Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Reinstalling PV stk. file  (Read 11554 times)

joe_lyons50023

• Full CVO Member
Re: Re: Reinstalling PV stk. file
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 01:00:14 PM »

If its stolen then you report it to dynojet and if they try to buy an unlock they will get busted.  If the unit fails for whatever reason then I guess you would have to buy another one? Just like I have seen people leave their vci and or dongle in the saddlebags with out protection and break internally.  But regular cals are not locked like tts and can be accessed with other tuners.  The PVAT specifically setup for auto tune pro not basic just shuts off the stock o2 sensors.

joe_lyons50023

• Full CVO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Reinstalling PV stk. file
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »

no, it saves the stk file based the stock parameters, so when you put it back in the data is named correctly.  I think Joe may be referring to when you save a PVT file.  The stk file is stock information. 
Mayor is right you don't have to do a damn thing to the STK file because STK is short for stock and PV changes nothing about it.  But if you want to name the pvt. File a harley PN you can if you wana name it dontfkwthme then you can name it that also.

mayor

• Full CVO Member
  • just another fictional internet politician
Re: Reinstalling PV stk. file
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »

Saving the original file is important with any tuning device.  TTS and Direct Link make this very clear. Vision needs to be clear with this also.  It needs to be in their directions.  A pop up warning to say the least.  Not all the customers are on forums.
from what I could tell from what I thought was a recent mistake I made, the PV apparently saves the stk for you.  I copied a stock calibration and saved it as a pvt, and then it would not let me pull the stock cal after I released what happened. I worried that I lost the stock calibration for that bike, but noticed that it was saved in a queue system on the PV while I was pulling data to get another tune license.  I know for sure that I did not save the stk calibration, but it was in there right where it was supposed to be.  Now I did pull data to send to Dyno Jet for a tune license for that bike, so it is possible that it saved that information during that time.  Either way, the stk calibration was available for me to save onto a hardrive in a location associated with the name of the bike owner. 

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Re: Re: Reinstalling PV stk. file
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 01:20:22 PM »

The STK is saved into the PV and the computer.  No need to put the stock cal on a flash drive or post it on an online storage.  And as Steve has pointed out PV cals are unmolested cals and as long as a PVAT file isn't used then other tuning platforms shouldn't have any issues.

Joe

I did not say the above at all. I really do not know as I have not gone through all there stuff other than having to come along afterwards and fix it. What I have seen many times now is that when customers have set the ECM back to stock that they were NOT stock. Maybe what Whittlebeast found out is the cause of the issue but I am still seeing it today, as in 2013. So it's seems there is still an issue, customers and dealers are not aware of special naming practices if that is what is needed.

As I said in the other thread I'm just reporting what I've seen from customers and dealers. As far as I'm concerned if your going to restore it to the stock calibration it needs to be clear as a bell with no chance for a customer or dealer to screw it up and that is clearly not the case here.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

joe_lyons50023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »

Steve people screw up cooking Mac and cheese you know this and talk to these people.  I have posted how easy it is and it is in the help section also.  Main point is, if the file your putting back In the bike does not have .STK on the end then it is not the stock cal.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »

If its stolen then you report it to dynojet and if they try to buy an unlock they will get busted.  If the unit fails for whatever reason then I guess you would have to buy another one? Just like I have seen people leave their vci and or dongle in the saddlebags with out protection and break internally.  But regular cals are not locked like tts and can be accessed with other tuners.  The PVAT specifically setup for auto tune pro not basic just shuts off the stock o2 sensors.

It can be stolen just to be used as a data logger and milage and stuff.  Right?  Don't have to flash the ECM with it.  Back when I had my 78 hard tail. Some POS decided he wanted my satellite gas cap.  He didn't care if I had to ride back to New River with out one.

I know of one guy that couldn't change tuning devices after he had the PV on it. With out problems.  He had to have TTS sort him out first.

It is a problem that needs to be addressed by the manufacture. It's only a tuning device and they all have their problems, period.

I am surprised that this hasn't came up on more forums.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 03:23:31 PM »

It can be stolen just to be used as a data logger and milage and stuff.  Right?  Don't have to flash the ECM with it.  Back when I had my 78 hard tail. Some POS decided he wanted my satellite gas cap.  He didn't care if I had to ride back to New River with out one.

I know of one guy that couldn't change tuning devices after he had the PV on it. With out problems.  He had to have TTS sort him out first.

It is a problem that needs to be addressed by the manufacture. It's only a tuning device and they all have their problems, period.

I am surprised that this hasn't came up on more forums.

Likely because after sinking $800 into a PV (or $450 into a TTS MasterTune, etc.), people probably don't switch tuning devices very often... so they never experience the issue.

There are probably a lot of people who may not even realize that it would ever be necessary to restore the stock tune when switching devices. It's a Buyer Beware thing that I think all tuning devices need to state clearly in their documentation.

I also think that the tuning device ought to go with the bike, along with a copy of the stock cal, upon the sale of the bike to another party. That's the responsible thing for the seller to do.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »

I just snooped around in the PV directions.  It looks fairly straight forward to get back to where the bike was the first day the PV was married to that bike.

Andy

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »

Likely because after sinking $800 into a PV (or $450 into a TTS MasterTune, etc.), people probably don't switch tuning devices very often... so they never experience the issue.

There are probably a lot of people who may not even realize that it would ever be necessary to restore the stock tune when switching devices. It's a Buyer Beware thing that I think all tuning devices need to state clearly in their documentation.

I also think that the tuning device ought to go with the bike, along with a copy of the stock cal, upon the sale of the bike to another party. That's the responsible thing for the seller to do.

Ken

I have had 3 different tuners hooked up to my bike over the years.  An original SERT, a TTS and a PV.  I run the PV.

Andy

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 04:00:40 PM »

Andy

That very screen is what I have been told they did. One customer that I talked with went so far as to take it in and have a shop do it after I showed him it was not a stock calibration. Guess what.......... came back with the exact same calibration he had put in it.

Joe

As for people not reading instructions or doing it right that kind of shoots your ease of use right down the drain. Look, everything out there when used per the directions for the most part works and it's clear that PV has issues as everyone else does. For the record when the screwup happens Customers fault or DynoJets fault, Digital Tech cannot fix it and if that ECM goes back to MotorCo. they will drop the warranty on the powertrain.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »

I have had 3 different tuners hooked up to my bike over the years.  An original SERT, a TTS and a PV.  I run the PV.

Andy

Andy - with all due respect you are not an "average" customer! Not even close.

I don't know what the percentage of customers who switch from one tuning device to another is... but I'll bet it is way less than 5%, and likely 1-2% or less. That's just a wild guess - but I have never seen very many posts from people who have switched, or are planning to switch, tuning devices.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »

Apparently the bike had that tune in it the day it was married.  That tune was burned to the PV as "the original"

When I did my PV, I used my TTS to put the original tune back into the bike and then married the PV.

<<< Caution, off topic, stop reading now if you are sensitive  >>>>

Then I put the TTS tune back in and started with that tune as my starting tune.  As I recall, I never autotuned the bike with the PV autotune program.  If I did, it was later.  That bike did some of the early beta autotune stuff with the widebands if I remember correctly.  I bet a fair amount of my original autotune logic that I did in excel, went into the final PV product.  That was a long time ago.

As it turns out, right now I am beta testing autotune logic on a quite hyper motor.  It gets really fun to figure out what data to keep and what is just what you are going to get.  Dynos are almost out of the question as even an option.

Great fun doing 0 - 90 mph in about 6 sec.

Andy

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 12:05:39 AM »

As it turns out, right now I am beta testing autotune logic on a quite hyper motor.  It gets really fun to figure out what data to keep and what is just what you are going to get.  Dynos are almost out of the question as even an option.

Great fun doing 0 - 90 mph in about 6 sec.

Andy
There would be only one reason a proper Dyno test facility would not be ideal for ANY vehicle testing, development, and tuning.
That would be if there was no way to hook up the rear tire on the drum...as in too much power for the traction available.
That said, a 0-90 mph in about 6 sec bike shouldn't present a problem with any of the motorcycle dynos currently available and used in performance shops around the world.
Bob

joe_lyons50023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 10:30:05 AM »

I just tried with 8 different cals from DJ(044) and Fuel moto(009) cals and every which way I was able to read and or reflash over with the stock cal with digital tech and when I put the STK. Cal back in the bike digital tech seen no traces of issues and worked just fine.  I don't have other tuners married to my bike to test loading and unloading their cals.  There is only one tuner that I know of that has an issue with this.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »

What do you do if you buy a bike and its locked with the PV and you don't get the unit?  Who can you call to fix it. I do buy used Harley's from auction.

I know in an ideal world. Everybody sells the tuning device with the bike, but how does that work with the tuning key?  Is it true the key only works with that unit?  Would one have to take that key and find the vision that programmed it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.