get from their ecm.

Suggestions welcomed!   [smiley=laugh.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: ECM
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 11:49:39 AM »

Anyone useing the Thunder Max ECM. Is it better or same as the H.D. race tuner? Thundermax will install one on my seeg for $299.00 at York this weekend. I have the race tuner now but only making 84 H.P. and 98 torque. I do have the S.E. air cleaner and S.E. mufflers already on. Not sure what more I can get from their ecm.

Suggestions welcomed!

lvnlg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 11:53:39 AM »

I'm not sure if they have their own dyno or not. They did say if I didn't like it they would full refund me on the spot.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 12:03:09 PM »

I'm not sure if they have their own dyno or not. They did say if I didn't like it they would full refund me on the spot.

"Like it" or not if they can't tune it you know two things:

That you're not taking full advantage of what you're spending the money on.

That you don't know where you're not taking full advantage of it.

Tune-able engine management is a wonderful thing.  We get things from a DFO or RT or PC or this ECM you're considering that the bikes simply can't do otherwise.  I must admit, however, that everytime I hear of someone who gets any such device and then doesn't get it tuned to the bike I just shake my head in wonder.  Might as well buy a nice shiny socket set and then never turn a wrench.

Another consideration with the ECM you're thinking about is that if it is not tuned at the the site there are (from what prior conversations here have suggested) very few sites around the country where you can get it tuned.  Very few options.  You can get a RT or PC tuned all over.  Apparently not nearly so easy with the ECM you're considering now.

It seems like a great price they're offering.  If they install it and tune it (and it's a device you're interested in) it seems like a smoking deal.  If it's not tuned to the bike, however, it's just a shiny new socket set that doesn't get fully taken advantage of.

lvnlg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 12:11:20 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts Twolaner. Points well taken! How is your football pool looking this week? Think you might get past me this week? Ha Ha

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 12:39:12 PM »

I agree with what TLR is saying.  Take the Freedom package as an example.  They give you the modified Rinehart's and a pre-programmed PC but the PC contains a generic program not matched to your specific bike.  Lot's of glowing reviews on the site here about that package, but hd-dude has his bike dyno tuned in person at Freedom Cycles and they were able to get another 6 or 8 (I forget just how much) more TQ and HP out of it than the way it was delivered to him.

So, the Thunder Max may work better than what you're currently running, but if you already have the RT you have what you need to get the most possible performance out of your setup already.  Why not take advantage of that rather than spend more money?

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 01:23:33 PM »

lvnlg,

Your issue as stated is "low number's" but how does the bike ride? Is it not fast enough for you or does it run poorly? Dyno number's are an imperfect tool to base your overall experience upon. There are simply to many variables and variences bike to bike and dyno to dyno.

I'd check your rear tire pressure, put 92 or higher octane gas in the tank, take off the air cleaner and rerun it on a different dyno with an experienced Race Tuner mechanic. Note those results then put the air cleaner back on and run it again and note the new results. From there you may need to have the base map tweaked a little. Or maybe not depends on the results.

Point being tire pressure, dyno operater, air flow, humidity, dyno itself, fuel, engine temperature,etc,etc,etc.........could have skewed the intial results you posted. Your tq number is reasonable compared to the rest of us with a similiar set up. But your initial hp posting was closer to where you should have been stock. Your set up should work fine, I'd give it another try before spending more money.

Good Luck!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 02:14:26 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts Twolaner. Points well taken! How is your football pool looking this week? Think you might get past me this week? Ha Ha

The football pool members have already been warned over in that thread.  JR is going to kick our collective butts from here on out  [smiley=nervous.gif]

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 02:54:57 PM »

....but hd-dude has his bike dyno tuned in person at Freedom Cycles and they were able to get another 6 or 8 (I forget just how much) more TQ and HP out of it than the way it was delivered to him.

To be exact they got 2.9 more HP 2.8ft/pd more torque. It was not noticable by the seat of the pants but the did get ride of a bit of popping I had on decell. I agree with what everyone is saying, if you get a "custom" ECM or map the have it dialed into your bike. It will be close out of the box but there will most likely be room for improvement.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 07:52:41 PM »

Suggestions welcomed!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 07:55:12 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 08:17:26 PM »

I am using the ThunderMax with the  Khrome Werks HP Plus 100 mufflers and Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner on my 04. . It is a  lot more responsive and has far better acceleration than the stock ECM. It was set up by Zippers and so far seems to be running a little rich. I haven't tried to adjust anything yet, I am going to put some miles on it and then dyno it.  The only thing I don't like is the mufflers are too loud for cruising. They are louder than my 124" custom with the Vance and Hines Big Radius. I was told it increased the engine efficiency from 82% (of its as built potential)  to 98% and it sure feels like it.  Takes about 15 minutes to install.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 09:51:35 PM »

Twolane you know I respect you and your opinion but you have never had one and until you do you don't what your missing! I understand what you are saying but I KNOW FOR A FACT they could bring out the dyno and you won't see much if anything at all. Much meaning 1 hp or less. It has to do with the operation of the Thunder Max as oposed to the stock ECM. The stock ECM is just that STOCK!!!!!! If they have a map for your mods that is all you need. As time goes on this will only get better.

Don't worry about it at all Dawg.  I was really speaking generally about all the programmable devices (DFO, PC, RT, etc etc etc) and that it's always seemed to me a poor choice to get a device that is generic, doesn't make itself efficient on an individual bike until it's programmed, and then not tune it.  

There was a thread here a couple of months ago wherein someone had one of these ECMs and had some difficulty and couldn't find anyone to tune it.  It is great that the ECM might be so good "to begin with" that it can be run "stock."  But it still begs the question of paying for and using any device (not just this one) the primary benefit of which is its tune-ability or programmability and then not get the device tuned.

Your post begs a question though Dawg.  And since you've got some good familiarity with this piece hopefully you'll be in a position to answer.  You suggested that the new ECM is, basically, good to begin with.  What does it do above and beyond the stock ECM that makes it "smarter" or better without having the unit programmed to the specific bike it is on?  

Really prompting the question is that the sensors feeding the ECM don't change.  So it doesn't have any more or smarter inputs than does the stock piece.  Being as unfamiliar as I am with the piece in question I'm not sure, lacking new inputs, where it gets it new benefits from if it isn't programmed.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 01:15:52 AM »

Don I am going to york tomorrow. I will see the guys from Zippers. I will grab all of the info on the ECM and mail it directly to you. I don't have anything in front of me since I am protecting the citizens of DC tonight (isn't that scary) I know you have an open mind and am not trying to change your opinion just stating facts. I have played with a lot of bikes and this setup really got my attention. There are a few things I don't like about it right now. The first thing is they have very few maps (but are working on them) and the maps they have are based on Zippers packages. Yes you can make changes in the package and not use all Zippers and they have a map that will be very close. The second problem (which doesn't affect me) is the number of people that know how to use this new software and know how the setup works. I have at least 2 shops close to me that can dial it in.

The person you were talking about was Pappy. Yes he thought he had a problem with the unit and voiced his opinion on here. It turned out the people running the dyno were not familiar with the system and the bike was not warm enough and was burning rich (which they all do till the bike is warmed up). He talked to Zippers and talked to me. Since I am close to Zippers and have been buying thier products for years I made a call to Zippers for him also. Pappy and I talked and got to the bottom of the so called problem which really wasn't a problem.

Pappy and I still talk once in a while and I am building a 103 which is very generic. It will have parts from different places but will run a Zippers cam and throttle body along with the Thunder Max ECM. I know the program I will get from them won't be right, right now they have maps for their 107 inch motors which will be close. I will then have it dyno tuned and have a map for a reliable and hopefully fast motorcycle  that can be passed on to others if they go close to the same route.

So far I swear by the new ECM that might change at a later date but I really don't think so. The guys at Zippers for the most part have their act together and I am very confident with their products and the help I get from them if I have a problem. This ECM is on the cutting edge it just needs some time for those of us that want to go faster then stock.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 01:53:28 AM »

That's great Dawg. I'd love to read whatever you get.  As we discussed a couple of posts ago my quibble wasn't with the ECM specifically but with the notion (generally) of not getting programmable hardware programmed.  Leaving it generic usually doesn't gain us anything; and it often works against us.

The one thing that is specific to these, however good they may be, is that if they do require programming/tuning to really dial them in and make them effective there are so few tuners familiar with them or with the equipment to do them.  Unfortunately Pappy's case only highlights that.  The gentleman he was working with wasn't familiar enough with the hardware he was trying to tune to do it right.  And too often that's worse than doing nothing at all.

Your description of this ECM as being good pretty much right out of the box actually really intrigues me from a systems standpoint and interests me from a red bike standpoint.  I'd not read that about its capabilities before.  That's got to mean that, without any other mapping, it's doing a better job of using the systems' supplied data than the stock system is.  If that's being done without any "extra" tuning that's important and a worthwhile consideration all by itself; especially for $299.00 with a cash return guarantee.  I just didn't know the module was doing that.

When you get the goodie sheets in hand drop me a PM and I'll send you the mailing address.  Looking forward to seeing the stuff  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Thanks,
Don

jdk20723

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 11:20:17 AM »

Hey All,
    John from Zipper's here.  I would like to clarify a few things I've just read about the ThunderMax here.  I'll try to explain what I can as best as I can.
    Yes, we are at York installing ThunderMax ECM's.  The price of the unit installed on your bike is $399, not $299 as stated above.  The regular list price is $429.95.  The $399 is the same price we have charged at Daytona, Myrtle Beach and DelMarVa bike weeks and was the price listed on a notification we posted on HTT in the General section earlier this week.  I don't know where the $299 price came from, but it is incorrect.
     What makes the ThunderMax better (in our view)?  Many things, starting with the fact that it is a completely new processor (a clean sheet of paper, so to speak), not an add-on device for the factory ECM.  The ThunderMax was developed with complete versatility in mind.  It is very powerful, with many more points of adjustment, or resolution, than any of the popular add-ons or even the factory's Race Tuner software.  These points of adjustment are ALL addressed during the creation of our base maps.  
      All processors use a look-up table to deliver the specified amount of fuel and spark for a given rpm/load situation.  The Harley ECM is a speed-density based system, which uses input from rpm vs. throttle position, with input from the MAP sensor (manifold pressure).  The input from the MAP sensor allows them to use less blocks on a look-up table on the throttle position side.  While there is nothing "wrong" with this system, there is a lot that is not "right" about it, when used in a Harley application.  The Harley's uneven firing pulses and common plenum manifold can confuse the MAP sensor, and cause it to supply fuel and spark from the wrong block, causing poor performance.  Add increased displacement and broader cam timing (something that we H-D guys love to do!) and the problems intensify.  For arguments sake, the H-D system with the Race Tuner attached has 153 points of adjustment; a Power Commander-equipped engine has 279 points on the look-up table.  The ThunderMax is an Alpha-N based system, meaning it relies on rpm and throttle position only, and does not use data from the MAP sensor.  For this type of system to work properly, it requires many more blocks on the look-up table, so that's what was designed -- 1,984 points!  Simply put, if your rpm is *here* and your throttle position is *there*, there is a block on the look-up table to address the engine's needs in that situation.  And the speed of the ThunderMax's processor can keep up with the ever-changing demends, rewarding you with that runs, as a very happy DelMarVa rider called it "unbelievable---something-wrong smooth!"
     While it is true that a base map that is a match or pretty close to your build is required, we have an ever-growing library of base maps including many for CVO bikes.  These maps lower operating temperatures, eliminate exhaust popping between shifts and deceleration and improve throttle response and performance.  We develop the maps on a state-of-the-art Land & Sea dyno using lab-type instrumentation.  One of our purposes of these "in the field" installs is to better evaluate and educate users on the ease of use of the software should any adjustments be required.  Things like idle adjustment, rpm limit, speedometer calibration and others are simple click-and-enter affairs, and the ThunderMax includes a communication cable and Basic-User software that allows 10% +/- on the fuel trim and 5 degrees +/- on ignition timing settings of the base map supplied.  
      Admittedly, any new product will have somewhat tough inroads in penetrating the markets of established products such as the Race Tuner and Power Commander.  Technicians get comfortable with what they know how to use.  History shows that the first products offered to market are not necessarily the best products over time.  There is always room for improvement.  Many technicians with EFI experience and open minds have embraced the ThunderMax once thev've used and understand it, and feel it is actually easier to use than the other products, with its features such as 'live' tuning.  
Our Advanced-User software will allow the properly equipped shops a larger swing of adjustment and access to our library of base maps to allow them the ability to make their own libraries of maps for their own combinations.  
     We are currently offering a 30-day money-back trial of the ThunderMax.  I hope you'll take advantage and give the ThunderMax a try....what have you got to lose?  JK
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 24 queries.