Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Author Topic: BLUU Back in the Harley Shop  (Read 25719 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: BLUU Back in the Harley Shop
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »

'07 and '08 failures became somewhat commonplace, but with what seemed like fewer and fewer reports of problems with the '09s and '10s, I was beginning to think things were looking up for the 110 and came close to dumping my reliable 103 for an '11 a few weeks ago.  I decided to wait and see what, if anything, was in store for a mid-year release since it was so close and now on the eve of that release comes this story of multiple engine replacements on a 2010 model.  Yeah, this is only one man's experience, but, along with thinking about the 35,000 trouble-free (though, admittedly, at times very high-speed wobbly! :o) miles I've put on the '04 103, it definitely has me reconsidering whether or not I want to roll the dice on a new one. :-\

Better the wobble you know than the devil you don't?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 12:27:27 PM »

Maybe.  Or, maybe it's no different chasing that than chasing reliability in a 110, still haven't decided.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 12:37:19 PM »

Maybe.  Or, maybe it's no different chasing that than chasing reliability in a 110, still haven't decided.

Has the shop ever really done a drive train alignment on your SEEG? 

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 12:40:58 PM »

'07 and '08 failures became somewhat commonplace, but with what seemed like fewer and fewer reports of problems with the '09s and '10s, I was beginning to think things were looking up for the 110 and came close to dumping my reliable 103 for an '11 a few weeks ago.  I decided to wait and see what, if anything, was in store for a mid-year release since it was so close and now on the eve of that release comes this story of multiple engine replacements on a 2010 model.  Yeah, this is only one man's experience, but, along with thinking about the 35,000 trouble-free (though, admittedly, at times very high-speed wobbly! :o) miles I've put on the '04 103, it definitely has me reconsidering whether or not I want to roll the dice on a new one. :-\

Brian

It's a tough call.
I absolutely love and enjoy my 09 SEUC but loving the ride doesn't mean I like drinking the 110 koolaide.
I have no plans on selling it but worry about the 110 what ifs everytime I ride.
It's a 35K bike I probably have 45K in and is worth 25K.
I figure I have 2 options,
1) sell it and loose the 20K
2) ride it till the 110 takes a dump like Tommys, spend 5 grand on it and then ride it 50K miles more.
So with option 2 being the lesser of the two evils I'm going for #2 and save the 15K. (how's that for voodoo math?)

I took the checkbook down to the local BMW shop last month to buy a new K1600GTL, OMG, it was like being in a Harley shop 10/15 years ago. They were going to do me a favor by selling me one and then told me I'd have to wait till September 11 for it to come in. WRONG response from them! I guess at some point I'll find me a 06 SEUC, add a KTP and then take Don's advice.
Better the wobble you know than the devil you don't?

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 01:11:30 PM »

Don, yeah, they did one when I had the swingarm bushings replaced.  That was maybe 12 or 13,000 miles ago now. Fixed it for awhile. Maybe it's just time again.

BryantH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO SERG - Silver 2009
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 01:15:02 PM »

SBB,

How much for the BMW and what would they give you on the trade? Not trying to hijack the tread but interested to know.

BryantH

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 01:15:24 PM »

Don, yeah, they did one when I had the swingarm bushings replaced.  That was maybe 12 or 13,000 miles ago now. Fixed it for awhile. Maybe it's just time again.

If nothing wore; not really.  But who knows.  Want to borrow the alignment tool and try it yourself some crappy weathered Saturday?  You'll need to remove the tank and (probably) the exhaust.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 01:33:11 PM »

Thinking about the EMS if I hold onto it. Maybe we could knock 'em both out sone weekend at your place.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »

Thinking about the EMS if I hold onto it. Maybe we could knock 'em both out sone weekend at your place.

Sure.  Both easy stuff.  Especially if the tank is empty.  If not already there we'll put quick coupler in the crossover to make tank removal a snap any time later on too.  Pipes already have bungs?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 02:03:54 PM »

Sometimes it's better to stick w/who (what) you came to the dance with. ;) A known is better then an unknown.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 02:18:26 PM »

I can't remember what the deal is with those Rinehart's now as far as the bungs.  I think there was something weird on those pipes, like the only had a bungs on one side, or something.  The bike's a few miles away.  I need to get over ther in the next couple of weeks sometime and take a look.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 02:26:39 PM »

I can't remember what the deal is with those Rinehart's now as far as the bungs.  I think there was something weird on those pipes, like the only had a bungs on one side, or something.  The bike's a few miles away.  I need to get over ther in the next couple of weeks sometime and take a look.

I vaguely remember something odd with the early release Rineharts also.  They didn't have the sensor bung ducks in a row over something. 

That'd be the only precursor necessary to make the EMS a quick install though.  If they've got bungs or you got them on the rest of the install takes less than an hour.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »

I feel bad for you, wish you a speedy satisfactory conclusion.  Definitely not trying to rub anyone the wrong way but the amount of issues we have had to endure can be financially overwhelming.  There are some of us that just can't afford the repairs, improvements, modifications etc.  Warranties & ESP eventually expire leaving us with potential money pits. I read the forum often and post very little due to my poor writing skills.  I feel fortunate to have access to the knowledge and assistance available on this site.  I'm sure I'm not alone but I'm so darn confused about which direction to go with my 08 SERK it's driving me away from wanting to proceed with my original plans.  In my case I have to look at the big picture and I certainly can't afford to fix what the moco could & should have done.  I've reached the point where I won't and can't continue to throw more money at it.  I do admit just how good it feels when I'm out riding, problems just evaporate, I'm doing what I was born to do.  Love the ride hate the MOCO. Sorry for the rant it's just that it seems these failures are getting to be to commom and we are getting acclimated to these situations.  Some have the attitude of buy the bike, but plan on having plenty of spare cash to finish the bike so it will take you home.   Having to replace motors like other manufacturers replace normal wear items is getting to easily acceptable.  I know I don't feel comfortable riding with my wife on a country back road on a Sunday evening knowing it's all to common for something to happen and be left stranded.  We pay good money and just want to enjoy our purchase, I would really love to have an 09 SERG or a 2010 SESG but even if I could do it financially I just don't think I could ever support HD again.  

My apologies if I have offended anyone, I have always had difficulties putting my thoughts in print.

Good luck on your repairs and hope you get to ride many trouble miles.

Ray G.        

Great post Ray...

YEs... throwing money at this thing to fix the f$%*ups the moco has made are beginning to take thier toll.

IN a PM I got from another member it was inferred that he wouldnt want me to pay for them to tear down a second time.....and while I agree, as long as I have the factory warranty and the ESP, I'll buy good parts and get them installed on someone else's dime!

Fortunately the crank runout is almost nil so no issues there... and as others have said.. if its straight.. dont f* with it.

Lets hope I dont have to tear down again or I'm going to do it right and the hell with the frigging warranty and ESP!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 03:22:35 PM »

SBB,

How much for the BMW and what would they give you on the trade? Not trying to hijack the tread but interested to know.

BryantH

That was an interesting meeting with the BMW people. My sources tell me a 23 to 24 starting price and with all the whistles and bells a 26 ending price.
I asked how much? They said, we don't know. So I asked do you expect me to put money down on a bike you can't tell me the price of and wait till September to get.
Yes sir we do.
I have read much on the bike and found myself knowing a lot more about it than the sales person did. The one thing that I could never find out about was the CB.
I asked the salesman if it had a CB and he said, European bikes don't have Cb's. No Cb's, how do you talk to the others in the group I asked. Call them on the phone he replied.
So to quit hijacking this thread can someone pm me and tell me if European bikes don't have or use Cb's for group riding.

:nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 04:05:35 PM »

Don't know what year Rinehart's you have - but the early ones had an issue...  The bung on the front cylinder pipe was pointing at the oil cooler adapter (the adapter the filter mounts to).  The narrow band 02 sensors fit (barely), but the longer wide band sensors did not fit unless the adapter was rotated as far as possible, and had clearance machined (or ground).

see here....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9738.msg150672#msg150672
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 20 queries.