Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: New Nolan N-104 review.....  (Read 48758 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: New Nolan N-104 review.....
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »

Most doo-rags are made of cotton...while absorbent, cotton is not the best choice for material in temperatures above or below what most folks consider "normal".  It gets wet and stays wet.  Any type of microfiber garments are a better choice for riding wear, IMO.  They wick moisture away, dry quickly, and are easy to wash out in the sink, if necessary.  Cotton socks suck, winter or summer.  If you're a doo-rag wearer, you should give the Buff a shot.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2012, 12:54:44 PM »

Most doo-rags are made of cotton...while absorbent, cotton is not the best choice for material in temperatures above or below what most folks consider "normal".  It gets wet and stays wet.  Any type of microfiber garments are a better choice for riding wear, IMO.  They wick moisture away, dry quickly, and are easy to wash out in the sink, if necessary.  Cotton socks suck, winter or summer.  If you're a doo-rag wearer, you should give the Buff a shot.

Got a link?  Can't figure out which one you are recommending.  Thank you!
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #182 on: March 29, 2012, 12:56:14 PM »

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2012, 02:08:16 PM »

We need to figure out how to pump air in/around the helmet like the NASCAR boys/girls do.   ;)  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2012, 08:13:29 AM »

8) A few photos of the new helmet next to my old one...

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »

Looks like the Nolan is really well ventilated...nice looking helmet.

TTS Mastertune

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2012, 07:32:14 PM »

Put another 300 plus miles on with this helmet today.  Liking it more and more, pretty cool!
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »

Looks like the Nolan is really well ventilated...nice looking helmet.

The best vetilated helmet I've ever worn!  Terrie and I went for a ride today.....more to test drive the new helmet/bluetooth than anything else.  We weren't two blocks down the street when Terrie told me "oh man, I can actually feel air flowing over the top of my head inside my helmet".  We were only going about 25 mph. :2vrolijk_21:

As we continued to ride and got out on one of the main roads, I told her "reach up and push that vent all the way back until it snaps again" (that opens the eyebrow vents across the front of the helmet).  As soon as we did, you could immediatly feel a stream of air coming in to the helmet at the top of my forehead and flowing up over the top of my head.

I have to say, the ventilation on this helmet really does work as designed and a huge improvement over the Nolan N-103! :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2012, 08:14:32 PM »

The best vetilated helmet I've ever worn!  Terrie and I went for a ride today.....more to test drive the new helmet/bluetooth than anything else.  We weren't two blocks down the street when Terrie told me "oh man, I can actually feel air flowing over the top of my head inside my helmet".  We were only going about 25 mph. :2vrolijk_21:

If the difference is that much I've got to pay more attention.  With the old N-102 I honestly could tell almost no difference with the vents open or closed.  Notice it a little.  But not much.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »

As we continued to ride and got out on one of the main roads, I told her "reach up and push that vent all the way back until it snaps again" (that opens the eyebrow vents across the front of the helmet).  As soon as we did, you could immediatly feel a stream of air coming in to the helmet at the top of my forehead and flowing up over the top of my head.

I have to say, the ventilation on this helmet really does work as designed and a huge improvement over the Nolan N-103! :2vrolijk_21:

That's great news JC  ::). What did you think of the bike to bike intercom?
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »

If the difference is that much I've got to pay more attention.  With the old N-102 I honestly could tell almost no difference with the vents open or closed.  Notice it a little.  But not much.

Don, the ventilation is great, but would be better if you weren't behind a windscreen.  For kicks and giggles I purposely moved my helmet above the windscreen and you can feel the air rushing across the top of your head and around your forehead (vent completely open).  If I were riding without the windscreen with temps as they were today (72)' I would have to close the vent, too cool.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2012, 09:35:01 PM »

Don, the ventilation is great, but would be better if you weren't behind a windscreen.  For kicks and giggles I purposely moved my helmet above the windscreen and you can feel the air rushing across the top of your head and around your forehead (vent completely open).  If I were riding without the windscreen with temps as they were today (72)' I would have to close the vent, too cool.

Thanks Pete.  That's good data.  I sit with my nose just above the windscreeen on the SEEG and the SERK.  On both bikes if I sit up very very straight (my posture isn't that good unless I'm thinking about it or trying to impress a date) I can feel my head in the windstream.  Normal posture just below. 

The Road King doesn't really count right now as it will change.  I sit with eyes just below the screen on that bike but it's got the lowest damned saddle I've ever sat in my life.  Even with my short legs my knees are bent back uphill with my feet on the boards.  A saddle rework will alter things with it to about the position of the other two. 

With that I may not get the best advantage of the helmet vents.  But sounds like it'll still be a noticeable improvement.  Hmmmmmm...... didn't know I might be shopping for helmets this summer.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2012, 10:58:58 PM »

That's great news JC  ::). What did you think of the bike to bike intercom?

We had already been using the older Nolan N-Com intercom for a few years, so we were used to that.  The new system, B4, is superior in a number of ways.  The quality of the sound is far better.  It's also much quieter in these new helmets.  And we were on a freeway, I'm guessing about 1/8 to 1/4 mile, out of sight of each other (in an S curve), several cars in between and a concrete median barrier wall and we could still hear each other very clearly.  We did not get the opportunity to test them out with semi trucks in between us but feel the concrete barrier wall was a good test as I was already through the S curves as she was just entering it.

Using the phone to call each other also worked very well and was equally quiet.

At this point, we feel good about making the decision to move forward with the purchase and expense of upgrading our helmets and bluetooths and would do it again. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »

Don, the ventilation is great, but would be better if you weren't behind a windscreen.  For kicks and giggles I purposely moved my helmet above the windscreen and you can feel the air rushing across the top of your head and around your forehead (vent completely open).  If I were riding without the windscreen with temps as they were today (72)' I would have to close the vent, too cool.

We were riding in the low 60s today and only a few miles.  But when I pushed the vent lever back to the second position, it was cold on my forehead and even thow we'd only rode about ten miles or so to Terrie's mother's, when we got off the freeway I told Terrie "man, I think I got brain freeze"......my forehead was really cold.  And even though I look over the 8" windscreen, I never actually intentionally raised up any higher than my normal riding position.

Next weekend we're going to be putting in about 800 miles......it'll be a good test and we'll be down in the desert where it's supposed to be up in the 80s so we'll see how well it vents in those kind of temps.

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 25 queries.