Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Author Topic: BLUU Back in the Harley Shop  (Read 25842 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: BLUU Back in the Harley Shop
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »

Couldn't agree more, Don...  Non-dependence on the Moco for anything other than a small percentage of parts once and awhile makes it much easier to turn your back.  Short of an occaisional mount and balance of tires, I need their service department for nothing - just how I like it!

Travis and I even found an indy shop here in town that will mount and balance for about half what the Harley shop charges.  And they're not so bitchy about taking your money for the work just because you bought the tires elsewhere.  So the bike shop gets impulse buys or convenience parts needs when don't want to wait for shipping.  The expense of a few tools is more than made up for the convenience of waiting only on one's own schedule and the comfort of not relying on the questionable skill and efforts of others.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »

Travis and I even found an indy shop here in town that will mount and balance for about half what the Harley shop charges.  And they're not so bitchy about taking your money for the work just because you bought the tires elsewhere.  So the bike shop gets impulse buys or convenience parts needs when don't want to wait for shipping.  The expense of a few tools is more than made up for the convenience of waiting only on one's own schedule and the comfort of not relying on the questionable skill and efforts of others.

Well said... I have sent several of my friends who ride older bikes and even some with newer bikes to the indy shops.... and I'm more inclined to because the prices are better, the service is TIMELY and convenient... none of this 2 week backlog bullchit and I am now making payment #3 while my bike sits dismembered in the shop.

AS I am lazy and dont have a handy-lift at home (try shipping one to Hawaii) I use the indy shop for basic needs... wheels/tires, even basic maintenance. HE will work in my schedule and even work while I wait sometimes. He even scheduled me late one night for a 1K service because the dealer told me 3 weeks? I should have scheduled it the day I bought it. He's a good kid, sharp and knows his stuff... I'm glad to send business his way.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »

HE will work in my schedule and even work while I wait sometimes. He even scheduled me late one night for a 1K service because the dealer told me 3 weeks? I should have scheduled it the day I bought it. He's a good kid, sharp and knows his stuff... I'm glad to send business his way.

A shop like that is a valuable resource to have around.  Well worth sending work to to keep them there.  Not all are lucky enough to have that option. 

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »

A shop like that is a valuable resource to have around.  Well worth sending work to to keep them there.  Not all are lucky enough to have that option. 

I've been a loyal customer to the dealer... but when they started backlogging it became a problem... The indy used to work at the dealer.. and has an extremely loyal following...

Now... with 12 bikeless weeks to mull over it.. why am I aupporting a dealership that doesnt seem to support me when my bike is down, and my table time was scheduled for 1/20-21?.... yet other bikes scheduled after that go in, and out before mine?...

:soapbox: ok.. I'll get off now...

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2011, 04:47:24 AM »

not all dealers are like that.

I can have a demo bike whenever and as long as my bike is in the shop. And they work until their job is done - if that means until 02:00 am Sunday morning than that's so. Not for just any customer but for most.

But if Harley-Davidson takes 2 weeks to ship a part they can't strip of a demo bike even they can't help it.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2011, 03:19:54 PM »

not all dealers are like that.

I can have a demo bike whenever and as long as my bike is in the shop. And they work until their job is done - if that means until 02:00 am Sunday morning than that's so. Not for just any customer but for most.

But if Harley-Davidson takes 2 weeks to ship a part they can't strip of a demo bike even they can't help it.

Hell... I'd ride a 250 nighthawk for chits and giggles just because they are fun bikes to ride... If I had one to ride.

Small dealer, no loaner fleet to take from... and parts are not as much of an issue as getting the parts here....

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Re: BLUU Back in the Harley Shop(UPDATE)2-12-11
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2011, 09:16:46 AM »

Well My local dealer gave me the scoop yesterday on BLUU. The Area Rep from Harley came in and looked over BLUU. He was very curious about my oils and wanted to send them out for testing because they looked funny to him. My Service Writer called me and I told him what I used on the bike(Amsoil & Redline) The area rep stated that the motor was engineered for Syn 3 and that is the only oils I should be using in all 3 holes. The Crank is right at the max on shifting but still within limits and the Harley Rep wants them only to do the top end and has stated that Harley will do the initial breakend and that I must bring it into Harley to have it serviced since this is my 3rd motor. They went back to my 08 Kasper and said I had that motor reworked also and I said that was because I had the rear head gasket replaced and heads due to the SB that Harley issued.They stated that since this was my 3rd motor I MUST bring it in to Harley because they cant trust the way I'm servicing it and that maybe the reason why I'm having the problems I'm having is because I don't know what I'm doing and I'm using Amsoil and Redline. I take Great Offense to their accusations because I baby BLUU and change oils every 3500 miles with Amsoil and Redline. I ride BLUU EVERDAY and NEVER have ABUSED that Motorcycle!! I told Harley that they could have my wife's 09 SG and tear it down because I have been maintaining it the exact same way as BLUU and it runs like a Raped Ape and never has had a problem. There is definitely a problem with the 110 motor and they wont recognize it at Harley. Oh my dealer wants to rebuild the whole motor even the bottom end but Mother Harley and the local Rep only want the Top end fixed and so there is a battle going on between my dealer and Mother Harley. They told me that it would be a few days before a decision was made so just hang in there BEAR. I think I'm at my turning point with Harley Davidson and I wish I had lots of money to hire an Attorney but I can't afford that so I may end up selling BLUU and moving on to another Motorcycle Manufacture. Quality and Customer Satisfaction is no longer Present with HD!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2011, 09:54:55 AM »

You might want to talk to an attorney that works on a contingency.  Or sometimes you can just pay one to write a letter for you (the MoCo doesn't have to know that he's not on full retainer).  The oil "brand" issue has been put to rest long ago....I don't know why a factory rep would try pulling that card again.  The crank run out is at it's maximum, an attorney should make that an issue since the motor is new.  

Tell them that you don't have a problem with the dealership doing the service work provided their going to do it on your schedule and on their dime.....since that's why you do it yourself.  I don't believe that it's your responsability to prove that the service is done on time and accordingly.  I think it's on them to prove that it wasn't.  A product liability attorney would chew them up.  Just my thoughts.......good luck with it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:58:19 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2011, 10:06:30 AM »

Point Taken!! I'm going to meet with the General Manager today and see what the game plan really is and if that fails a good Product Liability Lawyer is the next move.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »

Point Taken!! I'm going to meet with the General Manager today and see what the game plan really is and if that fails a good Product Liability Lawyer is the next move.

DB

I have been told from a very reliable source that an attorney's letter to HD will work wonders.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2011, 11:26:46 AM »

DB

Tell this representative of Harley Davidson to put in writting that Amsoil and Redline products do not meet the standards set by HD for use in their motorcycles.  Contact these companies and provide them a copy of this letter. When their interest are at stake, these companies may very well become your allies in this endevour.

I have money on it the HD will not make these allegations in writting. This sounds like one man trying to follow the corporate line of looking to blame anyone and/or anything for the problem other than their product.

It baffles me that the HD rep would not simply make it right by you verse trying to screw you over. Makes you wonder if the reps incentives are tied to some formula in reference customer complaints v cost to company.

I agree with the attorney's letter. Corporate America laywers listens other laywers.  Sorry for your problems and good luck. Stay polite but firm. Don't give them an excuse to have you removed from the business.

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »

Had started also to suggest that you tell them pointedly to "put it in writing" regarding the oil requirement then saw Jeff's remarks.  In fact if you'd done it immediately at the time he said it the guy would likely have started backpedaling like a duck trying to sit still in a strong tailwind.  If they require you to use their oils, however, they also have to supply them.  Make sure you let them know you understand the liability they have just incurred by making this demand of you.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2011, 08:51:15 AM »

The Harley Rep stated that I did not break in the motor correctly because I switched over to Amsoil at 1000 miles on the last new motor. He stated that I should have gone 5000 to 7500 miles on Syn 3 then switch over. Rep stated that Amsoil is to good and and thin plus handles heat but not good for the initial break-in. I am not sur I believe all that but I am going to do whatever they say on this 3rd motor.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2011, 09:10:52 AM »

I work at a Honda car dealership and we have many customers who do their own services.  All Honda requires is receipts showing that they purchased the necessary parts and fluids for the services.  It does not have to be Honda parts or fluids!  The issue with the HD rep saying you have to use Scremin' Eagle oil is BS!  As long as the oil you used has the proper API service numbers (listed on back of container) there shouldn't be a problem.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2011, 09:25:51 AM »

The Harley Rep stated that I did not break in the motor correctly because I switched over to Amsoil at 1000 miles on the last new motor. He stated that I should have gone 5000 to 7500 miles on Syn 3 then switch over. Rep stated that Amsoil is to good and and thin plus handles heat but not good for the initial break-in. I am not sur I believe all that but I am going to do whatever they say on this 3rd motor.

An awful lot of "stated" from the dealer.
I also think it will be difficult to get any of the "stated" in writing from the dealer.
But to cover your ass, how about an email to the General manager/owner of the dealership that reads along the following.

Dear Mr. Owner/General Manager

On this date I spoke with your employee(and name his name) and he told me this.(and tell it all) On another date I spoke with your employee(and name that guy's name) and he told me that. I have asked all these people to put this in writing but none will. They tell me the information they give me is the policy of this dealership but can't put it in writing. So I am following up in writing to physically document what I have been told. If my information is incorrect I would appreciate a response with the correct information.

Yours truly
Loyal and potentially happy CVO owner

************************************************************************************************************

DH
This would be a last attempt measure to make sure your not getting screwed.
Good luck!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 24 queries.